Chapter 11

HEART BEATS
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

6 Months Later

"Taeyeon."

"No." Taeyeon groans, pulling the bed cover over her head.

"Honey, wake up."

Rolling into a fetal position under the cover, Taeyeon keeps her eyes shut. She's having the sweetest dream of her life. Jiyong paid her a surprise visit, keeping her in his arms all night long. Surrounded by the calming cool temperature, she her lips wishing all the vivid memory will pull her back into sleep.

"You're such a baby." A laugh comes before one lean arm hugs her from behind. A hug which warmth is such a perfect replica of what she felt in her dream. Then come teasing fingers that creep slowly to peel the cover open. Light hits Taeyeon's eyes and she suddenly realizes that it's not a dream. Jiyong is here.

"Ji..." Groggy and a little bit unsure, Taeyeon turns her body around on the bed. In front of her, Jiyong smiles down so lovingly.

"Good morning, pretty girl."

"I thought I was dreaming." She rubs her eyes. It really is her Jiyong. His hair is a mess. His smile morphs into a grin and it's perfect.

"No, babe." He pulls her close with one arm, kissing her forehead. "I'm here."

"Took you a while." She frowns, suddenly aware of their ness and the fact that since the day he dropped her here some long months ago, this is his first visit.

"I'm sorry, baby. I had a lot smoke show to orchestrate back in my office. My grandma literally breathes down my neck every day."

"I've missed you." Resting her palm on his bare chest, she nuzzles under his chin. He smells so good. This feels a little too surreal to be true.

"You have no idea how much I miss you. All those video calls did no justice." Gently rubbing her arm with his knuckles, Jiyong kisses the top of her head. "I'm sorry I jumped you just like that last night, baby. I missed you too much."

She sighs into his arms, not even have the intention of blaming him for last night. The peeking sun tells her that it's so late in the morning but Taeyeon wonders if they have more of that wildness right now. She wants to feel those feathery touches. Her whole body craves for his gentleness.

Her stomach grumbles though, betraying her lust. Jiyong laughs, turning to pick his boxers from the floor.

"No." She grabs the blanket around his waist. "Stay in bed, I'm not that hungry."

"Well, I am that hungry." He quickly throws his T-shirt on. "Is there anything we can eat from your kitchen?"

"I don't think so." Taeyeon wraps herself with the cover and staggers to the small kitchen in the small housing she calls home for the last six months. There's only water and a shriveled cucumber in the fridge so she moves to the cabinet over the gas stove. "I only have this package of ramen."

"Check its expired date, please." Jiyong grabs Taeyeon bra from the armchair by the TV and hands it to her as she checks the ramen. "How do you even survive here?"

"I mostly eat at work." Taeyeon throws the package to the garbage bin. "The ramen is expired by two weeks, sorry Ji."

"Why do I have a feeling that you also only eat ramen there?" Jiyong sighs, turning his head to look for Taeyeon's that he had thrown away mindlessly last night. The lacy material is sitting comfortably on a kettle in the sink. Grinning, he hooks a finger under the piece of cloth and dangles it in front of Taeyeon.

"Yeah but there's kimchi on the hospital fridge." Taeyeon gathers her and bra in one hand while using the other hand to push Jiyonng back into the bedroom. "Let me take a bath first. I'll take you to the most famous seafood joint here."

"I'm starving. Bath can wait."

"You can join me." She teases him, swaying her hips under the bathroom entrance.

"Taeyeon, I don't think I have any energy left. You've got me exhausted."

"Don't worry." Deliberately unwrapping the bed cover from her slim body in slow motion, she smirks at her man. "I'll do all the work."

"Damn it, Kim Taeyeon." Pulling the cover away, Jiyong quickly divests himself of the Cherry Filter T-shirt he's wearing. Sun is peeking from the ventilation above the sink. Its rays hit Jiyong all on the right places when he bends to take off his boxers.

Taeyeon giggles, opening her arms as Jiyong crams himself into the narrow shower. When he turns on the warm water, she wraps herself around him and wishes the sun to never set.

"Who is he?"

"Ah, manager Lee. Good morning." Throwing her best smile, Taeyeon looks up from her cup of ramen. Six months working at Santa Clara hospital has taught her not to upset the uptight manager. Today she learns that taking a stranger into the hospital kitchen is another way to do so.

"I said who is he?"

"My friend from the city, manager Lee."

"Nice to meet you, manager." Jiyong stands up, offering a handshake that the tall manager refuses to accept. "I'm Kwon Jiyong."

"Is that the cup ramen from our supply you are eating?"

"Yes, manager. My apology." Jiyong, reading the situation, can't hide his amusement as he sits back on the plastic chair. Smirking, he continues eating his share of ramen. "Taeyeon and I were hungry and couldn't find any meal in her dorm so she took me to this kitchen."

"There are restaurants out there. Our supply is for employees only."

"We were trying to eat at Blue Fin but they are closed for today," Taeyeon adds, purposely slurping her ramen loudly. "Don't worry, manager Lee. My friend here is a rich city boy. He'll replace what he eats by ten folds."

"It's not about money, Dr. Kim. It's about you breaking hospital's rule again." The manager sighs, folding his hands on his chest. "Unlike your previous workplace, Santa Clara is a small hospital. We operates on a tight budget. You can't just go around throwing charity projects like your salary is the only thing on the line."

"Okay, that's a little bit too harsh for a cup of ramen, don't you think?" Jiyong stops eating, narrowing his eyes at the manager.

"Maybe. But I'm the manager. I'm the one who'll end up with a massive headache trying to adjust everything."

"Again, manager Lee, our apology." Taeyeon touches Jiyong's hand, shaking her head. "Won't happen again."

"No free ramen. No free consultation. No giving away medicine no matter how poor the patient is. Not even a free drop of cough syrup without my approval. Understand, Dr. Kim?"

"Yes, manager Lee." Taeyeon grins, completely aware of the anger showing on her boyfriend's face.

"Now finish up quickly, Dr. Park calls for a meeting."

"Yes, manager Lee."

"What is wrong with that guy?" Jiyong mumbles, watching the leaving manager with eyes of the tiger. "How come you never told me about his ty attitude? I could have made him fired since day one."

"Manager Lee is just trying to do his job." Taeyeon stands up to toss her cup into the recycle bin.

"By being so rude?"

"To be fair, this is not my first offense." Hugging Jiyong from behind, Taeyeon kisses his cheek. "Finish your ramen while I'm attending this meeting, alright?"

"I'm losing my appetite."

"Come on now, don't sulk. You haven't eaten anything since you arrived."

"I am not sulking. I just want to get to the nearest market, buy a dozen cups of ramen and throw them on his feet."

Taeyeon laughs, throwing Jiyong's ramen cup into the bin then washes their chopsticks under the sinks. "Don't be stingy. You are a CEO now. Buy us a dozen boxes.Ham, egss, and sausages too."

"Text me what else you guys need in this kitchen." Jiyong stands up and puts on his sunglasses. "I'm gonna show that guy who's the man."

"Oooh, my boyfriend is angry." Taeyeon leans back, puckering her lips to get a kiss from her boyfriend. "Hot!"

"Hmmm." He holds the back of her head, deepening the kiss. "See if you can get off work early. I have more of this hotness for you."

"Dr. Kim! How inappropriate!" Manager Lee unexpectedly comes back to the kitchen.

"I'm sorry, manager Lee." Pulling away from Jiyong, Taeyeon wipes her lips with the back of her hand. Jiyong's kiss always leaves her a little breathless. "I'll get to the meeting now."

Blowing a kiss to her boyfriend from behind manager Lee, Taeyeon can't help but snicker at how upset Jiyong seems to be.

"Where are you going?"

"To Pearl island," Taeyeon shouts from the tug boat she's boarding. There's a fire emergency and Dr. Choi has ordered a team from Santa Clara hospital to help.

"I've got you some supply." Jiyong lifts the heavy bags he carries in both hands. "Some more are being sent to the hospital at the moment."

"Thank you, Ji. Wait for me in the dorm, okay?"

"Can I go with you?"

"No." Manager Lee stands up and stretches his arms from the prow of the ship. "This is an emergency. Medical personnel only."

"You are not medical personnel," Jiyong states matter-of-factly. "You are just a manager."

"His mother lives on that island, Ji," Taeyeon shouts from behind manager Lee. "Just sit tight and wait, okay? I'll be back soon."

"Fine. Stay safe, Taeyeon. I love you."

"I will. Don't worry."

"New boyfriend?" Sitting on one of the wooden benches inside the boat, Dr. Park Jinyoung grins at Taeyeon.

"Yep." Taeyeon grins back, taking a seat across the senior general surgeon. "A very clingy one."

"The joy of new love. He looks familiar. What's his name again?"

"Kwon Jiyong."

"Not Kwon Jiyong the new CEO of Kwon Jiyoon Teaching Hospital, I presume?"

"Well, he kinda is." Taeyeon admits in a grimace. Up to today, no one in Santa Clara knows the reason behind her transfer and she'd like to keep it that way until forever.

"What?" Manager Lee jumps into the conversation from his position on the prow. "That guy is Kwon Jiyoon's long lost grandson?"

"Yep." Taeyeon nods, completely aware of how quickly Manager Lee's face turns red.

"!"

"What did you do this time, Kwangsoo?" Dr. Park laughs.

"I told him off for eating the cup ramen from our kitchen." Holding his head, Manager Lee looks like he's about to blow up into pieces. "! ! !"

The two nurses in the boat laugh with Dr. Park now. Taeyeon can only pity manager Lee from her seat, trying to hold back her own laugh.

"Why didn't you tell me?" Manager Lee channels his frustration at Taeyeon. "Why didn't anybody tell me?"

"Serve you well for always getting upset at everyone and everything, Kwangsoo." Dr. Park drops the comment in between laughs, holding his side. "Be ready to find another job now."

"Dear God, no! Dr. Kim, please help me. I need to stay close to my mom."

"Relax, Jiyong is not that kind of guy." Taeyeon smiles. Jiyong might be angry but he won't go that far. She knows him.

"Are you sure?"

"100%. Let's focus on helping the people on the island, shall we?"

"Ah yes, Dr. Kim. The clinics reported about fifteen people with injuries. Expect burns, fractures, and all other trauma wounds." Back in serious mode, Dr. Park reads from his phone. "Three of them have major issues, including a puncture wound on the stomach and third-degree burns. Three are kids under the age of five. You and Minho shall deal with the patients with minor injuries. I and the other doctors from the clinics will focus on the major ones. Jihyo, you're with me."

"Yes, sir!" Taeyeon and the two nurses answer in unison.

"What about me?"

"Your job is to ensure your mother's safety first." Dr. Park nods at Manajer Lee. "Then you'll help organizing uninjured people. Make sure people that don't belong on the scene keep their distances. Understand, manager Lee?"

"Yes, sir."

"Good. Stay focused, guys. We can do this."

"Yes, sir!"

It's easier to say than do. Taeyeon loses her focus the second the boat docked. Thick smoke comes from the north of the island, rising into the air like a beacon of fear. People run in panic toward the source as Dr. Park jumps out of the boat first, two medical supply bags dangle from his broad shoulder.

"Taeyeon!"

"Hayeon!" Taeyeon stops running on the sandy surface as her sister rushes toward her. The young girl and a few of her friends are flocking around Taeyeon. All still wearing their school uniforms. "What are you doing here?"

"I heard there's a fire in the north market."

"Yes." Taeyeon tries her best to haul the big bag of the first-aid equipment onto her shoulder while glaring at her sister. "That's why people from the south like you should stay put. It's dangerous."

"We want to help." A young boy wearing a pair of thick glasses speaks up.

"Staying away from trouble is the best you guys can do to help. Now move, I need to hurry."

The group of students splits into two, allowing Taeyeon to get through. Not even a few steps forward, she feels someone taking the bag from her shoulder. It's the boy in glasses.

"Let us help you carry this stuff. We'll stay away after."

Taeyeon huffs, giving up. The kids scramble to help carry medical supplies from the boat and they reached the fire site quicker. The sight of disaster kicks Taeyeon into focus. She soon starts giving orders to Minho while start checking the closest injured person. There are more people injured than Dr. Park's initial briefing though. In front of them, fire rages as firefighters trying their best to stop it from spreading further.

"We need to move further away!" Dr. Park yells at Taeyeon while pushing a gurney onto the concrete path. Behind him, two local clinic staff also has a gurney with an unconscious patient.  "Ask for people's help to move the injured from this site, Taeyeon! I'm taking these guys to the clinic, they need immediate surgery."

Turning around on her spot, Taeyeon tries to find a safe spot. Injured people are laying on the ground by her feet, some groaning in pain, some can't even move. Her mind races for the best decision. She can't move all of them at once. Luckily, a little bit further to the left there is a school building. Taeyeon stares at the fire, checking where the wind blow to see if they will be safe in there. "Minho! Take the injured to that school!"

"There are so many of them!" Minho yells while lifting a wounded little girl into his arms. "We won't make it in time."

"Hey! Help us carry these people to safety!" Taeyeon waves toward the people fleeing the scene. No one stops to pay attention. They are busy saving their personal belongings  from the disaster.

"Are you crazy!" Taeyeon stomps her feet in anger. "You can't trade money or gold with your neighbors' lives."

One of them stops, staring at the TV he's hauling in his hands for a good second before running away.

Sighing, Taeyeon turns her focus toward the injured people. "Listen, people. If you guys can get up and walk, go to that school! The fire is coming our way."

In agony, she watches three of the sixteen injured people try to get up. Ashes are falling from the sky and she knows the slower the patients move the more damage their lungs will take. Taeyeon and Minho can't possibly handle sixteen resp

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter