o27 // safe and sound

catch him if you can
chapter
27
 

Yerim blinked her eyes open and shut them off immediately at the bright light. She fluttered them open again, slowly adjusting her blurry vision.

What is this smell? Rubbing alcohol? It smells like disinfectant.

She sniffled and blinked her eyes again.

"Yerim!"

"Daughter!"

"Katie!"

Alright. Too much noises. She tried to get up and groaned when she felt her head spinning.

"Easy, princess, easy…"

She looked at her left to see her father looking at her worriedly, helping her into a sitting position.

"Appa?"

"Hey, sweetheart. You're safe and okay, daughter."

Yerim nodded as she let her father pulled her into a hug. She looked up and saw her mother and her brother, all looking worried as hell.

"Where am I? The hospital?" She said as she looked around.

"Yes, honey. You're in the hospital."

She nodded and her father moved to let her brother sat next to her.

"You scared me. You scared me big time, Kate," Youngho sighed.

"But I'm fine…?" She said sheepishly.

Youngho groaned before pulling her into a hug. "Kate, you nearly died! Do you know how dangerous the act you just pulled?"

Yerim bit her lip, "I just want to keep you safe. Looking at the pattern, the man was really targeting you from the start."

"You should've told me, and we'll form a solid plan, instead of going there unarmed. You almost lose your life, for God's sake!"

Yerim fiddled with her fingers as her brother scolded her.

"Look, Katie Kat, I'm really thankful that you solved this case for me. But I don't want to put you and the other guys in danger. You're so important to me. I can lose my career but I can't afford to lose you," Youngho said softly.

Yerim nodded her head.

"Please don't do anything stupid and follow your brother's directions, okay, princess?" Her father chided softly. "

Okay. I'm sorry for worrying you all."

"Oh, sweetheart," her mother sighed and hugged her, followed by the guys.

"I love you guys," Yerim mumbled, which was replied with a chorus of I love you too from her family.

"By the way, what happened to me and how did I get here?" She scratched her head in confusion.

"The doctor said you become unconscious from Oxycodone," Youngho explained.

"Oxycodone…? So that's what Mr. Seo was crushing! No wonder I fell unconscious so quickly! Sneaky bastard," She grumbled.

"Huh?"

"People are not allowed to chew or crush Oxycodone tablets. It caused a rapid release of the drugs and that's…. Lethal. He force-fed me the oxycodone!"

"Oh, Jesus, thank god you're okay then," Youngho groaned and rubbed his face.

"Anyways, how did I get here? Did Jaehyun oppa read my message?"

Youngho sighed, "At times like this I'm grateful I have a genius sister. Yes, he read your notes and he received the S.O.S code. He got there and gave you chest compressions."

"Chest compressions?"

"The killer tried to drown you in the bathtub. Jay did CPR and you spat out the water."

Yerim gaped, "The killer tried to drown me?! Ugh, that bastard. Anyways, Jaehyun oppa… Where is he now? Is he with Doyoung oppa?"

She looked around when the three people became silent.

"What?"

"Jaehyun got shot, Yerim," her mother finally spoke up.

"He—what?! H-how?"

Youngho sighed and slung an arm around her shoulder. "The killer shot him twice, on the shoulder. Thankfully, the shots didn't hit anything vital and he's recuperating from the surgery."

"Oh my god, it's my fault, isn't it? He got hurt because of me… God... How about Doyoung oppa?"

Youngho shook her head, "I've said it before Yerim, getting shot is a part of our line of work. You may have acted rash, but what the killer did was unexpected. It wasn't your fault. And Doyoung is perfectly fine, he's coordinating with Prosecutor Kim to deal with the case. Doyoung will be handling this case for a while I took care of you and Jaehyun."

"Will he be visiting?"

"Who? Doy?"

Yerim nodded. "He'll probably come pretty soon to check up on you, and take care of Jay since his parents are still in the States."

"Umm... Can I see him? Jaehyun oppa, I mean?"

"Later, not now. Right now, what your body needs is a lot of rest," Youngho said with finality.

"Fine. But please check up on him, I feel bad for him," Yerim muttered.

"So, his parents are not coming here?" Mrs. Kim said.

"No. Jay made me promise him that I wouldn't make his parents worry unless he's dying. I did inform his parents that he got hurt but I assured then that he is fine and I promised them I will connect them to a video call with him once he’s awake," Youngho explained.

"I'm sorry kids... I made you all feel guilty and sad when it was all actually my fault for marrying that crazy guy," Mrs. Kim sighed.

"Hey, eomma, don't say that... It's not your fault! That man is crazy by default, okay?" Youngho said.

"Listen to your son, honey. You might think it's a mistake for marrying him. But if you didn't marry him, you would not have Youngho. And you might not even marry me and have Yerim later," her husband comforted her.

"Come on, another group hug! Let's not be sad and instead be strong for each other in this tough time!" Yerim said, opening her arms, allowing her family to hug her.

___

After making sure Yerim feels alright, Youngho left her ward to the hospital's cafeteria, where Prosecutor Kim is waiting for him.

"Detective Seo!"

Youngho smiled at the older guy and bowed politely before sitting down across him.

"How's your sister and your partner?" Prosecutor Kim Jongin said as he pushed a cup of coffee towards Youngho.

Youngho received the drink gratefully before answering, "My sister has woken up. She's getting better. Jay's still knocked out from surgery, but the doctor said he will probably wake up in another two or three hours."

"That's good. It's good that everyone's fine. Umm… so, I've discussed things with your Chief and your partner Detective Kim. We agreed on bringing this case to the court as soon as possible."

Youngho nodded, "Please do. I know the murderer was my biological father, but let me assure you that there will not be any conflict of interest for I don't have any emotional relationship with him and I'd love it for him to be punished justly."

"I'll make sure of it. But we're going to need Detective Jung Jaehyun and your sister, Dr. Kim Yerim, to testify. They were the only victims who made it out alive. Your sister was also the forensic specialist in charge for some of the bodies so she will have to present her findings in front of the judges as well."

Youngho nodded, "We can arrange that once they get better. Maybe a week or two after they're discharged? Especially Jaehyun, since he's going to be needing physical rehabilitation first."

Prosecutor Kim nodded, "It's okay. I'll notify the court to start the trial from the first two victims. That way, we can start the trial with your testimony, and Dr. Do Kyungsoo's while we’re waiting for your sister and your brother to recuperate."

Youngho was about to talk when he saw his mother sliding into the chair next to him.

"Hello, sorry for intruding. I'm Youngho's mother, Shin Aeja."

"Hello, eomeonim. I'm Prosecutor Kim Jongin, prosecutor in charge of the case your son is currently working at."

"Eomma, why are you here?" Youngho asked curiously.

"Umm, Prosecutor Kim, in case you didn't know, I'm Seo Jiwon's ex-wife. I… can I help you with this case? I want that man to punished as heavily as possible for all he has done to my kids."

"Pardon?"

"If I can bring you evidence of him being violent in the past, would that help?"

Prosecutor Kim nodded, "That can be a good supporting cause for him to be punished because he had violent tendencies."

"That's… that's good. I can send you pictures through Youngho."

Prosecutor Kim smiled, "I can arrange a lawyer to be by your side and you can testify against your ex-husband, ma'am."

She smiled and nodded, "Thank you so much."

After exchanging pleasantries and promising to contact Youngho later, Prosecutor Kim bade farewell since he needs to go to the precinct and meet Doyoung.

"Youngho? Son?"

"Yes?"

"Your father called me. He said Jaehyun has woken up."

"Oh? Let's meet him then."

Youngho linked his arm with his mother as they took the elevator to Jaehyun's ward. His father welcomed them after they exited the elevator and led them to Jaehyun's room.

"The boy finally woke up for real like ten minutes ago. A doctor is inside checking up on him but we're allowed to come and visit."

Youngho nodded and opened the door, revealing a pale looking Jaehyun with his left arm in a sling. A doctor was by his bedside, checking his vital signs.

"John. And oh, Mr. Kim, Mrs. Kim," Jaehyun greeted them weakly.

"How are you feeling, dude?" Youngho asked carefully as he planted his palm on Jaehyun's healthy shoulder.

"A bit groggy since apparently I was knocked out cold for so many hours. I can't feel my left arm but that's probably due to the anesthesia. Otherwise, I'm completely fine," Jaehyun smiled reassuringly.

"I'm so sorry you have to go through all of this, Jay."

"Eyyy, it's okay. We're police officers. Homicide detectives. We're bound to get hurt. Speaking of getting hurt, how's Yerim?"

"Yerim's okay. She's doing rather well and she will be discharged soon," Youngho said.

Jaehyun sighed out in relief, "Thank God. That's good. And where's Doyoung?"

"At the precinct. He'll visit you soon," Youngho explained and Jaehyun nodded.

"Jaehyun, son, thank you very much for saving our daughter and helping our son in this case. We'll forever be indebted to you," Mr. Kim said apologetically.

"Oh, no, uncle! I'm glad I could be a help. I was just doing my job!" Jaehyun explained.

"Still... How about you live with us for the time being since you're injured? Your parents live abroad, right?" Mrs. Kim offered.

"Oh, auntie… I don't want to be a burden. I'm sure I can handle my injury alone," Jaehyun assured the female.

The doctor who was monitoring his IV drip chuckled, "Well, If I'm allowed to give advice, I think it's wiser for you to stay with someone since you still need to attend physical therapy as well. You’re going to need assistance to recuperate properly,” he said before politely excusing himself out of the room.

"See? Listen to the doctor, Jay," Youngho scolded his friend lightly.

"I just don't want to be a burden for your family," he grinned sheepishly.

"Nonsense," Youngho snorts.

"No, no. I meant it. I don't want to feel like an additional baggage to you and your family. With my current condition, I don't think I am allowed to partake in the case—"

"Absolutely, you're off the case," Youngho nodded.

Jaehyun rolled his eyes and continued, "and that's why, the least I can do is to not bother you, Johnny."

"Son, you won't be a burden. You saved my daughter’s life and helped my son catch a murderer. If anything, you're our family savior. If you don't want us to take care of you, shall we contact your parents and fly th—"

"No, uncle! No, I mean…"

Youngho chuckled when he saw the tips of Jaehyun's ears turning red.

"My parents didn't really approve my choice of becoming a detective. If they found out I got hurt this bad, they will drag me back to the States. Please don't tell them," Jaehyun said politely.

Mr. Kim laughed, "Well, stay with us then. My wife likes it when our house is bustling with people."

"That's right. I told you you're basically our son too since our own son barely remembers he has a family," Mrs. Kim said as she nudged Youngho teasingly.

"Eomma…."

Mrs. Kim giggled and Jaehyun smiled, "Alright then. I'd love to stay with your lovely family, auntie, uncle."

Mrs. Kim beamed and Mr. Kim shot him a fatherly smile, "That's good. Yerim would be thrilled to know her boyfriend is staying with us. And it's a good excuse for me to observe my daughter's man," Mr. Kim cackled before leading his wife outside the room.

Jaehyun balked and threw Youngho a scandalous look.

"What? Duh, Jay, with the heroic act you pull for my sister, everyone could see that there's something between the two of you. And remembering how you were the center of my sister's worry when she just woke up from being unconscious… geez."

"I'm sorry," Jaehyun hung his head, feeling guilty.

"Hey, what are you sorry for? I know you're a very good guy, Jay. I'm glad my sister opened her eyes and went to you. My question is, since when?" Youngho grinned.

Jaehyun sighed, "Just a day before…. The whole calamity happened."

"Huh? It hasn't been long then?"

Jaehyun nodded.

"Jesus Christ, I thought the two of you had been dating secretly behind my back since my parents kept on yapping about the nice, polite, Christian boy who kept popping to our house for breakfast and chauffeuring our princess of the house."

Jaehyun groaned, "Of course not! I wasn't even planning on dating her now, John. I was waiting for the case to end first. But well, things happened and here we are."

Youngho smiled, "Take care of her well, then. The chief agreed to let you and Katie off for a paid leave. A month long off-duty. You can finish your rehab in peace and spend some time with my sister. Take her out on dates and stuffs, okay? She hasn't been on dates in such a long time so please make her happy."

"A month? That's ridiculously long! Don't we have to wrap this case up? How about testifying in the court? Yerim and I were living victims, shouldn't we testify in court?" Jaehyun furrowed his brows.

"Doyoung and I will work with Prosecutor Kim to finish wrapping up the case. Prosecutor Yoon is out of the picture, don't worry. We're going to start the trial with the first to second victims so only my presence and Dr. Do is required. And oh, Doyoung too. You and Yerim should rest. Maybe in one or two weeks the trial involving the two of you would be held."

Jaehyun nodded slowly, "Okay. The killer… Do you know him then? It's Mr. Seo the pharmacist, right?"

Youngho chuckled bitterly, "Sadly, yes."

Jaehyun blinked curiously and Youngho took a seat on a chair next to the bed. Even in this state, Jaehyun could still observe his friend’s expression well. There’s something bugging him.

"He... Mr. Seo… Don't you recognize something about his name?"

"Uhm… Seo? Wait..." Jaehyun paused to think.

"He's my birth father, Jay," Youngho said bitterly.

"What?! Oh, . Hey, I'm so sorry, dude. Uhm, oh. How do I put it in words…" Jaehyun stammered in shock.

"I'm sorry I put you in danger. The man wanted revenge or sort on me since my mother and I left him. That's why he was targeting me."

Jaehyun balked and nearly choked on his own spit.

"I never really saw him as a father. My father is Yerim's father. Kim Myunghoon is my father, step father or not. I'm going to put Mr. Seo in jail. I'll put him in death parole. He's going to pay for his mistakes, for killing innocent people, for hurting people that I held dearly," Youngho said firmly.

Jaehyun nodded, "Okay. Do what you need to do."

Youngho smiled, "Alright. I have to go back to the precinct. Doyoung will come here soon."

"Okay. Take care, John."

Youngho grinned, "Thanks. And you, get well really soon. And oh, don't you dare hurt my baby sister, okay? I'll make sure to make your life a living hell if you did. You’ll be getting more than a busted shoulder if you dare hurt her."

Jaehyun widened his eyes in shock comically as Youngho left his ward while laughing boisterously.

___

Yerim finished packing her bags with the help of her mother. She's finally getting discharged. Even though she's happy she could finally leave the hospital, she's restless since she hasn't visited Jaehyun at all.

"Eomma, can I see Jaehyun first before we go?"

Her mother smiled teasingly, "Of course, sweetheart. Your father and I will be waiting at the car. Call us if you're already in the lobby, okay?"

Yerim nodded and her mother kissed her cheek before walking out with her overnight bag. Yerim padded out of her wards and politely greeted a few circulating nurses before knocking on the door to a room a few doors away from her ward. She heard a soft come in and she peeked her head in, her heart clenching immediately at the sight of her boyfriend in a muscle tank instead of a hospital shirt. She could see thick bandages wrapping his left shoulder and his left arm is supported with a sling.

"Yerim!" Jaehyun exclaimed in surprise.

Yerim gulped before rushing to his side and pulling him into a hug, careful not to crush his injured shoulder.

"Gosh, Yerim," Jaehyun sighed in relief at the sight of her.

Finally! He got to see her. Alive and well. The memory of her drowning, pale, and lifeless haunted his mind. He wrapped his right arm around her waist and inhaled her scent as he buried his face in the crook of her neck.

"Jesus Christ. Thank god you're alive. You're okay," he whispered.

Yerim pulled back and wiped her glassy eyes as she sat carefully by his side. "I was supposed to be the one saying that. You got shot. Twice. Thanks for saving me."

Jaehyun smiled and lifted his hand from her waist to caress her cheek. "I'm completely okay, Rim. How about you?"

"I'm doing well. I'm getting discharged. My brother said you'll be staying with us until you recover."

Jaehyun nodded and bopped her nose, "Uh uh. And we're granted a month of paid leave. So, you'll have to deal with me 24 hours a day for 30 days."

Yerim giggled, "I'm going to look forward to it."

"I'm getting discharged tomorrow. Welcome me at home, okay?"

Yerim grinned as she shifted closer, cupping his cheeks before planting a soft peck on his nose, "Of course. Gosh, I missed you."

Jaehyun's grin widened, "Kiss me properly if you miss me then."

Yerim grinned before leaning in again, this time properly planting her lips on his luscious ones. Jaehyun tangled his right hand on her hair, sighing in content as they parted.

"Wow," she panted lightly.

Jaehyun chuckled before stealing a peck on her lips. "What are you planning to do now?"

"I'm going to restore my hair first and foremost. Mr. Seo really did an awful dye job on my poor hair," she complained, tugging on her hair.

Jaehyun laughed, patting her head, "Do you want me to accompany you to the hair salon tomorrow?"

Yerim giggled and softly shook her head, "Nah. I'll surprise you."

Jaehyun sent her a playful glare and she laughed happily. "Are you going to dye it blond again?"

She shrugged, "Not sure. You'll have to see tomorrow!"

___

Jaehyun hovered at the living room confusedly. He was just getting discharged—finally—today. Yerim wasn't there to welcome him but her parents and brother were. He offered the kind Mrs. Kim to help make dinner but the whole family kicked him out of the kitchen and forced him to rest. In another word, he felt useless, bored, and he missed Yerim so bad. The food was just being cooked so it'll take at least half an hour still. Jaehyun was about to sit on the couch when he heard the front gate opening. The door opened and Jaehyun swore he just saw an angel.

"Y-Yerim?!"

The girl blushed and grinned as she did a little twirl, "Hey, handsome. What do you think of my new hair?"

Jaehyun gaped. Yerim looks perfect. She dyed her hair a pretty shade of pastel pink and she gave it a little trim also.

"You're… Damn, you’re gorgeous. God, let me kiss you while your family is unsuspecting," Jaehyun gasped as he stepped closer and pulled her in for a deep kiss, thankful that the rest of her family is still too busy cooking to care.

Yerim giggled as she parted, "Let's greet my family and then we can go back to kissing again soon."

Jaehyun beamed, "Of course."

He dragged her to her family, but not before leaving a short peck on her lips.

The storm is finally passing. The killer is found. Yerim is safe and sound. Jaehyun couldn't ask for more.

 
notes

hello! i'm back with the lovebirds' conditions after the confrontation with mr.seo! i'm sad that probably, 2 or 3 more chapters and this story is finally done! to think that i started writing this story more than a year ago, and it sat on my computer for months before i got the courage to post it, and now it's nearly ending!

thank you everyone who has read my story, i hope you enjoy it! thank you also to those who subscribed, commented, and upvoted!

also, the resonance mv was finally out! i'm glad jaehyun shone so bright on the mv, though i have to admit i was a little sad that several members only appeared for like a split second before fading into the background. but well... what can we expect from SM? LOL

anyways, support NCT!