Chapter 11: Wendy's Past

When The Flower Blooms

OTW to Zimzalabim’s Café

Henry phone rang, Irene saw the caller ID and it was Wendy. Henry picked up his phone “Yo Wendy, what’s up? What? Oh…okay I see…Yes I will send her home after our shift…okay…I know that! We got helper already…don’t worry about the café. Okay, see you, bye.” Henry hang up.

He turned to Irene “Wendy is not coming today. She said she’s not feeling well so she’ll just rest at home. She asked us to take care of the café and we can close early.”

“Oh…” there was a hint of sadness in Irene’s voice.

“She will be okay Irene, don’t worry about her. She’ll get over her anger sooner or later.” Henry reassured Irene.

Irene nodded and she scrolled on her phone, hoping that Wendy would somehow reply her, but there was no reply from Wendy. Irene sighed and she stare out the car window, watching the people walking by the walkway.

 

Wendy’s Apartment

Wendy planked herself on the couch, lying flat on her stomach. She looked at her phone, she opened up her phone gallery and scroll thru the picture and she stared at the photo of Irene that she secretly took. Jennie’s words keep floating in her mind.

Flashback

Wendy woke up early, and he went to washed herself. She then proceeds to the small kitchen to prepare some breakfast for the three of them. She opened the fridge, took out 3 eggs and then she opened up the cupboard and took out three packets of ramen.

Lisa’s bedroom door opens and a dishevelled looking Jennie came out from the room. Wendy noticed all the hickeys on her neck, Wendy smirked and then she pointed it out to Jennie “I think you need to cover that up.”

Jennie quickly used her hand to hide the hickey and rushed to the bathroom. She screamed when she saw the state of her necks.

Lisa came out from her bedroom too when she heard Jennie’s scream “What’s wrong?!”

“Yah Lalisa! Look at what you’ve done?! How am I going to hide this?” Jennie pointed at her neck.

Lisa grinned at Jennie, she looked proud at her creation “Well now all those boys won’t make a move on you if they saw that~”

“Yah!” Jennie reached for the plushy on couch and throw it at Lisa. Lisa avoided, but she loses her balance and fall on her back.

“Argh!” Lisa yelped.

“Oh no baby are you okay?!” Jennie immediately rushed to Lisa’s side to check on her girlfriend.

“Oh wow, look at you two, who would’ve known that both of you will end up together? All I ever remember is Jennie used to hate you so much Lisa~” Wendy said.

“You used to hate me?” Lisa asked in her tiny whimpering voice.

“Used to Lili, used to.” Jennie kissed Lisa on the forehead to show that she had put her hatred in the past. She used to hate Lisa because Lisa constantly , she herself didn’t know why she fell for such a dork, but Lisa is her dork.

“Okay enough of the sweetness you two, you’re giving me diabetes! Come on and eat breakfast, I cooked some ramen.”

Lisa get up from the floor and races Jennie to the kitchen counter, but she failed miserably when she almost slipped again. “Geez what’s with my streak of bad luck?” Lisa complained.

“Me too…” Wendy sighed.

They ate their breakfast in silence, until Lisa asked Wendy how long she is going to stay with her.

“Babe!” Jennie smacked Lisa on the chest when she asked Wendy that question.

“I was just want to make sure she feels comfortable here, if she’s staying longer I need to get some necessary stuff like a sofa bed, she can’t keep sleep on the couch.” Lisa argued

“It’s okay Lisa, I’m going back today…thank you for your hospitality.”

“You know unnie, sometime I feel like you and Irene-unnie were like a married couple.” Jennie blurted out.

Wendy almost choke on her ramen “What?!”

“Last night I texted unnie I told her that you are with me, I asked her to don’t worry about you. I mean you two stay together, she cares about you, you care about her, and now you’re like a runaway wife who got angry at her husband. Seriously unnie, I do think Irene unnie likes you a bit, I’ve seen the way she looks at you.”

“That’s impossible, I mean we only met for a few days.” Wendy denied.

“But she’s comfortable with you. I mean she’s the type that hard to open up to anyone but with you, she seems relax.”

“It’s true, Jisoo told me about Irene liking you too~” Lisa said with full.

“What are you two talking about?!” Wendy tried to deny it again.

“Unnie, how long has it been that Joy and you broke up? 3 years? 4 years? And don’t tell me you aren’t attracted to Irene-unnie I mean she’s gorgeous, even I had a crush on her when I was young.”

“Wait what…Nini…you had a crush on your cousin?” Lisa asked, she was shocked.

“I mean who wouldn’t, she’s gorgeous, and she’s y and she…”

“Stop it…” Wendy stopped Jennie before the girl gave too much information.

“You’ve been lonely for 4 years unnie, don’t you like have need? It’s impossible that you feel nothing when you two were alone in your apartment?” Jennie teased again.

“I’m sorry Jennie, but I am capable of controlling my libido.”

“I’m just saying unnie, just saying~” Jennie grinned at Wendy.

“I really think you should move on from Joy unnie~” Lisa added.

“Yeah…you’re single, Irene-unnie also single~ try things out with her~” Jennie suggested.

“Her fiancé just left her a few days ago Jen!”

“Yeah, so she’s available now!”

“I don’t think her heartbreak is heal yet!” Wendy fired back.

“Oh so yours is healed?” Jennie replied sarcastically.

“We all know you still have feelings for Joy, unnie. Every time Red Velvet appears on TV you tried to avoid them but at the same time, you keep streaming their music even named your café with their title song. She is getting married soon unnie, you really to move on.”

Wendy was silent, she tried to avoid any topic that involved Joy in it. Jennie knew that Wendy’s silence is a sign that she is not comfortable to talk about Joy.

“What if Irene don’t find me attractive?” Wendy suddenly asked.

“Then she is blind.” Lisa joked, but she received a glare from Jennie and Wendy.

“Sorry…” Lisa apologized.

“Unnie…it’s worth it to try.” Jennie held Wendy’s hand and give it a little squeeze.

Wendy took a deep breath and let it out “I will try to apologize to Irene today…and see how it goes.”

End of Flashback

 

Wendy stared into Irene’s photo that she secretly took and she holds her beating heart. “Do I really starting to fall for you?” she asked herself. Wendy did not deny that she felt some sort of feeling whenever she is with Irene, but she didn’t know if it’s love or not? She had been out of love for so long that she forgotten how to love. She wanted to fall in love again but she doesn’t know if she is capable of. After she and Joy break up, she was too afraid of falling in love again. She was afraid to get hurt again. But now she is worried, she is worried about what Irene thinks of her. Her attitude this morning made her wanted to punch herself. Irene basically did nothing wrong but she treated her like she did something awful. Furthermore, Irene is a princess and she treated her like that.

“Stupid Wendy!” Wendy scolded herself. Then she remembered that both of them are going to a charity ball on Saturday. She jumped out from the couch and dashed out from her apartment.

She drove to Jennie’s boutique. She rushed in, greeted the employees and demanded to see Jennie. Jennie came out and saw the panting Wendy.

“Did you just see a ghost?” Jennie asked.

“I need a dress…” Wendy panted.

“A dress? You barely even wear skirt unnie…”

“Not for me, but for Irene…”

Jennie’s eyes widen when she heard Wendy mentioning Irene’s name “Oh~ but for what occasion?”

“We’re attending Nayeon’s ex charity ball tomorrow…so she needs something nice to wear, she’s a princess after all.” Wendy explained while rolling her eyes.

“I thought you didn’t want to care about her anymore?” Jennie smirked.

“I never said that…”

“So you still care about her?”

“I care about everyone Jennie, come on help me pick out what suit her.” Wendy was getting restless at all the question Jennie keep asking.

“I know just what you need!” Jennie squealed. Fashion is her passion and she likes to help people to get dressed.

 

Zimzalabim Café

Irene is daydreaming, as usual the café is empty. They had a few regular coming in the morning for brunch and then in the afternoon it was empty again. Irene took out the blue notebook and continue reading it again. She felt guilty when she read the notebook, but she can’t help it. The more she read the more she kind of understand Wendy.

“Joy was lucky to have you, Wendy. And she is an idiot for letting you go.” Irene thought. Irene jumped when her phone rings, “I seriously need to get that ringtone change!”

“Hello.” Irene picked up.

“Joohyunie, it’s me…”

“Seulgi…”

“I’m sorry to bother you, but we really need to talk.”

“Didn’t I told Joy that I will meet you at the ball?”

“I know, but can we meet like today? I miss you.”

Irene went silent, she hadn’t miss Seulgi even for once after she left her at the church. A certain someone’s face appears in her mind, it was Wendy. It was Wendy that keep her occupied from thinking about Seulgi.

“Irene…”

“I can’t Seulgi…let’s just meet during the ball.”

“Don’t you miss me?”

“I don’t…”

“I don’t believe you.” Seulgi cried.

“You shattered my heart into million pieces Seulgi, and you expect me to forgive you just like that? Even if I forgive you, my heart won’t be the same as before.”

“I want to fix everything Irene-ah…”

“It’s too late now Seulgi…” Irene hang up without properly saying goodbye.

 

“Unnie~” Yuna greeted Irene.

“Oh you guys are here.” Irene greeted back.

“Yes we’re here and we’re ready to work!” Chaeryoung said energetically.

“Where’s Wendy unnie?” Yeji asked.

“She’s…she’s not feeling well…” Irene replied.

“Is it because of what happened yesterday?” Ryujin asked while scanning the whole café.

“Come on kids, you guy have been asking Irene too many questions! Got on and get change to your uniform!” Henry chipped in and he handed the girls black shirt and a hat each.

“Yes, sir!” the four of them saluted Henry, which annoyed him and then they walked to the toilet to get change.

“Kids nowadays…” Henry sighed.

“Henry-ah…”

“What?” Henry was surprised that Irene called her not in annoyed manners for the first time.

“What do Wendy likes? I mean is there anything specific that she likes?”

“Hmm…why you want to know?”

“I’m just curious.”

“Okay I’ll tell you all about Wendy!” Henry said excitedly almost scaring Irene.

“No, just tell me her preferred color or food, or drinks.”

“Blue, anything with Kimchi and Boba…”

“Oh..kay…”

“But you know, becoming a barista is her second option, before she got heart broken, her first option is to become a music producer.”

“What happened then?”

“What happened was, she got heart broken, she destroyed all of her musical instruments, all of the songs that she wrote, she destroyed it all. She wrote all those songs for her ex, and she thought it was pointless to keep all of the things that made her think of her ex at that time. She struggled with depression and she even tried to kill herself, I was lucky to find her unconscious in her bedroom. She swallowed a whole bottle of sleeping pills…”

Irene gasped, she couldn’t believe that a cheerful girl like Wendy would do something like that.

“She had to go thru rehab for a year, then she got a part time job as barista. And then suddenly one day she told me she wanted to open a café. She told me it was relaxing to be able to listen to people’s interesting story. Her loan was approved and poof, this café is the proof. She put a lot of effort into decorating this café, crafting the menus and everything. But I know that music is still her passion.”

“Unnie~” someone called for Irene and she turned to the voice’s owner “How do we look?” Ryujin standing there posing for Irene to judge.

“All of you look cute.” Irene replied with the warmest smile ever.

“Okay, I am going to give y’all little ladies basic training on how to serve customers, cleaning and then drink making. It’s not gonna be fun! So please pay attention.” Henry said.

“Yes sir!” the girls replied.

Irene smiled at them, then she noticed that Ryujin keeps looking at her, she smiles at Ryujin and then Ryujin quickly turned away “Rude…” she thought.

She watched as Henry teaches the kids how to serve a customer, she rested her chin on her palm, she wished that Wendy was there with her. “It would be more fun if Wendy is here.” Irene thought and by that moment she knows she can’t live a day without Wendy beside her. Then she remembered the moment when she almost kissed Wendy. She would be lying if she didn’t feel anything that time. She shook it off as ual frustration, ever since her relationship with Seulgi drifted away after Sunmi appeared, they barely had time for each other. Seulgi was busy with RV’s comeback and promotion and then tours, Irene gets frustrated sometimes, but she tried to understand Seulgi pressure as Idol. Maybe the love between she and Seulgi had long gone but she was just too afraid to admit it. She kept telling herself that everything is going to be fine. When Seulgi didn’t appear during their wedding ceremony, Irene knew that her love for Seulgi is gone.

“I should move on…” Irene thought to herself.

 

Ruby Jane Kim Boutique

“Honestly speaking unnie…you’ve spend like 2 hours and my boutique isn’t that big, you still can’t find anything for Joohyun-unnie?” Jennie was tired from following Wendy around.

“I don’t know Jennie…I just feels like all those that I’ve choose isn’t going to look good on her.” Wendy sighed as she continues to browser for more clothes.

“Joohyun-unnie looks good on anything you know.”

“I want her to look stunning!”

“You’re not afraid that all the men at the balls going to look at her? She’s a princess Wendy, don’t forget that.”

“Ah dang, you’re right!” Wendy grunted, she wants Irene to look like the princess she is but she didn’t want people to keep looking at her.

“Look, how about I choose for you, I’ll send it to your house later?”

“But what if the one you choose is something that she doesn’t like?” Wendy asked.

“I’ve known her whole my life, and you only know her for a few days and you dare to judge my choices for my cousin?” Jennie was getting annoyed by Wendy’s request and question.

“Okay…okay I get it Kim, do whatever you wanna do, just send the bill to me later.” Wendy sit on the waiting couch and crossed her legs.

“You sure you don’t want to go back to the café?” Jennie asked while browsing thru some of her design clothes “If you want to apologize properly, maybe you can go buy some flowers, bring unnie out for diner.”

“That sounded like taking someone out on a date…” Wendy replied.

“I’m only giving suggestion~”

Wendy gives Jennie the side eyes “Are you trying to play cupid now Jennie Ruby Jane Kim?”

“I can’t? Well you always play the cupid whenever you get the chance.”

“Speaking of that…I think that Rosé and Jisoo are together.” Wendy blurted out.

“…They what?”

“Don’t you feel weird that they spend most time together? You can hardly see them not together.” Wendy hinted, she didn’t want to tell Jennie about what happened at her house a few days ago.

“Ah well…maybe because Jisoo is Rosé designated driver.” Jennie tried to reasoned, she just couldn’t believe Rosé will be so bold to date Jisoo. She’s a shy person, and she knows her best friend will tell her first if they are dating.

“Here unnie! I think Joohyun unnie will like this one!” Jennie handed Wendy the black off shoulder dress that she chosen.

Wendy imagined that Irene wearing that dress and she blushed then she shakes her head to clear her mind. She took the dress and pay for it.

“Thanks Jennie for helping me, I think I’ll heed your advice and go back home, apologize to Irene and try to work things out.”

“You go girl~” Jennie cheered on Wendy.

Wendy exited the boutique, feeling a little giddy inside. Wendy halted her steps when a black van stopped in front of her. She frowned because the van could have hit her if she didn’t stop. When the van’s door opened, a RV member come out.

“Yah! Kim Yerim! Can you don’t be so rude!” someone yelled from inside the van.

Wendy was surprised to see Yeri, she knows that someone that she wanted to avoid for so long is in that van too. She tried to quickened her pace to reach her car, but her heart stops when she heard the familiar voice that she hadn’t heard in a long time.

“Wendy…” the voice called out.

Wendy took a deep breath and slowly turn to face the person that she wanted to avoid for so long “Joy…” she greeted the tall girl.

Joy smiled at Wendy, she was genuinely happy to see her again. She approached Wendy and gave her a hug, but Wendy stiffened. Joy was a little sad at Wendy’s reaction but she understands why Wendy acted that way.

“I miss you.” Joy whispered, and it send shivers down Wendy’s spine.

“Yah!! Kim Yerim!!” Seulgi’s voice catches Wendy and Joy’s attention.

“Yeri-ah, can you please don’t act this way.” RV manager tried to talk to the youngest member of RV.

“I told you I don’t want to share a ride with that cheater!” Yeri fired.

“How many times do I have to told you?! I didn’t cheat on Irene!” Seulgi replied.

“Seulgi…” Wendy muttered under her breath, she is somehow angry when she remembered what Seulgi did to Irene.

“Oh so you said you didn’t cheat but what’s up with all the sneaky date that you had with Sunmi unnie? If you said you two were just friend you wouldn’t be sneaking out to go out on a dat with her!” Yeri argued back.

“Yes I admit that me and Sunmi-unnie had a fling but that was before I agreed to marry Irene, there’s nothing between me and Sunmi-unnie anymore, we break things off!” Seulgi admitted.

“Ha! I got it all recorded Kang Seulgi! I am sending this to Irene unnie!” Yeri threatened with her phone.

“You delete that footage!” Seulgi launched herself at Yeri, Joy rushed to her bandmate, she tried to separate them but she was helpless. Seulgi accidentally pushed Joy too hard and she fell on the ground. Wendy impulsively run toward Joy side and she helped Joy to get up. Joy thanked Wendy, their faces were so close and it send Wendy blushed so hard. Wendy quickly let go of Joy’s hand and she tries to stop Seulgi and Yeri.

“Stop it you two!” Wendy pushed both idols to the side.

Jennie who saw all the commotion came out to check on what is happening outside of her boutique.

She gasped when she saw RV and Wendy were fighting outside, people start to gather around them. “Why does this always happen at my boutique! First it was Seulgi Irene meeting and now Joy and Wendy meeting!” Jennie sighed.

“Who are you? Stay out of our group matters.” Seulgi warned Wendy.

“I’m sorry that I in, but as an idol, you should take this fighting to somewhere more private.” Wendy tried to keep herself calm.

“Tell that to Kim Yerim.” Seulgi retaliated.

“I told you I don’t want to be in the same ride with you and you insisted we share the ride!” Yeri strike back.

“I’ve tried to talk nicely to you Yeri…I still love your cousin, and I will always love her, so please help me to get back to her.” Seulgi toned down her voice.

“Love her? When Sunmi-unnie is around all you do is glue your eyes to Sunmi!”

“Oh like your cousin didn’t try to seduce other guy everything we have an event? She always wear like a and all the men had their eyes on her and that is okay?!” Seulgi scoffed.

Wendy was triggered when she heard Seulgi remark. She impulsively punched Seulgi on the face, which caused people all around them to gasped. Everyone had their phone up and everyone recorded the moment.

“Wendy!” Joy yelled for the shorter girl to stop punching Seulgi.

A few security guards try to hold Wendy back.

“What is wrong with you?!” Yeri yelled at Wendy. Yeri rushed to check on Seulgi. Seulgi lips were bleeding but she wiped it all off.

“I hate Seulgi for cheating on Irene but not the the extend I wanted to punch her!” Yeri yelled again. Joy was shocked to see Wendy’s reaction. She never sees Wendy being aggressive like this before, she was a little scare of this Wendy.

Wendy glared at Seulgi and she muttered something under her breath “You take that back…”

“What?”

Wendy breaks loose from the security’s hold and she grabbed Seulgi by the collar and yelled at her “You take that back!! Irene is not a !!”

“Wendy unnie!!” Jennie called for the short hair girl. Jennie picked up the dress that Wendy had tossed on the ground when she punched Seulgi. “Take this, and go home. Calm yourself down unnie…” Jennie pushed Wendy away, and Wendy obeyed. She walked away but before she entered her car, she turned back to look at the scared look in Joy’s eyes and then she drives away.

“There’s nothing to see here! To all those who capture the video or picture of what just happened I want you all to delete it or I will sue all of you for defamation!” Jennie warned all the people that is present at the scene.

“Seulgi you okay?” Joy asked her bandmate.

“Geez, she could’ve broke my jaw if you guys didn’t stopped her.” Seulgi held her cheek that Wendy just punched.

“You guys get inside first…” Jennie instructed the RV girls.

Yeri and Joy helped Seulgi to get into the boutique, while Jennie clean up the mess that they’ve created. She asked her security to make sure that everyone deleted all the images and videos that they have took.

After she ensured that everyone had deleted everything, Jennie took out her phone and made a phone call to Irene.

“Hello.”

“Unnie…”

“Yes Jennie?”

“I think you should go home now.”

“Why?”

“I’ll send you the footage, please watch, then you’ll understand why.”

“Oh…okay.”

Jennie hung up and she went back to her boutique with heavy steps. She is tired that she had to deal with all this mess.

 

Zimzalabim Café.

 

Irene received the footage that Jennie send, she plays the footage and was shocked to see that Wendy punched Seulgi.

“You take that back!! Irene is not a !!”

Irene gasped when she saw that Seulgi was bleeding, but she is more worried of Wendy right now, she went to Henry who was busy teaching the kids how to make the drinks.

“Henry! I gotta go! It’s Wendy!”

“Oh…okay…”

Irene took all of her stuffs and when she wanted to dash out Henry called out for her “Hey Irene can you drive?”

“Yeah…” Irene replied.

“Then take my car! But drive carefully!”

“But what about you?” Irene asked

“I can take the uber, just go.”

“I owe you Henry…” Irene thanked Henry, she took his keys and dashed out.

 

Wendy’s Apartment

Irene pushed the door hard, she didn’t bother to even take off her shoes. She walked into the living room, she saw a bouquet of hyacinth flower on the coffee table. A sorry note and a shopping bag. She searched the house for Wendy, and then she heard the water running inside the bathroom. Irene approached and she saw that the door was unlocked. She slowly opens the door and she saw Wendy sitting on the bathroom floor, letting the shower to rain on her. Irene squatted in front of Wendy, she saw that Wendy knuckle is red, probably from the impact of her punching Seulgi earlier. She cupped Wendy’s face to make Wendy face her. Wendy looked into Irene’s eyes, she smiles and pulled Irene into a tight hug.

“I’m sorry…I’m so sorry…” Wendy apologized.

Irene returned the hug, she didn’t care about getting wet under the shower, she just wanted to be there for Wendy.

 

To be Continue.

A/N:

Guys, today I read about the most devastating news ever. Sulli the ex-member of F(x) killed herself. Let’s all send our prayer to Sulli’s family and friends. I used to love F(x) back then, F(x) had been a part of my life growing up. It breaks my heart to learn about the news. Please, if you have depression, talk to someone. Don’t give up on your life. We lost Jonghyun and now Sulli because of depression. I myself suffered from severe depression a few years ago, but I was lucky I have family members that love me, I have friends that supported me. So please, if you don’t like the idols, just keep it to yourself, you never know what could be the trigger for them to take their own life. Rest in peace Sulli.