Chapter 15: The Story That She Can't Tell Anyone

When The Flower Blooms

Irene woke up to check on Wendy. The girl had been tossing around and talking in her sleep. Irene saw that Wendy is sweating profusely, Irene took the clean cloth by the bed side and wipe Wendy’s sweat.

“Is she having a bad dream?” Irene thought. She stays awake to watch over the younger girl.

Wendy suddenly shouted someone’s name, Irene tries to wake her up from her nightmare. She gently shakes Wendy by the shoulder, calling for her name but Wendy was not responding.

Wendy continuously screaming, she tossed around and sweat even more, Irene got worry.

“Wendy-ah! Wendy-ah!” Irene called for Wendy.

Wendy didn’t respond to Irene’s call, she continues to toss around shouting the same name over and over again “Seunghee unnie!” she shouted.

 

Wendy’s Dream

“Unnie!” Wendy shouted, calling for her older sister.

“Unnie don’t leave me!” Wendy cried.

“Unnie!! Seunghee unnie ah!!”

The flashback of her sister dying replay in the background, she was cradling her dying sister. She cried her heart out, ignoring the pain on her broken leg and arm. She prayed to God, asking Him not to take her sister away from her.

“Unnie I’m sorry, I’m sorry that I didn’t listen to you…please come back. I miss you and I miss mom!” Wendy cried.

A girl wearing white appeared before Wendy “Seungwan-ah…”

“Unnie!” Wendy tried to hug the figure but she went thru, it was just an illusion. Wendy turns around trying to find her sister again.

“Seungwan-ah.” The lady called for Wendy again “It was not your fault, stop blaming yourself.”

“It is my fault.” Wendy cried and she fell on her knee “If I just listen to you that time, you and mom probably will still be alive…”

“Seungwan…dad needs you. He is dying, he needs you to be by his side.”

“Where was he when you and mom need him?” Wendy asked in tears “Where was he when I needed him? He was never there for us and now he wants me to be there for him?!”

“Seungwan-ah…please don’t be like this. He is still our father.”

“He is the reason why you and mom died!!!” Wendy was enraged when she remembered what her father did.

“Everything happen for a reason Seungwan, how long are you going to hold grudge against him?”

“I can’t unnie…I just can’t…it hurts so much.”

“Seungwan, I know you are a strong person.” Wendy’s older sister said before she vanished into the thin air.

“Unnie!!” Wendy screamed.

 

“WENDY-AH!!” Irene’s voice wakes Wendy up from her nightmare. She opened her eyes and saw Irene crying by her side. She sits up and Irene immediately hug her tightly.

Irene cupped Wendy’s face “Please don’t scare me like that.” She cried. Wendy hugged Irene back, she felt guilty that she made Irene worries about her. They stay in that position for a moment until both of them had calm down Wendy lean back and she look into Irene’s eyes. Wendy’s eyes trailed down to Irene’s lips, her heart beat fast. She slowly leaned in until their lips were inches apart.

“Can I kiss you?” Wendy whispered softly. She didn’t know what had gotten into her but Irene’s lips look so inviting, she wanted to kiss it so badly.

Irene nodded and she closes her eyes, Wendy close their gaps but then they were disturbed by a sudden knock on the door. Irene and Wendy jumped in surprised. They distance themselves from each other, awkwardly look at each other and then they saw Ryujin poking her head to check on them.

“Are you okay? I heard someone screaming just now.” Ryujin asked.

“Wendy was having a bad dream.” Irene explained.

“Oh, sorry to disturb. If you need something just intercom me with that phone by the bed side.” Ryujin pointed at the phone.

Irene nodded, Ryujin bid them good night and closes the door. Irene get up from the bed and went to lock the door “What a bummer!” she thought. Wendy was about to kiss her and some high school kid interrupted them. Irene sighed and she went to bed again, she sits next to the sitting Wendy. They exchange looks and both laugh awkwardly.

“Let’s just forget about what just happen.” Wendy tried to brush off the awkwardness.

“So you don’t want to kiss me?” Irene asked while pouting.

Wendy was dumbfounded for a moment. She blushed and she tried to look away “I wanted to…but…”

“Then kiss me.” Irene boldly said to Wendy.

Wendy looks at Irene’s eyes and she look away immediately because she got too shy “I can’t Irene, I’m sorry…maybe it was the heat of the moment that made me wanted to kiss you. I’m not sure about my feelings to you, and I don’t want to hurt you, so let’s forget about it. Good night.” Wendy smiled before she went back to lay down.

Irene was disappointed but she understands Wendy’s situation, so she decided to not push her doing things that she didn’t want to. They lay in bed silently, Irene was looking at the ceiling, she tried to sleep but her heart prevents her from falling asleep. She turned to Wendy, and she saw that the girl was having difficulty to fall asleep too.

“Can you tell me what was your dream about?” Irene suddenly asked.

Wendy turned to Irene, she stares at her blankly before she turned back to look at the ceiling “I dreamt about my sister…” she said softly.

“You miss her?”

“I miss her, but I can’t see her anymore…” Wendy turned to Irene and smiles sadly.

“Why? What happened? I’m sorry if I’m being busybody but…it’s okay if you don’t want to tell me.”

Wendy was silence for a while, she took a deep breath and turned her whole body to face Irene “I’ll tell you…will you listen? Except Henry, no one knows about my past.”

“If you’re willing to tell me then I will listen…” now Irene also had turned to face Wendy. She rested her head on her arm, facing Wendy.

“I came to Korea when I was 16…” Wendy started her story.

“Oh before this you were?”

“I was born and raised in Toronto, Canada…”

“Ah…that’s explain your perfect English…” Irene had always been curious with Wendy’s perfect English but she didn’t bother to ask. She just thought that Wendy was an A student, since Wendy did graduate from Seoul International School.

“When I was 14, my mom fell sick, she was diagnosed with heart disease…my dad was a busy man, he never has time for us and my parents they are not in good terms, so I had to take turn with my older sister to take care of our mother. Money wasn’t a problem for us, Mom was a successful writer, my dad, well…I don’t want to talk about him.” Wendy paused a while to clear the lump in and she continues again “My mom was getting weaker day by day, her last wish before she dies, she wanted to be together with her family for one last time. I wanted to grant her wish, but my sister, Seunghee-unnie she tried to stop me every time I wanted to go and meet my dad. She told me, it’s better if we just call him, but my dad never answers his call. My dad had move out from our house when he had a fight with my mom, but mom never wanted to tell me why dad moved out. I tried to go to his house but he told me to go home.” Wendy voice starts to crack.

“You can stop if you wanted to…”

“No, I must continue, if not this guilt will slowly kill me inside…”

Irene nodded and she listen to Wendy continues her story “Then one day, I saw my dad, happily walking with other woman, they seem happy, I didn’t what gotten into me that time, I went to confront him. He was surprised to see me.”

 

Flashback

“Dad!” Wendy called for the middle age man.

“Wendy, what…what are you doing here? Shouldn’t you be at school?!” he scolded Wendy.

“Daddy, who is she?” a girl who seems like she was about Wendy’s age appeared from behind. She linked her arm with Wendy’s dad.

Wendy was baffled when she heard what the girl call her dad. She looked straight into her dad’s eyes “Daddy? Did she just call you daddy?”

“Honey is this the daughter that you told us about?” an older woman asked her dad.

“What is all this dad?” Wendy frowned.

“Wendy dear, I can explain…” Wendy’s dad tried to calm his daughter.

“Have you been cheating behind mom’s back?!!” Wendy burst.

Wendy’s dad gave Wendy a slap, Wendy yelped in pain when she felt the sting on her cheek.

“Don’t make a scene at this place Wendy, I will explain to you when we get home!”

“So that’s why you left home huh? Your wife is sick and she is dying! Her last wish is to see all of us together with her for her last moment and you’re here happily spending your time with your mistress and illegitimate child?!!”

“WENDY!!” Wendy received another slap from her father. Wendy couldn’t believe that her father would slap her twice, someone who she looks up to.

“Wendy I’m sorry but…please baby, we will talk about this when at home….Wendy?! Wendy!!”

Wendy ran away with tears in her eyes, she couldn’t believe her father will cheat on her mother and he defended his mistress.

“Honey, don’t you want to chase after her?”

“No…she will be fine. Let’s get you two home first. I will talk to her later.” Wendy’s dad looked at the direction that Wendy had disappeared, he sighed deeply. He didn’t mean to slap Wendy so hard but she was taunting his lover and his other daughter.

“Daddy…is she my sister that you told me about?” Naeun asked innocently.

“Yes Naeun, she is your younger sister.”

 

Hospital

Seunghee was reading some of her files when Wendy came in with red cheek and tears in her eyes. Seunghee put down her files and went to Wendy, she pulled Wendy into a hug. She patted Wendy’s head, asking her little sister what had happened, why is she in such a state.

“Unnie…you knew right?” Wendy sobbed “You knew about dad’s mistress, that’s why you never wanted me to go and find him right?”

Seunghee kept her silence, she let go of her arms around Wendy, she holds Wendy by the shoulder and look into her sister’s eyes “Yes.”

It was a simple answer from Seunghee, but it made Wendy even more furious. She pushed her sister away. Their mom saw how Wendy pushed her sister away, she tried to get up from her bed but Seunghee stopped her.

“Mom, you need to rest, don’t get up I will take care of Wendy.”

“You knew too right mom?” Wendy’s voice cracked.

Their mom was too weak to reply Wendy, so she just slightly nodded, tears are slowly falling down from her cheek when she saw how devastated her daughter look like after learning the truth about her father’s affair.

“You all knew but none care to tell me?!” Wendy raised her voice.

“WENDY SON SEUNGWAN!” Seunghee raised her voice too when her little sister getting a little rude toward their mom.

“Fine…fine…” Wendy slowly take a step backward “I guess I was the only family member that didn’t know anything…everyone else know but I don’t…am I not part of Son’s family?” Wendy cried.

“Wendy…” Seunghee sighed, she tried to reach out for her little sister but Wendy whacked her sister’s hand and she ran away.

Seunghee turned to her mother, her mother nodded, giving her the permission for her to go after her little sister. Seunghee ran out to the hallway, but there was no sight of her little sister anywhere. She took out her phone and called for someone.

“Code red.” She said to the person in the phone when they picked up her call.

Seunghee ran out from the Hospital, she couldn’t find her little sister too. She took out her car key and drive along the street, hoping that she can locate her sister. She found Wendy by the bus stop near the hospital sobbing. Seunghee stopped her car and she exited, she went to Wendy.

“Seungwan.” She called.

Wendy saw her sister and she gets up and start to quicken her paces, trying to run away from her sister.

“Seungwan listen! Mom and I didn’t tell you because we know how much you look up to dad. We know how close you were with dad…I didn’t want you to get hurts. Can you just stop running away and face me?!”

Wendy stopped but she didn’t turn, Seunghee caught up to her, but she didn’t force her younger sister to face her.

“Seungwan…. accepting dad’s affair wasn’t easy for me too…it wasn’t easy for mom too. And when we had to hide it from you, it was even harder. We should be more worry about mom instead. Right now Mom need out support the most. She is going through tough time, Seungwan ah. We need to be by her side. So please? Let’s go back to the hospital.” Seunghee suggested, she held out her hand to Wendy, hoping that Wendy will take her hand and she can bring her sister back.

Wendy silently accepting Seunghee’s hand and Seunghee smiled at her little sister. She led Wendy back to her car and she drove back to the hospital.

Once they reach the hospital, Wendy saw her father’s body guard were guarding the hospital. She and her sister immediately rushed to their mom’s room. They barged in and saw that their father was sitting at the end of the bed chatting with their mom.

“Father.” Seunghee greeted coldly. Wendy just remain silence, she didn’t want to talk to her father at the moment. Then she saw the lady and the girl that was with him earlier, her blood boiled but Seunghee held her hand. Seunghee knew her little sister was furious at the moment but she didn’t want to create a scene especially with all of their father body guards around them.

“Seunghee, Seungwan…” he greeted his daughters “I came here to ask your mother sign this letter.” He raised the letter and Wendy saw the letterhead ‘DIVORCE FORM’.

Wendy was ready to lunged at her father but Seunghee tightened her grip on her little sister hand. Wendy shot Seunghee a questionable look but Seunghee did not even respond to her little sister. She only had her focus on their father.

“Understood.” Was all that Seunghee replied and she took out a pen, handed it to their mother. Their mother’s eyes were red. She had been crying. Seunghee gently nodded at her mother, trying to assure her that everything will be okay.

Wendy’s mother hand trembled when she held the pen to put on her initial in the divorce form. Once she signed the paper, Wendy’s father had a satisfied look on his face and it disgusted Wendy. Wendy turned to her father’s mistress and she frowned at her even though she was smiling sweetly to her.

“Happy now huh?! Happy now?!!” Wendy shouted.

“Wendy!” her father raised his voice at her again.

“Your wife is dying and you asked her to sign a divorce letter! How cruel can you be?!! I won’t forgive you!” and once again Wendy ran out from the room.

Seunghee shouted for her sister but she was too late, she looked at her father and then back to her mother, they both nodded at her and she went out to search for her little sister again.

She saw Wendy walking fast down the hallway. She catches up with her and walk abreast with her little sister.

“Can you please listen to me Wendy? Dad got a reason why he is divorcing mom.” Seunghee tried to persuaded her little sister.

“Oh so now you’re on dad’s side?” Wendy scoffed with teary eyes.

“Come with me…” Seunghee dragged Wendy with her. They exited the hospital, their father’s body guards bowed to them when they passed by. Wendy hated her father’s body guards, she never like them ever since she was a little kid. It is very suffocating having them around.

Seunghee asked Wendy to get in the car, Wendy complied without much whine. Seunghee start the car and drove away.

“Where are we going?” Wendy asked.

“To learn about the truth…” Seungee said.

“What truth?”

“On why dad cheated on mom and why he is getting a divorce from her.” Seunghee explained.

“Turn the car back.” Wendy demanded.

“No.” Seunghee firmly said.

“I said turn the car back!” Wendy reached for the steering and pulled on it, causing the car to skid. Seunghee tried to hit the brake but an incoming lorry hit them, head on collision.

“Unnie!!” Wendy screamed for her sister when she saw the headlight coming toward them.

In short amount of time, Seunghee quickly shielded Wendy from the impact. The impact when their car tumbling for a few feet. The car stopped tumbling but it was in upside down position. Wendy screamed in pain, she tried to free herself from the seatbelt. When she finally freed herself turned to help her sister. Seunghee was unconscious. A glass shard had pierced Seunghee on her chest. Wendy was horrified, she tried to scream for help. People began to surround their car, and someone had called the ambulance and police. Wendy kicked the stuck car door open with her leg, but she screamed in pain when she felt a sharp pain on her leg. She tried to endure it and continue to kicked until the door opened. A bystander helped Wendy to carry her sister out. Wendy crawled out and she crawled to her sister. A bystander asking everyone to give space to them until the ambulance come. Wendy saw her sister was mumbling something, she gets up and she went to her sister. She cradled her sister in her arms.

“Unnie I’m sorry…I’m sorry.” She cried.

Seunghee reached for Wendy’s cheek, she brushed away her sister’s tears with her bloody hand.

“Don’t cry…” was Seunghe last word before her whole body when limp.

“No unnie no!! Unnie wake up! Please I will listen to you from now on…Unnie!!” Wendy cried. The sky starts to rain and everyone around them murmuring and mumbling amount them. The ambulance arrived shortly after and the paramedic took Seunghee away from Wendy’s embrace, they checked on her pulse but there was nothing. They tried to perform CPR on Seunghee but to no avail, Seunghee body hard turned cold. Wendy watched the paramedics trying to resurrect her sister as the paramedic put her on the stretcher and pushed her into the ambulance.

One of the paramedic shook his head and he look at his watch. Wendy could read his lips movement ‘Time of death, 4.44pm…’

Wendy tried to get up from the stretcher, she called for her sister but the paramedics had her strap down to minimize her movement. She passed out from all the pain that she’s feeling and from all the crying.

 

Hospital

“Your daughter is just like you…” Seungmi said to her ex-husband.

“Because she is my daughter…” Wayne Son replied his ex-wife with a weak smile.

“Naeun ah…”Hyori called for the young girl who sitting next to her mother.

“Yes aunt Seungmi…”

“When I’m gone, take care of your two older sister for me.”

“I will.” Naeun replied with a positive smile on her face.

“Do you want me to tell Wendy the truth or you want to tell her by yourself?” Wayne asked Seungmi.

“Seunghee will tell her.”

“I felt sorry that Seungwan get to know it from Seunghee…I was a bad father but I love th…” Wayne stopped talking for a while when he saw that Seungmi was having a difficulty to breathe.

“Seungmi?” he called for her, she started to having short breath and her heartbeat suddenly dropped. Wayne asked Naeun to call for the doctor and Naeun went out to call for doctor and nurses.

“Hang in there Seungmi!” Wayned begged.

A doctor came in and he checked on Seungmi and he instructed her nurse to get the operation room ready.

Wayne watched as the doctor and nurse reeled Seungmi out from her room to the operation room. Wayne asked Naeun to bring her mom home first. Naeun and her mom protest at first but Wayne forcefully asked his body guards to take them home.

Wayne was waiting on outside the operation room when two police offer came to him.

“Mr.Wayne Son?”

“Yes…”

Wayne’s body guards stand behind him, trying to protect him from the police, but Wayne told them to back down.

“What can I help you with officers?” Wayne asked again.

“Mr.Wayne, we’re here to tell you that your daughter Son Seunghee was involved in a head on collision with a tanker truck and she had died on the spot.”

Wayne’s world turn dark for a moment when he heard the news, his legs give up on him, he tried to keep his balance, but he couldn’t. His body guard caught him before he fell. He went blank, he didn’t know what to do, what to say, how to react. His eldest daughter had left him forever. He cried and cried, he punches the wall until his knuckles cracked and bleeding.

“Calm down Mr.Wayne!” the officers tried to calm him down. His body guard tried to restraint their bosses from hitting himself.

“No!!” Wayne cried.

****

Wendy woke up and she found herself in the hospital, wearing a hospital gown. Her arm and leg were in cast, she starts to regain her memory “Unnie!” she remembered about her sister, she tried to get up from her bed, but a hand stop her from doing so.

Wendy looked up and saw her father sitting by her bed side.

“You’ve been asleep for a week Wendy-ah…” Henry was there too by her bed side.

Wendy brushed off her father’s hand on her shoulder, it was the first time she ever saw her father being so unkempt. Most of the time he was a clean person, everything had to be neat. Wendy look at Henry and she asked “Where is Seunghee unnie.”

Henry looked away, he couldn’t tell Wendy that her older sister already passed away.

“Why are you not looking at me oppa? Where is Seunghee unnie?”

“Seunghee is dead.” Wayne replied with no emotion on his face.

“No…” Wendy wanted to deny what her father just tell her.

“No!!!” Wendy pushed her cover away and she tried to get up from her bed. Henry went to help her but she pushed Henry away.

“Where are you going?” Wayne asked his daughter.

“I’m going to see mom!” she replied with her cracked voice.

“She’s dead too…” Wayne with a melancholy tone.

Wendy fainted when she heard the news.

“Wendy!!” Henry went to catch Wendy before she falls to the ground.

“Sir!” Henry looked at the emotionless Wayne.

“Doctor!” Wayne called for the doctor.

 

End of flashback

 

“I couldn’t even see their faces for the last time…” Wendy cried “If I didn’t act impulsively, unnie probably be still alive right now…it was all my fault! I’m a murderer!”

Irene shushed Wendy and pulled her into a hug “No you’re not a murderer…life and death is not in our hand Wendy, how can you said that it was your fault that your sister died. I am sorry for your lost but please don’t blame yourself.”

“My dad becomes a heavy drinker after that, we grew apart, and his new family is the only thing that matters to him, he never checks on me, he never even tried to call me, I felt like I was an outcast. I told Henry I wanted to run away from home, and he brought me here. I miss my sister and mother so much Irene-ah…” Wendy sobbed.

It was painful for Irene to watch Wendy being so venerable. She missed the girl’s warm smile and her cheerful self.

“If you miss them, why don’t you go visit them?”

“I can’t…I don’t know how to face them…”

“I’ll go with you okay? We’ll go together…”

Wendy and Irene looked into each other eyes and Wendy felt calm whenever she looks at Irene’s eyes. She buried her face in the crook of Irene’s neck. This is all that she needed at the moment, a warm hug from Irene. She felt a bit relief that she able to open up about her past. She couldn’t tell anyone about it. Until this day she still blames herself for her sister’s death.

She hadn’t visit her mother and sister’s grave even after her broken leg and arm were healed. She couldn’t face them and she decided to run away from facing the truth. When Irene told her that they will go together, it gave Wendy a little hope to be able to stand there by her sister and mother’s grave and apologized to them.

Irene wrapped her arms around Wendy and gently pats her on her back, and she sings her a lullaby. Wendy free her minds and she slowly fall asleep to Irene’s calming voice. This time if she meets her sister in her dream again, she knows what she wanted to tell her sister. She wanted to tell her sister that she finally found her courage, to face the reality and to face her past. And it’s all because Irene was there for her. She wanted to tell her sister everything about Irene. She wanted to tell her sister that she had fall in love with Irene.

 

The Next Morning

“NO WAY!!!” a high pitched scream can be heard from the mansion hallway.

“You’re gonna wake everyone up!” Jisoo smacked Lisa on the head.

“LOOK AT THE NEWS JISOO!! WE ARE WANTED!! REVELUVS ARE HUNTING US DOWN!!” Lisa shouted.

“What’s with all the fuss…” Ryujin asked half asleep.

“Have you seen the news?!” Jennie and Rosé asked in unison.

“Ryujin-ah!” Yuna, her schoolmate who was her housemate also, shoved her phone to Ryujin’s face and Ryujin squinted at the brightness of the phone. She took the phone and slowly read the news.

‘RV SEULGI WAS GAY? A fight occurred last night at the Yoo’s family Charity Ball. Yoo Sungjae little Sister Yoo Jeongyeon was seen proposing to her lover who was the infamous model from JYP entertainment Im Nayeon. Two members of RV also attended the ball, however a fight broke between Seulgi and a guest who seem to be fighting over a girl in a black dress. Is Seulgi gay? Oh, look, at least they blurred out our face.” Ryujin pointed out.

“That’s not the point Ryujin ah! The point is those who were present knew it was us, what if they leaked the info to all those crazy fans?!” Jennie starts to panic.

Ryujin turns to face Jisoo with a meaningful look.

“What?” Jisoo questioned.

“Well weren’t you upset when Seulgi mocked your company last night? Calling it the ‘Doom entertainment’?” Ryujin emphasized on the words ‘Doom entertainment’.

“Yes I was pissed, so?” Jisoo aggressively bite to her toast.

“Then use your doom power to prove to Seulgi how powerful is your company.” Ryujin suggested with a smug on her face.

The adults stop and stare at Ryujin for a second, they just realized that Ryujin is kind of a genius whenever it comes to solving a problem like this. Ryujin proudly sip on her milk because she knows that the adults understand what she was trying to convey.

Jisoo wipes and took out her phone, she made a few phone calls and gives a thumb up to the girls.

 

RV Dorm

“You two are a disaster!” Yeri scolded the two older members of RV. Yeir massage the temple of her head and she turned to face the two gloomy looking humans.

“Kang Seulgi, Irene unnie had made it clear that she doesn’t want you anymore, how can you humiliate her last night?! And you Joy! You knew Irene unnie was going to be there, shouldn’t keep an eyes on Seulgi? And you told me that the person who punched Seulgi unnie was your ex?!! Now our reputation is being jeopardize! Thanks to you Kang Seulgi”

“We will win them back Yeri.” Seulgi replied Yeri coldly.

“Win who back?!” Yeri almost shouted.

“I will win Wendy back and Seulgi will win Irene back.” Joy replied.

“What…why?! Can’t you two just let them be happy?!!”

“She should be happy with me!” Joy expressed angrily.

“You two are insane!” Yeri scolded them and she walked out of the dorm.

Seulgi and Joy exchange glances “We need to get rid of Yeri first.” Joy said coldly to Seulgi.

Seulgi nodded and they both turned their gazes to the door that Yeri just walked out.

 

To be continue….

Oh no…why did Joy changed her mind? And oh, there’s something Ryujin is hiding. Why is she so eager to help them when she just met them? Hmmm, I wonder what is her motive.