...Pause

Can We?
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter


 

It’s Monday.

She looks in the mirror, double-checking her tomboyish outfit of a black oversized t-shirt tucked into her with ripped denim jeans, hair down; loosely wavy, and her thin-framed glasses.

Seulgi usually throws on anything she could find in her closet, hoping that it would look decent, which is usually an after-thought. But today was different…

Though her style didn’t necessarily change, she was more attentive today with the way she looked and this was mainly because she was seeing Joohyun, her girlfriend and professor after becoming official.

She couldn’t wait to see her.

Already imagining what she would be wearing as soon as she arrives in the lecture, in her sophisticated attire, showcasing her strong and articulate mannerisms as a professor, a stark difference to the cute, affectionate, alluring and somewhat jealous character she had shown on Saturday. She thought it was y that her girlfriend can switch between two personas and still be captivatingly beautiful. She also made it a priority to not call her Joohyun but Professor Irene…One slip up and both Joy and Yeri would be questioning her immediately, which is another thought that bothers her on how her two best friends would react when they find out about them.

Feeling confident and reminding herself to focus and exercise control, she eventually leaves her house and heads to college.

------------

She happily taps on her steering wheel, waiting for the light to turn green, while feeling jovial and content for obvious reasons.

Joohyun couldn’t wait to see Seulgi again today, but she had to be aware, cautious and mindful of her actions. She wants to kiss her, intertwine her fingers with hers and snuggle in her neck and chest but that all has to wait…She is bothered if she could even get through the lecture mistake-free and not habitually stare at her girlfriend while conducting the class. It’s an anxious thought, but it had to be done. She arrives on campus, grabs her things and sets out of her car, but before proceeding to class she stares at her reflection on her car’s tinted-windows, making sure she didn’t have any crumbs on her face and her attire was perfectly-suited to her body. It’s an uncanny act for her to do such a thing, rarely taking notice of how she looked as she believes beauty only remains on the surface. But Seulgi made her do such a trivial thing…all because she wanted to look good for her.

She eventually walks towards the building and enters the lecture hall, saying good morning to her students and receiving the usual stares and gasps she hears from her students, especially the male students who have fanatical grins on their faces. However, she notices Seulgi has not arrived yet upon looking at her usual seat between Joy and Yeri was empty. Technically there was still 10 minutes before the lecture started, but she was tempted to text her as the anxiety of wanting to see her girlfriend started to become somewhat intolerable.

As if the heavens had heard her, the person she wanted to see the most had just come through the door. Sporting her signature tomboyish fashion, with her locks down and wavy and her glasses, something Joohyun had never seen before…

But damn…Seulgi looked charming and easy-on-the-eye.

And Joohyun…as expected, was radiating and captivating.

Seulgi immediately connects her eyes with girlfriend who stuns with class and elegance behind the lecture stand, locking a gaze that said a thousand words.

“Good morning professor Irene…”

“Good morning Seulgi…” Joohyun replies back with a slight smirk and a nod.

Not wanting to stand there any longer in case her innate desire to kiss her girlfriend then and there took over, Seulgi hurriedly yet casually walks to her seat between her two best friends. Where Joy eyes her up down, somewhat judging her look.

“Wow Seulgi you look…different…”

Did she look different?

Her fashion hadn’t changed and her hair was down, but nothing more or less had significantly changed….

“It’s still me guys, nothing has changed.”

Joy squints her eyes while her face rests on her hand, observing her and trying to particularly notice anything significantly different.

“Your hair is down which is something different, but you’re radiating…like there is a glow…”

“I have no idea what you’re talking about…”

“I think it maybe “that” person Joy, you know the one she likes…” Yeri joins in.

“Oh that’s right, but still…I’m even more curious to find out who it is. Who is this person that makes our Seulgi radiate and look somewhat alluring. It’s unusual and I’m used to seeing geek-looking Seulgi…”

Seulgi stares at Joy expressionless, but is internally perplexed at her best friend’s observation. It surprises her how Joy seems to have a sixth sense, as if she knew that she had taken extra care of how she looked today all because of her girlfriend.

“Whatever guys, Joo…I mean professor Irene is about to start…”

Oh crap…

Joy eyes her bemused at the slip-up, but lets it go…for now.

 

The lecture eventually starts with Joohyun starting a new topic on the catalytic components of chemistry. ‘Interaction’ and ‘catalyse’ are words synonymous with such topic but felt the irony of such words as hidden expressions for the new couple. There was definite interaction between the two that catalysed an attraction that brought them together Seulgi thought, associating such words in a nerdy sense that she felt her girlfriend would be amused about as well. Yet, it was distracting watching Joohyun conduct the lecture like she always does with poise and grace. Every single time she watches her slowly pace back and forth, explaining the topic with visual clarity through her hand gestures and that feminine, soothing yet confident tone in her voice made it hard for Seulgi to focus. She honed in on her voice, seeing and hearing the ways she said such words with perfect articulation and bringing her back to when she had kissed that mouth of hers.

The heat.

The passion.

The intensity.

 

That was exerted when her lips connected with hers.

 

She bites her lip, wanting another taste and her subconscious self, telling her to get up from her seat and resolve such agony.

But it wasn’t going to happen.

Seulgi made a promise to herself to stay glued to her seat during the gruelling 2 hours watching her girlfriend do her job. It was a struggle…yes…but she figured that she could get her resolve tonight.

After pulling up her calendar on her laptop, she receives a notification reminder on her tutoring session with Joohyun tonight, something that was pre-planned far in advance, even before they became official. Further adding to the fire, tonight not only made her excited but hungry and needed.

However, Joy notices the notification appear on Seulgi’s laptop screen, slightly leaning towards her, curious if the person’s name was on the notification:

                 Tutoring Session with Bunny @6pm

 

 

Bunny?…

She tries to figure out who exactly Seulgi had nicknamed ‘bunny’. Unusual sure, but curiosity seeped through her veins with endless amount of theories passing through her head on who would be called such pet name. She looks around the lecture hall spotting anyone who may give a sign that they were the ‘bunny’, but unfortunately none of the current students seem to fit the criteria.

Could it be someone who looks like a bunny?

It’s an odd deduction but seemed feasible, once again scanning the expansive lecture room of familiar faces who resembled the supposed animal.

Her eyes fervently ascend and descend eventually settling for one specific individual.

She slightly gasps out of amazement at her inquiring deduction, a tell-tale sign that she may be close or she had discovered that long-awaited mystery…

She wasn’t sure but she felt it in her gut that who she had come across may be the one she had been looking for…

 

‘Professor Irene?!’

 

No, it couldn’t be.

 

Yes, she definitely did resemble a bunny, but Seulgi possibly being attracted to her? It seemed farfetched…but if it was true…

Seulgi had a lot of explaining to do…

 

 

It’s odd for Joohyun to pace back and forth during the lecture, but it was a choice she made out of desperation. If she stood behind the lecture stand throughout the lesson, no doubt her eyes would be fixated at Seulgi the whole time. She strides across the front of the hall, equally staring at everyone to avoid any suspicion but still found herself looking at her girlfriend with desire and want, fixating her gaze no longer than a few seconds.

Every time she finished a sentence, agony kicked in.

Its like her mind weaved in and out between the past and present, remembering their night at the carnival, the heated embrace on the pier and in her car then re-focussing on the present. It was unusual that her brain could do such thing, but then again it was only Seulgi who had stimulated her mind to exercise itself in such way.

After 2 gruelling hours the lecture finally finishes. Where Seulgi hitches a breath of relief as if she had been holding it for so long. Well technically…she had been.

Yeri nudges her, somewhat surprising her and re-focusing herself on her two best friends.

“Seul, we’re heading out for lunch are you coming?”

“Sorry guys I may have to pass on the offer I have few…errands…I need to take care of?”

Joy eyes her suspiciously knowing full well Seulgi did not have any ‘errands’ to run.

“Errands? You sure Seulgi or is it because you’re seeing “that” person again?”

Seulgi purses her lips together, trying to come up with a better excuse for her ‘errands’ but her inability to lie to her friends was her downfall. Yeri starts to feel apprehensive seeing how quiet she had become, eyeing Joy who shares the same sentim

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter