The End and The Beginning

Friends with Benefits
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Hyukjae laid on his bed blankly looking at the ceiling. His fingers over his chest mindlessly twiddling with each other as his mind wandered back to that split second moment back in the closet when he thought he heard Donghae say something before they both got interrupted by Siwon and Sungmin. The more he thought about it the more he felt restless. 

Did he really say it or is my mind playing tricks on me again?

Hyukjae groaned and grabbed the pillow over his head as he shifted to his side. Peering at the clock by his nightstand, he sighed disappointed at himself when he saw the time. 1:30 AM. He has been in bed for the past four hours and knew there was no way sleep would come to him any time soon. Slowly getting up from his bed, Hyukjae looked around and wondered if he should go check on Donghae in the living room. He'd deny it if ever asked but it bothered him a little that the latter still hadn't tried to sneak into his bed with him tonight.

Ever since Donghae forced him to let him stay with him, Donghae would make up all sort of excuses to slip into Hyukjae's bed. From being cold to having a nightmare to even just being plain lonely. No matter how ridiculous his excuses were, Hyukjae would always give in - if not for his own hidden desire to feel Donghae's warmth next to him. 

Carefully getting out of bed, Hyukjae slowly opened his bedroom door and peered his head outside to see if he could check in on Donghae without getting found out. The light in his living room was still on but everything else was silent. Wondering what Donghae was up to, Hyukjae walked out of his room and was surprised to see his couch empty. He walked towards the kitchen and found Donghae hunched over the dining table with his head in between his arms. Frowning at his obviously uncomfortable position, Hyukjae wondered why the latter would fall fall asleep in the kitchen like this. 

"Donghae," he called but didn't receive any response back. Hyukjae walked closer to him and lightly shook Donghae awake. It took a minute but Donghae finally stirred out of his slumber and squinted his eyes up at Hyukjae. 

"Hyuk? What time is it?"

"1:45," Hyukjae answered then followed it up with his own question. "Why are you sleeping in here?"

Donghae wiped his eyes then looked at the kitchen clock as though to confirm that Hyukjae was telling the truth. 

"I was talking with Heechul hyung and I must have fallen asleep."

"Heechul hyung?" Hyukjae asked confused. "He's still up this late?"

"Only cause I pestered him for an update," Donghae mumbled trying to get out of his sleepy state. 

"Update? Update to what?"

"Uhh...the-the leak," Donghae said remembering the lie he told Hyukjae. "He said there's still flood in my apartment so I can't go back yet."

"Really? It's been more than a week. Maybe we should call someone else to check on your place."

"Nah, it's fine." Donghae stood up and stretched his back forward then side to side. Once he felt more refreshed he turned towards Hyukjae and a similar question popped in his head. "What are you doing here in the middle of the night?"

"Oh. Uhm..." Hyukjae felt flustered at the sudden question. He was too embarrassed to say that he was looking for Donghae so instead he answered, "I was thirsty."

Donghae seemed to have accepted his answer and just nodded his head. Moving around each other, Hyukjae went to grab a glass of water while Donghae leaned against the sink and watched him.  There was a comfortable silence between them as they were more than used to each other's presence but there was still something nagging at the back of Hyukjae's mind. Taking a small sip of his drink, Hyukjae turned around to face Donghae but felt the words he wanted to say stuck at the tip of his tongue when he saw Donghae's gentle gaze directed at him. He gulped and tensed up under his gaze. 

"Are you okay?" Donghae asked worried. 

Hyukjae still couldn't find his voice so instead he nodded his head as an answer. Donghae didn't quite believe him though as he could clearly see that there was something bothering him, but before he could voice out his concern, they were interrupted by someone ringing Hyukjae's doorbell. Both men quickly turned towards the door -- baffled at the sudden interruption. 

"Were you expecting anyone?" Donghae asked even though he already knew the answer. 

"At 2:00 in the morning? No." Hyukjae moved towards the door to check on his surprise visitor but Donghae pulled him back. 

"I'll go check it."

"It's my apartment. Why would it be for you?"

Donghae didn't bother to answer Hyukjae and walked closer to the door. He placed his hand on the door knob and peered through the peephole but all he saw was a person's black hoodie. The man pressed the doorbell one more time so Donghae decided to ask for his name first. 

"Who is it?"

Almost immediately, Donghae saw the man run away from the door which alerted Donghae. Opening the door in haste, Donghae went out to the hallway but decided not to pursue after him after he saw the man exit towards the staircase. His eyes glaring after him and did a quick check of his surroundings to see if he had anyone else with him. Once he was sure that there was nobody else in the hallway, Donghae went back inside Hyukjae's apartment and made sure to engage the lock and chain of Hyukjae's front door. 

"Donghae?" Hyukjae's worried voice reached Donghae's ears. "What's going on? Who was that?"

"I don't know." Donghae answered. "But maybe it's best we don't answer any more of your late night suitors."

Hyukjae crossed his brows and pouted his lips to show his dislike at Donghae's joke. "That's not funny."

"Don't worry about it. He's gone." Donghae tried to take Hyukjae's mind off it by clinging on his arms and pulling him towards the bedroom. "Come on, let's sleep. It's late."

"Hae-"

Donghae interrupted Hyukjae by letting out a prolonged loud yawn then more tugging of his arm that Hyukjae had no choice but to give in to his childish demands but not without first making a fuss. Donghae giggled and let Hyukjae nag at him. He was just glad that Hyukjae didn't further prod into whoever it was that came knocking on his door at this ungodly hour; but, whoever that was, Donghae highly doubted that he stopped by just to say hello. 

~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~

"IDIOT!" Hyerin screamed and grabbed the nearest item she could get her hands on, which was an expensive looking porcelain vase, and threw it at the man in front of her. The man barely avoided the vase that was coming at him but did keep his head low despite the shattered glass that eventually surrounded him and the water that soaked the hem of his jeans. 

"I-I'm sorry!" He apologized again knowing that there was nothing he could say that would fix her temper. 

"I hired you to do one thing! ONE!" She yelled then screamed out the rest of her frustration. Running a quick hand over hair with eyes wide out of anger, Hyerin could barely contain the strong range of emotions going through her. Grabbing a random glass figurine that was placed in front of her eyesight, Hyerin grabbed it and threw it at the man in front of her. "GET OUT! OUT!"

He didn't need to be told twice before the man was scrambling with his feet and out the door to get as far away as he could from Hyerin's current crazed state. On his way out, he managed to pass by Hyerin's private P.I. who watched him leave with interest. 

"Bad day?"

Hyerin glared at him before reaching for the bottle of whiskey and pouring herself a glass. "If you're here to make it worse then leave."

He chuckled and ignored Hyerin's attitude as he dared to get closer to her and grabbed the glass right out of her hands. Her eyes flared even more and just when she was about to hit him with her bare hands, he presented a yellow envelope in front of her face. Momentarily distracted, she snatched it out of his hands and opened it. 

"What the hell is this?"

"That is an open offer to Lee Hyukjae to join Time Slip dance choreography school in the U.S.." The P.I. took a sip of the drink he snatched from her and smiled in delight. "Damn, that's smooth. Is this imported?"

"Cut the crap. What the hell am I supposed to do with this document?" She threw the papers away and crossed her arms. "I asked you to get me dirt on him. Not show me that more people wants his ."

The P.I. laughed at her crude remark as he sat himself down on one of the big foreign looking chairs in her living room and got comfortable. 

"Actually, you told me to get you something that can get Lee Hyukjae away from Lee Donghae."

Hyerin huffed not following what he was trying to say. "And?"

"And I bet you can guess the reason why he's not taking it."

Hyerin rolled her eyes. Obviously not in the mood for any sort of riddles. "If you don't get to the point soon, I swear I-"

"Donghae." He snapped in an obvious drawl. "They care for each other too much and when Donghae finds out that Hyukjae's been putting off his dreams because of him, do you think he'd really be selfish enough to not let him go?" He took another sip of his drink as he watched Hyerin's face process the idea that he was offering her. Slamming the glass down on the coffee table, he smirked when Hyerin still looked unsure. "Look, I've dug through their lives all the way until they were in diapers. There's nothing much you can expose about them other than the fact that they love each other."

"Shut up."

The P.I. raised his hands and backed away. "Sorry. I forgot that was a sensitive topic for you."

Growling at his obvious disregard to the matter, Hyerin grabbed the documents from the table and stomped back to her room to think. The P.I. watched after her while reaching for the drink he left on the table, he leaned back on the chair and released an exhausted sigh. He knows it was probably wrong of him to be exploiting the boys with his skills but for 500,000 won, he's more than willing to turn a blind eye to it and let things fall where they may. Afterall, all's fair in love and war. 

~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~

The following day, Donghae dropped Hyukjae off as per their new routine. Once he was sure that he was inside the studio safely (and a quick hello/teasings with Hyukjae's students) Donghae turned around to make finally call Heechul and update him about the events of the night before when he caught sight of something that immediately ruined his day. Scowling at her sight, Donghae quickly diverted to a different route but it was too late. She already

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter