Chapter 16

Crossing the Line
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Minhyuk-hyung! I need to tell you something important! Are you at the mansion?

 

Changsub waited for a while before Minhyuk replied.

 

Neh, I’m at the mansion. What is it? It sounds urgent.

 

I’ll tell you when we meet. It’s regarding Sooyoung.

 

Changsub nodded to Sungjae and they both flew towards the mansion. As they entered the main hall, Minhyuk and Eunkwang stood before them with concerned expressions.

 

“What’s wrong, Changsub-ah? You sounded so anxious. Is something wrong with Sooyoung?” asked Minhyuk concernedly.

 

“Sooyoung rejected Dohwan!” blurted out Changsub.

 

“Mwoh?!” replied Minhyuk in shock. “How could that have happened? I watched Sungjae fire the arrow. It went through Sooyoung and Dohwan as planned!”

 

“Molla, hyung. But I do know that Park Sooyoung does not seem to have any romantic feelings towards Woo Dohwan,” said Changsub.

 

“Could it just have been Sooyoung playing hard to get? Or was she just uncertain?” asked Eunkwang.

 

“She’s not like that, hyung,” piped Sungjae. “I know our memories of each other are largely fake. But in the time that I spent with her, I know that was her true character. She’s not someone who would do that.”

 

“I'll go down to Sooyoung and investigate. The rest of you wait here for my news,” instructed Minhyuk.

 

“Let me come with you, hyung,” said Sungjae.

 

“No, you should stay here. I can’t afford for you to get emotionally involved again,” insisted Minhyuk.

 

“But hyung,” began Sungjae, only to be held back by Changsub.

 

“Listen to Minhyuk-hyung, Sungjae-ah. This is an important matter that needs investigating. Don't be stubborn,” coaxed Changsub.

 

Sungjae looked worried but relented. Minhyuk flew off the balcony of the mansion and headed straight for Sooyoung’s dorm. By then, Sooyoung had already washed up and gone to bed. Minhyuk flew into her room and stood next to her, as he held out his arm over her. A faint blue glow emanated from his hand and he maintained it for a while, as he sensed for the power of the arrow within Sooyoung.

 

It’s there. It’s clearly there. So why did she reject Woo Dohwan?

 

Minhyuk frowned in confusion, before flying out of Sooyoung’s room. Just as he was about to fly back to the mansion, a sudden thought struck him. Minhyuk the spot and vanished, before reappearing in Dohwan’s room. Minhyuk held out his hand over Dohwan’s sleeping form, and the same blue glow emanated from his hand. Moments later, however, Minhyuk withdrew his hand in shock. He repeated the process, this time maintaining the blue glow for a far longer time. After a long while, Minhyuk finally gave up.

 

How could this be? I watched Sungjae fire the arrow!

 

Minhyuk flew out of Dohwan’s room and back to the mansion, where the rest were anxiously waiting. Sungjae saw Minhyuk approaching and flew forward to meet him.

 

“How is it, hyung? Did you find out what’s wrong with Sooyoung?” asked Sungjae anxiously.

 

Minhyuk looked at the earnest pair of eyes gazing at him, as well as the rest who were behind him, waiting for an answer.

 

“I went to check on both Sooyoung and Dohwan. Sooyoung carries the mark of the arrow within her, but Dohwan does not,” said Minhyuk solemnly.

 

“Mwoh?!” exclaimed Sungjae. “How could that be? I fired the arrow successfully this time!”

 

“I can’t figure it out either. But this is a big problem. It could mean that something is wrong with our arrows. This might affect all the couples that we’ve been pairing recently!” said Minhyuk agitatedly.

 

Eunkwang flew forward and put a comforting arm over Minhyuk. “Don’t worry, Minhyuk-ah. We’ll figure it out. There must be a logical explanation for this.”

 

Sungjae put his hand over his eyes and cussed under his breath, disappointed that Minhyuk had not managed to find the answer. Changsub noticed and flew over to comfort him.

 

“Kwenchana, Sungjae-ah. We’ll figure this out. Anyway, it’s not as if Sooyoung and Dohwan are in any danger,” said Changsub comfortingly.

 

Sungjae pushed Changsub away, not wanting to hear his empty words. The action took Changsub slightly by surprise. Though Sungjae had always been playful and cheeky, he had never reacted this way to Changsub before. In his surprise, Changsub noticed something on Sungjae’s hand. Changsub reached for Sungjae’s hand and pulled it towards him, before asking, “What’s this, Sungjae-ah?”

 

“What?” asked Sungjae, as he pulled back his hand to see what Changsub was talking about.

 

Changsub moved nearer to Sungjae and pointed at a small scar on Sungjae’s hand.

 

“Isn’t this just a small scratch? Maybe I rubbed against something and scratched myself?” asked Sungjae.

 

“Pabo-ah! Do you think you’re still human? We’re angels! We don’t get injuries like this for no reason!” replied Changsub. “A mark like this can only be caused by something magical!”

 

Minhyuk overheard their conversation and walked over.

 

“What’s this about your hand, Sungjae-ah? Let me take a look,” instructed Minhyuk.

 

Sungjae held out his hand obediently, as Minhyuk held on to it and examined the mark that Changsub spotted. As Minhyuk ran a finger over the mark, h

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter