Chapter 28

HEART BEATS
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

What Can Go Wrong, Will

There were cameras left and right, capturing pictures of everyone coming for the gala dinner. Tonight, the most luxurious hotel ballroom in the city was solely reserved to celebrate Kwon Jiyoon's Teaching Hospital's new wing. For once Yuri had a chance of living her lifelong dream entering a premise like a celebrity but she felt uneasy instead. Exiting the limousine after one deep breath, Yuri linked her arm with Jessica as the girl stepped out of the opulent vehicle in a stunning number from Ralph and Russo.

"Are those the press?" Yuri asked as they entered the ballroom. Jessica was getting braver each day, displaying her lover everywhere much to her grandmother's dismay. This was the first time they attend a public event together though. The magnitude of the gala reeled Yuri a little bit and she feared the implication of being out in the open like this.

"Don't worry. They are medical presses and city tabloids." Jessica landed a quick, teasing peck, on Yuri's cheek, steering her straight to the bar. "The chances of our pictures reaching your mother is slim."

"I'm more worried about your grandma lobotomying me with her laser eyes." Yuri threw a glance at Kwon Jiyoon. The medical magnate was sitting at the center table between Jiyong and Dr. Webber. Since her entrance with Jessica had created quite a ruckus amongst the gala dinner attendances it was only appropriate for the old woman to throw Yuri the usual look of disapproval from her seat.

"Don't worry about that either." Jessica cheekily waved at her grandma. "She never takes you seriously, remember?"

Groaning, Yuri gave the bartender a sign. "Two Vodka spritz, please."

"You guys are late." Sunny bulleted her way to them. Slamming an empty glass onto the counter, she asked for a refill of negroni. "Missing the big show."

"If you meant the auction, I already had Albert bid three paintings under my name." Jessica shrugged nonchalantly.

"She's talking about Girls' Generation's performance." Sooyoung, clearly intoxicated, swung an arm around her boyfriend's shoulder and puckered her lips at Sunny. "She said if she wasn't a doctor she could easily be one of their members. Not with that height, Sunny. Not even in your dream."

"No, stupid." Sunny pushed Sooyoung's face away with her palm. "I'm talking about Dr. Park and Dr. Shim dancing and kissing like everyone else in this ballroom is nothing but comatose patients."

"Dr. Park?" Jessica raised her eyebrows.

"Dr. Shim?" Yuri too.

"Why? You mind?" Sooyoung sniggered. "You two still have feelings for your exes, don't you?"

"Me? No." Jessica shook her head, sipping her drink slowly. "Just want to make sure. There are like a dozen of Parks in our hospital."

"Yeah, me too." Yuri nodded, bringing her glass to her lips.

"You pathetic liar, there's only one Dr. Shim Changmin in this city." Jessica scowled.

"Oh, come on. You get to feel jealous of your ex and I can't?"

"I'm not jealous. I am curious!"

"Same difference."

"Heaven and earth Yuri. Heaven and earth." Jessica took a chug this time. "Anyhow, did you just admit you are jealous of Shinye for kissing Max?"

"No. I was saying-"

"Guys. Ssssshhhh." Sunny pointed at the main stage. "Look at Taeyeon."

Heads were turning to the main stage as Jiyong wheeled his grandma up with Dr. Webber and Taeyeon followed closely behind. Of the four of them, Taeyeon was the one literally glowing. In an alluring Versace silk printed dress and the light brown hair that suited the color palette, she literally pulled everyone's jaw to the floor.

"Ugh, those simple red heels are brilliant." Jessica, who often found Taeyeon's style off-key, dropped a rare compliment.

"She's killing the rich granddaughter-in-law vibe." Sooyoung puffed her cheeks before turning to her boyfriend. "Hand me your platinum card, I'm copying her look for your next family gathering."

"All the slay and nobody thanks me for forcing that dress on her." Hayeon poked her head between Jessica and Sooyoung to give the bartender a signal.

"Aren't you too young to drink?" Jessica narrowed her eyes at Taeyeon's sister as the latter order a glass of Amaretto.

"She's twenty last August." Yuri, eyes still on the stage, sipped her spritz.

"Is she?" Jessica gave the youngest kid in the group a judging stare. "I thought she just graduated from high school."

"She only started school after being fostered by her current parents," Yuri whispered to Jessica, smiling lovingly at the oblivious Hayeon. "There wasn't enough money to put both Hayeon and Taeyeon into school before that."

"Ah, that explains." Jessica sighed deeply, staring at Taeyeon for one long moment before turning her focus to Hayeon. "Hey, Hayeon."

"Yeah?" Hayeon clinked her glass with Sunny before turning to Jessica.

"I heard you sing in the bathroom the other day, you sound pretty good."

"Thanks."

"I have friends in SM entertainment. They are opening a limited audition this year. Want me to sign you up?"

"Nooo. Taeyeon would kill me." The girl laughed. "She wants me to hit college this year."

"You fool. She wants you to be happy." Yuri swatted Hayeon's arm. "Sign Hayeon up, Jess. She has been wanting to be an idol since birth."

"Not idol, I want to be a real singer!"

"Same difference." Yuri ruffled Hayeon's hair while wrapping a hand around Jessica's waist, grinning into her lover's ear "I think your grandma want you on the stage, babe."

"Nope."

Yuri pointed at Jiyong who waved at Jessica from the stage. Dr. Webber even moved to the mic and called Jessica's name.

"God, no." Jessica shook her head. "Come with me."

"And have your grandma strangled me on that golden podium? Sorry. No."

"I hate you."

"And I love you. Best of luck." Yuri kissed Jessica's cheek as the crowds turned their heads at them. Jiyong clapped his hands, the rest followed. In a trained gracefulness, Jessica let go of Yuri's hand and made her way to the stage.

"I have spent most of my life worrying about my legacy." Sitting straight in her wheelchair, Kwon Jiyoon started her speech with a sweep of rightful gaze towards the audience. "Tonight, with the launch of my hospital's new R&D wing that also marks my family's full acquisition of KJY corporation, I no longer doubt the future. In my grandchildren's hands, our company will work hard to advance this country's healthcare development to the point we could only dream before. Together, with the help of you all, Jessica and Jiyong will bring us into the brightest future."

"Did Kwon Jiyoon just hand her company to her grandchildren?" Sunny's eyes were only a millimeter away from jumping out of their sockets.

"I think so." Sooyoung's boyfriend grinned and reached for his phone, rapidly typing into it. "Biggest shock of the year for the stock market and I'm lucky enough to be among the ones who heard it first."

Yuri spun her head. Everyone else was either on the phone or chattering about the sudden announcement which she didn't really understand of. "Somebody needs to explain this to me."

"I think your girlfriend and Taeyeon's husband have been bumped up a few notches on the richest list." Hayeon leaned on the bar, scanning a passing male guest from head to toe. "I hope that means more party like this."

"Meh." Yuri shrugged, grabbing her drink.

"You can't just meh this, Kwon Yul!" Sunny slapped Yuri's arm. "This will change a lot of things for Jessica."

"As long as she stays in my arms, I don't mind." Yuri walked away, actually felt uncomfortable inside.

"Oh, Yuri. Hey." Hair a bit tousled, fixing her skirt, Park Shinye exited Shim Changmin's office just when Yuri was about to enter it. "Have a nice weekend."

"You too, Dr. Park." Smiling, Yuri nodded at the senior doctor before opening the door. "Shinye, huh?" Tuning her smile into a wide grin, Yuri ceremoniously dropped the folders in her hands onto Max's desk.

"You are the last person who can say a word about this, you know?" Grinned back, Max took a folder from the top and gave it a once over. "Shinye and I are your victims, Miss Heartbreaker."

"I'm happy for you both." Sitting across the fine doctor, Yuri also took a folder. "Hey... did you hear about the announcement Jessica's grandma made at the gala dinner."

"It's been a week, Yuri. Even the Martians had heard a word of it at this point." Typing into the laptop in front of him, Max smiled. "Why? Has Jessica started parking her new private jet on your doorsteps?"

"She hadn't said a thing about it." Yuri took a deep sigh. "And it scared me."

"Why?"

"She could be anywhere else in this world, Max. With anyone better than me. Why staying?"

"If you think a new net worth will change Jessica's feeling for you. You don't know her that well."

"I have so many doubts right now."

"Don't. Ruin. It." Max spelled every word while repeatedly knock Yuri's forehead with the edge of the folder. "My heart is dead cold for you now. You can't fall back on me anymore."

"I just...." Yuri took another deep breath. She couldn't think clearly lately. As their relationship grew bigger, her fear of losing Jessica expanded too.

"Talk to her. Communicate your feeling." Max took another folder. "After you help me with all these research data, I meant."

Yuri shook her head. She had no idea how to exactly communicate her fear with Jessica.

"Who was that? Aaron?" Jessica came into Max's office three hours later, wrapping her hands around Yuri from behind as the girl ended a video call. "Have they arrived in Hongkong?"

"Yep." Yuri put the phone on the desk and leaned back into the heavenly touch. "He and Jackson look a bit happier now they are homebound."

"Thank God." Smiling, Jessica tilted Yuri's chin so she could kiss her forehead. "How about we get homebound too? Max said I can have you early tonight."

"Just one more patient, okay?" Yuri pointed at the open folder on the desk. "I want to log all the current data before the conference so we can prepare this presentation to the max. Pun intended."

"Hmmm. It still doesn't sit well with me, you know?" Sitting on the desk, Jessica ran her stiletto-clad foot along Yuri's thigh. " You and Max. A week-long conference in Bali."

"I'm all yours. My heart won't sway the other way."

"There's a tested law of physic in this, you know? Anything that can go wrong will go wrong."

"I'm not planning to do anything wrong, baby." Smiling and typing at once, Yuri shook her head. "Don't you worry."

"There's no guarantee." The heel of Jessica's red stiletto dug a bit deeper in Yuri's skin now. "Take me with you."

"What? No." Yuri held Jessica's ankle up with one hand, staring into those eyes. This was the part she disliked the most from Jessica. The tendency of forcing her will on everyone.

"Why?"

"It's an international neurology conference, Jess. Not a vacation."

"We can make it a vacation." The girl leaned in, smiling seductively. "Imagine. White sandy beach, bikinis, unlimited refill of cocktails. Me and you. Alone in an oceanfront villa."

"I am trying to focus on my work, baby. Max is planning to be a fully-fledged researcher. His position as neuro attending will be open and I'm hoping to fill in." Taking a deep breath, Yuri typed again. "I need to put a lot of effort to get a chance. Excelling in this conference is one of them."

"Relax, that position is yours. You're technically his best prodigy now."

"You know that's not how things work in this hospital. Any senior neurosurgeon might come along snatching the attention of the board directors. I have to be really good. Upgrading my skill, impressing everyone."

"You only need to impress me. I'll make it works for you. I practically own this hospital now."

Yuri stopped typing, narrowing her eyes. Jessica gulped, probably realizing her faux pas a few seconds too late. The air suddenly felt thick, giving Yuri a pressing urge to spring on her feet.

"I'm sorry." Jessica got off from the desk, reaching to touch Yuri on the shoulder before she could leave her chair. "That came out so wrong."

"It's fine." Yuri stood up anyway. Jessica was used to getting what she wants. While Yuri understood that there wasn't any insult in Jessica's suggestion at all, she still hated the implication of her words. "I think I need to gather more data. You go home on your own, okay?"

"Please, baby. I'm so sorry. I didn't mean to demean you at all."

Now that Jessica had put it into words, Yuri couldn't help but feel even smaller. Yes, Jessica had everything. Yes, it would be easier if she spoon-feeds Yuri the attending position. "I said it's fine, Jess."

"Of course it's fine." Chin tilted up, hands folded across her chest, Jessica threw Yuri an icy look. "As long as you can run away from real conversation, it's totally fine. We can always fix it later with ."

"Jessica...."

"Why do you keep running away from me lately, Yuri? Other than my once stupid choice of words, that I have apologized for, what did I do wrong?"

"It's not you. It's me."

"Tell me what's wrong with you then. Tell me how to actually fix this."

Yuri gaped.

"I've moved into your house. I've changed my way of life. I go against my grandma. I hang out with your friends. I have done everything but I still feel like I'm nothing for you. Nothing."

"You are everything for me, Jess." She finally could find the words.

"Then why it seems like I'm the only one who works hard for this relationship?"

Talk To Her

"No swimsuit?" Taeyeon peeked into the suitcase laying open on Yuri's bed. Hayeon was on the bed too, listening to whatever music was playing through the headphone Jiyong just bought for her.

"It's a work conference. Not vacation." Yuri folded another blazer on her lap.

"Taking a quick dip in the ocean won't hurt your credit as an attending candidate." Smiling, Taeyeon opened Yuri's closet and pulled out a swimsuit set.

"Easy for you to say, with that brain and those skills you have the position in the bag."

"Thank you for not mentioning my rich husband in that short resume." Taeyeon folded the swimsuit neatly and put it in the suitcase. "We'll get the attending positions, Yuri. With a little hard work and perseverance just like we always do. We're those girls, remember? We don't give up easy."

"Yeah, Yuri. Chill." From her comfortable spot, Hayeon grinned and took off her headphone. "Now go call Jessica and makeup. Tell her how much you miss her."

"You just want me to secure that audition of yours." Yuri frowned. "Forget about training as an idol, Hayeon. Jessica and I are done. Go to your room and study instead."

"No way." Hayeon took Yuri's phone from the bedside table. Unlocking it with the password she and Taeyeon knew by heart, the young girl dialed a number. "I'm not letting you ruin my future."

"Hey, who are you calling?" Yuri tried to stop Hayeon but Taeyeon pinned her down on the bed instead. "Stop! You two!"

"Call this an intervention, Dr. Kwon." Taeyeon grinned.

"No! This is a violation of my privacy."

"Too late." Hayeon had a triumphant grin on her face now. "Hello, Jessica? Yes. It's me. Yuri said she misses you. Please come back."

", Hayeon." Sending her knee to Taeyeon's groin, Yuri set herself free and yanked the phone from Hayeon's hand. Hayeon guffawed, doubling over on the bed while Taeyeon moaned in pain on the floor. Yuri took a relieved breath when she saw the call wasn't connected at all. "You guys are mean." She turned off the phone and threw the two sisters a look.

"I'm so sorry." Taeyeon tackled Yuri onto the bed, hugging her tightly. "It has been weeks and you look more and more devastated each day. Don't you at least want to say goodbye before you leave?"

"It's not like I'm leaving for a whole century." Yuri's frown got deeper. She rolled over Taeyeon and laid still for a moment, taking a deep breath. "Maybe when I get back next week everything will sort itself out."

"Yeah right." Hayeon wedged herself between them, rolling her eyes. "The second you board the plane, Jessica will come to take away her belongings and everything will truly end."

Taeyeon followed Yuri's gaze to the closet that was still filled with Jessica's clothes. The room still looked like it was shared by the two lovers. Jessica's makeup kit, her gazillion skincare products, her books, her medical journals, and her useless little pillows were still laying around in the small space. It still smelled a lot like the ice princess too, probably because Yuri never actually let go. While both Yuri and Jessica had called it quit, even avoiding each other like plague at work, Taeyeon still hoped for a little light at the end of this convoluted tunnel.

"Don't let it end like this, Yuri." Taeyeon reached for Yuri's hand and let their fingers entwined on Hayeon's stomach. "Call her. I know you want to."

"I keep thinking that we're not meant to be." Yuri took another deep breath, snuggled against Hayeon's side. "Maybe the only romance that will work for me is the teenage one. The one where I can act all unbothered like Hayeon here. No real commitment. Just flings."

"I'm offended." Hayeon laughed a little. "What is it that you fear so much anyway? The princess was willing to go the extra mile for you. How come you still find your relationship flawed?"

"Put it in words, Yuri." Taeyeon laid on her side now, gazing at the two girls. "Tell us so we can help you."

"I'm afraid of going too fast, I guess." Yuri closed her eyes.

"Have you told Jessica to take it slow?"

"How could I? She's the kind of girl who moved in into my house without even asking first. The one who booked a jet to  Bahama without even blinking."

"I think you should at least voice what you want." Hayeon threw in her two cents worth. "I might only be good at teenage flings but I know communication is the key to everything."

"Sometimes, I think if I demand too much in this relationship she will find me lacking and leave me. We will never be on par with each other, you know? The princess and the commoner."

"God damn it, Kwon Yuri." Taeyeon sat up, slapping Yuri's hand so hard it was Hayeon who yelped. "Stop pitying yourself. Stop making excuses."

Groaning a protest at her sister, Hayeon sat up and rubbed her stomach. "This discussion is getting violence. I'm leaving." She grabbed her headphone. "I agree with Taeyeon though. You need to stop trapping yourself in a K-drama cliche. Jessica is clearly far too rich for you to catch up so it's either you accept that differences or forget her completely."

"I think I'll just forget her." Yuri rolled out of the bed, reaching for another piece of clothes to fold.

"And die trying?" Taeyeon got out of the bed too. "We both know you'll never get over her."

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter