...Candor

Can We?
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

He sits at his desk, staring at the computer, contemplating and hesitating.

Two weeks ago, he had approached the president of the university for known reasons, whom he had the pleasure of being interviewed by before being accepted as an academic at the university. Suho’s first encounter with the revered and intelligent man was intimidating, yet motivating as after the interview he recalls the president explaining the fundamental core values of teaching and what the meaning of academia was for the teacher and student.

It was enlightening and it definitely ignited a passion within himself to perhaps become head or dean of a department, or simply climb the upper echelons of higher education. He had always been ambitious, specifically in his career and when it came to love.

And it was no different, if anything it was more.

Throughout his college days, his parents would always set him up with bachelorettes that could one day potentially be his wife. But none of them interested him, as it was either they we’re boring or there was no connection between them. However, he wanted to choose a potential spouse on his own terms and out of genuineness of attraction from either party or his. He was ambitious in this ‘field’ and had already formulated what he would perceive as the ideal spouse, ideal marriage and ideal future. He was a planner, an organizer by trade in which he inherited such trait from his mom.

He wanted everything perfect.

And to him, Irene was perfect.

Perfect for him.

Irene made him feel that she was the one for him and it still bothered and annoyed him that he wasn’t being reciprocated.

And, he wasn’t sure what he was planning to do was going to yield the result he wanted either.

I rarely get rejected, but…Irene why?

He thinks hard, or has been for the past hour looking at the email he had ardently and carefully typed containing a message and evidence of what he saw that day.

Irene looked happy with Seulgi…

He wanted to be the one to make Irene happy yet…it was someone else.

The typing cursor indefinitely blinks on the computer screen, while his mouse arrow is hovering over the ‘send’ button. He sighs deeply, massaging his temples still thinking and figuring out what he should do. He reminds himself that he is a man of his word and was someone who followed the rules by the book, and this itself was enough to coerce him to proceed with what he initially planned to do.

He looks at his email signature, taking in the last few words scribed at the bottom in Latin, which are the university’s motto:

Lux et Veritas Floreant

 

He nods in agreement and eventually sends the email.

“Let Light and Truth Flourish…”

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

The steam and aroma fill the atmosphere within the apartment.

Tonight, Seulgi and Joohyun were making dinner together as the most part the weather hasn’t been the kindest, with wind and rainfall gracing the city forcing the two to stay inside and cook, but not that they were complaining.

And for today’s menu; Fettucine Carbonara.

They wanted to have something different, other than Korean feeling adventurous and sharing the same thought of wanting Italian food.

Seulgi rarely knew her way around the kitchen, only that she knew how to boil eggs, cook ramen or even Tteokbokki which she learnt on purpose to cook it for Joohyun as it was her favourite dish. Her mom usually cooked for her so she never really found the need to cook, but with Joohyun being her girlfriend she wanted to show off that she was at least decent in the kitchen, seeing how the professor even in the kitchen setting was just as charming as she was in her lectures.

“Seul, if you want to learn how to cook, at least focus on what I’m doing and not on my face.”

Seulgi feigns ignorance to the statement, teasing her as she watches her from the side.

“I am focused babe what are you talking about?”

Joohyun glances from the chopping board where she had chopped the mushrooms, lifting a brow and smirking before returning her attention to what she was initially doing.

“Have you been taking notes of what I’m doing and the recipe?”

“I have…mentally…I’m keeping track all in my head. Don’t worry babe…”

“Seul, are you sure you remember everything?”

“Positive.”

Seulgi replies back while she salutes in gesture.

Joohyun eventually starts to cook and create the sauce for the carbonara, then adding all the other remaining ingredients letting it simmer for a while, before stirring it occasionally.

Seulgi watches her intently at what she is doing, moving closer towards her where their shoulders are touching and Joohyun not leaving her sight from the sauce. Seulgi decides she wants to take her turn stirring, casually coming behind her and reaching over, gently grabbing Joohyun’s hand in motion causing them to stir it together, while the other hand is wrapped around the latter’s waist.

Joohyun slightly glances to Seulgi, smiling.

“Seul, I think its best we switch positions if you want to take charge.”

“Nope, this position is perfect.”

“What are you more focused on the cooking or me?”

“How about both?”

Joohyun lets out a breathless giggle.

“Okay, Kang Seulgi well you should add salt and pepper. But make sure you only add enough at the start, then taste it. Depending on how it tastes, add more salt or pepper if required, okay?”

“Okay Professor Irene.”

Joohyun turns to her fully, provoked by what she had said. Seulgi couldn’t help it as she enjoyed teasing her, but also with the tone of her voice and the what she had said, it felt like she was back in the lecture hall.

“What babe?”

“Really Seul?”

“Oh, my bad. I thought I was back at college by the way you instructed me to do something…” Seulgi answers as she reaches for the salt and pepper ready to add it into the sauce, when Joohyun elbows her on her abs.

“Owww Professor Irene!”

“Kang Seulgi…stop we’re OFF campus remember…”

“But aren’t you called Professor Irene though?” Seulgi jokes.

“Yes I am…but Professor Irene is too formal and only to be used for on campus, Seulgi.”

“Oh I’m sorry I didn’t really get that…Professor Irene. Can you please repeat that?”

Seulgi wished she hadn’t said that cause the next thing is Joohyun is poking and tickling her, trying to wither herself away from her while she laughs uncontrollably, clutching her sides. They playfully touch each other, poking, prodding and tickling around the kitchen even to the point their running around the kitchen bench where they stake on either side, trying to provoke the other to run around and catch the other.

“Kang Seulgi come here right now…”

“Not unless you come here first…Professor Irene.”

“Kang Seulgi…”

“What Professor?”

“Seulgi…”

“Professor…”

Joohyun looks at her impassively and gives up from this little ‘chase-around’ game they were playing, silently heading towards the stove to continue cooking, while Seulgi on the other hand was confused by the sudden action of her girlfriend, causing her to approach her and ask if she was okay.

Then suddenly, Joohyun whips herself around to face Seulgi pinning her against the fridge door, only for the latter to be startled by the sudden action but the realisation that her girlfriend was acting out of competitiveness.

Gosh, even in the kitchen she’s competitive…

By the menacing, competitive and seductive look on the professor’s face, Seulgi knew all too well that she had found herself stuck.

Stuck…because she would always be caught up in her girlfriend’s gaze, entranced and enchanted by the sight before her. She couldn’t help it that Joohyun was so attractive and easy-on-the-eye that she would always be speechless and defeated whenever she did things like this.

They were staring at each other intently, focussing on different avenues of their face’s before settling their gaze on either of their lips. Joohyun begins to whisper something in a sensual way.

“What happened Kang Seulgi? You have nothing else to say?”

Seulgi gulps trying to overcome the defeat she always found herself in, whenever Joohyun did things like this…flirty, seductive and competitive.

“I just think you’re a little too close…Professor…”

Professor.

There it is again.

Joohyun knew very well Seulgi was teasing her and was trying to push as many of her buttons possible. But she wasn’t going to deny that she enjoyed seeing Seulgi flustered whenever she did things like this. She knew it made her girlfriend feel weak and speechless and it was cute seeing her this way. Her girlfriend all in all was really just…a cute bear.

She didn’t want this game to end, so she leans in just a little closer their lips inches away, remembering the times they were attached and engulfed in the wave of desire and lust whenever they kissed.

“Oh…I’m hoping this isn’t too close, right Seulgi?”

“Oh…this is not too bad I guess…” Seulgi teases, only for Joohyun to have an arousing grin plastered on her face, leaning in closer and only slightly letting their lips lightly graze each other.

“How about now?”

“Oh…I definitely like this better.”

They begin to capture each other’s pink soft edges when they unexpectedly hear a familiar voice enter the apartment and not quick enough for them to fix themselves and hide what they were doing.

“Hey you gu----Oh seriously you two?! If it’s not on the couch, it’s on the fridge now?!”

It was Wendy.

And damn, she always has “good timing”.

Seulgi couldn’t believe her timing, that all she could do was snicker and lean into Joohyun, while partially glancing at Wendy and waving hello.

“Damn Wendy, you sure know how to don’t you?” Joohyun suggests raising an eyebrow.

“And you two like to make use of your surroundings…I can’t believe you guys tainted my fave couch and now…OMG I don’t know if I’ll ever touch that fridge again…”

Just then, two familiar individuals enter the apartment excitedly, only for them to stop in the doorway as well besides Wendy, realising the situation and turning their excitement into surprised and judging expressions.

“Hey you lovebirds we’re he---" Joy announces, with Yeri having agape and speechless for a fat minute before saying something.

“Did you guys forget we were coming?”

Seulgi darts her gaze between her two best friends and Wendy, pursing her lips while Joohyun bites on her bottom lip.

“Hey…you two…nope we didn’t forget of course…”

“Oh, sure you didn’t…”

“Seriously, all three of you have really good timing and ing skills…” Seulgi says.

“And you two are as as dolphins…” Wendy blurts, causing the best friends beside her to laugh hysterically and for the couple to go red faced.

“Okay…dinner is nearly done just get yourselves ready…” Joohyun mentions, ignoring the comment and continuing to cook.

“And…I’ll get the table ready…” Seulgi suggests, hurriedly gathering plates to set out on the dining table.

They didn’t forget…well sort of.

It was a few days ago both Seulgi and Joohyun had invited their best friends to have dinner with them at the apartment as it would be nice to hang out altogether. It would also mark the first time Seulgi’s best friends and Wendy will be meeting each other but alas, the three of them just had to arrive when they were in a slight compromising situation.

However, as Seulgi sets out the plates while handing one to Yeri, she notices Joy and Wendy sitting beside each other conversing, eyeing the two of how these two individuals who never ever met are so comfortable around each other.

She leans into Yeri to whisper.

“Why aren’t you sitting next to Joy?”

Yeri looks up at her with a suggestive look on her face.

“Oh…didn’t you notice? While the two of you were so flustered a moment ‘love at first sight’ happened between the two of them...” Yeri replies in a low voice.

“What? Seriously?!”

“Yeah…Joy immediately sat next to Wendy…”

Yeri and Seulgi intently watch the two.

Bantering, flirting, laughing and gazing at each other.

Those gestures she knew all to well as it resembled herself and Joohyun. And it was this instance there was a realisation that both Wendy and Joy were attracted to each other. She thought it was somewhat funny, that this gathering would act as a ‘blind date’ setting but was bewildered that they seem to hit it off quite quickly.

What are the chances she thought…

Joohyun abruptly comes up besides Seulgi and Yeri, intriguingly asking what was happening.

“What are we looking at?” She whispers, looking at her girlfriend and Yeri then to the two in individuals in front of them confused.

“Don’t you see babe? Joy and Wendy…”

“Yeah…what about them?”

“Just look…”

She does what she is told, creasing her eyebrows in confusion while watching the two converses so naturally upon their first meeting. It made her realise what the situation was, immediately putting two and two together that they were…attracted to each other.

She slightly gasps at the discovery and cheekily glan

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter