Chapter 24

HEART BEATS
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A Little Bit Of Jessica

Kwon Yuri.

Everything about this stupid girl threw me out of loops.

Even as she slept comfortably on the reclined leather seat of this private jet; snoring lightly with one leg crossed above the other, she still had that puzzling tug at my heart.

She was complicated. Both in good ways and bad ways. The first time I laid my eyes on her, she was sweating under the early winter morning sun, performing compression on an unconscious stranger. The determination and conviction shone in her eyes as she fought to keep the man alive had lured me in like the strongest emotional magnet. That day, I knew I want her to save my life too.

I'm Jung Jessica by the way. Many people out there would say that I don't need saving. They would argue that the combination of money, connection, pretty face, and sharp brain should be more than enough for me to thrive. They would say that, as a doctor with such privileged background, I should be the one saving people instead.

Apparently, saving people on daily basis didn't help to stop this emotional baggage from eating me inside out.

Yes, a "perfect" girl like me had emotional baggage too. In fact, I was on the verge of ending my life that day, sitting on the bench in the noisy park with two bottles of sleeping pills in my Prada bag and a lukewarm cup of coffee in my hands.

Seeing Yuri trying hard to save a stranger's life had saved my life.

She was complicated though. Both in good ways and bad ways. There was a whole lot of push and pull we played. I was jealous of her closeness to Taeyeon at first, compensating by being extra mean to both of them. It didn't work. Yuri came out of every pressure I inflicted on her triumphantly. Somehow, she even got to be the only girl whose attraction was strong enough to make me initiate a kiss.

Yes,  me, the ever cold and ignorant ice princess, kissed her first. At that moment, It felt so much like a scene out of a romantic movie. A kiss under the moonlight in a quiet gazebo in the middle of a beautiful pond. A kiss that took my breath away. A kiss that kickstarted my daydream of having her as a lover.

It was grueling, to be honest. Unlike my previous lovers, she was not the kind of person I could easily trick into obeying my every word. I had to pry her off Max's deadly charm too. But she kissed me in a merry-go-round on a cheap night fair a few months later and our relationship was sealed.

She was complicated. Both in good ways and bad ways. She was the most attentive lover I had ever had. On a good day, she would follow me around, making me laugh at her joke, listening to my endless rant. On a bad day, she would cuddle me in silence, cooking the best meal, then watched me eating until the very last bite. On the worst day, I would drown my tears in her soothing voice, holding onto her like a lifeline.

She was so bad in bed though. I tried to lure her in. I tried to show her the ropes. We ended up in a tangled mess and she ran so far away. I thought I had lost her for good but my mother passed away, I was drowned in my own dark thoughts again, and Yuri came to my rescue once more.

Things had gone fairly smooth after and I thought that was it, I was a step closer to my happily ever after.

I was wrong.

Not too long after, my grandmother had an accident and I found out that Yuri had with Max in my car. In the ing Porsche I had never lent to anyone before!

Her betrayal had me came undone. My world spun, my heart broke, and I nearly let myself fall into that old black hole of horrible thoughts if wasn't for Shinye.

Yes. Shinye. A few hours ago I was supposed to marry the sweetest person I have ever known. A few hours ago, I should have tied the knot with a girl who surely would never hurt me. Now I am on a jet plane with this heartbreaker instead. Crossing the continent to run away from what might be my best chance of happily ever after. Everything would have been easier if I hadn't known this snoring girl before. Everything!

"We're landing in twenty minutes, ma'am." The only attendant in this long flight came to me with a well-rehearsed saccharine smile. "Should I wake your friend up and ask her to wear the seatbelt."

"I'll do it." I sighed, sipping the rest of my red wine before handing the glass to the flight attendant.

"Yuri," I called her name quietly, nudging her foot with mine. Of all our differences at least we have one thing in common, we take our shoes off in flight. "Wake up."

Her eyes blinked open, twice, before she rolled into a fetal position and resumed sleeping.

Unbelievable.

"Kwon Yuri." I leaned forward, pulling at the hem of her jeans. "Wake up!"

"Oh, hey." She opened her eyes lazily, covering a yawn with one hand while stretching the other over her head. So casual, so innocent, as if none of these pieces of my heart was her responsibility. "Are we there yet?"

"Almost. Put your seatbelt on."

"I need to pee first." She stood up. "Do you need anything?"

"From the lavatory?" I quirked my eyebrows at her. "No."

She scrunched her nose at me, leaving.

I watched her from my seat. Her perfect tall built. The way she walked. The way those shoulders gave off a reassuring feeling. How that boring checkered shirt fell perfectly around her torso. How those basic pairs of jeans wrapped those long legs like they were tailored just for her.

We were like the two poles of the earth. Maybe that was why I can never let go of her. Maybe that was why I keep coming back to her no matter how much she hurt me.

"Not from the lavatory." She came back with two fresh apples in hand, casually putting one on my palm before taking her seat. "And I washed my hands before touching it."

"I'm not hungry."

"All you had is wine."

"I didn't see you eat anything either."

"I'll eat if you eat first." She flashed me that silly smile I hated to love.

I bit into the apple slowly, actually started feeling hungry after days of no regular eating. The wedding plan had wrecked my brain and my body at once. Not that I was out of the door, I realized that I actually felt more at ease.

"Why did you do it?" I stared at the apple in my hand, wondering if her answer will actually stop me from wanting her.

"Coming to the wedding?" She bit at her apple while throwing a look out of the window.

"No." I shook my head and took another bite. "Saving me only to tear me apart over and over again."

She took a deep breath, slowly turning her gaze at me. "The saving doesn't feel like saving at all, Jess. It's more about me saving myself by simply gravitated toward you."

"Now the tearing you apart," She took another deep breath and I could swear I saw a hint of tears in her eyes. "I have no good explanation for this stupid mind of mine. I'm sorry."

"I can't have your promise to never hurt me again, can I? You broke it before."

She shook her head weakly.

"I hate you." It was a statement of defeat, I didn't even have the conviction to actually despise her. "I ing hate you."

"I'm sorry."

"Can you at least promise to try? I'm leaving a perfect girl at the altar just to be with you. Can you at least stop throwing your at every good-looking doctor and nurse out there?"

"It was only Max and Hyori, I-"

"No. No." I wriggled my index finger at her. "This is hardly the perfect time to defend yourself. Say you'll try."

"I'll try."

"Good." I took a big bite of the apple as a little turbulence hit us. The jet shook a bit, so I dropped the apple and grabbed the armrest, squeezing my eyes shut.

"You okay?" There, I felt her gentle touch on my thigh. I didn't want to open my eyes but my brain fought me hard on this. Those caring gaze struck me not-so-gently when our eyes met a few seconds later and I easily fell into this fool once more. "It's just an air pocket we're hitting." Her reassuring smile cornered me.

"I know what it is," I said between gritted teeth. Flying on an airplane so many times before didn't help my case at all. I always hated the jerky movements that turbulence brings. As if laughing at me, the plane shook a little more violently.

"Here." She came across, sitting on the armrest of my chair. "Hold on to me."

"It's not gonna save me," I said while closing my eyes again. "If this plane split in two I'm still going to fall down with you."

"I know." She hugged my shoulders while laughing a little. "This is me trying. You want me to try, right?"

I didn't even want to look up, begrudgingly wrapping my hands around her waist, not saying another word. Her eyes would melt me. Her words would woe me. I would fall deeper into the complicated uncertainty that was Kwon Yuri.

"I love you." She kissed the top of my head. "Thank you for giving me one more chance."

The plane stopped shaking but I found myself leaning deeper into her touch. One more chance, I said to myself. Just one more ing chance.

We've Still Got One Problem (Or A few maybe? I dunno ^^)

"Hey there, newlywed."

"Hey!" Taeyeon gave Sooyoung a small smile as they high-fived each other weakly. Sooyoung, puffing an exasperated breath out, threw herself beside Taeyeon on the waiting chair. They were sitting outside the HR department of KJY Hospital in casual attire. No white coat, no doctor ID, no stethoscope, simply two doctors not allowed to get back to work yet. "I'm sorry I didn't invite you guys. It was so sudden."

"Everyone here thinks it's a shotgun wedding." Sooyoung winked at Taeyeon, not even showing a sign of hesitation. "Are you pregnant?"

"Absolutely." Taeyeon patted her super flat belly, grinning. "You can be the fun aunt to this cafeteria bulgogi I'm carrying."

"Man, I can't lose this bet." Scratching her head, Sooyoung puffed out another exasperated breath. "Are you sure there's no mini Jiyong swimming in your uterus? Actual sign of pregnancy might take weeks to show, you know?"

"There's not even a in there. My period came as soon as the wedding party ended." Absolutely faking her condolence, Taeyeon rubbed Sooyoung's shoulder. "How much are you losing to Jay?"

"Not Jay, Sunny. Over a chance of fully handling interns rotation next year."

"Ouch." Taeyeon chortled.

"I'd rather lose money. My interns from this year are absolute imbeciles, I need the best ones next year. Can't you please fake a pregnancy for your best friend here?"

"God, no. I can't even imagine how his grandmother will react to our marriage. Baby news will blow us out of the water."

"Yeah. I can really imagine the old Kwon Jiyoon seething at you from her sickbed." Sooyoung grinned. "You haven't met her yet?"

Taeyeon shook her head. To be honest it was one of the most dreadful things following their wedding. Jiyong took a flight back to Japan earlier this morning and she hated to imagine what news he might bring on their next call.

"Well, at least we'll have our work to do." Sooyoung beamed as someone opened the door and called their names. "I'm sure they will allow us to practice medicine today."

"You gotta be kidding me!" Sooyoung was all but throwing hands at the head of the HR department who passed them both a look of pity. "I'm fine. Taeyeon is fine. We dealt with all kinds of patients so many times before. We can get back to work just fine."

"The evaluation you took yesterday suggests otherwise, Dr. Choi. Both you and Dr. Kim are encouraged to take a few more days off then proceed to have consulting sessions in our employee assistance programs before going back to work."

"Employee assistance program is a label too nice for therapist sessions." Sooyoung chose to ignore the HR director completely and aimed her rant at Dr. Webber instead. "Why is the hospital treating us like this? We were on the front pages of every newspaper. People called us heroes. Shouldn't you guys appreciate our hard work more? Putting us on a pedestal? Not throwing us out of the hospital over the fear of hypothetical trauma looming over us."

"Nothing hypothetical about the result of your psychological assessment, Dr. Choi. It was conducted by professional." The bald director cut in. "PTSD is real and the hospital can't let you come close to any patient i

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter