Chapter 11

Crossing the Line
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Saturday came round a little too quickly for Sungjae’s liking, as the entire cast flooded into the rehearsal hall in the evening, waiting for rehearsal to start. The first few scenes went rather smoothly, and before he knew it, it was Sungjae’s turn with Youngmin and Dohwan. Sungjae was a little nervous, because although he had rehearsed his lines well with Youngmin, he had not had a chance to do so with Dohwan. When their scene was called, Sungjae, Youngmin and Dohwan took their positions on stage.

 

“Cinderella! Where are our suits? We’re supposed to have new suits when we attend Princess Esme’s party tonight!” screamed Youngmin.

 

“Cinderella! What have you been doing all this while? Didn't you hear what father said about getting our suits ready for the party? It’s an extremely important party for us to meet Princess Esme!” hollered Sungjae.

 

“Mianheyo, hyung-deul,” replied Dohwan. “I will get your suits right away.”

 

Dohwan hurried off stage and came back with two towels that were meant to depict the suits that they were supposed to wear. Youngmin and Sungjae grabbed them without another word and strode off stage. Dohwan had not taken two steps before Sungjae strode on stage with another towel in his hand. Sungjae walked up to Dohwan and flung the new towel in his hand at Dohwan’s face, before pushing Dohwan to the ground.

 

“Whose suit is this?” demanded Sungjae.

 

“It… it’s mine, hyung,” replied Dohwan.

 

“Mwoh? Yours? Who said you were going to the party?” spat Sungjae.

 

Youngmin came back onto the stage and said, “You’re going to the party? Father said only we were going to the party!”

 

“Besides, how are you going to go to the party with a suit like this?” asked Sungjae spitefully, as he trampled on Dohwan’s suit and ground his feet into it.

 

“Come on, the party is in a few hours and we need to get ready,” said Youngmin.

 

Youngmin and Sungjae strode off the stage, leaving Dohwan staring forlornly at his ruined suit.

 

“Cut!” shouted the director. “Sungjae and Youngmin, you need to be nastier to Dohwan. The stepbrothers are out to rub it in Cinderella’s face that only they can go to the party. I think you’re still a little hesitant when saying your lines. Don't worry too much about overdoing it now. Remember, the audience sitting in the last row must be able to feel what you are portraying. All right, we’ll move on to the fairy godmother scene for now!”

 

As Sungjae was not involved for the next few scenes, he went to take a break with Youngmin to discuss the scene that they had just acted out.

 

“Yah, wasn't I already very nasty to Dohwan? I thought I was already overdoing it,” commented Sungjae.

 

“Maybe it’s like what our director said. We need to express it more for the people to feel it. I think you’re feeling awkward about it because it’s not the level of expression that you normally would have when talking to other people,” assured Youngmin, as his phone beeped. Youngmin lifted his phone to check it and Sungjae saw who it was from.

 

“Yah… you’re texting Seulgi-ssi on a personal basis now?” teased Sungjae.

 

“Yah Yook Sungjae! Don't intrude on my privacy!” complained Youngmin.

 

“Intrude on your privacy? Since when have we kept things private from one another?” asked Sungjae with an amused raised eyebrow. “So do you have good news for me?”

 

“It’s… it’s nothing really. We’re just friends,” said Youngmin hesitantly.

 

“Only friends?” asked Sungjae with the same raised eyebrow. “I’m your best friend, Youngmin-ah. You think I can’t tell when you’re lying?”

 

“I… I… All right, fine! We’re dating!” conceded Youngmin in a defeated tone.

 

“Heol! Since when?” asked Sungjae excitedly.

 

“Since last week. I was waiting for the right time to tell you, since you’ve been so busy recently,” explained Youngmin.

 

“Haha, thanks for thinking about me. Congrats bro!” laughed Sungjae.

 

“I didn't expect us to hit it off so well after you helped me set up that double date,” replied Youngmin with a grin. “I’ll ask you out to lunch with the two of us one day, okay?”

 

“I’ll take your word for it. It’ll be your treat then!” said Sungjae with a laugh.

 

“Arasso,” replied Youngmin with a roll of his eyes.

 

The pair talked for a while more before returning to the set. As if on cue, the director shouted, “All right, we’ll do the scene where Charles meets Esme now! Sooyoung, go change into the dress for this scene, since it’s ready. We’ll see how the lights capture it, then do amendments from there if necessary.”

 

For some reason, Sungjae’s stomach did a small flip as he watched Sooyoung and Dohwan walk up on stage.

 

“You guys haven’t been trained for the dance yet, so you can do the lines standing where you are. Just put your hands in position where they would be when you dance,” instructed the director. “We’ll be doing the lights tonight as well. They won’t be exactly the same as our actual stage, but they should be good enough.”

 

Sungjae watched as Dohwan and Sooy

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter