o28 // better now

catch him if you can
chapter
28
 

"God, Jay's taking forever. Kate, check up on him, please?" Youngho complained.

Yerim rolled her eyes and went back upstairs, knocking on the door to the guest room where Jaehyun stayed at.

"Oppa? Are you done?" Yerim heard a muffled reply from him and furrowed her brows. She decided to just enter the room and surprisingly, the door is not locked. Yerim blinked when she discovered her boyfriend, still not fully dressed, fumbling with the buttons of his shirt.

"Goodness, gracious, oppa! What have you been doing!"

Jaehyun grinned sheepishly, "My arm hurts after the therapy yesterday, I had difficulties buttoning my shirt."

"You could've asked for help from me or my brother," Yerim rolled her eyes and approached him, her fingers moved swiftly close each button, tapping his chest once she's done. She walked to the bed and picked up the tie, motioning him to bow his head so she could tie it for him.

"You're too tall," Yerim begrudgingly complained as she stood on her tiptoes, trying to knot his tie neatly.

Jaehyun laughed before pressing a chaste kiss on her button nose. "Thanks."

"One more," Yerim said as she picked his suit, helping him put his wounded arm inside the sleeves. After making sure his suit is buttoned up correctly, she helped him put his arm back in his sling.

"My boyfriend looks good in his uniform. I never saw him like this before," Yerim giggled before tiptoeing again to press a kiss onto his lips, only to fail and kiss his jaw instead.

Jaehyun laughed before cupping her cheek and giving her a proper kiss, "Thanks for helping me, sweetheart. It'll take me an hour to do that all alone probably."

Yerim grinned before looping her arm around his healthy elbow, "Come on, let's head down before my brother gets grumpy."

Jaehyun pressed another kiss into her temple before walking to the car.

___

The precinct is a bustling mess when Jaehyun entered the place. "Jesus Christ, it felt like an EXO concert," Youngho whistled when he saw a long line of reporters waiting to enter the precinct.

"Well, we just captured a serial killer, which killed 5 innocent people and injured two officers. I mean… that's headline material right there," Doyoung said as he appeared from the pantry with a grin. "Hey bro, how are you? Feels better?" Doyoung turned to Jaehyun.

"A bit wacky after yesterday's therapy, but it's nothing I can't handle."

"Does it hurt that bad?" Doyoung asked curiously.

"He passed out in the car and only woke up to move to his room, and then he passed out again. Make your own judgement," Yerim added with a grin and laughed when Doyoung grimaced.

"Get well soon, dude. I can't wait for you to go back to the office."

They were about to exchange another supportive word but then Chief Kim appeared, already in his uniform as well. "Officer Lee already located those pesky reporters inside the conference hall. Let's head there."

Yerim followed the four males into the elevator that brought them to the conference hall which was fully occupied by reporters from various newspapers, magazines, and online media.

"Geez, I never liked speaking in public," Jaehyun muttered as he adjusted his sling, albeit futilely since he was only using one hand.

Yerim chuckled before correcting the sling position, "My brother will do like 80% of the talking, isn't he? Chill."

Jaehyun squeezed her arm, ready to walk to the front to take his position by Youngho's side. Yerim sneakily pulled his arm and pressed a quick peck on his cheek, "Good luck, handsome." A faint blush made its way to his cheeks and the tips of his ears, and he walked to the front with a silly grin on his face.

The three detectives took their spot behind the chief, listening attentively as Chief Kim opened the press conference.

"Hey."

Yerim looked to her left to see Detective Lee Taeyong and Detective Kim Jungwoo, along with the two CSI twins, Officer Lee Minhyung and Officer Lee Donghyuk, and the two young officers that her brother favored the most, Officer Lee Jeno and Officer Na Jaemin.

"Detectives, Officers," she bowed politely.

"It's bustling with reporters. The last time our precinct was this packed was one and a half years ago, when we broke down the largest narcotic ring in Seoul," Detective Lee Taeyong commented.

"Of course, Detective Lee. It's rare for our small precinct to be able to discover and solve a major case like this. 5 dead citizens and two injured officers? That's going to stay on the top of Naver’s search bar for at least a month," Officer Lee Minhyung commented.

"Hey, it's your brother's turn to talk," Officer Lee Donghyuk piped on, diverting their attention back to the front.

Yerim admitted her brother looks so good in his uniform. His presence commands attention and with that stern expression yet relaxed posture, Yerim felt that all the female reporters must've been swooning over him.

"Good Morning, reporters. I'm Detective Seo Youngho, the leader of Team 1, Homicide Division of Seoul Yongdeungpo Police Station. Today I'm going to be giving an official press release on the recent case. The Medicine murder as we called it, started on March, when I got mailed a box containing a body. The killer had a specific pattern of determining the victims and the sending dates. There had been 5 victims of various ages and backgrounds. The tying criteria are that the victims each had a tattoo, dyed hair, and had lived in the States before."

Doyoung helped turning on the projector and the reporters all snapped pictures of the screen which showed pictures of the victims and evidences, blurred to protect their identity. Youngho stepped back to let Doyoung continued the explaining job, the latter did the job really well because he's much better at public speaking. Doyoung went through each picture with ease and Yerim had to stifle her giggles when she saw how Jaehyun was trying to appear calm and collected even though she's sure he was anxious inside. The dreaded moment for Jaehyun was when Doyoung stepped back, letting him be in the spotlight.

"Good morning, I'm Detective Jung Jaehyun. I'm going to explain about the killer's profile." Jaehyun turned to the screen, "This is Seo Jiwon, age 58. He works at a ‘A’ pharmacy. The murder motive was revenge directed to Detective Seo. He mostly worked alone on luring the victims and then killing them, but he acquired help on sending the bodies from Jung Jaewon, his assistant pharmacist, age 27."

Yerim gave him a discreet fist pump and he smiled a little before continuing his speech.

"On the first of July, Mr. Seo sent a message inviting Detective Seo to meet him as a bait. Our forensic doctor, Dr. Kim Yerim received the message and went on his stead and she was nearly murdered. Mr. Seo drugged her with Oxycodone, dyed her hair black, and drowned her in a bathtub. Dr. Kim Yerim sent an S.O.S message and I came but I was shot in the shoulder by Mr. Seo."

All the journalist furiously typed, seemingly shocked because Mr. Seo attempted murder on law enforcement workers.

"The trial for Mr. Seo has started and we're going to continue it. We promised the citizens of Yongdeungpo that we'll put this man in jail, and Seoul Yongdeungpo Police Station will continue to work harder to keep the safety of our district. We'll be going to the court to continue the trial and we invite all press here to come to cover the trial and hopefully Mr. Seo will get the punishment he deserved."

Jaehyun bowed and let Youngho made the closing statement before they all left the conference room to prepare for the trial. They took Youngho's car to the court today with Youngho driving and Doyoung riding hotshot, leaving Jaehyun and Yerim on the middle.

"Are you nervous for your first trial, Kate? You'll be giving your testimony as a forensic doctor today and as his victim later on," Youngho said worriedly as he glanced through the rear-view mirror.

"A little, but I think I can handle it. Looking at that man's face fueled my rage. I can do this," she shrugged. Jaehyun glanced at her and smiled proudly, making Youngho shuddered at the small romantic act. He's totally okay with them dating but seeing them like this made him mildly uncomfortable. His best friend is dating his sister! He glanced again and looked at how Jaehyun discreetly took his sister's hand and rubbing his thumb on her knuckles and he could see her sister looking relaxed even though she's about to speak in front of the judges and a large crowd of reporters. He's at least thankful Jaehyun is there for her.

Youngho parked the car and as he predicted, they were mobbed by reporters who were asking about the trial. There were a few security officers trying to guard them but to no avail since Jaehyun and Yerim were there. Everyone is curious about the two living victims.

"Kate? Hold onto me," Youngho hollered amidst the crowd, afraid he will lose his sister. Doyoung is ahead of him, struggling to get through the barricade of journalists.

"I got her," Jaehyun yelled back before wrapping his healthy arm around his girlfriend, shielding her from the massive amount of people. He pushed her through so she could hold onto her brother's back before sticking closely behind her so she was sandwiched safely between him and Youngho. They all sighed in relief when they were finally whisked into the waiting room, free from curious press.

"Phew! That was wild! Is this how a K-Pop artist felt?" Doyoung flopped dramatically into a couch.

The chief who was already inside laughed, "Maybe, Doyoung. Are you guys ready for the trial? Yerim?"

Yerim nodded as she sat carefully next to Doyoung. "I was just asked to report the result of my visum, right?"

Everyone nodded.

"Then it's okay."

They nodded again and Yerim rolled her eyes. Ever since she was nearly murdered by the killer, everyone has been treating her like a porcelain doll. She was about to go on protesting but then Prosecutor Kim came after knocking on the door.

"Hello everyone."

"Prosecutor Kim!"

They all rose to bow to him. The man smiled and waved them off.

"We should head inside right now. The trial is about to start. Mr. Seo, Mr. Jung, and their defending lawyer is already walking inside."

They gave each other supporting taps on the back before heading inside the courtroom. Once they were inside, Yerim and the three detectives were ushered to their place while Prosecutor Kim sat next to Chief Kim on the front row.

"Fighting," Youngho said before taking his place, with the rest of his team sitting behind him.

"Please rise."

Everyone stood up at the command of the judge. Youngho kept his gaze at the judge, not wanting to face the smug face of the man he unfortunately had to call his birth father. This wasn't his first trial with the bastard, but it's the first one with his baby sister and he felt a mixture of rage, guilt, and shame all colliding inside him. He knew the man is staring straight at him, almost challenging him, but Youngho didn't want to lose at this mental game. He stood once the judge allow him to voice his accusation. He finished pretty quickly and sat back down as his father's lawyer stood up to defend the man. God, it felt awful calling the man his father.

The lawyer droned on and on and the judge requested Yerim to start explaining about her findings. Jaehyun gave her hand a firm squeeze before she walked to take her place at the front.

"Doctor Kim Yerim, according to your report, all victims' death had something to do with medicine."

"Yes, your honor."

"Please elaborate."

Yerim nodded and started talking about her findings that she knew like the back of her hand. Jaehyun stared at her in awe. She's very articulate and confident, and she didn't show any signs of hesitation.

"My sister's amazing, right?" Youngho softly nudged him. Jaehyun nodded, still with a starstruck expression on his face, "Yeah. I'm the luckiest guy on earth."

After nearly two hours of gruesome banters, Youngho nearly cried when the judges announced that Seo Jiwon will be immediately put on a death parole.

___

"Shall we go have some drinks?" Doyoung grinned after they left the court.

"Daytime drinking? What are we? Frat boys?" Jaehyun laughed.

"Today calls for a celebration," Doyoung shrugged.

"Fine with me. With meat?" Youngho piped in.

The rest of the team agreed unanimously and Youngho drove them to their favorite restaurant and soon they found themselves sitting across a grill table, flipping meat and drinking shots.

"Doy."

"Yeah?"

Youngho grinned, "There's something you need to know."

"Huh? What?"

"Jay, Kate. Tell him."

"Tell me what?" Doyoung blinked confusedly as he chewed on his meat.

Youngho chuckled as the tips of Jaehyun's ears begin to reddened progressively.

"You promised to tell him after the case ended," Youngho prodded with a teasing voice.

Yerim kept her head down and nervously gulped on her drink.

"Well, this, I'm telling you," Jaehyun rolled his eyes and downed his soju shot, before clasping his fingers with his girlfriend's, and then pulling their intertwined hands up. "Doyoung, we're dating."

Doyoung nearly spat his alcohol and his eyes widened comically.

"You guys... WHAT?!?! How long?!"

Yerim rubbed the back of her neck sheepishly, "Before Jaehyun oppa and I were injured by the killer."

Doyoung blinked his eyes as he did some mental calculations. Once the gears in his brain clicked, he balked and threw a piece of lettuce towards the couple, causing Yerim to shriek, hiding herself behind Jaehyun’s shoulder as the man in front of her continuously threw stuffs at them.

"It's been nearly a month and I'm the only one who doesn't know?! Jesus, the disrespect!" Doyoung chided, flinging a piece of garlic towards the couple.

Youngho laughed, holding the dramatic man by the arms, "Hey, hey, don’t waste food! I had a hard time accepting it but oh, well."

"I mean, it's not surprising and kind of expected, but I'm still mad that you guys were not telling me."

"We weren't planning on dating until we finished the case," Jaehyun muttered.

"Gosh, you're both lucky I love you both. Use your free time well, okay? Go on dates and stuffs, because when you get back to work I ain't seeing you two doing sappy stuffs!" Doyoung huffed.

"What are you guys planning to do after we wrap this up, anyways?" Youngho asked.

"Continuing with therapy, I guess. I need to get better so I can get the green light to go back to work," Jaehyun shrugged.

"Yerim?" Doyoung asked.

"Probably accompany him. I wanted to see what happened during his session since he always came back as if he just fought a war or something," Yerim answered.

"I hope you get better soon," Doyoung smiled, patting his friend's back good-naturedly.

"What about your plans, Doy?"

"Well, as long as we're not getting another case soon, I'll probably help Team 2. If I'm still free I want to see my parents, and my brother's family too. I miss my nephew. How about you, John?"

Youngho shrugged, "Have some healing time, I guess? God knows I need one."

"Go on a solo trip or something. A hike! It gets rid of stress quickly," Doyoung suggested.

"Good idea. I need to make peace with my past," Youngho smiled glumly.

"Hey, don't take it hard. It's not your fault," Jaehyun patted his back.

"It's just… You nearly died because of me, Jay. Kate, you too. My father never liked me. He went on this sick revenge because he hates me. And somehow, a lot of innocent lives were affected because of me," Youngho hung his head, partly in shame, partly in sorrow.

"It's not your fault, oppa. Eomma said it herself, the man's a psycho. There's nothing we can do to prevent him from planning those sick murder acts," Yerim sighed.

"Still…"

"Ya, ya! Stop all of these depressing thoughts! Group hug everyone, group hug!" Doyoung protested.

"Group hug!"

___

"Trouble again?"

Jaehyun rolled his eyes as Yerim sauntered into the locker's room where he's hopelessly trying to his suit.

"I hate police uniforms," Jaehyun snickered.

Today was the second press conference where they announced the final verdict of the case. And that means Jaehyun had to wear that damned suit again.

Yerim laughed as she ed his suit jacket, "But you look good in it. Today's the day. Mr. Seo got his final sentence. It's an important day and you deserve to look good in it. Anyways, the press-con's finally done so don't complain."

Jaehyun pecked her forehead after she helped him undress from his suit into a more comfortable flannel shirt. "I'm glad the case will end well," Jaehyun muttered as his healthy hand took hers so they can walk out together.

"I know. Oppa's going to drink alone to celebrate. Doyoung oppa is visiting his brother. We should celebrate too! I want dosirak!"

Jaehyun chuckled, "Dosirak? That's so random. But oh, well. Fine. I miss the kind ahjumma."

"Let's get a takeaway and then eat at the park!" Yerim beamed.

"Sure thing."

The couple giggled and laughed as they walked to the restaurant, talking about beef dosirak and random stuffs. The doorbell chimed as they entered the shop and the kind ahjumma who owned the business smiled at the two of them.

"Detective! I haven't seen you in months! How are you? I heard the two of you got hurt. I followed the news about the case," the woman said.

Jaehyun smiled, "We're fine, ahjumma. We're getting a break from work and right now we just want to enjoy your delicious food!"

"Eyy… Anyways, what can I get for you?"

"I want beef dosirak," Yerim said.

"Make it two then, ahjumma," Jaehyun nodded.

"Alright, two beef dosirak…. to go?"

"Yes, take away, please," Yerim smiled.

The ahjumma yelled to her staffs at the kitchen before turning back to them. "Wah, you guys insisted you weren't dating back then but look at you," the ahjumma shook her head in disbelief.

Yerim and Jaehyun gave each other a knowing look before grinning. "Ahjumma, you're a fortune teller. Because look," Jaehyun lifted their intertwined hands, "We're really dating now!"

The woman squealed and jumped, "Omo! I'm so happy! I knew it! You guys have always looked good together! Ah, be happy for a long, long, time, okay? And tell your two other friends to get some lover too!" The woman added.

Jaehyun grinned, "Will tell them."

After a pleasant talk and a bonus portion of tteokbokki, they finally left the restaurant with food in their hands.

"Hey, we forgot to buy drinks!" Jaehyun exclaimed as they sat down on the bench on a nearby park.

"Should I go buy one on the convenience store there?" Yerim pointed at the store across the street.

"Just wait here, I'll buy us some," Jaehyun patted her cheeks before jogging there. Yerim shook her head but she smiled nonetheless. She swung her legs as she waited patiently.

"Doctor Kim? From Seoul Yongdeungpo Precinct?"

Yerim stood up immediately in alarm and sighed in relief when she saw the familiar face. "Researcher Jung… right?"

The man smiled, "Yeah! Ah, it's nice to hear that you still remember me."

Yerim nodded politely.

"I watched the news. I heard you and your detective friend got hurt. Are you alright now?"

"Ah, we're fine. Thank you for your concern," Yerim smiled.

"Doctor Kim, you looked different with this hair. But you're still very pretty."

Yerim chuckled awkwardly, hoping Jaehyun would come really soon.

"I was very interested in you back then, actually. I was wondering if you would every give me a call. But your detective friend said you're taken."

Yerim smiled tightly because back then she wasn't taken yet but she guessed Jaehyun was just staking his claim early. It's almost funny.

"Ah, yeah… I'm ta—"

"Sweetheart?"

Yerim turned her head and smiled in relief when she saw Jaehyun jogging towards her with a plastic of drinks.

"I hope you weren't waiting too long. There was a line in front of me," Jaehyun pressed a kiss on her temple as he dropped his grocery bag on the bench. Yerim held her giggles as she watched Researcher Jung's shocked expression.

"Oh, who is this? I think I've seen you before... Ah! Researcher Jung! We interviewed you back then! Sorry I forgot for a second. How are you?" Jaehyun turned to the man and bowed politely, but still keeping his healthy arm around Yerim's back.

Researcher Jung smiled awkwardly, "Ah, I'm good. I was just passing by."

Jaehyun smiled back in return. It might seem like a normal gesture but Yerim swore it was so funny. The way Jaehyun had his arm wrapped around her felt like he was protecting his most valuable asset or something. And his smile… There was something about it.

"I'll get going then. Nice seeing you again, Doctor Kim. And uh, Detective."

Jaehyun bowed and casually waved his hand as Researcher Jung left the place.

"Ya! What was that?" Yerim playfully slapped his chest.

"He used to like you! And I guess he still likes you," Jaehyun snickered as he took a seat.

Yerim laughed at his childish behavior, "Ya! You're being ridiculous!"

"Shut up," Jaehyun grumbled, the tip of his ears turning red.

"Waa… Our Jaehyunnie is jealous~"

Jaehyun rolled his eyes, "I was just protecting what's mine."

Yerim beamed before pecking is dimple, "I'm yours so you don't have to get all territorial like that, okay?"

Jaehyun grinned, "I know."

 
notes

merry christmas to my readers who celebrated christmas! something not too heavy to celebrate the jolly spirit of christmas! i hope everyone had a wonderful christmas this year!

we've got 2 more chapters before this story officially come to an end. i'll post them on the next year!

thank you so much for everyone who read/subscribe/upvote this story of mine.

merry christmas, happy new year, and happy holiday!

<3, btfg