Chapter 12

Crossing the Line
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Sungjae stirred in bed, struggling to open his eyes, as a throbbing pain gripped his forehead. When he could finally open his eyes, he found himself in a hospital bed looking up at a white ceiling. Sungjae struggled to sit up in bed and saw Sooyoung seated next to him, her head resting on her hands as she slept leaning on Sungjae’s bed.

 

Pabo-ah, why are you sleeping here?

 

“Sooyoung-ah,” said Sungjae softly, as he shook her gently on the shoulder.

 

Sooyoung stirred and woke up. “Sungjae-ah! You’re finally awake! How are you feeling?”

 

“My head hurts. What happened?” asked Sungjae.

 

“Heota-ssi told me that we both were knocked unconscious by the lamppost. He happened to come back to the rehearsal hall to pick up his water bottle, so he called for an ambulance. Luckily, the doctor said I didn't have to be warded. You took most of the impact, so you suffered a mild concussion. The doctor said you need to be warded for observation,” ranted Sooyoung.

 

“Oh, I see,” said Sungjae.

 

“How could you be so rash? You’re lucky there’s no bleeding!” scolded Sooyoung, tears coming to her eyes as she recalled the incident.

 

“Oh?” asked Sungjae, as his hand reflexively reached for the back of his head to feel it.

 

“The doctor was very surprised too. The lamp on the lamppost was shattered because of the impact with your head,” replied Sooyoung. “The doctor told me they were very surprised to find no signs of bleeding on your head when they brought you in. Maybe you’ve got a harder head than most people, that’s why it’s so hard to get through to you.”

 

Sungjae lunged out at Sooyoung’s cheeky comment, who dodged with a laugh, before a streak of pain caused him to falter.

 

“Omo, kwenchana?” asked Sooyoung in a startled tone. “Yah, you stay in bed and rest. I’ll go get the doctor.”

 

“Kwenchana, Sooyoung-ah. I think I just strained myself. I’ll just rest for a while more,” said Sungjae.

 

“Arasso. But how could you be so foolish, Sungjae-ah? You could have killed yourself by taking that blow for me,” ranted Sooyoung.

 

“Because I lo-” began Sungjae, before he caught himself in surprise. “Because… because you’re my best friend. Don't be too hard on yourself, Sooyoung-ah. Look I need to rest. You should go back and rest too. It must have been a difficult day for you too.”

 

“Arasso. You rest well. I will come back and see you tomorrow,” said Sooyoung.

 

As Sooyoung walked out of the ward, Sungjae struggled to rationalize what had just happened.

 

What was I about to say? WHAT WAS I ABOUT TO SAY? Do I… do I… am I…

 

But even in his thoughts, Sungjae could not bring himself to finish the sentence. After all, they had been best friends for 15 years. How could he…

 

 

The following day, just as Sooyoung was having a cup of tea with a book in her hand in the school café after her afternoon lecture, the opening of the café door caught her attention, as Heota walked in. Heota caught her eye and waved.

 

“Oh, Sooyoung-ssi. Annyeonghasaeyo,” greeted Heota with a smile.

 

“Heota-ssi, annyeonghasaeyo,” greeted Sooyoung. “Would you like to join me?”

 

“Would I be disturbing you?” asked Heota courteously.

 

“Not at all!” exclaimed Sooyoung.

 

Heota smiled and went to order a drink, before sitting at Sooyoung’s table. As Heota sat down, he asked, “How are you feeling, Sooyoung-ssi? The incident must have shaken you.”

 

“I’m fine. Sungjae got the worst of it, but it seems like he’ll make a full recovery too. I can’t imagine what would have happened if you hadn’t been there that day. Thanks so much!” replied Sooyoung.

 

“I just happened to be passing by. I’m sure anyone else who saw what happened would have done the same,” said Heota. “Anyway, how has the production been for you?”

 

“It’s not that bad. Dohwan has been really supportive and a really good partner, so it hasn’t been that tough,” replied Sooyoung.

 

“You guys seem to have grown closer in the past few weeks,” commented Heota.

 

“That’s because we’ve been working on our module project and the production together. I spend more time with him nowadays than I do with other people,” laughed Sooyoung.

 

“Are you getting enough rest?” asked Heota, as he sipped his drink. “You sound like you have a lot on your plate.”

 

“Dohwan will make sure I get enough rest and not fall sick like he did. Ever since he fell sick due to overworking, he’s been quite anxious about the same thing happening to me and always checks in on me to make sure I’ve had my meals and enough rest,” said Sooyoung, not realising that a smile was stretching across her face.

 

“That’s nice,” said Heota with a knowing smile. “Sounds like you two would make a nice couple.”

 

Sooyoung blushed hard and said, “An-anniya, we’re just friends.”

 

“That’s what your mouth says, but it’s no

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter