Sleepover

Flower Crowns
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 “To begin with, I do apologise about the mess. I hadn’t had time to clean.” Byul said repeatedly as she started scooping up the scattered paper balls and tossed crumpled clothes into the laundry bag. Normally, this wouldn’t bother her but Byul felt self-conscious with Yongsun around. She peered under her bed and heaved out the pull out mattress Hana installed. In the humongous house she shared with 13 other people, every bed had a pull out for sudden sleepovers. Her housemates’ soulmates sometimes crash here in the weekends and Hana was paranoid about receiving family over. Byul started placing bed sheets over the bed and retrieving the spare pillow she kept in her closet when she noticed Yongsun staring at her table. She quickly finished her task and went over to Yongsun. The other girl was staring at the picture frames Byul kept on her table; a full family picture where the 14 of them living in the house took in a recent party and one of her baseball team when they won the championship that year.

 

 “What are you looking at?”

 

 “Are you the Moon Byul Yi? The baseball ace?” Yongsun asked. Byul dreaded that question. She didn’t want to be remembered as the baseball legend. She was way more than that. Hmph.

 

 “Yea.”

 

 “I thought you would say it with more pride,” Yongsun remarked dryly, flopping down onto the pull-out. Byul tidied her bed.

 

 “I don’t want to be remembered as just the baseball ace. The latest captain that led the university to win their God knows how many championships. I merely carried on the legacy kept by my seniors and ironically, I’m probably not gonna play baseball in the future.”

 

 “Then what do you want to do?”

 

 Byul didn’t expect that question. She didn’t even know herself. She took a business course that Hana strongly advised her to go. Hana said that she had the talent and had the chance to work in her family’s company, but Byul really loved photography.

 

 “I don’t know. Maybe go into the business industry? What about you?”

 

 “I want to be a model. But it’s just dreams, isn’t it? I might just become a singer but again, wishful thinking. I’ll just become a clerk at some firm.”

 

 “Wait, wait. I have a question.”

 

 “ Yea?”

 

 “You called me the Moon Byul Yi. How did you know… like the talks?”

 

 “Ah, I’m also studying at Seoul University.”

 

 “Really?” Byul propped herself up using her elbow and looked at where Yongsun was lying.

 

 “Mmm,” Yongsun hummed.

 

 “How come I’ve never seen you?”

 

 “I’m a year older.”

 

 “What? Oh my god, I am so sorry for being so informal Yong- Can I call you unnie?” 

 

 Yongsun laughed. “Of course you can. I’m surprised I was so clueless to not recognise Moon Byul Yi.”

 

 They lapsed into a comfortable silence. “What club are you in, unnie?”

 

 “Pole dancing.”

 

 “I’ve heard a lot about it,” Byul said, deadpanned. There were a lot of talks about those in that club. Mostly nasty comments she heard f

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter