Ch. D: Murderer

Hiraeth.
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

We accept the love we think we deserve.

- Stephen Chbosky

It was around two in the morning when Jungkook finally fell asleep next to Aurora in bed, but Aurora was still awake, counting the minutes in between his breathing as she watched his chest go up and down. Reaching out, she gently his cheek before pinching his nose lightly to see if he was vast asleep.

And he was.

Slowly, Aurora removed his arm from her waist and left him on the bed as she silently pulled off the blankets and stood up. She took another look over her shoulder at him, before she walked out of the room. She stopped in her track when her eyes met the metal thing on the ground. Her body turned numb and like a robot, she kneeled down and picked up the gun, eyeing the room behind her to keep a watch on Jungkook.

Aurora wondered why Jungkook didn't pick up the gun. She sensed it was from his forgetful nature, but considering the nature and danger of this item, it would be the last thing to be forgotten.

It was odd.

Her finger brushed over the trigger as she stared at it in her hand with a hard look. She was a bit surprised by how heavy it was and how people could aim once the shot had been fired. She thought of Jungkook holding the gun in his hand, aiming for someone's head and surprisingly, the notion didn't even scare her.

She was sure his hands were stained with blood, but it didn't affect her in any way. It didn't scare her or make her love him less. She was – in a way – too thick-skinned to understand her feelings for Jungkook.

Suddenly, something bright flashed through the room and the sound of thunder roared in the night. The night was dark and the moon hid behind dark clouds that were like black smoke spreading everywhere.

Aurora flinched and dropped the gun back down on the ground, not realizing that she might had woken Jungkook up accidentally. But it didn't bother her, as the rain started to clatter against the windows.

The lightning struck again and Aurora's mouth fell slightly agape.

"Aurora baby?" Jungkook called with a hoarse voice from the bedroom. Aurora turned her head towards the bedroom, catching a glimpse of Jungkook stepping out of bed before she quickly stood up and abandoned the gun on the ground and ran towards the window. With the palm of her hands pressed flat against the window glass, she felt the cold from the outside. Her finger lightly tapped against the glass window and caused small pulses for raindrops to slide their way down to the edge. Aurora's eyes followed its trails, while she feigned to be imperceptible to the sound of footsteps of the young man walking out of the bedroom.

Jungkook's foot accidentally bumped against the gun and to his horror, he was shocked to find it still on the ground. Bending down, he eyed Aurora who stood with her back to him and carefully in silence, he picked it up and slid it back to where it should have been.

His eyes never left her silhouette and he was surprised to find her awake at this hour.

"Aurora baby?" He called for her attention again, but Aurora ignored him and broke into a wide smile when another teardrop slid down in front of her eyes. Jungkook wondered why she was smiling like a fool over such a normal thing, but then it hit him. It was the sudden occurrence of the rain that fascinated her.

Walking up to her, he wrapped his arms around her waist and hugged her from behind. Initially, she rejected his hug, but Jungkook held onto her tightly, giving her no other way than to let him be.

"Why are you still up so late?" He whispered in her ear.

"It is raining." She responded. Jungkook pressed a kiss near her temple and took in her scent.

Camomille.

"Is the sound of rain keeping you awake?" He then asked, but Aurora shook her head.

"Not the rain, but the sadness." Aurora's smile fell and tears sprang into her eyes. Jungkook froze and loosened his grip. He didn't know how to respond, because he wasn't sure what kind of sadness she was referring to. It was uncommon for Aurora to tell him about her feelings. Mostly because Aurora would avoid the topic or stay silent about struggles.

"Aurora—" He was interrupted by his phone vibrating in his pocket. He heaved a sigh and let go of her. Aurora turned her around and watched Jungkook take out his phone and read the message.

The timing of the received notification on his phone became a familiar pattern to her as she noticed how his phone vibrated frequently past midnight since she had known him. It was those moments where everyone would be offline or sleeping, giving Jungkook an easier way to get away with information that was contained in those messages.

His face became emotionless when he read the message, but to Aurora, it only stood for a place and time. On the contrary, Jungkook deciphered the hidden meaning of the message in a short amount of time and knowing that Aurora was overlooking, Jungkook turned off his screen and pocketed his phone away from Aurora's sight.

He then nudged the cold metal on his back lightly to tighten it against his belt. When he grabbed for his jacket on the couch, Aurora stopped him by grabbing him by his wrist.

"Where are you going?" Her voice was hoarse, but yet, still soft. It must have been that raw feeling inside her heart that caused her voice to break. A feeling of regret and fear washed over her as

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter