...Handkerchief

Can We?
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

A beam of sunlight pierces through the window of a bedroom, striking the occupant on her face forcing her to wake up and squint at its brightness. Kang Seulgi groans at its presence trying to block the beam with her hands.

Is it that time already?

A voice from downstairs echoes throughout the house as she groggily opens her eyes.

"Seulgi wake up! You need to get ready for your first day back at college!" Her mom distantly yells within the house.

"...Yeah...hang on..." She croakily answers.

Seulgi stretches her body awake and sits up with her dishevelled hair all over her face before proceeding to put her glasses on. With one eye open and the other partially, she looks across her room and spots her calendar with the 6th day of January marked with 'D-DAY'. It slowly occurs to her that today is the 6th and is the first day back at college for her final year of her degree in Chemistry. Her eyes widen realising that she might be late if she doesn't get ready anytime soon. She immediately scoots over towards the end of her bed and enters her bathroom to get ready. After sometime, she's confused on what she should wear, whether to go for the boyfriend look or a more feminine look. Feeling frustrated, she starts rummaging through her closet tossing all sorts of clothing pieces behind her hoping to find an outfit.

"This is always my problem...I never know what to wear...stuff it, I'll go casual. Joy and Yeri might call me a fashion terrorist if I try to experiment." She mumbles to herself before throwing on a mustard yellow hoodie and ripped denim jeans, matching with white sneakers and her black backpack to complete the look.

She eventually descends downstairs towards the kitchen, where the delicious smell of pancakes and bacon enters her nose causing her to close her eyes in excitement.

"Mom what's the special occasion? Pancakes and bacon? Must be my birthday!" She teases as she walks to the kitchen benchtop and pulls out the barstool to sit on.

"Hahaha no honey I don't want my baby heading to college on an empty stomach. Besides, I don't get to do this often."

"You're the real MVP. Love you!" Seulgi replies back while stuffing her face with the said breakfast.

"Can you please chew first then speak?"

Seulgi just flashes her eye smile, where her mom responds with a smile while shaking her head.

After a few minutes she finishes her breakfast, says goodbye to her mom and heads out to the café she regularly visits to order her iced americano.

"Seulgi nice seeing you here again! The usual?" says Lucas, the barista whom she has become friends with for the past year.

"Hey Lucas and of course! You know me too well!" She replies as she flashes a friendly smile at him.

"Coming up!"

She finally receives her drink and heads towards the exit of the café, when she notices an elegant woman sitting near the entrance occupied with her laptop. The sunlight's rays illuminates the woman’s figure creating an ethereal aura around her. Seulgi blinks a few times admiring her beauty, until she realises the woman's handkerchief has fallen on the ground. She proceeds to pick it up.

"Hi...sorry to disturb you but you've dropped this."

"Oh thank you! I didn't even realise I had dropped it." The woman replies as she looks up at Seulgi flashing a smile of gratitude

…she's even prettier when she smiles...Wait…What the hell Seulgi? Snap out it! Just leave the damn café and stop staring at her it’s weird…

"No worries anytime!"

Snapping back to reality, Seulgi finally leaves the café and heads towards the usual bus stop she waits at for her bus towards college. She glances at her watch and notices her bus is 15 mins late causing her to groan in frustration. After digging the heel of her shoe into the concrete to pass time, her bus finally arrives packed with office workers and college students causing her to squeeze in its confines like a sardine with constant skinship with random strangers, making her feel uncomfortable and annoyed in the process. Luckily, she has her iced americano with her to calm her down.

On the other hand, the woman at the café closes her laptop and heads towards her car.

"It's okay Irene, don't be nervous...its your first day but don't be nervous you can do this." She whispers to herself.

With her eyes closed, Irene feels nervous, overwhelmed yet excited all at the same time. It's her first day of her new job and she's feeling a roller coaster of emotions. Then suddenly, her phone rings jolting her ey

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter