chapter XII

The Task of Pandora
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
12 MAYBE  

Sumin looked down at the small piece of parchment in her hand, contemplating whether to contact Kyungsoo or not.

After she had explained to Luhan, Luhan immediately frowned. She didn't quite get it; what was wrong with him and Kai? They looked like they didn't like about this particular event, somehow.

"Contact him; ask him if he's a Magive," Luhan finally said.

"What for?"

Luhan rolled his eyes and crossed his arms impatiently. "Because of our task, of course. You said that he should have been around our age, so we can meet each other next year if he is a Magive. If yes, then that means he can be our ally because he is from Valcadas."

The reality of their task finally seemed to dawn upon her. How could she be this foolish for forgetting about her task? Just because they hadn't entered the academy yet did not mean she could just relax around until the day the task should be done officially.

"Well, how can I do it, then? I can't just ask him if he's a Magive or not," Sumin stubbornly said, having her pride slightly crushed.

"You were the one to talk to him, so it's up to your hands how you want to do it," Luhan carelessly said and left to train.

So now, Sumin sat down at the library with Kyungsoo's address on that small piece of parchment, a parchment for her to write on, a quill, and an ink. She knew deep down Luhan was right, but her pride didn't like it and insisted her to be stubborn and reject. But she also knew that would be a stupid move.

Sumin grabbed her quill and the parchment, ready to write. Judging from the way he had acted, Kyungsoo was a pretty much honest person. Maybe she could just ask him to just tell more about himself. She also remembered from a book about cultures from other Kingdoms, Learning the Cultures of the Three Kingdoms, that Otrera was the only Kingdom to feel that saying that they were a Magive was a sacred thing and shall not be said in civillized conversations.

Finally making her mind up, Sumin dipped the end of the quill into the ink bottle and started to write down on the parchment.

 

Dear, Do Kyungsoo.

It has been two months or so since we have met, so I deeply apologize for not sending you a letter as soon as possible.

How was your Christmas? I hope you had a quite good one.

To further expand our relationship, therefore I want to know more about you. Can you tell me about yourself? I assure you I will do the same once you have told about yourself.

Also, if you have any recommendations about books, it will be a full pleasure for me to know more.

Best regards,

Sumin.

 

Sumin let out a sigh and slumped her back. She put her quill down softly, reading over her words to check if they were proper enough for a letter. When she deemed it was proper, she folded the parchment and closed her eyes. She imagined about the front desk of the library, then flicked her hand.

In a second, a white envelope was sent to her table, submitting to her command. Sumin smiled proudly for a second, before she put her letter in. She didn't forget to write down Kyungsoo's adress on the front of the envelope.

After she had put down all the things back to their places, Sumin walked upstairs to the top floor, where the hawks were.

Luhan had showed her back then about the room, which fascinated her. There were a couple of hawks in the room and a large window for them to fly around when they were bored.

Hawks were relatively an intelligent creature, with a strong sense of smell. They were used as the main deliveries for humans when they needed to send a letter to far places. That was why Sumin was not worried by not putting her address back, because she was sure the hawks would be able to distinct her own scent from her parchment and track her when Kyungsoo sent his response back.

As she opened the wooden door, multiple hawks turned their heads to her at the sudden interruption. Sumin walked upon one of the hawks who took her interest. It had a mix of grey and white feather, with a black beak. Its eyes stared at her, waiting for a job she would give to it, and probably also some snacks for its payment.

"Hey, send this letter to a man named Do Kyungsoo, okay?" Sumin asked gently, showing the front of the envelope which had his address on.

The hawk stared at it for a moment, before it looked back at Sumin in anticipation. Sumin clucked her tongue in understanding, as she pulled a red pouch from her pocket and untied it. Then she pulled out a fresh, raw, small fish she had stolen from the kitchen.

Its red eyes widened in amusement, then immediately gulped it down once Sumin had set it down. After the hawk had finished its snack, it lifted its foot a little, waiting for Sumin to give the envelope to the hawk.

Sumin gave the letter to its foot, then the hawk immediately flew away through the window to search for Do Kyungsoo.

Sumin watched it until it had disappeared from her sight, before she went out to train her ability.

 

 

A few days later, Kyungsoo's letter had finally arrived when the five of them were training.

A brown hawk approached the field, which were now less with snows around, and went to Sumin who had been resting. It dropped something to her lap, then immediately flew back to its owner.

"A letter?" Chen asked with interest.

"From who? The Queen?" Chanyeol asked. The Queen had left the Palace again to discuss with the Great Council. Probably about Silverio Academy and the students they needed to send letters soon.

Sumin didn't answer as the boys started to group around her, curious about this sudden letter. Sumin ripped open the envelope and pulled the letter to read the message.

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter