...Help You

Can We?
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

She plays with her pencil between her two fingers, while she rests her face with the other hand. It’s been an hour since Eunkwang and Seulgi had headed into the library after the lecture, where she was forced to go on a tutoring “date” with him. She knows that she needs help with this specific topic, but she can’t seem to focus. She feels dazed and confused, and every single time he explains half-equations and electrical currents, she blanks out forgetting everything he had taught her since the start of this so-called “date”.

“…So when electricity passes through a copper wire it produces a current, creating half-equations…Seulgi are you listening?”

“Hmmm? Oh yeah of course!”

“So…what did I just say?”

“Electricity…”

“And?”

“………” Seulgi sighs.

“Seulgi please listen…I’m trying to help you.”

“I know, I know. I’m sorry Eunkwang, its just…its just I really hate this topic and I can’t absorb anything even if I tried…”

“But you’re the smartest girl in our degree! I’m pretty sure you’ll get it soon!” Eunkwang says giving a wide grin and leaning closely to Seulgi’s face.

Seulgi slightly inches backwards, feeling the discomfort from his advancement and gawkiness. She can’t believe she agreed to get tutored by him, or more likely, forced to get tutored by him and she blames her two best friends for putting her in this position.

Arrgghhh why did I agree to this?

“…Oh thanks…”

“No worries! Shall we continue?”

“Ummm maybe we should eat? Let's grab some lunch before getting back into it I’m pretty hungry…”

Seulgi was indeed hungry, but more importantly she wanted to get out of such situation. Eunkwang is a nice guy and all, but it just wasn’t helping. She couldn’t fathom the thought of dating him like her friends are predicting, as well as the subsequent thought of what Irene may have felt when she left with him…Would she be hurt? Or would she not care?

Eunkwang responds back to her, startling her back to reality.

“Yes! I agree I’m hungry too!”

Man this kid has too much enthusiasm…

They both leave the library and head to the café. Along the way, he tries to make conversation with her. Asking her what her favourite topic in chemistry is? Does she have any siblings? How long has she known Joy and Yeri for? Does she have a pet? And his ultimate declaration of having a crush on her since first year. She gives him one worded answers to all of his questions, not wanting to strike any further conversation with him and trying to drown out his voice. Suddenly, she stops in her tracks and looks at him.

“Okay Eunkwang…look…I get you’re a really nice guy and a smart one too, but could you tone down the questions a bit? I mean you’ve asked so many questions about myself and---”

“Oh you want to know about me?!”

“Nooo…nooo I don’t...What I mean is…maybe if we can walk in silence towards the café please? Its not you, its just I’m getting a headache from all the assignments that are upcoming…”

Seulgi lied. She definitely needed the peace and quiet from him. He kept talking and talking and talking, not realising and being oblivious to the fact she wasn’t interested and all his words were coming out one ear and out the other.

“Oh I’m sorry Seulgi I didn’t know, I’m really so---”

Seulgi held up her hand to stop him from apologising.

“No need to apologise, its fine. Let’s just head to the café okay?”

“Okay!”

They eventually arrive at the café, where the bustling from the crowd of students, professors and other college staff is heard. They line up behind a few people who are also waiting to reach the counter. Coffee machines producing the strong aroma of coffee, the sizzling sound of burgers, bacon and eggs, the crisp smell of fresh vegetables and fruits being cut and the smell of sweetness from the baked goods linger in the café, causing Seulgi to smile and inhale the fragrant goodness of the food. However, the moment is disturbed when Eunkwang asks her a question.

“Sooo…what you getting?”

Does he ever stop talking?

“I don’t know yet, I’ll decide when I get to the counter.”

“Oh okay I’m planning to get---”

“Its okay Eunkwang…you don’t need to tell me…” Seulgi replied gritting her teeth while trying to sound polite.

“Oh…well I can buy you lunch if you like?”

“Don’t worry I can buy my own lunch, thanks…”

“You su---”

“I’m sure! It’s okay Eunkwang…”

Seulgi was getting more and more irritated the more time she spent with this kid. She clearly said she wanted silence, yet he doesn’t seem to get the gist. She was never a person who would get annoyed or angry easily, but it seemed that Eunkwang unconsciously knew how to push all her buttons

…Or maybe, it wasn’t him that made her feel this negativity. Perhaps, her annoyance of not following through with her initial intention of talking to Irene and maybe having lunch with her after the lecture. Yet, that planned failed when her two best friends tried to set her up with a potential boyfriend through this so-called tutoring “date”.

They eventually arrive at the counter and Seulgi orders an iced americano and a club sandwich, where Eunkwang also orders the same thing. She shakes her head in defeat at his gesture, knowing that she couldn’t stop him from his enthusiasm. They wait aside, waiting for their names to be called out when their order is ready. She looks around, observing the sea of people in the crowded café, seeing various individuals conversing and overhearing their conversations of how their past weekend went, or what they have planned for the rest of the week to the latest gossip they supposedly heard. Eventually, her eyes stops at two individuals sitting near the far-right corner of the café, conversing while the woman is smiling.

She squints her eyes slightly, adjusting her vision and recognising the familiarity of the woman...

Irene.

And she was having lunch with another professor named Suho.

Immediately, she felt her stomach drop and could loudly hear her heartbeat in her ears, blocking the loud noise of the café. She felt sad, annoyed and…jealous...

Really jealous.

And her heart slightly ached…

Why are you so affected by this? Why are you getting jealous? It’s not

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter