Let's Not Make It Complicated

Friends with Benefits
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Donghae had to leave soon after his promiscous activity with Hyukjae. He had gotten a phone call from an AD agency to whom he was referred by his last client. Any other time he wouldn't have hesitated to set up the meeting but taking a side glance at Hyukjae's side-profile, a little voice in his head was telling him that it might not be a good idea. 

"That's--That's really good to hear but, unfortunately, I don't know if I can meet up today?"

Hyukjae paused what he was doing on his phone and looked at Donghae. It was rare for Donghae to pass up any work opportunity and when he saw Donghae take another glance at him - and immediately looking away - Hyukjae's suspicions were confirmed. 

"I think I'll be more available tomo-- hey!"

Hyukjae grabbed Donghae's phone from his hand and promplty kicked him off the bed while he spoke on the phone. "Hello? Hi, yes, this is Lee Donghae's assistant." Hyukjae saw Donghae try to climb back on the bed and grabbed the pillow closest to him and smushed it over his face to keep him from saying anything. Not at all caring whether or not he was suffocating the other. "His schedule was just made clear this morning...yes...Absolutetly! 2:00 works great -- of course, thank you! I'll let him know."

Hyukjae hung up the phone and threw it randomly somewhere on the bed before taking the pillow off of Donghae. The latter gasped (Hyukjae would say quite exaggeratedly) for air then glared at him. 

"Yah! Are you trying to kill me?"

"Relax. It's not like you actually died." Hyukjae went back to lean his back against Donghae's bed frame and started scrolling on his phone. "You have an appointment with 'Sunrise' agency in two hours so I'd suggest you go get ready now."

Donghae cursed then whined at having to do anything today. "Aish - why did you do that? I was going to meet them tomorrow."

Hyukjae didn't bother to look at him when he responded. "Because you were being an idiot."

"Yah! I was not!"

"Yes, you were."

"How?!"

"You were worried about hurting my feelings after what we just did." Hyukjae paused then turned to Donghae who's cheeks were painted a slight tint of pink. "You said nothing had to change between us."

"Y-Yeah," Donghae agreed but then suddenly felt shy for reasons he doesn't quite understand. "I did, but...I just, wasn't s-sure, if you-"

"If I what?" Hyukjae cut him off. "If I've already fallen in love with you?" Donghae flushed which made Hyukjae laugh out loud. 

"That's not what I meant!" Donghae argued over Hyukjae's laughter. 

"Oh,come on, Hae." Hyukjae said in between his laughter. "Okay, I admit. It was great but it wasn't that great." At the indignant look Donghae shot him, Hyukjae had to quickly defend himself when Donghae hit him with a pillow. "I wasn't a you just deflowered and I was the one that initiated the whole thing. It's fine." Hyukjae reassured. "I'm fine."

Seeing Hyukjae be silly around him again, Donghae's worries immediately fleeted away only to be replace with mild annoyance. Grumbling his way to the bathroom where Hyukjae shooed him, Donghae took his time to get ready and to mentally prepare himself for his meeting with Sunrise. Hyukjae was too busy on his phone that he didn't notice when Donghae emerged back from the bathroom or that he was approaching him. Not until his phone disappeared from his hand. 

"Hey!" Hyukjae glared at Donghae who had started looking at his phone while drying his hair - still very much with only a towel wrapped around his lower body. "Give me my phone back."

Donghae pressed a few things on Hyukjae's phone before throwing it back to him and turning around to his closet to look for clothes. Hyukjae sighed heavily but then his eyes widened when he saw that what he was looking at was all gone. He went to his blocked number list but then was hindered when his phone asked him for a password. 

"Yah, Lee Donghae, what the hell did you do on my phone?"

"Just deleted things you didn't need," Donghae simply answered as he wore his shirt over his head. He looked back at him when he started putting his pants on. "Why? Is that a problem?"

"Hae," Hyukjae started a little exasperatedly already knowing what was going on in Donghae's head. "I'm not mad at her you know."

"And I think that's the problem." Donghae walked towards the mirror to fix his hair but Hyukjae knew he was still listening to him. "Online stalking her right now is not gonna do you any good."

Hyukjae tried to argue a few more times but Donghae was persistent. He was always the better one at winning arguments and debates and Hyukjae always ends up being the one to give in in order to end their discussion. Twenty minutes later and Donghae was all set and ready to go but not before fussing over Hyukjae one last time. Hyukjae, finally having had enough of Donghae's constant nagging, had to push him out of his own apartment.

"I'm serious, Lee Hyukjae!" Donghae screamed from outside the door. "I'll kill you if I find out you did anything stupid!"

"Yeah, yeah," Hyukjae rolled his eyes at the empty threat. "Good luck on your meeting!"

Hyukjae heard a few things shuffle and Donghae mumbling about something he couldn't understand before he finally breathed a sigh of relief when he finally heard the sound of his retreating steps. Hyukjae wandered back around in Donghae's apartment suddenly more aware at the fact that he was alone. The silence in the room was deafening and every step Hyukjae took seemed to echo in his ears so he decided to sit. Then stared into nothing. 

It went on like that for two minutes before he grabbed the remote and turn the television on. First it was the news, then switched it over to a random movie which he watched for all of five seconds before switching channels again. Nature channel -- nope. Variety show -- nope. Another news channel -- nope. Music show -- not interested. Resigning to himself, Hyukjae turned off the television then drummed his fingers on his knees as he thought of what to do next. 

Luckily for him, in that moment, his phone rang. It wasn't even half-a ring in before Hyukjae answered.

"Hello!"

"Oh - uh, hi. That was fast."

Hyukjae just laughed lightheartedly as he leaned back to relax. "I was just playing on my phone, hyung. What's up?"

"I was just checking to see how you were doing. Kyuhyun said he saw Sihyun at the airport."

Hyukjae's smile fell as he suddenly realized what the call was about. "Uhh...really? Did he...say anything?"

"Just that Sihyun said she's leaving for Europe with indefinite plans on returning." Hyukjae could hear worry in Leeteuk's voice and wanted to ressure him that he was okay before he turns into another version of a mama bear. "Hyuk, I don't understand. What's going? Where are you?"

"I'm fine, hyung," Hyukjae assured before Leeteuk could hit him with another series of questions. "I'm at Donghae's house right now but I'm about to head to my apartment. If you want we can meet there in an hour to talk."

"In your apartment? Are you sure that's a good idea?"

"Yes, hyung," Hyukjae affirmed. "It's still my apartment I have to go back there some time."

"Okay, Hyuk. If you're sure. I'll see you there."

"Okay, hyung. Bye."

"Bye."

Hyukjae hung up the phone and took a few moments to gather himself. It seemed to finally sink in in his head that his fiance had left him and that he had just slept with his long-time best friend barely 24 hours after her having left him. Hyukjae groaned and hid his face behind his hands as he pondered the moral conflicts of his situation. Was he still cheating if she had left him already? Was he destr

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter