Chapter 20

HEART BEATS
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Another Proposal

"If you're not gonna eat that I can do with another slice." Sooyoung reaches out her hand toward the pizza dangling in Taeyeon's hand. Taeyeon, eyes glued to Yuri who's currently talking on the phone in the corner, swats Sooyoung's hand away.

"Pig. Isn't one box enough?" Taeyeon opens wide and takes a big bite, glaring at her friend.

"I shared them with Sunny."

"Liar." Sunny hisses from the bed where she lays on her stomach. "She only let me take one bite."

"I'm hungry, okay. I just got out of ten-hour surgery."

"Has Yuri eaten anything?" Taeyeon chews slowly, staring at her best friend who's clearly in the middle of an unpleasant call.

"I think she hasn't even rehydrated since morning."

Swallowing the last bite, Taeyeon stands up and comes to the corner. Gently she taps Yuri's shoulder as the latter leans limply against the wall. "Is she canceling again?"

She doesn't need to hear the answer. Disappointment seeps out of Yuri's helpless gaze. "Come on, let's go."

"Where? I have surgery in one hour."

"The cafeteria has egg-sandwich special today."

"Taeyeon, I don't have time. I'll just get a slice of Sooyoung's pizza."

"You can't. The last slice is currently being squeezed by my gastric wall."

"But-"

"If the ice princess keeps canceling, maybe it's time for you to forget about that lunch date and start thinking about having normal lunch instead."

"She's just busy."

"Sure." Sarcasm is thick in Taeyeon's voice as she jabs at the elevator button. "This was what, the third time she cancels?"

"Fourth." Sulking, Yuri follows Taeyeon into the elevator. "I don't want to lose hope."

"I'm not saying you should" Taeyeon shakes her head. "I'm saying you should not lose yourself waiting for Jessica to make up her mind."

The elevator dings open on the third floor, revealing Park Shinye kissing Jung Jessica sweetly on the lips. Taeyeon can literally feel Yuri melts into a depressed puddle by her side. Sighing, she coughs to draw attention. "Good afternoon, Dr. Park, are you coming up?"

"Ah, yes. Sorry." Grinning, Dr. Park steps into the elevator and blows Jessica a kiss. "See you tonight, love."

"See you." Jessica's cheeks fall into ten different shades of red as she waves hesitantly at her pretty girlfriend.

Glancing, Taeyeon witnesses what little spark Yuri has in her eyes slowly disappears as Jessica turning on her heels and leave. It feels like the door is closing at the speed of a snail, not helping Yuri at all.

"Breathe." Taeyeon holds Yuri's hand and whispers while the door closes and the elevator moves up. "It's gonna be okay."

Dr. Park turns at them with a smile. "What's gonna be okay?"

"Ummm... the patient." Taeyeon throws a lie. "Yuri has a neuroendoscopy in an hour."

"Nah. She's coming with me to Naval Hospital. We're harvesting a heart from a donor."

"Yuri is not a cardio resident, Dr. Park. Sooyoung is."

"Don't you think I know who my residents are?" Dr. Park throws a glance at Yuri before focusing back on Taeyeon. "There's no harm in a little learning outside our designated field."

"What about the neuroendoscopy?"

"I've cleared it with Max and Dr. Webber."

"But-"

"Don't worry, Dr. Kim. I'll return your friend in one piece." With a broader smile, she turns to Yuri. "You don't mind helping me, do you, Dr. Kwon?"

At the way Yuri shakes her head slowly, Taeyeon feels like screaming.

"Alright, let's go up then." Dr. Park slides her card key and presses the button assigned for rooftop access.

Taeyeon's mind goes into over-drive. The image of Yuri being pushed from the roof plays in her mind like mad. The trauma of the fire incident hasn't even completely leave her mind yet. She can't let Yuri go with Jessica's girlfriend alone.

Too bad the door dings open once more, revealing the sixth floor that leads to the cafeteria.

"Your floor, Dr. Kim?" Still smiling, Dr, Park steps aside.

"Ummm... Yuri hasn't eaten anything since morning. I don't think she can-"

"I said don't worry." Gently leading Taeyeon out of the elevator, Dr. Park then comes back in and waves her hand. "See you later, Dr. Kim."

Taeyeon gapes, hoping the eye-contact she makes with Yuri before the door closes is not their last.

"You seriously haven't eaten anything since morning?" Dr. Park twists her wrist to check the face of the Bvlgary timepiece wrapped elegantly around it.

"Taeyeon tends to exaggerate." Yuri leans back on the wall as the number above the door changes floor by floor. She's not in the mood to explain that half a cup of boba tea she had earlier is enough to fuel her all day long.

"Must be nice to have such a caring person around."

"Taeyeon and I, we go way back."

"Jessica and I, we go way back too."

"So I've heard."

"I heard you confess your love to her." Dr. Park leans beside Yuri, gazing up at the flashing number too. "In the lobby. In front of a throng of people."

Embarrassed, Yuri looks down at the pattern of the floor.

"I also heard about who triggered that damaging fire. A girlfriend of yours who got jealous after seeing you kiss Jessica on Ortho floor."

Yuri has heard about Hyori's confession too. While she knows she wasn't the one who initiates the kiss, the blame for Hyori's act is 100% on her. "I'm sorry."

"Don't be. I've learned that the more damage you did on Jessica, the closer she gets to me."

Whipping her head up, Yuri meets with the most intense gaze ever. There's something indescribable coming from Dr. Park's stare and it makes Yuri afraid. So afraid she has to look away.

"This is the end though. I care too much about Jessica to let you hurt her any further. Between her crazy parents and her overbearing grandma, she has lived such a troublesome life and I want it to change." The charming doctor sighs as the door dings open. They are on the roof now. Two helicopters with the KJY hospital white logo on their metallic body can be seen perching on the helipad. One already has its rotor turns slowly, creating a gentle wooshing sound in the air. "I will be that person who changes it all, Yuri. What do you say?"

Their gazes cross paths once more. Yuri gulps. She doesn't see hatred nor jealousy in Dr. Park's eyes. Nothing vile about the determination in those crystal clear orbs and Yuri has to admit defeat. If two weeks ago she's confident enough to boast about putting a ring on it, today she realizes there's no diamond and sweet words can ever compete with this kind of gracefulness.

"Dr. Park?" A crew comes over and sets the barrier aside for them. "We're ready."

"Great. Is my intern already on board?"

"Holding the insulation box like it's his lifeline." The crew grins.

Dr. Park chuckles, stepping forward. "Come on, Yuri. This should be exciting."

Yuri sighs, stepping forward.

"I'm gonna step back." Yuri shakes her head, dropping a forkful of chicken salad she's been holding mid-air for nearly five minutes. "I'm giving up."

"No, you're not."

"She's everything that I'm not, Soo." Yuri pushes the bowl toward Taeyeon who's busy devouring a cheeseburger. The three of them are at the resident changing room, eating in the quietest hours of the night as each of their shifts ends. "Pretty face. Graceful smile. Top-notch attitude. Sense of fashion that matches Jessica's. Everything!"

"With extra work, you can have those too." Taeyeon grins, pushing the bowl toward Sooyoung. "I just finished the last six hours in the ER, no salad will do me good."

Sooyoung eyes the bowl cautiously, grabbing the fork, stabs a piece of lettuce, scrutinizes it for five good seconds, then puts the fork back down. "Didn't you say Jessica kissed you once? In the therapy room? Isn't that a sign that you still have a chance?"

"Nah. The whole crazy nurse fiasco happened and ruined that chance." Taeyeon shakes her head. "I'm not gonna be that friend that lies to you, Yuri. I think this is the time for you to stop going after the ice princess."

"No." Sooyoung glares at Yuri. "You nearly died in a fire for her. I say you keep fighting until the last drop of your blood falls into the battlefield."

"Easy for you to say" Taeyeon jabs a finger at Sooyoung's forehead. "You're not the one who has to deal with Yuri when she's in self-destruct mode."

"That is the very reason why she has to carry on. Imagine the happy Yuri we can get once she gets to bed Dr. Jung again. She has to go against oppression and come out as a champion."

"Please, Soo." Shaking her head, Taeyeon moves onto her greasy fries. "There was no oppression. The elevator talk was a warning for Yuri to stay away and I kinda agree with Dr. Park here."

"Yeah and Dr. Park doesn't need to oppress me." Yuri sighs, rubbing her eyes. "Her whole persona already dims my light. She knew Jessica in and out. She never hurt her like I do."

"Man, don't fall for her trick. She got you into the transplant surgery for the specific purpose of bullying you. You are Kwon Yuri. Nobody can bully you."

"Stop encouraging her!" Taeyeon hisses at Sooyoung. "Jung Jessica is not the only-"

Taeyeon freezes mid-sentence, staring out in horror. Yuri follows her eyes and sees Jung Jessica herself on the door.

"Hey, Dr. Jung." Sooyoung grins, lifting the bowl of salad. "Come in, we're having dinner."

"Breakfast." Taeyeon, finally getting over her shock, looks up at the clock on the wall. "We're having breakfast two hours early. Is there anything we can help, Dr. Jung?"

"Yeah. I was just..." The Ice princess takes a step in. Her gaze bounces to every spot in the room but to where the trio is sitting.

"You okay?" Yuri stands up and comes to Jessica's side. "What's happening? Why are you still here at this hour?"

"I'm fine." Jessica shakes her head, taking a deep breath, and focuses her gaze on Yuri. "The lunch. Let's have it tomorrow."

"Huh?"

"Let's meet for lunch tomorrow. Four seasons. 1 p.m."

"What? Are you sure?"

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter