Sequel: Chapter 5: Love Hurts

When The Flower Blooms

Irene reached her apartment, she locked the doors and directly goes to her room. She burrows herself in her bed and scream into her pillow. She couldn’t believe that she kissed Wendy. She touches her face and it was hot. She was disgusted by herself for acting like a teenager that just had her first kiss. She reaches for her phone and dialled Seulgi’s number.

“Hello unnie?”

“Seulgi-ah! I kissed Wendy!” 

“You what?”

“I kiss her…” said Irene in much slower pace.

“Oh wow unnie! Great move! So did you tell her about your feeling?” 

“No Seulgi...I can’t. I can’t tell her yet… what if she rejects me?”

“Unnie… you told me to be more honest with my feelings, so you should do the same too.”

“...” Irene was silence and then she said “Did you tell Joy how you feel yet?”

“No...unnie yah...it seems like Joy is going to get married to Sungjae soon.”

Irene can hear the tremble in Seulgi’s voice “What do you mean?”

“I just heard Joy called Sungjae and they are going to meet to discuss about their wedding.” said Seulgi.

“We need to find a way to stop it then.”

“I don’t want to be Joy’s obstacle to achieve her happiness…”

“The important question here Kang Seulgi is she truly happy with her engagement to Sungjae...you should ask her that. Then whatever answer that she gives you, you decide for yourself if she is happy or not.” 

 

Wendy’s Apartment

Wendy reached her apartment and she throws herself to the coach, she throws the keys to the coffee table and throws her head back to relax.

“So how did it goes?” Ryujin asked coming out of the kitchen with a glass of milk.

“Ryujin it’s 11.30pm now, you should have gone to bed.” said Wendy without even looking at her daughter. 

“I can’t sleep.” said Ryujin and she joins her mom on the coach. “Unnie...you like her didn’t you?” Ryujin asked with a smirk.

“She kissed me earlier.” said Wendy.

Ryujin spits on her water when she heard Wendy’s confession “What?!!”

“She kissed me first...and then she said something about that in her dream, we’re not actually best friends…”

“Unnie...you sure she’s not just stalker?” said Ryujin.

“No, I don’t think she’s a stalker, she had been in a coma for a year, and you should have seen the way your sister acting around her, Iris likes her…”

“That’s why I’m worried…”

Wendy turns to Ryujin with a smile, and she said “Don’t worry Ryujin, I’ve already asked some of my men to do investigation on her…”

“Oh ya, I forgot that you’re a Mafia’s daughter.” said Ryujin with a nod.

“And you’re a Yakuza’s granddaughter.”

“We are deadly no?”

“We are…now go to sleep missy, you have school tomorrow.”

 

JYP High

“Ryuddaeng~ good morning!” Yeji greeted her best friend with a big grin on her face.

“You look happy today.” Said Ryujin with tired tone.

“Yesterday I asked Lia to go out on a date with me and she agreed.” Squealed Yeji happily. Ryujin’s happy first turn sour upon hearing the news.

Ryujin tried to force a smile on her face and said “Oh wow, congratulations Yeddong…you finally got the girl!”

“Yeah. I can’t wait for the date tomorrow! Hey do you think I can borrow some of your clothes? I mean, mine are fine but yours are more stylish than mine…and I’m on a tight budget this month, so I can’t go buy new clothes…” Yeji begged with her hand clasped together.

“Yeah sure…come by at my house later, you can choose whichever clothes you want.” Said Ryujin with a fake smile on her face.

“Morning Ryujin, Yeji…” Lia greeted both of the girl, Ryujin looks at Lia with sadness in her eyes. Lia noticed it but she ignored the look in Ryujin’s eyes. “The class is starting Yeji, let’s go.” Said Lia as she links her arm with Yeji. The two senior wave goodbye at Ryujin and walk to their class.

Ryujin is angry, she wanted to punch the wall so bad but she tried to restrain herself.

“Ooh…I can smell jealousy fire in you~~” said someone from behind.

“Please don’t piss me off so early in the morning Chearyoung.” Said Ryujin while gritted her teeth.

“Chill Ryuddaeng~ you really need to step up your game you know.” Said Chearyoung with the calmest voice ever “It’s a race now, whoever that able to win Lia’s heart first is the winner. Yeji got on the first base, while you’re still in the dungeon.”

“Yeji is my best friend Ryoung ah, how can I break her heart by stealing the girl that she likes?”

“If she’s your best friend why didn’t she noticed that her best friend like the same girl too? Now is not the time to think about your friendship with Yeji, it’s more about your feelings for Lia. And, it’s not about stealing the girl that your bff likes, its Lia decision to be with who she wants and not yours or Yeji’s decision.” Said Chaeryoung, then she pats Ryujin on the shoulder and walk to their classroom.

Ryujin stands at the hallway for a moment, while she stares at the empty hallway where her two seniors had walked away. Ryujin sighs and she enters her class, she wanted to skip the class and go to her favorite spot to day dreaming but she promised Lia that she will not skip any classes anymore, even though she is a top student. Ryujin rested her head on her arms and stared at the blue sky outside.

 

Zimzalabim Café

Wendy was waiting for Irene to stop by at her café today, but it’s almost noon but there is no sign of Irene. She got worried because usually Irene will be there from 10am. She was afraid that Irene refused to see her again after the sudden kiss last night. She scolded herself for never tried to ask for Irene’s number before.

The café isn’t so crowded today, business is pretty normal. Wendy was daydreaming when a group of girls walk into her café, her face lights up when she saw the girls.

“Jennie! Rosé! Lisa! Jisoo!!” 

“Unnie!” they all greeted her.

“So how was your trip to Thailand?”

“It was good, but oh my God the mosquitoes were no joke!” Rosé complained.

“Sit down and I will serve you.” said Wendy.

“Unnie I will have the usual.” Said Jennie.

“I’ll have what she's having.” Said Lisa.

Wendy noticed that the duo had a couple ring on so she smirked and tease them “So I guess the trip didn’t just strengthen your friendship but something else too, huh?”

Both Lisa and Jennie blushed and Wendy smiles “So who confessed first?”

“It was me, because Lisa is hopeless.” Said Jennie with a sigh.

Wendy then turn to the other couple who is busy feeding each other “Then what about the two of you? Official or no?”

“Who us? We are more than friends but less than lovers, I mean I love Chaeng, but I don’t want to rush things with her. So we’ve decided to take things slow, besides we’re still young~” said Jisoo.

Wendy only smiles at the YG entertainment heiress, she leaves them and go behind the counter to make their drinks. As she was busy making the drinks, Henry comes in with Sunny, he greets Wendy and asked if Wendy is free to talk with him. Wendy asked her employees to take over her task and she excuses herself to her office with Henry.

“So, what did you find out?” Wendy asked.

“She’s a princess Wendy-ah.”

“A princess?”

“Yes a real princess. The queen’s cousin. She was the one who was supposed to take over the throne when the king passed away, but she was in a coma and the king had no choice but to find another heir, which happened to be the ex-crown prince’s daughter. Well actually she’s the right heir to the throne since her father is the crown prince, but he abdicate his place as the crown prince and married a teacher and moved to Japan before he was killed in the big tsunami.”

“No way, seriously she’s a princess?!”

Henry takes out an A4 size envelope and hand it over to Wendy “All the details that you want is inside.”

“Thank you. I’ll read it when I’m free.”

Henry bows and excuses himself to join his wife and friends outside. Wendy put the envelope in her bag and rejoins the other girls.

“Hey Wendy unnie do you want to join us for dinner tonight?” Rosé invited the older girl.

“I can’t…you know I gotta feed Iris and Ryujin…”

“Awww, you can hire a nanny while you were out. Look I’ve got a friend that can help you to take care of Iris and Ryujin.” Said Jennie.

“I know but the problem is Iris hates stranger.”

“Well Ryujin will be around her right?”

“Yes but…”

“Come on unnie…it’s been awhile since we had any girls’ night out, since you’ve gotten pregnant to Iris birth and now Iris is 3 years old…” Lisa pleads with Wendy.

Wendy sighs and she nods to agree with them, she wanted to ask Henry to babysit Iris, because Henry and Sunny is like Iris second parents after Wendy, but too bad Henry and Sunny had to go to Sunny’s parents’ house so they themselves are still finding a willing nanny to take care of their baby.

“I can call them over if you want them to take care of baby Iris.”

“Sure…”

Rosé made a phone call and a few minutes later two eccentric girls enters the café. Wendy looks at them and she’s judging them hard.

“Sup’ we’re Wheesa.” Said one of the tanner girls.

“These are the girls that are going to babysit my babies?” Wendy questioned JenChuLiChaeng.

“Yup…”

“We might be a delinquent but we’re good delinquent~” said both of them.

Wendy mentally facepalm herself and then she turned to the 4 girls “I think it’s better if I don’t go.” Said Wendy.

“Unnie~ please…”

Wendy looks at Wheesa again and she reluctantly agreed to go to the dinner but Wendy told them it’ll be for an hour because she doesn’t want to leave Iris too long.

 

SM Entertainment

“I can’t do this!” Seulgi got scared and tried to flee the scene but Yeri and Irene caught her first.

“No! You can’t! You have to go in and tell her how you feel toward her!” said Yeri “I am tired of being a mediator for you and Joy unnie, so you have to tell her how you feel unnie!”

“Yeah Seul, if you are feeling guilty for causing me to almost kill myself last time, then go confess your feeling to her as a way you redeem yourself from your guilt!” said Irene.

“What if she doesn’t like me the way I like her?!”

“Unnie, I’ve seen the way you two flirt with each other and for sakes I see you both in the dorm everyday and I see how she acts around you, if that’s isn’t love then I don’t know what is.”

“Yerimie, language!!” Irene scolded her cousin for saying the word s, Yeri sheepishly apologize to her cousin.

“Look Seulgi, if she rejects you then you try to move on, it is better to be rejected than to regret it later.” said Irene and she pushes Seulgi into the practice room to meet with Joy. Joy was sitting at the corner with her airpods on, her head nod back and forth to the rhythm of the songs that she listened to. Seulgi look back and tried to run away but she sees that Irene and Yeri had locked the door from the outside and the two of them gesture to her to go near to Joy. 

Seulgi gulps down her nervousness and approaches Joy. Joy who saw Seulgi’s reflection on the mirror tilt her head up to look at Seulgi. She smiles at the monolid eyes girl and Seulgi couldn’t be more in love with Joy at the moment.

“Hi.” Joy greeted with a grin and her eyes were missing because of her grin.

“Hi...ugh...can I join you?” Seulgi asked as she pointed at the empty space next to Joy.

“Yeah, you can...you don’t have to ask for permission.” said Joy.

Seulgi hurriedly seated herself next to Joy, she looks into Joy’s eyes and then diverted her gaze because she got shy “Ugh...Sooyoung-ah.”

“What?” Joy takes off one of her airpod to listen to Seulgi.

“Are you...ermmm serious about Sungjae?”

“Hmmm...not really.”

“Really?! I mean really?”

“Sungjae is like my rebound guy… I’m only using him as a replacement to forget about Wendy.” said Joy melanchlolically. 

“You… still love Wendy?”

“I’ve always had and always will be.” said Joy.

Seulgi was sad when she heard that, she tried to not show it on her face “I see…” she said.

“Then Seulgi unnie, do you still love Irene unnie?” Joy asked.

Seulgi looks into Joy’s eyes for a moment and there is something in Joy’s eyes that Seulgi is not familiar with, it’s like a hope and desires “No… I’ve lost my feelings long ago.”

“Then why did you proposed to her?”

“Because I thought I could move on and fall in love with Irene again… but I was wrong. If I married her, it’s like I’m lying to her and I don’t want Irene unnie to get hurt, that’s why I ran away that day… I don’t know how to tell her that… I know I’m a coward, I can be honest with myself about my own feelings, and I can’t be honest to the person that I love about how I feel.”

“Is it Sunmi unnie? The one that you love?” asked Joy.

“What?! No!! I know that Sunmi unnie and I were close but for heaven's sake no Sooyoung ah! I don’t like her that way… beside she already in a relationship with Chungha!”

“Ah…well yeah… so who is this person that you love?”

Seulgi stops for a moment and she stares into the empty void and then to Joy again “It’s you Sooyoung-ah....I’ve fallen for you on the first day we met. I didn’t know it was love then until you got into we got married with Sungjae…”

“You… love me?”

“Yes… Park Sooyoung...the person that I’m in love with is you...not Irene not Sunmi but you.”

Seulgi was waiting for Joy to react, she closes her eyes tightly because she’s afraid of what Joy’s answer is but then she felt a soft pair of lips planted on hers. She opens her eyes wide and saw Joy’s face were so close to hers.

Yeri and Irene squeal in victory when they saw Joy and Seulgi locked lips. However their happiness were short when they saw that Joy came out with tears in her eyes. Joy stops to stare at Irene and Yeri, she smiles at them and then she runs away to the corridor. Irene looks back at Seulgi who looks devastated, she rushes to Seulgi’s side and kneel beside her.

“Seulgi, what happened? I thought you guys…”

“She said she can’t betray Sungjae, unnie…”

Flashback

Joy broke the kiss and she stares into Seulgi’s eyes she smiles but then her smiles turn to a sad face and then she starts tearing up.

“I’m sorry Seulgi, as much as I want to be honest with my feelings, but I can’t betray Sungjae oppa...thank you for loving me.”

End of flashback

Irene disbelieve in what she heard. Seulgi cries and Irene pulls her in. Yeri stood by the hallway trying to register what just happened.

 

Wendy Apartment

“Listen, make sure Iris eat her dinner before 8pm, then give her a bath at 9 before going to her bed at 10…” said Wendy as she gets ready to go out for her lady’s night.

“Roger that!!” said the two young girls.

“Ryujin-ah….” Wendy calls for her daughter but she seems to be hiding in her room since she came back from school.

Wendy put down her jacket and goes to check on her daughter, she gently knocks on Ryujin’s door but no answer so she goes and open the door to check on Ryujin. She saw that Ryujin covers herself from head to toe with her blanket. “Ryujinie? Are you okay?”

Seeing that Ryujin didn’t answer, Wendy tries to pull the blanket and wanted to scold the girl but when she pulled the blanket, she saw that Ryujin is trembling and she sweats until the bed sheet is wet. Wendy touches Ryujin’s head and it was super hot “Ryujin! Are you okay?”

Ryujin didn’t reply, she’s hugs herself and curl into a fetus position. Wendy got worried so she called the girls and told them that she need to rain check on the ladies’ night. She tries to carry Ryujin on her back. Ryujin is a little too heavy for her but she has to get Ryujin to the hospital quick.

“Hwasa! Wheein! I’m taking Ryujin to the hospital, please take care of Iris for me…”

Iris saw her mom carrying her sister and she starts to cry “Mama!!” she cried.

Wendy squats down to meet with Iris in eye level, with Ryujin on her back “Hey, hey Iris, Mama will only be out for awhile okay? You see Jinjin unnie is sick, Mama need to bring Jinjin unnie to go see the doctor okay?” Wendy tried to persuade the toddler.

Iris looks at her sister whom seems to be in pain on her mother’s back, she nodded sadly and pouted. Wendy smiles and kisses her forehead, she struggles to get up but she managed to. She told Wheein and Hwasa to lock the door once she got out. Ryujin starts to mumble nonsense and Wendy got worrier, she couldn’t wait for the lift so she runs down the stairs and lucky for her that they lived on the third floor. 

Wendy gently put Ryujin down on the passenger seat, and she noticed that Ryujin’s body gotten hotter. She starts her car and asked Ryujin to hold on until they reach the hospital. Wendy floors the accelerator and rushes to the hospital “Hang in there Ryujin-ah…” said Wendy in tears. It was the first time that she sees Ryujin falls sick.

 

Irene’s Apartment (10pm)

Irene just reach home after she stayed around SM entertainment withSeulgi and Yeri to calm the girl down. She was about to open the door to her apartment when a tanned girl with long hair and exotic look greeted her.

“Yes, can I help you?”

“Do you know the lady that lives next door to you?” she asked as she pointed at Wendy’s apartment.

“Yeah… I know her, why?”

“Then do you know her daughter?”

“Who are you?” asked Irene with suspicions.

“Chill lady, Wendy hired us to babysit Iris but the baby didn’t want to listen to us, and we’re out of ideas on how to make she listens to us. Do you think you can help us?”

“Where’s Wendy?” 

“Apparently, her older daughter got sick and it seems like pretty serious so Wendy rushes her to the hospital.” said Hwasa.

“Ryujin is sick?” Irene didn’t think twice and she barges into Wendy’s apartment to check on Iris. She found Wheein laying on the floor with Iris crying on top of her. Wheein’s hair is messy and she looks fatigue. Irene picks Iris up and Iris stops crying “Mommy…” Iris mumbles in between her tears.

“Iris, are you okay?”

“She’s fine, it’s us that are suffering.” Hwasa told Irene and Irene looks around indeed, the whole house is a mess and there’s food everywhere, even the ceiling. 

Irene sighs and she looks at the devastated state of Hwasa and Wheein and she said “You two are dismissed.”

“No no! Not until Wendy unnie paid us! We suffered enough with Iris!” said Wheein while whining.

Irene takes out her purse and gave the duo 100 dollar each “Take this, I can take care of Iris from now on until Wendy get back.”

“Oh wow! Thanks!” the duo said. hThey took the money and immediately leave the house, they make sure they lock the door before they leave. 

Irene checks on Iris and saw that there are no harms “Iris-ah, you shouldn’t treat people like that. Poor them, they are so scared of you.” said Irene to Iris.

“Iwene, will Jinjin unnie be owkay?” Iris asked.

“She will Iris...your unnie is strong. She will be okay.”

Iris rested her head on Irene’s shoulder and start to mumble something that Irene don’t understand. Irene sway back and forth and she starts to hum a lullaby to calm the baby down and she gently pats Iris back. She can feel that Iris’s breath is getting heavier and she knows that Iris is asleep. She slowly walked to Iris room, and she’s smiles when she sees the whole room is painted in pink color. She slowly put Iris down on her bed and cover her with a blanket. She kisses Iris on her temple. She left the room but she let the door open because she wanted to be able to check on Iris anytime. Irene looks around the living room and she sighed at the mess. She pulls up her sleeves and tie up her hair and start to tidy up the living room. 

 

Hospital

“She has high fever, we need to keep her admitted, until her fever goes down.” said the doctor.

Wendy nods and she bows when the doctor leave the room. She holds Ryujin’s hand, Ryujin had been unconscious the doctor gave her a shot. Her temperature almost reach 40 celsius and Wendy almost had a panic attack. She wanted to stay behind but remembering that she left Iris with two immature kids, she was in a dilemma. She tries to give Wheein a call to check on them and when Wheein told them that they had already left because Irene offered to help. Wendy sighs in relief when she knows Iris is in a good hand so she decided to stay at the hospital until Ryujin gets stable. She made a call to her apartment hoping that Irene will answer.

“Hello?”

“Hi, ummm Irene?”

“Yes, Irene is speaking…”

“Hi, it’s Wendy… I received the news from Wheesa, they said you wanted to help taking care of Iris.”

“Oh hi Wendy! Don’t worry about Iris, she is asleep now.”

“Oh that’s great. Umm, can you stay there until morning? I’ll pay you for helping me out. I need to stay by Ryujin side until she gets better.”

“How is she?”

“She got high fever, and I don’t know how she got it, but it’s not life threatening, the doctor said she needs to be admitted to monitor her body’s temperature. I’m sorry that I have to ask for your help. But please stay with Iris until I get back.” Wendy pleaded.

“No worry Wendy...take you time. Ryujin’s health is far more important…”

“Thanks Irene, you’re a lifesaver. Bye.”

Wendy glads that Irene didn’t sound awkward in the phone call, but she hopes that Irene can be trusted. Leaving her baby to a stranger is a risk, but she knows Irene is fond of Iris, so she won’t do anything to her. She remembered the file that Henry passed to her earlier. She goes to her car to retrieve the files. She seated herself to the vacant couch near RyuJin's bed and she takes out the files from the envelope and see the title.

‘BAE JOOHYUN, CLASSIFIED’