Ch. E: Contrast

Hiraeth.
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

When written in Chinese, the word "Crisis" is composed of two characters

- one represents danger and the other represents opportunity.

- J. F. Kennedy.

It was morning. The sunlight seeped in through the curtains and reached her legs, a nice glow of warmth embracing her skin when she rubbed the sleep out of her eyes. She didn't remember when she fell asleep on the couch and curled up into a ball, while she was waiting for him to come back. She sat up on the couch and looked around, the blankets falling off her body as she turned around to peek into the rooms from where she sat. He hadn't returned yet. She was still on her own. Disappointment hit her and she felt a hole inside her chest. It was that awful empty feeling returning inside of her ever since Jungkook left the apartment and left her unknown of his whereabouts. She felt her eyes were dry and tired, even red when she remembered that she had been crying. Soon, the clock sounded at 10 am. Her eyes shifted to the clock and she looked around the room again, still the same as it was before she had fallen asleep. Nothing had changed and Jungkook promised her that he would be here by the time she woke up.

"Where was he?" Aurora thought. She bit her lip and crossed her legs. Her back was aching and stiff from the position she had laid in. Jungkook warned her many times that she shouldn't sleep on the couch, but still, up till now, the couch gave her the most comfort. Maybe, because the times she woke up on the couch was when Jungkook woke her up. She was conditioned to see him whenever she woke up from the couch. But today, it was a disappointment when she simply woke up to herself and didn't see him.

She stared at the television with a blank expression, while she lightly nibbled on her thumb. Her feet started tapping out of nervosity. She didn't know what to expect from this situation. She didn't know what to do. When her phone beeped in the distance, she remembered that she had left it in the bathroom. A feeling of anxiety rushed through her.

Could it be?

She could barely keep up with her own legs when she ran towards the bathroom. Once she found it sitting on the edge of the sink, she held onto it tightly, but her sight started to get clouded with dark spots. Her head dazzled and she grabbed the doorknob for support. The sudden rush of adrenaline and movement in her body was too much for her when she had just woken up. She felt the blood rushing down her cheeks to her body. Her arms and legs had a tingling sensation and her ears were blocked by the thundering of her heartbeat. Once she felt nausea subsiding, she lit up the screen of her phone.

Two missed calls were displayed, along with a voicemail message on her home screen. She frowned and looked at the number. It wasn't the first time she got a call from that specific number. In fact, it had been the third time this week and every time, she made a mental note to block it, but she always end up forgetting to do it. Her fingers pressed the digits and she pressed the phone against her ear, letting the electronic voice send pulses through her brain and let her process what this voicemail was all about.

Hi, it's me. I know it's been a long time since we have spoken, but can you call me back once you get this message?

Aurora pressed the red button and looked out of the small window from her bathroom. She was confused, but at the same time intrigued by this caller. It was the first time she heard his voice behind that number.

And she couldn't quite put it.

That person was a stranger to her. His voice didn't recall anything in her mind, let alone make her feel like she was forgetting someone. To her, he was just a stranger who might have dialed the wrong number. But that would be wrong since it didn't quite match with the multiple attempts he tried to call her. It wouldn't be possible to have a stalker, because everybody forgot about her long ago and no one knew about her relationship with Jungkook. She was known as the girl who disappeared from the world since the moment she stood on the bridge.

But the only thing that didn't connect very well with this was how she was still alive and living well with a boyfriend who had a gun. There was something odd going on, and Aurora started to scratch her skin out of distress. Seeing the red marks on her forearm, she sighed and eyed the bathtub. She put down her phone and walked over to turn on the tap and fill the tub with lukewarm water. Slowly stripping herself down, she stepped into the tub and eyed the clock on the wall across her.

10:17 am.

She made sure the water level reached her shoulders, before leaning back and slowly sliding down until her breath was being snatched away and her head was fully underwater.

That time was 10:18 am.

.

.


.

...

With the gun in his hand, Jungkook knocked on the door and waited. Footsteps were hearable and a door lock slid open before it was put ajar and that person eyed him darkly. "Jungkook Hayslett?" He asked. Jungkook nodded slowly and waited for him to remove the lock on his door. He took a look at his watch and bit his lip when he realized that he was late. The mission took him almost the whole night and he was still not ready to start the last part of his mission. The clean-up part.

The door opened up again and he eyed the person standing in front of him. His eyes traced down towards the toddlers standing behind him and one of them holding onto the man's leg. A little girl and boy, almost from the same age, but the little girl looked more mature as she did not cling onto the man's leg like her little brother did and was a head taller than him.

"Daddy, who is he?" The small boy asked the man who was his father.

"Jungkook put away that gun." The man hissed at him. Jungkook narrowed his eyes and heaved a sigh.

"I don't have time for this. Listen Jimin—"

"We will talk, but not in front of my kids with that thing in your hand!" Jimin cut him off and urged him through gritted teeth. Jungkook rolled his eyes annoyed. He didn't like Jimin ordering him around and that was mostly because of jealousy. He disliked the fact that his life was better than his as he had kids to protect. He had a family to look after. He built a home and was living separately from the world Jungkook and Jimin used to be in as partners in crime. Jimin was lucky enough to be able to escape from it, but Jungkook was not.

Jungkook pushed the gun behind his belt and raised his hands to show that he was empty-handed. Jimin raised his eyebrows and chuckled in response.

"Okay, and now loosen up. You look like you came to kill me." He joked, but Jungkook frowned. Jimin

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter