Ch. G: Threat

Hiraeth.
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

We come to love not by finding the perfect person, but by learning to see an imperfect person perfectly.

- Sam Keen

Aurora inserted her key and opened the door to their apartment. Her mood had completely gone down and all she wanted was to get a shower and go to sleep. It rained on her way back and her clothes were soaked because she ignored the weather report and was too stubborn to take an umbrella with her. She heaved a sigh when she noticed Jungkook sitting on the couch watching some television. As innocent as he always pretended to be, but for the moment, Aurora couldn't let it pass and she felt slightly irritated with him. Aurora didn't know why, but Mariah's words lingered on her mind throughout the whole way back. She thought Mariah was stupid for asking her such a favor. But then, she was right. Jungkook was someone who deserved love and it made Aurora feel bad that Jungkook chose her to get it from.

Even though it hurt her to acknowledge, Mariah was more suited for him and the fact that they slept with each other in the past and Jungkook took a liking in her proved it. Aurora couldn't help but feel slightly jealous and mad at the thought that Jungkook never told her that he slept with Mariah before. That she had to hear it from Mariah herself. His ex-girlfriend.

But on another thought, it was Aurora's own fault. She never made any effort to know more about Jungkook.

"I'm home," Aurora said, immediately pulling Jungkook's attention. Jungkook broke into a smile and there was a slight frown on his face. "You're wet." He stated, matter-of-factly. Aurora rolled her eyes and shrugged off her wet and heavy jacket. In a blink of an eye, Jungkook went to the bathroom and returned with a towel. His eyes lingered on her face to take in her beauty, before laying the towel over her head and helping her to dry her hair.

Jungkook's eyes kept looking at her and Aurora felt slightly irritated that he was looking at her like that. She subtly turned her head and stepped away, taking the towel over from him. Jungkook smiled, oblivious to her actions and stepped closer to try again. But Aurora turned away from him again and let out a sigh.

"I can do it myself." She curtly told him. Jungkook froze and his smile fell. "What's wrong?" he asked. Aurora shrugged and avoided his eyes. Jungkook frowned and grabbed her chin in between his fingers, forcing her to look at him.

"Why are you angry with me?" Jungkook asked.

"I'm not!" Her voice raised, and Jungkook widened his eyes. He was used to Aurora throwing tantrums once in a while, but not this time, especially not if they were on good terms before she left. Something must have happened to her and Jungkook was determined to find that out.

"Aurora baby," Jungkook muttered when Aurora's eyes looked watery with tears. She didn't understand herself. She didn't want to yell at him, and she beat herself up for letting Mariah infiltrate her thoughts and make her feel mad and angry for something that had happened many years ago. She was so frustrated with herself.

"I'm tired. I'm sorry." Aurora quickly apologized, and she turned to head to their room, but Jungkook quickly followed her and grabbed onto her wrist to stop her. Aurora's tears started to fall and she bit her on her lip to keep her demons inside.

"Did something happen, Aurora baby?"

That was it. The word "baby" was too much for her. Aurora pushed Jungkook back by his shoulders and looked at him angrily. "Don't call me that!"

"What?" Jungkook gasped, surprised by her sudden outburst.

"I'm not your baby!" she shouted through gritted teeth. Her anger was boiling inside and she couldn't point out the reason why. Was this Mariah's venom? Did she intend to meet up with her and indirectly cause a fight between them?

"Of course you are! Baby—"

Aurora stepped back when Jungkook took a step closer. When he sensed that she was cautious of him,

he turned serious and heaved a sigh. "What happened?"

"Nothing happened."

"Then why are you angry?" Jungkook frowned, as he grew irritated of the feeling being the only one that was oblivious of this absurd situation.

"I met up with Mariah."

His whole body froze upon hearing her name. His mind went completely blank and a small part of him hoped that she was talking about another Mariah than the one Jungkook had known, but seeing her angry expression, he realized it was the same person. He knew how Mariah could be and how her words could have tainted Aurora. For the first time, Jungkook felt determined to get to the bottom of this topic, even if it would tear open his heart again, but for the sake of Aurora.

"What did she say?" His eyes darkened and his voice went deeper. He quickly dropped his patience and stared at her sternly. Aurora closed her eyes frustrated before she ran up to him and pushed his shoulders again. Jungkook didn't budge and grabbed her wrist to stop her, eyeing her with that cold look he had given many of his victims, and it pained him that he had to do this too to get answers from her. Aurora flinched by the sudden tense grip and she let out a cry.

"Let go."

"We need to talk."

"There's nothing to talk about!"

"There is! How do you know Mariah?"

"Ouch!" She flinched again when his grip got tighter. "Hey, let go!"

Jungkook heaved a sigh and let go of her wrist. Aurora stumbled back and looked at him angrily, her hands slowly reaching for her wrist.

"Let's talk this calmly over dinner. Fighting like this won't help." He rubbed his forehead in frustration before he headed to the kitchen. Aurora watched his back and a feeling of regret went through her. She didn't like to see Jungkook like that. Forgoing his own temper to adjust himself to Aurora's temper. It had always been like that because Jungkook didn't want to lose her. He was capable of doing a lot if it was for Aurora and Aurora was a bad person to take it for granted.

She calmed herself and let out a sigh. "What got into me?" she thought to herself.

Slowly following his way to the kitchen, she eyed his back that stood near the microwave and quietly pulled a chair back to sit down. The draft papers from her previous drawing session were still there. Grabbing the pencil, she started to draw again like a little kid. Jungkook eyed her from the corner of his eyes before he proceeded to take out two plates from the shelves above him and placed it on the table.

There was a silence between them. Only the soft ticking of the clock and the spoon stirring in the cooker was hearable.

Aurora got tense. Her pencil occasionally slipped from her fingers when her thoughts didn't correlate with the concept of her drawings. Her focus was off.

She eyed the window behind her and noticed that it had started to rain again. The sky was dark and a bright flash made her flinch. It was raining and thundering. Jungkook the lights and turned off the stove. Putting the serving bowl down on the table, Aurora eyed him and thought whether he was trying to annoy her. That stupid habit of him.

Aurora turned herself around and grabbed a pile of thick newspaper and shove it underneath the serving bowl. It was hotter than she thought and a sting of pain went through her body when she couldn't retreat her arm in time and her pale skin burned under the heat. She didn't make a sound in pain, but instead, she eyed it with a scrunched up nose. Karma is a .

Jungkook who had seen it all shook his head lightly and put down the towel. He grabbed her wrist lightly and turned her arm to look at the freshly burnt skin on the inner side of her forearm. "I told yo

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter