Chapter 8

HEART BEATS
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Staying Away From Kwon Jiyoon's Grandchildren Is Too Easy To Do.

“You are not sick.” Taeyeon pulls out the thermometer from Yuri's mouth. As expected, her eyes see a normal temperature reading. “This is all mental, not physical.”

“Isn't mental sickness also an illness?” Yuri pulls the blanket up to her neck, closing her eyes. “I'm not coming to work.”

“You're being a coward idiot right now.” Pulling the blanket down, Taeyeon straddles Yuri's stomach and leans close. “Wake up! Wake up! Wake up!”

“Whoa, cowgirl position.” Jiyong comes grinning, bearing a tray of breakfast. “Try it on me tonight, Tae.”

“Stop being such a and help me tow Yuri out of the bed.”

“I say let her be.” Jiyong puts the tray down, sitting on the bed. “Give her time to heal. Kissing another man in front of your girl crush is a heavy mental burden. We're lucky she didn't get a heart attack on site.”

“It has been a week! She has been missing work for four consecutive days. I can't cover for her anymore.” Taeyeon leans forward once more, this time whispering to Yuri's ear “Come to work today, I can get you into a very hot surgery.”

Yuri's eyes blink open.

“Colon cancer surgery. Dr. Webber is the lead.” Taeyeon adds feathery touch along Yuri's jaw. “You know how high his teaching spirit can be. He might let us perform an anastomosis. ”

Yuri sits up straight.

“That's my girl.” Taeyeon gets off of her best friend, winking at Jiyong as she grabs the glass of orange juice from the tray. “Take a bath. Now.”

“But I don't want to bump into Jessica.” Whining, Yuri extends her hand to grab the towel anyway.

“If we're fast enough we might even beat Sunny and Jay to Dr. Ok's Cholecystectomy today.” Taeyeon throws another bait, waiting for Yuri's reaction. “I know you've been dying to see how the laparoscope works in real surgery.”

“Two surgery in a day?” Yuri goes wide-eyed, slowly getting out of the bed. “One with laparoscope?”

“Three if you behave. Dr. Park promised me a CABG yesterday.”

“I'm in!”

As Yuri dashes to the bathroom, Jiyong laughs. He wraps a hand around Taeyeon's waist, barely gives the girl a second to put the glass down before pinning her on the bed.

“Come here you mistress of persuasion.” Hovering close, he stares into her eyes. “Persuade me to stay.”

“Nope.”

“Aren't you going to miss me?”

“This is a perfect time for you to stay away. We've been too close to the danger zone.” Pushing against his chest, Taeyeon grins. There have been too many times spent with tease and seduction between her and Jiyong. She's so afraid of falling too fast again. She needs a time out to clear her head. They need to spend some time apart.

“I honestly think a trip with my grandma is more dangerous than with you.” Jiyong runs a finger along Taeyeon's jaw. “Save me, Taeyeon.”

“And die trying? Your grandma can kill people in a single glare.” Taeyeon pushes harder, throwing him to the side. Sitting on the edge of the bed, she bites into Yuri's sandwich to hide her racing heartbeats.

“Heyy. Yours are in the kitchen.” Also sitting up, Jiyong puts a hand around Taeyeon's shoulder. “I put extra hams in it."

“I crave egg today.” She blinks, turning her head afraid of the way he looks at her. “Yuri can have the ham one.”

“I don't do ham this early.” Yuri comes back to the bedroom with nothing but a towel wrapped around her torso. “Please make me another one, Ji. I'll just eat it on the bus.”

“My flight is in an hour, guys. I can't be late.” Jiyong follows Taeyeon out of the bed. “Also, I'm the house owner, not your private cook.”

“You're our savior, Ji.” Taeyeon takes another bite of the sandwich as she walks away. “Once you get on that plane, we'll live on ramen and pizza for the next two weeks.”

“Four. I'm leaving for four weeks.”

“A whole month?” Taeyeon turns around, staring at Jiyong in disbelief. “You said you'll come back on the seventeenth.”

“Grandma texted the change of schedule last night. After the USA, she wants to introduce me to some of her business partners in Latin America too.”

Taeyeon frowns.

“Why? Didn't you say this is the perfect time for us to stay apart?”

“Nothing.” Shaking her head, Taeyeon tries to convince herself that this trip will actually do them good.

“I think one month is enough time for me to find a foreign girl to fall in love with. You won't have to worry about us getting too close to the danger zone anymore.”

“You!” Slapping Jiyong's arm, Taeyeon walks to the kitchen counter. This is too confusing. She wants him so badly yet fears their closeness at the same time. How come two weeks feel perfect but one month without him feels too long for her to stay sane. Has she gone crazy?

“Don't sulk. I was just joking.” He comes to her, hugging her waist from behind. “You know you're the only one.”

“I'm not sulking.” She puts her sandwich down and takes a slice of bread from the container. Slathering it with strawberry jam, she feigns ignorance. “I'm thinking of all the men I can screw when you're not around.”

Jiyong laughs, resting his chin on her shoulder “Don't eat too much junk food, okay? I have the fridge loaded with real food. All you have to do is a little cooking. If Yuri hogs all the veggies, just call Daesung at the grocery store. He promised me a weekly delivery.”

“I'm not a good cook.” Taeyeon leans back, relaxing into his touch. If she could do this daily without thinking of jumping him, they would have been fine together. “I will have to live on coffee for the next thirty days.”

“I'll text a daily menu to you every morning. Some quick recipes even a disaster chef like you can whip.” He lands a quick peck on her cheek. “If you have some time off from work use it for resting instead of screwing men. Don't try to overturn Yuri as the nymph of the house.”

Taeyeon snorts, can not frown too long under his spell. This proximity feels so good every time and she's tempted to take the freefall. He's the grandson of Kwon Jiyoon though. The woman who owns her workplace. Just like Yunho, Taeyeon afraid Jiyong will make her life extra complicated once more.

“Now stop spreading that jam, the bread is drenched already.” Jiyong laughs, letting Taeyeon go and takes the soggy bread from her hand.

“Ewww. What's that?” Yuri comes to the kitchen perfectly dressed for work but still toweling her wet hair. “Another one of Taeyeon's masterpiece?”

“Your breakfast.” Taeyeon grins, taking her egg sandwich back before Yuri can steal the moist delicacy. “My signature hemorrhaging sandwich.”

Jiyong laughs.

“What are you doing?” Taeyeon glares at Yuri who slows her step as they walk into Kwon Jiyoon Teaching Hospital's rear-entrance. “Don't slow down. Sunny and Jay will be here at any moment. We still need to talk Dr. Ok into this surgery.”

“You go first.” Yuri pulls up the collar of her coat. “Cover me if you see the Ice Princess.”

“Stop being so dramatic. Ice Princess gets in through the front lobby.” Taeyeon carries on with her upset, fast stride. “Can you believe Jiyong going to spend one month on this business trip? That's thirty days without him.”

“If Jessica asks me to work under her service, you have to come up with a reason to switch, understand?”

“I don't understand why his grandma has to bring him out of this country just to practice business. She can easily plant him on any managerial spot in this hospital or about fifty other domestic outlets her dynasty has.”

“I need to avoid Max too, you know? God, this is so difficult.”

“Okay. Stop.” Taeyeon brakes her steps, getting a fender bender from Yuri.

“Ouch!” Rubbing her forehead, Yuri glares at Taeyeon. “Don't stop here. Jessica might catch me.”

“Are we talking about my problem or your problem first?”

“Mine. I'm on the verge of death. You only have to hold your libido down for a month. No big deal.”

“It's not about . You know I don't want to get involved that deep with him yet.”

“But his depth and his length are all you've been thinking about lately.” Pushing Taeyeon to keep going, Yuri rolls her eyes. “Let's face it, Taeyeon. You want Kwon Jiyong so bad.”

“I'm facing it. I'm admitting my feeling to him. I just want us to slow down.”

“Well, one month apart will clearly slow you down. Take this gracefully. Use it as a chance to reflect. Stop whining and see if you still want to slow down when he comes back.”

“That's what I fear the most. What if I end up jumping him the minute I see him again? I don't want to ruin this relationship.” Taeyeon hits the elevator button. The door slides open immediately and she can hear Yuri's sigh of relief upon finding the empty car.

“There's nothing wrong with jumping an attractive single man.” Pulling Taeyeon to one corner, Yuri proceeds to use her best friend as a shield.

“Stop being so silly, I'm shorter than you.” Taeyeon turns and gawks. “I don't want to end with another heartbreak, Yuri. Something that bounds to happen if I fall too deep for Jiyong.”

“Damn this elevator really goes slow.” Yuri leans on the wall, staring at the numbers on the panel. “The way I see it, Jiyong is very kind. You guys are perfect together. If my never-ending hatred toward Yunho is the benchmark, I think Jiyong is safe for you.”

“Can you guarantee that he won't hurt me?” Taeyeon knows that doubt and insecurities are her trademarks. She can't do much about it.

“I can't.” Yuri shakes her head, stepping out of the elevator as soon as the door opens to the staff floor “Just know that if he ever hurt you I won't let him live.”

“You'll go against his grandma for me?” Taeyeon grins when they reach the locker room.

“In a heartbeat.” Yuri puts her bag into her locker. “Just get on with it. Act on your feeling. Have fun with Jiyong. If you're hurt in the end, I'll even go against Jessica to make sure you'll be okay.”

“What will you go against me for?” As if summoned by Yuri's call of her name, Jung Jessica steps into the locker room.

Taeyeon can see her friend freeze at the Ice Princess' presence. She acts fast, shifting a little to be Yuri's human shield once more. “Dr. Jung, how can we help you?”

“Taeyeon.” Not even glancing at Yuri for the second time, Jessica turns her focus at Taeyeon. “I need you to cover for me today. I have five lab results in waiting, one surgery preps under Dr. Byun, and about six hours of ER duty clocked before the day end. There are also a few other little stuff. I'll text you the details.”

“But...” Has been dreaming of performing anastomosis for ages, Taeyeon doesn't want to go down without a fight. “I have surgery with Dr. Webber today.”

“What? The colon cancer one? That's not even half the fun I'm offering you right now.”

“But...”

“It's either you or Yuri. Other interns are occupied.”

The threatened noise Yuri makes in the back gives Taeyeon no other option. Sighing deeply, she nods at Jessica. “I'll do it.”

“Report to me every time you meet a speed bump. Don't do anything stupid without my permission.” Jessica narrows her eyes at Yuri for a quick second before serving another glare at Taeyeon. "Understand, Taeyeon?"

“Yes, Dr. Jung.”

“Good.” With a hint of expensive perfume wafting in her wake, the Ice Princess leaves gaping Yuri and dumbstruck Taeyeon behind.

“God, Yuri. You woke up the monster in her.” Taeyeon leans on her locker, drawing a deep breath. “Her laser eyes are back. I'm doomed.”

“I owe you my life, Tae. Thank you for saving me.” Yuri takes off her coat and hugs her best friend. “By the way, did you notice her new hair? Chestnut looks so fine on her, no? The color brings her eyes out even more."

“Are you kidding me? I don't even have the guts to lift my eyes from the floor.”

“And those red pumps? Did you see them? Why would she wear such killer heels at work? Where are her usual sneakers? Is she trying to get ankle sprain in the middle of surgery?”

“Okay, you clearly misses her so bad.”

“She even wears a dress under the coat, Taeyeon! A hot merlot dress hugging her figure like

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter