Different? Not so Different

Friends with Benefits
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Leeteuk drove like a maniac as Kangin tried to keep his focus on giving him directions rather than the potential danger his life may be in with the speed that Leeteuk was going. He doesn't think Leeteuk's foot ever left the gas ever since they left the station. The siren of his car blaring loudly while he honked at other drivers and pedestrians to get out of his way.

"Make a left by that build-ngh!" Kangin choked on his words as Leeteuk made a sharp turn and sped up even more upon sight of the familiar building. Kangin's eyes widened at their speed as he held on the car's handlebar with both hands. "Yah! Are you trying to crash your way in there!?"

"They've had Hyukjae for nearly 24 hours Kangin." Leeteuk's eyes never left the road as his grip on the wheel tightened. "If that's what I have to do to save him, I will."

Kangin whimpered silently to himself and chose to keep his mouth shut on the subject. There's nothing much anyone can do when it comes to Leeteuk's dongsaeng. Not even the devil himself would stand a chance against Leeteuk's big brother streak. However, from a distance,  Kangin noticed something that made him squint his eyes. Due to years of relying on his deductive skills and keen observation, he was able to quickly recognize Donghae's car and repeatedly told Leeteuk to slow down. 

"Teuk! Leeteuk, stop!" Kangin turned to him then placed a hand on his arm as he continued to plead for the latter to slow down. "That's Donghae's car, Teukie! You're gonna hit him!"

Despite glancing at Kangin with slight confusion, Leeteuk followed his instincts and slammed his foot on the break. It took a while to come to a complete stop and both men's entire body was tensed as the car skidded to a stop with Leeteuk's hand gripping tightly on the wheel and Kangin's own hand placed on the dashboard. The two police cars who were following them from behind also screeched and swerved to a stop next to them. It took a couple of seconds but the adrenaline from Leeteuk's reckless driving slowly subsided as he and Kangin both slowly looked up to see Donghae and Siwon glaring menacingly at them. 

~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~

*Few hours earlier*

While Leeteuk and Kangin raced their way to where Hyukjae was being held captive, Donghae and Siwon both got a little head start as Donghae drove the two of them to the address that was given to Siwon on the letter. Even though both men's main priority was to save Hyukjae, it still didn't deter them from taking advantage of that short time of opportunity to confront some of the issues they've had with each other. 

"This is bull!" Donghae yelled at Siwon as he honked at an innocent pedestrian who jumped out of his way. "I knew getting Hyukjae involved with you again was a bad idea. I never should've let him work with you in the first place!"

Siwon held the handlebar on his side with a scowl plastered on his face as his entire body swayed to the right while Donghae made a sharp left turn to take a detour and avoid the incoming traffic he saw ahead. 

"First of all, Hyukjae's always been safe with me! If anyone's put him in danger here it's you! Hyerin's been your problem from the get go all because you couldn't keep it in your pants."

Donghae growled at Siwon's accusation as he slammed his foot on the gas pedal and sped through a red light. 

"If you knew about Hyerin then why the hell would you work with her in the first place?!"

"I didn't!" Siwon argued loudly then in a more calming manner said, "at least not at first." He looked at Donghae and saw the other turn to him quickly just to send him a look of disbelief. He sighed and knew his explanation probably wouldn't make up for what he's about to say but there were more pressing matters to worry about and he needed to make sure Donghae keeps his head together. "Look, I admit that the whole point of me sponsoring this production was because I wanted to get close to Hyukjae."

"I ing knew it!"

Ignoring Donghae's outburst, Siwon continued. 

"Hyerin came in as a sponsor and I had no reason to doubt her intentions but then she offered to help me with Hyukjae and I thought that was really inquisitive and nice of her to do that." Donghae scoffed and rolled his eyes at Siwon's naivety which, again, the latter chose to ignore. "It wasn't until she told me to take Hyukjae to America that I suddenly became suspicious of her real intentions."

"You were gonna do WHAT?!"

"Donghae!" Siwon screamed with wide eyes as he pointed out to Donghae that he was about to run over a vendor. Donghae, barely missing him by a split second, quickly turned the steering wheel to the side in order to avoid the poor unsuspecting ice cream man. The car nearly flipped at the sudden change of direction but thankfully didn't hit much of anything else. Donghae was too high on emotions so he decided to stop the car where they were and allowed himself some time to calm down. Siwon too was a little stunned from his near-death experience that his shallow breathing matched Donghae's.

There was a short silence that settled between the two of them as their brains seemed to have finally caught up with them in the present time. Everything about the whole situation slowly unraveling before them as they slowly realized how crazy and insane the whole arrangement has been. 

"You can't take him," was the first thing Donghae said to Siwon causing the latter to look at him in mild confusion. Donghae's voice was soft and he sounded small which Siwon wasn't quite used to. "Please don't take him away from me, Siwon-ah," Donghae turned to the latter sitting next to him with tears in his eyes but hands still gripping tightly on the wheel. 

Siwon was taken aback seeing Donghae so vulnerable that he had to look away. He focused his eyes on his feet while his jaw tightened at what he was about to say next. 

"I always knew Hyukjae would choose you." Siwon let out a dry laugh as his hands closed tight into a fist on his legs. He took a deep breathe to gather enough strength to look back at Donghae. "Even when we were together, and he still thought he loved me, he still always chose you. I was just the fool who loved him too much and thought if I could just get you away from him then maybe, just maybe...I could have all of him to myself too."

Donghae didn't look away from Siwon but the expression in his eyes did change. The sadness was replaced with a look of apology but also a twinge of happiness because here was his rival of nearly 10 years telling him that Hyukjae has loved him the same all along and he was the bigger fool for taking too long to realize it because he was too much of a coward to admit to anything. 

"I'm not lying when I tell you that I had no idea what Hyerin was up to until recently." Siwon looked away in shame then released a heavy sigh after. "When she told me that I could have Hyukjae to myself in America because you would no longer be in the picture, I realized to myself that what she was really trying to do was get Hyukjae out of the picture so she can have you to herself." A short chuckle erupted from him at the parallel he drew and Siwon couldn't help but rub his face in shame. "It reminded me a lot of myself. She reminded me of how much I hurt Hyukjae when I told him that he couldn't have the both of us...when I made him choose to keep me or you because I was too selfish and self-conscious that someone else was making him happy more than I could."

All the anger and jealousy Donghae felt about Siwon disappeared in that moment as he felt more sympathetic towards his situation. Those were the exact feelings he had regarding Siwon before which is why he's kept his mouth shut about his feelings for Hyukjae. He was too selfish to completely give him up so he kept what he could and decided to never let it go. Now, he just might lose the other before he could even get a do-over and show him properly how much he loves him. 

"I'm sorry, Siwon," Donghae apologized sincerely. "I...I don't really know what I can say to you right now but you should know, you did make Hyukjae happy." Saying those words felt like acid in Donghae's mouth but he knew he needed to say it. "I'm-I'm sorry I was too harsh on you but when I saw how hurt Hyukjae was after you guys broke up, you just became the number one scumbag in the world to me and I guess I never really took into consideration your feelings or thoughts on the matter."

A small smile of understanding appeared on Siwon's face and that was enough to break the tension between the two of them. Donghae turned his eyes back on the road and looked at the map on his phone to see how far away he was from saving Hyukjae. The device estimated that it would take him another 10 minutes to reach their destination but Donghae couldn't wait that long. Stepping on the gas of his car, Donghae zoomed past the green light and turned right, swearing to himself and Hyukjae that he'd reach their destination in five. 

True to his word, Donghae reached the abandoned building where Hyukjae was held captive in 4 minutes and 48 seconds. The illegal turns and near hit-and-runs that he may have caused were quickly forgotten as he and Siwon got out of the car and approached the lone man leaning against a black van taking a smoke. Donghae inhaled sharply and approached him with caution. 

"You must be the infamous Lee Donghae," he said with a smirk as he blew smoke out of his mouth. "It's nice to finally meet you. I'm Kim Hayeon," he flicked the cigarette he was using off to the side and reached a hand out to Donghae which the latter didn't bother to shake. Smirking at the shake down he turned to Siwon and greeted him, this time his hands were placed inside his pockets. "Choi Siwon...man, she really played you like a fiddle, didn't she?"

Siwon's never wanted to kill anyone in his life but this man was coming close to breaking his virtue. 

"Where's Hyukjae?" Siwon demanded menacingly causing Hayeon to raise his hand in mock fear. 

"Hey, come on, now guys. You really think it's that easy?" Hayeon shook his head while laughing. "I just want to make things clear between us that I, personally, don't have anything against Hyukjae-ssi. He's very nice and lovely. I could clearly see why you two would be fighting over him. His skin was so soft to touch and his face-"

Hayeon didn't have time to finish his taunting as Donghae's fist landed on his face causing him to fall straight to the ground. Donghae immediately went after him and grabbed him by the collar then slammed him against the side of the van as hard as he could.

"You son of a !" He growled as his eyes glared at him and his hands shook with fury. "Where's Hyukjae!?"

Hayeon merely sneered at Donghae's intimidation and spat the blood that pooled in his mouth to the side. "I guess she was right about the temper."

Donghae tightened his hold on Hayeon and was very close on choking him. Sensing that Donghae's anger was more than just to intimidate, Hayeon leaned further against the van, hoping to create some distance between his neck and Donghae's hands, just enough to get his words out. 

"I just want you to know, if they call me and I don't answer, Hyukjae dies."

Anger was Donghae's only response at that threat and grabbed him by the throat then slammed him again against the van causing a small dent where he landed.

"Donghae!" Siwon called and grabbed both of his arms to try and pull him away from Haye

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter