chapter V

The Task of Pandora
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
05 THE VOW  

Once their empty platters were changed into another meal ㅡ Alows de Beef ㅡ the Queen finally started to give more informations about their supposedly task.

"Have you ever felt mad at how we are below those two other Kingdoms?" The Queen started. "Have you ever felt that you want the ranks to change, with us at the top?"

Sumin never felt mad that they were below the other two Kingdoms as she knew she was already lower than her  own Kingdom's people. But she had wanted The Ranking to change and them being on top of the other two Kingdoms. At least she would get better privileges.

"I do, too. I want us to show those other two Kingdoms that we are not as weak as they thought. Just because we lost the first battle, does not mean we will definitely lose to them for the second time," Queen Trithis said, drumming her fingers on the wooden table.

"Second? Don't tell me..." Luhan trailed off.

"Why, yes! That!" The Queen said and laughed in satisfaction at Luhan solving the puzzle pieces. "I'm planning to make a second battle toward the Kingdoms and change The Ranking. Our ancestors were a fool, thinking they would win when they had not prepared well enough. This time, we won't make another mistake!"

Sumin's eyes widened. This woman was crazy mad. Kai was right.

As though the Queen had read her mind ㅡ which she did ㅡ she sent Sumin a small smirk. "Think I'm crazy, do you? That's because you haven't heard the rest of the plan yet.

"As I've stated previously, the five of you will enter the Academy. Your task for now will be making those people outside our beloved Kingdom, especially those from Kingdom of Valcadas, to take sides with us. I'm planning to start the battle at the Graduation Day, when most people are quite defenseless," Queen Trithis said with a confident smile.

"Well, that's impossible. Who will want to side with us?" Sumin said skeptically.

"It's not entirely impossible, especially Valcadas. They usually have habits to follow someone or more whom they think will benefit their Kingdom, or at least earn their respects. That's why half of Valcadas took sides with Quaris in the first battle.

"Quaris is sometimes foolishly kind and loyal to their friends," Queen Trithis hissed the last word, "and they have this stupid rule they've grown with since they were kids to pay back other people's help or kindness they've received. I think you can use that information somehow."

"Why does it have to be from the Academy?" Chanyeol asked, finally breaking over his silence.

"Because those in the Academy have special abilities and certainly other Magives, of course! Although the Queens have to be a Magive to rule, most of their citizens don't even posses those kind of special abilities. Having comrades of other Magives would benefit our side in the battle," Queen Trithis said.

"This is from my most humble opinion, Queen Trithis," Sumin gently said, "but I don't think Quaris people would want their own Kingdom to lose. I personally think it will be very hard."

The Queen took a sip from her goblet, before she spoke once more. "Indeed, that's why I expect at least Valcadas will take our side instead. However, it's not impossible. There have been some Quaris people who dislike this ranking rule and can't stand Otrera to be stepped over. Blame their kindness.

"But, obviously, the other Quaris people like having the highest privilege. So, you can search for those Quaris people that have their dislike over this rank rule and tell them we want to change it. No more ranks."

"That's...lying," Chanyeol muttered, playing with his beef.

"We are Otrera. We are cunning and ambitious. We will do anything to achieve what we want," the Queen said and smiled in confidence.

Sumin wasn't really interested with any of these if she didn't receive anything that would be useful for her. Being paid into an Academy wasn't enough. She would still go along and live off at the streets as an illegal person as she already lived as that person for years by now.

"What do we get?" Sumin asked.

"I was about to go there! Of course, as expected of our people," the Queen said as she laughed in amusement. "In exchange, I will grant you one wish. Anything you want. Well, except for my throne of course. Anything than that, I'll do it just for you."

Sumin shared an eye contact with the Queen's knowing one. She must still have remembered what Sumin had thought this afternoon.

"How do we know you will keep your promise?" Luhan asked, skeptical as always.

"Did you forget I have the ability to take any promises?" Queen Trithis said as she stood up and walked to the fireplace just right behind her. Chanyeol seemed to be the only one more interested at the fire rather than the Queen. "I'm a Promise Sealer. Just by saying my own name in The Great Vow, my magic will be automatically activated. If you dare defy your own promise, you will feel pain for the rest of your life."

The Queen paused for a dramatic pause, then turned her head around. "Including myself, of course."

Chen's brow was raised lightly, a smirk was playing in his lips. "How do you have two abilities?"

The Queen didn't reply to Chen's smile, and Sumin was intrigued by that fact as well. How did she have more than one? Sumin had never heard of that. Or maybe she wasn't reading much into these kind of things.

"Now, I will do The Great Vow so you will trust me," the Queen said with a smile.

She put up her palms then clasped it together, and brought her clasped hands to her chest. Queen Trithis slowly closed her eyes.

"In the name of Trithis Wright, I hereby take my vow, shall they agree to my request, to grant one wish to: Lee Sumin, Lu Han, Park Chanyeol, Kim Jongin, and Kim Jongdae. Any wish, except taking my own throne. If I dare defy my promise, I swear to my own name that I will receive my punishment."

Her body started to glow in a slightly bright yellow, the light crawling from her feet to the top of her head.

Sumin winced all of the sudden once she felt a tingle of pain around her wrist. She looked down and found a strange mark that kind of looked like a snake, in golden, with a ribbon floating around its body.

She glanced at the other three and found they were also watching down at their wrists. Queen Trithis also had one

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter