Chapter 14

Crossing the Line
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

As the curtain call ended, the cast let out a loud cheer. The director stepped forward and addressed the cast and crew.

 

“Thanks so much guys! Thanks so much for putting up a wonderful production! I’m so proud of you all! As promised, we will be having our celebratory supper in the rehearsal hall,” announced the director. “Let’s go!”

 

The cast and crew headed out of the performance hall in greatest alacrity and headed back to their dorm. Sungjae walked out with Youngmin, chattering away happily about their successful performance. When they reached their rehearsal hall, Sungjae’s expression faltered slightly, as he caught sight of Sooyoung laughing and chatting away brightly with Dohwan. Though Sungjae wiped his facial expression clean at once, Youngmin took notice and glanced in the direction that Sungjae was looking at a moment ago. A look of enlightenment lit up his face, as he said, “Seolma! The one who made you ask me all those questions that night is Soo-”

 

Sungjae clapped his hand over Youngmin’s mouth before he could finish.

 

“Yah! There’s no need to shout it out so loudly! Do you want everyone to hear?” said Sungjae in an irritated tone.

 

Youngmin cast an apologetic look at Sungjae, before Sungjae let go of Youngmin’s mouth. As Youngmin collected his senses, he asked, “But why is it her? You guys have been the closest of friends for 15 years! Why have you developed feelings for her all of a sudden?”

 

“Look, I’m as confused as you are,” protested Sungjae. “Just promise me you won’t say anything to her. She doesn't need this to spoil her night.”

 

“What makes you think this will spoil her night, Sungjae-ah?” asked Youngmin.

 

“Are you kidding? This could spell the end of our friendship!” exclaimed Sungjae.

 

Besides, why should I destroy it? I’d rather die knowing that we were friends and cared for each other till the end.

 

“This isn’t like you, Sungjae-ah,” protested Youngmin. “You’ve always believed in finding love. You helped me so much when I was trying to make it work with Seulgi. Why are you being like this now?”

 

“Because this isn’t like any other girl, Youngmin-ah!” retorted Sungjae. “How can I possibly tell Sooyoung how I f-”

 

But before Sungjae could finish his sentence, a blinding pain suddenly cut across his head, causing him to yelp and clutch the back of his head. Youngmin gave a start of surprise and held Sungjae steady.

 

“Sungjae-ah!” exclaimed Youngmin. “What’s wrong?”

 

The pain lasted for a few moments before it faded. Sungjae blinked the tears from his eyes and steadied himself.

 

“Nothing. Kwenchana,” lied Sungjae. “I think it’s been all these late nights I’ve been pulling.”

 

“Jinjja?” asked Youngmin, unconvinced. “I think you should go get some rest.”

 

“Jinjja kwenchana,” reassured Sungjae. “Let’s go eat.”

 

Though Youngmin still looked worried, he conceded and followed Sungjae for supper.

 

 

The morning after the celebration, Sooyoung woke up feeling like a truck had run her over. They had celebrated way into the wee hours of the night, and Sooyoung had returned to her room well past 4 am in the morning. After dragging herself out of bed and freshening up, she sat down with a cup of hot coffee and pulled open the curtains. As warm sunlight flooded in, she sat at her table and sipped her coffee, allowing the hot liquid to perk her up as it slid down . Sooyoung savoured the moment, before she took another bigger sip. As she finally grew more aware of the silence in her room, she heard her phone ring. Sooyoung reached for it and saw that it was from an unfamiliar number. Sooyoung hesitated for a while, before deciding to answer it.

 

“Yoboseyo?” said Sooyoung, as she took another sip of coffee.

 

“Yoboseyo?” came the urgent reply on the other end. “Is this Sooyoung-ssi?”

 

“Neh. Nugusaeyo?” asked Sooyoung.

 

“This is Youngmin, Sungjae’s friend. I got your number from his phone. Sungjae suddenly collapsed and has been sent to Cube hospital! Hurry over! I’ll text you the details!” shouted Youngmin over the phone.

 

Sooyoung nearly spat out her coffee, as her hands turned cold. She sprang up from her seat and burst out of her room after snatching up her purse. To her slight surprise, she nearly collided with Dohwan, who apparently had just been about to knock on her door.

 

“Sooyoung-ah! Where are you going?” asked Dohwan.

 

“To the hospital! Sungjae’s been hospitalised!” screamed Sooyoung, as she ran down the st

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter