Epilogue

HEART BEATS
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Homebound

There was something extremely nostalgic about taking a boat ride from Haepung to Pearl Island. It reminded Yuri of the old days where she, Taeyeon, and a few other lucky kids of the humble island took the same windy route just to have a taste of proper education. Even today, as Haepung developed into one of the biggest seaports in the country, Yuri's hometown still looked like a small tranquil island it had always been.

"It's beautiful," Jessica whispered from behind her, slinging her arms possessively around her torso. "You were so lucky to grow up within this wondrous view"

"She was too busy making out on the water taxi to pay attention to the view." Shindong, Yuri's brother who had given up the steering wheel, grinned from where he was leaning against the side of the hull. "Different boy each week, right, Yul?"

"Really?" Jessica tightened her hold it started to hurt Yuri a bit. "Each week?"

"Stop squeezing the air out of my lungs, please," Trying to helm the boat through a particularly high wave, Yuri begged her girlfriend while glaring at her brother. "And you, shut up."

"I can see you have changed now." Still grinning, Shindong threw Jessica a side-look. "Drastically so."

"You knew?" Yuri made a hard starboard turn, creating splashes of water that hit Shindong on the side of his face. "Taeyeon told you?"

"I always knew." Wiping his face with the front of his shirt, Shindong laughed. "Remember, Miss Baek? Third-grade math teacher? You literally drooled every time she was around. Then there was this one girl from the Greenpeace, Marni?"

"Oh, yes. Marni." Yuri smiled, wondering if the European bombshell from the Greenpeace ship was her first girl crush.

"You followed her around like mad." Back to his grinning mode, Shindong now waved at the kids who played football on the beach ahead. "You see, Jessica? When Marni and her squad left the island, Yuri watched that huge ship disappear in the horizon like a dog losing its owner."

"Of course she did." Jessica actually choked Yuri this time. "Such a player!"

"Aaargh. Stop, Jess. We're here." Yuri steered the boat closer to the wooden dock while trying to send a kick to his brother. "I'll make sure you pay for this whole TMI, Shindong!"

"I'm not even scared." Shindong grabbed the warps and jumped onto the dock, pointing at the beach. "Mom's going to kill you first."

Yuri gaped. Under the coconut tree by the harbor patrol hut, in her signature loose shirt and tight capris, stood her mother. The woman clearly saw them arriving but chose to keep talking with Taeyeon instead.

"God, I'm so nervous." Jessica had her fingernails digging into Yuri's arm. "I think I'm gonna puke."

"Now you know exactly how I feel every time your grandmother is around." After helping her brother securing the boat, Yuri also climbed onto the dock and offered her hand to her girlfriend. "Come on up, babe. We can do this."

"You think Taeyeon had cleared her mission?" Jessica panned her gaze toward the row of coconut trees. Per Jessica's persistent request, Yuri had sent Taeyeon to the island on a preemptive mission. "Look, they share a hug. Your mother even smiles. I think Taeyeon nailed it."

"You think?" Shindong chuckled. "Taeyeon's mother died for Yuri. Mom's only daughter. That woman will always have a smile and a hug reserved for her dear Taetae."

"Don't listen to this , baby." Yuri grabbed Jessica's hand."I'm sure Taeyeon has smoothed things out for us."

As they reached the sandy beach hand in hand, Taeyeon came rushing to greet them. "Hey, Jess. How's the boat ride?"

"It was wonderful but now I want to puke."

"Come with me." Taeyeon broke the two apart, grabbing Jessica by the wrist. "I know the best seasick remedy."

"I don't think she's got seasick," Yuri whispered.

"I know," Taeyeon whispered back. "Your mother wants to talk to you."

"Right now?'

"No. Next week." Taeyeon rolled her eyes. "Of course she wants to talk to you now. Just you."

"She doesn't want to talk to the two of us together?" Jessica's face was as white as a sheet of paper right now. "She hates me already?"

"You failed to defuse the bomb?" Yuri glared at Taeyeon. "What did you say to her? Did you explain it as I told you to?"

"Hey, I'm not a bomb squad elite." Taeyeon laughed. "And you guys made me do such hard work for free."

"Goddamnit, Kim Taeyeon. Stop teasing."

"Just go." Still laughing, Taeyeon dragged Jessica away. "Face the music!"

Taking a deep breath, Yuri let her gaze fall onto her mom.

They walked the longshore in silence. Passing the row of coconut trees until the sandy beach opens to a vast mangrove forest. The initial heaviness in Yuri's heart had somehow disappeared when they sat by side on the foot of a banyan tree, completely replaced by a readiness to accept everything her mother about to say.

"When you were little you often got lost in this mangrove forest, remember?" Her mother broke the ice.

"You would drag me home fuming and hit Shindong with a slipper for leading me here." Yuri smiled.

"Are you lost this time too? Is it possible for me to drag you back home from this?"

"No. I think I've found the real me instead. The one who had been lost for so long."

"Maybe this is just a fling. I know you're not one to stay fixed on a thing, You changed your mind often as a kid."

It was painful to see her mom in denial like this but couldn't Yuri blame the old woman. Her mother came from a different era and was brought up in a much conservative setting.

"Mom." Yuri rested a hand on her mother's knee. "This relationship is real. I want her. I love her."

"You used to have boyfriends. A lot of them." Looking sad, her mother sighed deeply. "Let's wait a few years before doing something drastic. A good man like Jiyong might come along and you'll be as happy and as complete as Taeyeon."

"I'm sorry I'm not Taeyeon." Yuri smiled again. It wasn't a secret that her mother felt more fond of her best friend. Yuri didn't mind at all. She knew the woman loved her kids all the same. "I am a whole different person with different feelings. Jessica and I have been together for five years now.  We make each other happy. She completes me."

"So that's it? You're going to marry a girl? It's not even legal."

"I haven't asked her to." With a wishful smile, Yuri looked up at the flock of seagulls flying above. "And I won't do it until I have your blessing."

Her mother seemed to fall into deep thought for quite a moment so Yuri stood up and walked toward the water. Taking off her sneakers and rolled her jeans up, she let her feet got in touch with the waves. The sun was gliding slowly into the ocean, creating majestic color in the sky as it went. Yuri played around, creating splashes, rekindling memories. This place had been the most incredible playground for a little girl to grow up in. Her family was her strength and just like these waves, she would always crash back on them.

"I'm not ready for any of my neighbors to know about this!" Her mother yelled to beat the sound of crashing waves.

"They don't have to!" Yuri turned around.

"You're not allowed to even hold hand with her on this island! Understand?

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter