Chapter 19

HEART BEATS
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

All Is Well

"This is a serious crime! I'm gonna sue her! I'm gonna sue you!"

"Me?" Yuri turns on her heels, observing the locked room for any possible exit. Jessica is locked in the next room and she needs her help. Smoke coming from the corner of Jessica's room where the fire has started consuming half the wall. Yuri has to act faster than the spreading danger. "I'm a victim too!"

"This wouldn't have happened if you didn't let such a maniac into your pants!" Jessica yells between coughs. The girl is sitting on the floor, glaring at Yuri through the smoke that gets thicker and thicker by the second. "That drugged me! Saying that I deserve it!"

"Stop yelling." Yuri rams her shoulder against the door. Of course, it doesn't budge. She uses all her strength to pull at the door handle, it doesn't even move an inch. "Stay still and save your breath!"

The thought of Hyori taking such a drastic move had never crossed Yuri's mind before. She knows that the nurse always goes a little extra but locking people in the room and set a fire in it just outright lunatic.

"Should have listened to Taeyeon." Slapping her forehead, Yuri tries to think. If she can do nothing to the door, the glass wall that separates her and Jessica is the next option. How can she break such a thick glass? "Should have listened to Dr. Torres. Aarrgh Yuri, you are so stupid."

" you, Hyori." Muttering under her breath, Yuri realizes that in this room there's a bed she can ram the glass with. The thing is, her legs still don't feel that strong. Whatever substance Hyori has injected into her neck some hours ago not only made her unconscious but has weakened her body all over. " you!"

"Did you just curse me?" Jessica's voice comes even weaker trough the small air vents on the glass wall

"Nooo. Not at all." Yuri presses both hands on the glass, trying to see Jessica better. The girl's ashen look and the way she keeps coughing strike fear in Yuri's heart. The carbon monoxide in the smoke clearly has gotten into Jessica's lungs.  "Take off your outer, Jessica. Use it to cover your mouth and nose. See if you can wet it with some water first."

"I can't even stand!" Slowly taking off her burgundy outer shirt, Jessica lies on the floor and cover her whole face instead. "My legs feel like Jell-O. Help me!"

"Alright. I'm coming." Steeling herself, Yuri walks for the bed. "I'm coming."

Her hands tremble a little as she unlocks the brake of the bed.  While her shaking legs tell her to rest on the comfortable mattress, her heart tells Yuri to keep going. Jessica needs her. It's her fault they both caught in this mess.

Wedging herself between the bed and the wall, Yuri slowly pushes the bed forward. "Jessica! Can you hear me? I need you to shift away from the glass, okay?"

No answer. Fear grows even bigger in Yuri's heart as she rounds the bed once more to see Jessica through the glass. "Jessica?"

"Y... yes..."

"Turn your body around! Don't face the glass. I'm about to ram it with the bed."

"Can you?" The girl uncovers her face and coughs. "Didn't Hyori tranquilize you too?"

"Don't worry. The effect has completely worn off on me." Yuri throws in a lie. "Shift away, okay?"

Painfully, Yuri watches as Jessica drags her body across the floor. When the girl manages to curls into a ball on the corner, Yuri tries to give her a thumb up. Jessica doesn't see the encouragement though. A coughing fit hits her as smoke rises higher all around.

"Hold on, Jessica! Hold on!" Yuri hurriedly gets back to the bed and pushes with all her might. She and the bed come like a train, speeding into the glass with a loud breaking sound.

The impact sends Yuri against the head of the bed. It feels like someone has punched her hard in the stomach yet she keeps going. Pulling the bed back, she rams it once more to create more destruction. The sound of glass cracking and falling apart feels like a bell of heaven to Yuri.

"Oh, God. We did it." Kicking the rest of the wall down, Yuri jumps over to Jessica's side. "I didn't think it will but it worked, Jessica!"

"Great." The girl falls into Yuri's arms. Clearly too weak to say anything else.

"Let's get you to my room, there's no fire in there." Yuri props Jessica up.

"Fire..." Head on Yuri's shoulder, Jessica points to the other corner of the room. "Hyori..."

"I don't think she's here. Let's go."

"No. " Jessica points again. "Fire. Gas."

Yuri pans her glance at the direction Jessica is pointing and gasps. The fire has consumed the wall of this room whole and now starts to crawl steadily toward the next room. In there, Yuri can see a row of gas tanks lining the wall. "! Come on!"

She ends up carrying Jessica's body back to the previous room. There's less smoke here but Yuri knows they are not safe enough if an explosion occurs. Laying Jessica on the corner, Yuri then runs to grab the mattress from the bed she abandoned a moment ago.

"We should get out..." Jessica whispers weakly when Yuri comes back hugging the mattress.

"I can't find any exit. I'm sorry." Yuri takes off her white coat and drapes it over Jessica before using her own body to shield the coughing girl. She holds the mattress tight in front of their bodies, hoping it will provide some semblance of protection.

"Yuri... This room will explode..."

"I know. I'm sorry, Jessica. I-"

Yuri doesn't get to finish her sentence. A loud hissing sound followed by a thunder-like explosion sends her body bumping against Jessica. The girl yelps in pain. Yuri too, something is hitting hard against the mattress, impacting her back hard. Darkness engulfs Yuri from within, making it impossible to open her eyes.

When Yuri is finally able to blink her eyes open, she sees Jessica's sweet face hover close. "Jessica..."

Yuri tries to hold her hand up, realizing that Jessica's arms are wrapped around her like a warm blanket. Yuri blinks once more, thinking how romantic this could have been if the damned black smoke doesn't dance around them like menacing ghosts.

"God, Yuri, I'm so glad you wake up." Jessica wipes her teary eyes. Turning her head to cough the dirty air out, a grateful smile still escapes her lips. "I thought I've lost you. The bed hit your back so hard."

"Are you okay?" Despite the pain radiating from her back, Yuri manages to sit up and hugs Jessica tightly. "Did you get hit too?"

"I'm fine." Words can hardly be heard between the coughing fit, Jessica returns the hug heartily. "Angry and immobile but fine."

"I'm sorry, Jess." Yuri stands up. Realizing that Jessica's burgundy shirt is covering half her face, she hands it back to the owner. "I promise I'll get us out."

Jessica shakes her head, offering the shirt to Yuri. "You're hurt. You need this more than I do."

"I'll be fine." Yuri can see the corridor from a hole in the wall that was probably created by the explosion. Kneeling in front of Jessica to loosely wrap the shirt around her nose and mouth, Yuri looks deep into her eyes. "We need to get across that damned smoke and fire. Get on my back and never let go, understand?"

"But... I'm heavy."

Yuri laughs a little at the absurd comment. Patting Jessica's head, Yuri turns around. "Come on, get on. Not every patient can get piggyback from Dr. Kwon Yuri."

"Can you get out and get me some help for me instead?"

"I'm not leaving you alone with those flammable gas tanks. Come on, hop up!"

It's rather heavenly, the way Jessica wraps her hands around Yuri's necks from behind. Taking a deep breath while using that sweet feeling as extra strength, Yuri stands up. "Owww, you're heavy alright."

"You!" Jessica swats Yuri's arm.

"Ready?" The opening on the wall is actually not that far. Doubt coming from the blazing fire, the thick smoke, and the fact that Yuri still literally feels a little weak in the knees.

"Ready."

Yuri takes another deep breath to erase the doubt. Hands wrap tightly around Jessica's legs, she dashes for the exit. They make it right before another explosion happens. A force so strong it nearly knocks Yuri down. She keeps going as the glass walls and the roof vibrate, following the red tape on the floor for emergency exit. Too bad thicker smoke bursts out once she opens the door leading to the fire escape. A scary rumbling sound can be heard from the floor below.

"I don't think we can go downstairs without the risk of severe carbon dioxide poisoning." Yuri shakes her head, heaving. "Should we go up, Jess?"

Shaking her head weakly, Jessica tries to slide down Yuri's back. "Leave me here. You can't possibly climb to the roof with all this weight."

"Not the roof. Just a few floors up so we can hail for help." Holding her tighter, Yuri starts climbing upstairs.

"Yuri, please. Just put me down. The building is crumbling. I'll only slow you down."

"You know what?" Taking it one step at a time, Yuri tries to distract them both with a bad joke. "With so many things happening in and around this hospital, your family should consider changing its name or something. This place is full of jinx."

"My grandmother is in comatose, Yuri. My father is facing two lawsuits each bearing a very long jail time." Jessica lays her head on Yuri's shoulder, closing her eyes. "Those jinxes are staying until one of them can come up to order people around again."

"You and Jiyong can come up and make the change."

"If I survive this."

"You'll survive this."

"Love the optimism but we're only one floor up." Jessica opens her eyes to see smoke filters through the gap between the emergency door and the wall. "There's probably smoke and fire behind this door too. Your girlfriend has gone out of her way to make sure we die in this building."

"In that case, watch me cut it short to the next two floors."

"Huh?"

Feeling Jessica lifting her head, Yuri uses the last of her strength to take two stairs at once.

"Yuri, careful!"

"Close your eyes."

"We might fall down!"

"No, we're not! Hold tight."

"Stop!"

"I can't. You're so heavy if I stop now I'll stop for good."

"You are such an ."

"Agreed."

"Yuri!"

"We're here." Heaving, Yuri yanks the door open and stumbles into the corridor. "Oh, God. You really need to go easy on the carbs."

"Say that to the fat on your thighs." Jessica frowns as Yuri takes her into a room. When Yuri lets her slide down onto a bed, Jessica takes off the shirt covering half her face and throws it at Yuri.

Yuri simply laughs, running out of the room and yell for help.

"Help!" Yuri speeds walk on the corridor, realizing there's no one around while fire alarms ring in every direction. Reaching the nearest nurse station, she grabs the phone but there's no connection. The same thing happens when she tries to contact anyone with the intercom.

Turning on her heels, Yuri starts hyperventilating. Everyone has gone. This building has been evacuated and they are stuck in it.

"Jessica! There's no one here. The landline and the intercom are not working." She yells while looking through a wide window pane. She sees no one outside this side of the building too. The thick smoke that filters from the floors below is her only friend right now. "Do you have your phone with you?'

"Your crazy girlfriend took it away!"

"Please stop calling her my girlfriend." Yuri sighs, running to the glass pane on the other side. She can see people gathering in the parking lot but they are too far to hear her. She comes back to the room, seeing Jessica still has a frown upon her face. "I'm sorry that Hyori did this to us but she's never my girlfriend."

"Yeah, right."

"I was with her just because I can't stand seeing you ro

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter