Chapter 34: Ryujin Resolution

When The Flower Blooms

Empty Warehouse at Outskirt of Kyoto

Ryujin groaned in pain as when she falls on the ground. The Yakuza had been beating her for an hour now. They were surprised that she can keep up with their stamina and fight back. Ryujin is getting weak, her whole face and body is cover with bruises. She rolls to her side and tries to get up on her feet. She loses her balance and fall again.

“Ryujin…” an elder man approached her.

“Jiji…” Ryujin pants while greet her grandfather.

“The beloved granddaughter of Shinazaki Yoshida…” a large man with a deep scar on his face greet Ryujin.

“Ryosuke-sama…” Ryujin gets up on her weak legs and she bowed to him.

“You are a brave one even after your grandfather banned you from coming back to Japan, you still did…”

“My parents’ graves are here, can’t a child visit her parents?” Ryujin replied with a cold tone.

“I admire you Ryujin-sama, but the rule is rule, if you ever step foot in Japan, your head is ours.”

“Ryosuke!” Yoshida shouted at the huge man “Is there any other way round to let her go?”

“We gave you a chance 10 years ago Ojisan, now you’ve used up all of your card, we can’t let her go again.”

“Then take me…take my group but leave my granddaughter alone…” Yoshida begged.

“Oho, the leader of the Aizu-Kotetsukai begged me?” Ryosuke mocked Yoshida.

“Jiji…” Ryujin was saddened that her grandfather had to strip down his pride to beg for her freedom.

“Okay…if you give me your group I will let her go.” 

Yoshida was shaken, the group that he built from scratch is at stake, he didn’t know if he want to choose between family and his group, but seeing his granddaughter all bruised up, he decided to choose his family.

Yoshida take off his group Yukata and slowly kneel down “Oyabun!!” his underlings called for him to beg him from stop doing what he want to do.

“Get back!” Yoshida shouted “This is my matters…” Yoshida said.

“Jiji…” Ryujin cried, she didn’t want her grandfather to do such thing just to save her “Wait Ryosuke-sama!” Ryujin cried and she limped toward Ryosuke.

“You have your final word before your grandfather gave up his group for your sake?” 

“Jiji…Ryosuke-sama, I will give you all the properties that are under my name…you can have it all…but in one condition, I live and I get to come back to Japan to visit my grandfather and my parents’ grave, and Jiji get to lead his group without your interruption. The properties that I’m giving you is far more enough for you to live for generations”

“Properties?” Ryosuke raised his eyebrows.

“Yes…my father’s properties, back in Korea and here in Japan… I know my parents had caused a lot of problem to the Yakuza in Japan. So as a token of apology for their mistake, I offer you my properties as my truce within our clans.” Ryujin hands Ryosuke the documents that listed her whole assets. Ryosuke takes the documents and he was shocked by the amount of the asset Ryujin holds.

“Hmmm…you are filthy rich, even richer than your grandfather.”Ryosuke smirked.

“Ryujin ah!” Yoshida shouted at his granddaughter, Ryujin fidgeted when she heard his voice.

“Jiji…these properties doesn’t mean anything to me, family and friends matter the most…I rather lose all these than losing you and my friends.” Ryujin said to her grandfather.

“Yoshida-san, your granddaughter is a bright girl, she knows what the right thing to do…very well Ryujin-chan. I will take your offer. You are free to roam Japan as you like I won’t let my boys disturb you.” 

Ryujin hands in the documents that she had signed to Ryosuke for the guy to sign and it will transfer all of her properties to him. Ryosuke left after he took the documents. Ryujin just lost her millions dollar of properties. The only property that she gets to keep is the mansion that she rent to Yuna and a few doctors at Cheongdam-dong area.

Yoshida sighed as he look at his granddaughter “You are a headache since you were little Ryu…Those properties is your father blood, tears and sweats and yet you let it go to our enemy.”

“Those properties were gained through illegal business, the only one that I keep is the mansion that he left for me…”

“Ryujin…you were born into a Yakuza family, your blood is already dirty with all the illegal and crimes that we did in the past. I am disappointed with you for disregarding our tradition and family value.”

“I lost my parents due to that family tradition and value that you treasure so much, how many more life you want to sacrifice just so that you can keep the tradition alive Jiji? I just wanted a normal life.” 

“I know that you suffered enough. I am not going to force you anymore.” Yoshida sighed.

Yoshida gets up and he shake his head before leaving. He didn’t even look back at her. Ryujin could feel her tears is threatening to fall down, she tilt her head up to avoid it.

“Jiji…do you hate me?” Ryujin asked with her voice cracked.

“I could never hate you. You are my precious granddaughter, but I can’t accept you because you go against what we Yakuza believe in. Go Ryujin…you are no longer bound to us anymore, I free you forever from this family.”

“I get it…” Ryujin said and she bowed 90 degree to show her last respect to her grandfather. She couldn’t hold her tears anymore and she cries hard. She tries to muffle her voice by biting her lips. She bit her lips till it bleed, once that she is sure she is alone in the empty warehouse she scream out loud.

Ryujin releases her anger by destroying all the machinery at the empty ware house. She took the metal rod and smashed the empty drum at the warehouse. She releases her frustration over what happened. Her grandfather just disowned her though she knows he did that to keep her safe, but her main reason to come back to Japan is to prove to her grandfather that she had mature and she can be independent. She look at the time and saw that it’s already 7pm. “I have to go back…” she thought to herself and she limps toward the exit.

Yoshida Sanso Ryokan

Wendy is restless, she keeps on pacing back and forth in front of the entrance of the Ryokan. She is worries about Ryujin, she tried to call but Ryujin didn’t answer, it went straight to the voice mail.

Yeri had fallen asleep on the tatami floor on Irene’s lap. Irene gently the younger girl’s hair to calm her. “Seungwan ah, please sit down.” Irene invited Wendy to sit down, she is tired watching Wendy pacing back and forth.

“What if…what if she’s already dead?” Wendy cried.

“She will be okay Seungwan ah…”

“How can you be sure?”

“I agreed to adopt her didn’t I? A mother heart know best.” Irene explained.

Wendy tried to calm herself and she sit next to Irene. Irene rested her head on Wendy’s shoulder and her other hand hold Wendy’s vacant hand. She gently the back of Wendy’s hand in circular motion.

The sound of the gate open capture their attention and Wendy perks up to see the intruder, she saw a Ryujin, all cover in blood.

“Ryujin!” Wendy runs to Ryujin.

Irene gently lift Yeri’s head and put it on her scarf and then she runs toward Ryujin. Wendy catched Ryujin before she falls to the ground. Wendy falls on her but she keeps Ryujin save in her arms.

“Ryujin!!” Irene shakes Ryujin.

“Omma…” Ryujin mumbles with a very small voice “It is done…it is over.” she smiles before she passed out.

“Ryujin? Yah Ryujin!! Ryujin!” Wendy tries to tap the girl’s face to wake her up.

“Let’s take her to the hospital Wendy ah!”

“Yes yes right! Help me carry her!”

Both of the adult carry Ryujin to their rental car, Irene went back to the inn to wake Yeri up. Yeri woke up and saw that Irene is cover in blood, she almost fainted but Irene pull her up “We’re driving Ryujin to the hospital, you’re coming or not?”

Yeri gets up and put on her coat and then follow Irene to the car. Yeri saw Ryujin’s condition and she gasped with tears.

“Ryujinie…”

“Wendy drive as fast as you can…”

 

Hospital

“Doctor how is Ryujin?”

“I need to talk to her parents.” the doctor said to Irene and Wendy.

“We are her parents!” both said in unison “How is our daughter?” they both asked in unison again.

The doctor look at them confusingly, he sighed and gesture them to follow him inside his office. Wendy asked Yeri to accompany the unconscious Ryujin in the ward.

“How is my daughter condition doctor?”

“She is fine, a few bone crack here and there but she still go do her daily task, but I want to know if she is abuse?” the doctor look at them suspiciously.

“Why would we abuse her?” Irene fires back.

“A girl with her age having beat up like that, if it’s not abuse then what? We need to lodge police report on this matter.”

“You can’t…” Wendy said.

The doctor grow more and more suspicious of Wendy and Irene.

“She’s Shinazaki Yoshida’s granddaughter…if you get the police involve, I think it’s not a best solution.”

The doctor’s eyes went wide upon hearing the name. “Oh…I get…alright…umm…She can have a rest here for tonight, she can check out tomorrow.”

“Thank you doctor.”

 

Ryujin’s Ward

Ryujin opens her eyes slowly, the room was dark with only little light luminous the room. She turns to her side and she saw Irene is asleep with her head resting on her arms on the side of her bed. Wendy was fast asleep on the chair nearby and Yeri had curl up on the couch. Ryujin was feeling a little thirsty so she tries to get up without waking Irene up but she was no luck because Irene is a light sleeper and when she feels a little shift on the bed she knows that Ryujin is up.

“Ryujin…”

“Oh unnie did I wake you up?” Ryujin apologized to Irene.

“Are you feeling okay?”

“I’m just a little thirsty…”

“Don’t move, I’ll go get you a glass of water.” Irene asked Ryujin to lay down on her bed while she go take some water.

“Here…” Irene hands Ryujin the water, Ryujin thanks her and gulp down the water slowly.

Irene look at Ryujin with the softest gaze ever, she the girl’s hair while looking at her lovingly.

“How did you end up like this?”

“They beat me up, but everything is over now.” Ryujin cracked a smile.

“What do you mean Ryujin?”

“I exchange for my freedom with my assets. My grandfather banned me from coming back to Japan, but I missed my parents unnie…I know that he already drop me off his heir list because he didn’t want me to live the way he live his life, but I know the other Yakuza’s group will try their best to create a war with my grandpa and they will try to kill me. That’s why I eagerly want to come with you two…I want to make an exchange with the other enemy, to save me and save grandpa. But I have nothing now…” Ryujin looked a little sad.

Irene joy Ryujin on the bed and she pulled her close, she rest Ryujin’s head on her chest and sing her continue to her head “You still have me, you still have your Wendy unnie and Yeri and the rest of the Itzy, you are not alone…”

Ryujin silently cries in Irene’s arms and it was the first that Irene ever see Ryujin broke down like this, she had seen her cries but not like this. Irene continue to the girl’s shoulder, gently as she didn’t want to hurt her. They stay silent until both fallen asleep in each other arms.

Wendy woke up at the sound of her phone notification. She rubs her eyes and saw that there are notification from unknown number. She opens the notification.

Unknown - Hey, it’s Seulgi here, I get your number from Jisoo after I begged her for so many times. I had to bribe her with a month worth of chicken. Look if you are free do you mind meeting with me? This is not about Irene, but I need to talk to you. I need your help.

Wendy was curious at Seulgi’s message but she replied her.

Wendy - I’m at Japan now. Maybe we can meet when I return. I will set a date, will text you if I’m available.

She puts down her phone and saw that both Irene and Ryujin are cuddling on the bed. She smiles and she cover them with the blanket, and since the blanket could only cover one person, Wendy took off her jacket and cover Irene with it.

She see the time is only 630am, she decided to go for a walk outside of the hospital and maybe buy a cup of tea to calm her nerve down. She sees that Yeri is still asleep on the couch and that poor girl hadn’t had any meal since last night, so she decided to buy some breakfast for them.

Wendy steps out from the hospital compound and she saw Suzy.

“Hey!” Wendy greets Suzy.

“Hey…” Suzy replied, she blushed a bit upon seeing Wendy. There is something about Wendy that is charming to her.

“What are you doing here?” Wendy asked, trying to start a conversation.

“I’m helping my sister to take her medication…”

“Oh…she’s sick?” Wendy asked in concerning tone.

“Yeah…stage two cancer…”

“Oh…sorry to hear that.” Wendy apologized and now it make sense to her why Suzy eagerly wanting to bring her sister with her.

“What about you?” Suzy asked.

“Oh…my daughter is being hospitalize…”

“Your daugther?”

“Ah, no…umm I mean…adoptive daughter? Let just say she is someone whom is like my daughter…” Wendy knew she was ed up at the moment.

Suzy laughed at Wendy’s clumsiness, she offered to buy Wendy a cup of coffee but Wendy decline, she said she’s coming down to buy some breakfast for Irene and Yeri. Suzy said she can accompany her to buy some breakfast at the nearby convenient store.

They walk over to the convenient store together and on their way Suzy asked Wendy a few questions.

“So…you and Irene, you two are best friends?”

“Oh…no, she’s my girlfriend.” Wendy bluntly replied, but she regretted it immediately, because she does not know if Suzy able to accept the fact that both of them are gay.

“So, she’s a princess and she’s gay huh…” Suzy nodded in understanding.

“You’re not disgusted by us?” Wendy asked.

“Why should I?”

“Irene…she’s currently not living in the palace. She lived with me, the reason why she wanted you to go back is so she can step down from her place and for you to take over as the rightful heir.” Wendy explained.

“Isn’t that selfish of her? She decided to use me to step down so she can live together with you? Then what about my happiness Wendy?” Suzy asked.

Wendy was silent, she realized that what Suzy said was right, Irene and her are selfish because they never thought about Suzy feeling in regarding taking over Irene’s place. Wendy wanted to apologize to Suzy, but it seems like Suzy able to read her mind.

“Love is a very scary thing, people would do anything for love.” Suzy remarked. She paid for her sandwich and coffee and smile at Wendy “Don’t worry Wendy, despite what Joohyun unnie did is selfish but I know she did it for love. I will go back to Korea.”

“Suzy ah…thank you.” Wendy bowed 90 degree at Suzy.

“Don’t mention it…”

Wendy paid for her sandwiches and drinks too. She exits the convenient store and went back to Ryujin’s ward.

 

Seoul

Jisoo was having a bad day, she had a lot of meeting to attend and she hasn’t got time to video call her girlfriend for a few days now. She misses her, she misses her touch, and her voice. She can feel that they are growing apart, and she hated that feeling. She stumbled across Seulgi on her way to get her breakfast.

“Hey boss!” Seulgi greeted Jisoo.

Jisoo decided to offer Seulgi a place in YG entertainment as YG dance instructor. Jisoo smirked to herself when she see the irony of Seulgi circumstances. She used to hate YG Entertainment but now she is a part of it.

“Did you find Wendy already?” Jisoo asked.

“I did, she’s in Japan currently…”

“Oh, yeah I forgot to tell you that.” Jisoo said.

“You know I am grateful that you are willing to accept me into your agency.” Seulgi thanked Jisoo.

“Well you mocked me once saying that our agency is ‘doom entertainment’” Jisoo being sarcastic toward Seulgi.

“I’m sorry…” Seulgi apologized.

Jisoo was surprised at Seulgi’s change of attitude. From the mean and cold Seulgi to this bubbly Seulgi. She wasn’t going to recruit Seulgi as her company dance instructor but Jisoo is the type that easily sympathize with other people. She saw how Seulgi failed every interview and audition because people heard on how problematic she is. When she came to YG entertainment Jisoo didn’t even hesitate to hire her. Seulgi had been grateful toward Jisoo for helping her. 

The two of them decided to sit together and have breakfast together. Jisoo asked Seulgi why she left Irene. If it was her, she wouldn’t leave Irene for anyone else, Irene is beautiful, graceful and most importantly she is a princess. Seulgi confessed to her boss that she had fallen in love with other people and she can’t betray Irene, that’s why she had cold feet and decided to not appear during her wedding.

“I can’t believe you will do that…”

“People will do crazy things for love…” Seulgi replied.

Jisoo went silent, because what Seulgi said is right. People would do crazy thing for love. She is willing to leave everything and go to Rosé, but she knows Rosé will not like it and they will probably fight. The crazy thing that she did for love now is not seeing her girlfriend for a whole 3 years.

“I’ve paid for our breakfast, see you at the company…” Jisoo excused herself with her coffee.

On her way to her car, Jisoo texted Rosé but as usually, the girl didn’t reply, she must have been busy.

 

Kyoto, Japan

Wendy paid for Ryujin’s hospital bill, she was a little enraged that Ryujin’s grandfather just left Ryujin alone and shaken and he didn’t even send her to the hospital. She is even angrier when she found out Ryujin exchange her assets with her freedom and she is left with nothing now. She vowed to herself that she will take care of Ryujin from now on.

Yeri and Irene were helping Ryujin walking, as she still limping due to her leg injury. Irene asked if she needs the crutch to walk, Ryujin said she can manage it. The pain is still bearable for her. As they were leaving the hospital, the four of them were surprised by a group of Yakuza waiting for them outside of their car.

Ryujin and the leader locked eyes, the leader was scorning at them, but then all of them bowed at Ryujin in 90 degree manner surprising Ryujin.

“Thank you for letting us stay in Oyabun’s group Ryujin-sama…” they all said in unison.

Shinagawa appear from behind them and he too bow to Ryujin.

“I know that your grandfather had cut you off from the group Ryujin-sama, but to us, you are still part of the group and you are always our official leader after oyabun passing.” Shinagawa explain. “We will see you around.”

Ryujin bows to them too, she was in tears, she knows it was her grandfather that send them. The group bid them good bye as they drive away. Ryujin keeps waving at them until they were out of sight.

“Unnie…” Ryujin softly call for Wendy.

“Yes?”

“Can we make a pit stop before going back to the inn?”

Irene and Wendy look at each other and then Wendy look back to Ryujin from the rear mirror and she nods at her.

 

Kurodani Cemetery

Ryujin silently pray for her parents. She lights incense for both her parents and then clap her hand to pray for their souls. Yeri helped Ryujin to clean the surrounding, she saw the picture of Ryujin’s mother on the tombstone. Ryujin looks just like her mother.

“Your mother she is beautiful…” Yeri blurted out.

“She is…” Ryujin smiles proudly “She was known as Kyoto dragon girl, I wonder how dad could fall in love with her, because mom was so brutal…and she even named me Ryujin, which also mean god of the dragon in Japan…” Ryujin frowned when she remembered how her ex classmate used to make fun of her name.

“I think your name is beautiful.” Yeri smiles at Ryujin.

The situation got awkward for a moment and then Yeri tries to change the subject to make it less awkward.

“What did you said to them?” Yeri asked.

“I told them that I’m living my best life with my new family…”

Yeri now understand how important is Irene and Wendy are in Ryujin’s life, she didn’t just treat them as older sister, but more of a family.

“Then I’ll be your big sister!” Yeri exclaims.

Wendy and Irene were watching from afar. Wendy is relieved that Ryujin is okay, and she is taking things better than she did. Irene holds Wendy’s hand to get the girl’s attention.

“I’m really thankful that Ryujin is okay…”

“Yeah… me too…I’m going to make it officially with Ryujin…” Wendy said.

“Hm?”

“I’m going to adopt her…she has no family members anymore…so I’m going to adopt her.” Wendy explained.

Irene is happy, she hugs Wendy tightly and she thanked the girl. She had always wanted to adopt Ryujin but with her status she is not able to, but she didn’t dare to ask Wendy to adopt Ryujin. It will be easier for Wendy to adopt Ryujin because she is just a normal citizen and not a royal family.

“I will meet with Alice the first thing when we return to Seoul, to get the paperwork ready.”

“Ryujin would love that.” Irene said.

“Let’s make it a surprise for her.”

Irene now knows why she fall madly in love with Wendy, it was her selflessness that made her love Wendy. She rested her head on Wendy’s shoulder and stare lovely at the kids bickering about something. Wendy put her arm around Irene’s shoulder and slowly the girl’s arm and then she look at her phone and it’s already almost 6pm.

“Yah kids, it’s almost 6! Let’s go back.”

“Coming!”

To be continue…

A/N:

Just a little sweet update before the storm. Don’t worry I’m not going to give Wendy a deadly illness, she will be alive until the end.