Ch. F: Underdog

Hiraeth.
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The tragedy of life is not death but what we let die inside of is while we live.

-Norman Cousins

Once Jungkook reached the front door, he searched through his pockets and cursed under his breath. He forgot where he had put his keys. He didn't want to knock and interrupt if Aurora was still sleeping. Although it was already noon, Jungkook wasn't sure how many sleeping pills he gave her to predict the hours she would be sleeping.

When his hand d around in his pocket, he felt the metal keys scraping his dry skin and a smile got up to his face. Lowering his head to take it out, the door suddenly opened which surprised him. His eyes shot up and he met eyes with his lovely girl.

Aurora.

"Hey baby, why are you—" he couldn't finish when his eyes caught on what she was wearing. "Where are you going?"

There was concern laced in his voice. The sight of Aurora leaving the apartment made him feel uncomfortable. He didn't like it whenever Aurora went out without telling him beforehand. Aurora blinked her eyes and looked at him. It was surprising to see him at the door after she was worried about his wellbeing. But seeing him standing there like how he had always looked, she let out a sigh of relief.

"Hi, Jungkook." She monotonously answered him as she stepped closer to wrap her arms around his neck and pull him into a hug. The scent of him lingered around her nose and she closed her eyes for a split second to take in his presence. Jungkook's heart jumped from her breath that against his ear, as he broke into a smile. Wrapping his arms around her back, he held her tightly against him and rested his chin on her shoulder.

"I'm home." He muttered. Aurora nodded and pulled away, much to Jungkook's distaste, but he stayed silent. Staring at her face, she avoided his eyes and pulled up her bag higher on her shoulder.

"I have to go." She muttered. Jungkook hated to hear those words. It could be interpreted in so many ways and he was never sure which one she would have implied. But little did he know that Aurora had the same exact thoughts when he said it to Aurora, so Aurora was making sure Jungkook would feel it too by intentionally hiding the details of her outing. Although this time, she wasn't intending. It was a meeting she wouldn't want anyone to know about. Not even Jungkook. She had only planned to meet her shortly at a coffee shop and then return quickly to avoid staying out too long.

Aurora was never a person to go out often. Their apartment was like a shield from the outer world, and she enjoyed that. And seeing Jungkook having finally returned, there was a split second where she thought of canceling it and wanting to spend time with him. But someone contacted her and wanted to meet up. So, she had to go.

"Do you really have to go?" Jungkook asked, frowning. His voice was merely hearable and the way how he combed through her semi-wet hair with his fingers, suffocated her. She knew Jungkook was going to miss her, but for this one time, she wanted him to bear with it.

"I'll be back soon. Don't worry." Aurora told him, before inching closer and pressing a kiss on his cheek. Jungkook gave her a wry smile, before taking her chin in between his fingers and pulling her in for a kiss on the lips.

"Be careful."

...

Aurora felt watched when she rounded the corner of the street. Occasionally, she would turn around and look if someone was following her. But every time, there was no one. She quickened her pace and let out a sigh of relief when the dark coffee sign met her eyes.

Pushing the door open, she eyed the room with the scent of coffee beans entering her nose. She couldn't stand the loudness of the coffee machines when they prepared coffee continuously, so she wished that this meeting would be short. She wasn't a coffee person, either and she hated the smell of it. Every morning when Jungkook pours himself a cup of coffee, she would scrunch her nose and glare at him with a disgusted look. She hated it from the bottom of her heart.

Aurora headed over to the counter

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter