Ch. I: Russian Roulette

Hiraeth.
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Opposition provides choices, and choices bring consequences - good or bad.

- Ezra Taft Benson

The room smelled of cigarettes as RM patiently waited in the living room. Aurora was sitting on the couch and eyeing out of the window. Her posture calm and relaxed, while on the other hand, Mariah was nervously pacing back and forth. Jungkook hadn't woken up, yet. The injury on the back of his head was bloody. His hands and feet were seized behind his back and onto the chair, as he sat in the center of the room unconscious, his head lowered and his chin against his chest.

"I believe he has slept enough. Mariah, wake him up." RM ordered her. Mariah flinched and looked over to Jungkook. Aurora could see the look in her eyes. She cared for him, no, she loved him and this could be a weakness to them. Aurora made sure to keep an eye on Mariah. She has been through so much and she couldn't bear to let Mariah ruin all this. Even though, the guilt and ache in her heart were eating her up from the inside. Even if this was planned from the start, she couldn't help but feel sorry for Jungkook. He made her feel things nobody had ever made her feel before.

"Was this love?" Aurora shook her head at the thought. Aurora has never known love before. For the same thing, this could be blamed for that one small part that is still human, which she had never managed to throw away. What a pity Aurora was. Aurora watched Mariah reluctantly turn around and follow RM's order. She headed towards the kitchen, avoiding the shards of plates on the ground and she the tap for water.

In the meantime, RM eyed Aurora with a smirk. He was looking at her with great pride.

"You did a great job, Aurora," RM said, but Aurora just ignored him. He knew just as Jungkook that she wasn't easy to talk to. She was cold and distant and sometimes stuck inside that little world of hers.

And since her job was almost finished, she didn't want to give RM the satisfaction that she was doing the job because of him. Aurora had her own reasons and those reasons seemed to be ridiculous to her once she got to the final stages of her plan. Jungkook did her nothing. Jungkook cared for her. He made Aurora his girlfriend. His love. The ache in her heart was growing. The clouds that covered the sun made everything look gloomy and it matched with her temper. When Mariah returned from the kitchen with a glass of water, she found herself standing in front of Jungkook. Aurora saw his fingers twitching behind his back. He was waking up. Mariah hurriedly kneeled down when she heard a groan escaping Jungkook's mouth. His head started to move and his eyes shot open. Mariah cupped his face and forced him to look her in the eyes.

"Jungkook, are you okay?" Mariah hurriedly asked him. Jungkook stared at her hard without saying anything, before he tugged onto the ropes with his arms.

"What's going on?" He snapped. RM uncrossed his legs and sat back in his seat with crossed arms, eyeing him amused. "Welcome back." He told him. Jungkook frowned. "What happened? Where's Aurora?!" Jungkook hissed. He hadn't seen her sitting behind him yet and seeing his concern, Aurora was stunned. He shouldn't be concerned, especially not if this was all because of Aurora. RM stayed silent and tilted his head towards Aurora. "Why don't you say something to your lover? He's asking for you."

Aurora narrowed her eyes and Jungkook soon followed RM's gaze. There was shock and confusion on his face once he saw her. His eyes met with Aurora and she shortly avoided his. She couldn't bear to look at him for long. And luckily, Mariah grabbed his chin and turned his attention back to her. "Get away from me!" He snapped at her, making Mariah flinch from his sudden outburst. "Calm down. We are not going to hurt you." Mariah told him, with a weak smile. RM scoffed and stood up from his seat. "That's enough. I have been tolerating this for too long. Mariah, get away from Jungkook." Aurora noticed the spark of jealousy in his voice. He pushed Mariah aside and bent down at Jungkook's eye level. "Do whatever you want with me, but let Aurora go. She has nothing to do with this!" He spat at him.

"Hmmm... This is the first time I have seen you this worked up. It seems like Aurora has some impact on you. My Aurora." RM smiled. Jungkook widened his eyes, before narrowing them with anger. "Say that again and I will kill you."

"Kill me?" RM scoffed with a smirk. "Aurora baby, come here." Aurora stiffened. The way how he said her name with the way how Jungkook always called her felt different. She grew disgusted and unpleased. "Leave her alone! Aurora, listen." Jungkook turned his head to her. His eyes were filled with concern again. "Aurora. Get out of here! I'll keep them here. Don't look back—"

"Aurora doesn't listen to anyone. It seems you haven't figured it out by now." RM cut in, pushing him off from his chair. Jungkook growled and frowned. "I know her better than you ever have."

"Really," RM raised his eyebrows, "Then do you know that she is a killer? A pathological liar who got you like this in the first place?"

Aurora's eyes shot back to RM. He was stalling. Details shouldn't be explained that painted her badly and she couldn't deny. Deep down, she wished that he wouldn't believe those as she watched them in silence. "Aurora isn't that kind of girl you think she is. She is my companion. Your so-called lover betrayed you."

"You are lying!"

"You want proof?" He taunted. "Then Aurora baby, come here."

"Stop calling her like that!"

Aurora grew tired and stood up from the couch. Slowly, she walked over to them and for the first time since he woke up, Aurora stared right into Jungkook's soul with emotionless eyes. RM grabbed a gun and pushed it into the hands of Aurora. Immediately, Aurora skillfully cocked the gun and pointed it towards Jungkook's head.

"You want me to shoot him or Mariah?" Aurora coldly asked RM, ignoring Jungkook's gaze that was filled with disbelief.

"Aurora..." Jungkook softly muttered. Devastation took over him as he couldn't believe the girl standing in front of him was the same he had known for months. "What happened to her?" Jungkook thought.

"Did you manipulate her?" Jungkook knew RM was capable of brainwashing people and it wouldn't surprise him if he did it too with Aurora while he was -out.

RM narrowed his eyes. "I didn't even have to. News flash. This is the real Aurora. She is good at following my orders, just like you. A cold and apathetic murderer, hidden underneath a mask."

Jungkook's eyes flashed back at her, confused and hurt. But overall, he felt betrayed. How could Aurora be like this? His heart started to ache, but he didn't show. There was a spark of hope inside of him, thinking that there was a logical explanation for Aurora's behavior. He didn't want RM to intimidate him so easily, so instead, he dropped his mask and fell back to his cold self.

Two can play this game.

"If you want to kill me, then kill me," Jungkook said, and his words surprised Aurora. With a poker face, she laid her finger on the trigger. Narrowing her eyes, she felt her heart beating in . This was the first time someone was so willing to get killed. A part of her couldn't do it. But she slowly bit her lip and felt her veins throbbing in her bottom lip as she bit on it.

It took her longer than normal, but when she finally felt the courage to do so, Mariah quickly ran over and pushed her hand away. The gun fired and the bullet just missed his head by an inch. Jungkook didn't flinch one bit, instead, his eyes darkened, but so did RM'. Immediately, he grabbed Mariah by her hair and pulled her down. She shrieked and tears ran down her cheeks.

"Please

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter