chapter XXIII

The Task of Pandora
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
23 SMILE  

Sumin balled both her hands into a fist under the table, thinking over and over about what Baekhyun had just told her.

"I saw grey around Chanyeol."

Chanyeol was never the type of person Sumin would expect to even think about going to the dark side, or whatever it was. He just seemed so pure ㅡ sometimes too innocent ㅡ to even consider about it.

She knew what it meant with the 'dark side': Whenever a Magive had lost their fear of taking other people's lives and any bits of their humanity were gone, they were already in the dark side. It was different with people in war or battle, as they were usually forced to kill people, and they obviously still had humanity inside them. 

But for those who always sought for vengeance, or that they killed people off without any forces, whatsoever, was deemed to be in the dark side according to a Photokinesis Magive's secret ability such as Baekhyun.

With the fact that Kai and Chen were officially forced to assassinate people because they were manipulated as kids to do The Great Vow, Sumin knew that they weren't in the dark side. But then, sometimes she didn't know what was inside Chen's head.

Was it possible that Baekhyun lied to her? After all, Baekhyun was obviously slightly annoyed that he couldn't read her at all. So, he probably decided to rile her up by telling her that Chanyeol had the potential to go to the dark side.

Then, there was this problem that Baekhyun couldn't see anything around her. Why, though? Should she be happy or disappointed that he couldn't see anything? Did it have something to do with her ability? But then, her ability seemed as normal as other abilities, so she didn't understand why either.

Chanyeol suddenly shook his head and looked up to her, so she immediately covered up her surprised look as best as she could after Baekhyun's revelation. The moment they shared another eye contact, the memory of them being so close to one another earlier appeared in her mind.

Then, Chanyeol's eyes immediately widened as if he finally realized something, and his ears started to flush pink. "Oh, Otrera, I'm so sorry!"

"For what?" Sumin asked, quirking her eyebrow up. Although, in the back of her mind, she already had an idea what he was talking about.

Chanyeol averted his gaze away, pursing his lips for a moment before he sighed. "W ㅡ well, for ㅡ well, I'm sorry! Please don't be mad at me! I didn't know what exactly got into me!"

Chanyeol's ears turned bright red and his cheeks were starting to blush either. Sumin couldn't help the chuckle to be let out from her lips, and Chanyeol seemed to take it out of context, once again.

"W ㅡ why did you laugh? Are you mocking me?" Chanyeol asked, frowning.

"No," Sumin replied immediately, "but you are just too adorable."

"You are clearly teasing me!" Chanyeol said, then whined in protest. "I just apologized and you decided to tease me!"

"I can't help it," Sumin answered, smiling at him.

Surprisingly, Chanyeol immediately closed his eyes and turned around in his seat so she faced his back. "Nope! I'm not seeing that!"

"What do you mean with 'that'?" Sumin asked.

"Your smile!"

Sumin ignored another lurch from the region of her stomach, and the fact that she felt flattered by how this conversation was going to. "What about my smile?"

"Your smile is too bright and pretty to me, I honestly don't know if my heart can take it," Chanyeol said honestly, which surprised her. She knew Chanyeol was honest, probably the most honest man she had ever known, yet she didn't expect him to be this honest. Not that she complained, though.

Instead, she poked his shoulder, which made him reluctantly turn around as he opened one of his eyes. Sumin decided to , so she smiled a little. "How can I stop smiling when you are always the reason I smile?"

Chanyeol snapped both his eyes open and gasped as he stood up hastily. "Did you just f ㅡ flirt with me?"

Sumin tilted her head to the side innocently. "Why? You don't like it? Then I'll stop saying those kind of words."

Chanyeol gasped dramatically and shook his head. "No, no! I like it! Please don't stop!"

Sumin smirked slightly as Chanyeol clamped off his mouth and then squatted down. He scratched the back of his neck awkwardly as he stared down at the floor. After seemingly debating with himself, he looked up to her and brushed back his bangs, which she truthfully found attractive.

"I don't know... I honestly found you really pretty," Chanyeol confessed. "Ever since we met at the carriage, I thought you are the most beautiful woman I've ever met in my life."

Sumin waited for him to confess more, and resisted the urge to smile once again. She would have never expected that Chanyeol had a way with words, albeit unconsciously. That was actually the side Sumin had secretly adored about him.

"Then we spent a year together with the others. Even after that, I still think you are really beautiful." A soft smile bloomed in Chanyeol's lips, and she honestly thought his smile was way more beautiful.

"I mean, you are really smart and I always feel dumb whenever I'm around you," Chanyeol said, then he laughed lightly. "Not only that, you are also very strong. I don't think I will win over you if we have to fight hand on hand."

Chanyeol stopped talking, then Sumin decided to leave her seat and squat down in front of him as well with a small smile. "And then...?"

Upon noticing her right in front of him, Chanyeol immediately closed his eyes and flushed. "T ㅡ then, when we stood so close to each other earlier, I ㅡ I almost did something I was not supposed to do. I'm also very, very sure you will get mad at me, and I'm also thankful that Baekhyun stopped me just in time."

Sumin leaned over to his ear with a smirk, and she caught him his breath in reflex. "What if," Sumin whispered, "I'm not mad at you for that?"

Chanyeol gasped and he leaned backward, which made his fall to the floor. His ears were full red and his cheeks were compeletly flushed. "Don't say it when you don't mean it!"

Sumin laughed heartily, having a joyful time teasing him. However, she knew in the back of her mind and heart, she wouldn't actually be mad if Chanyeol decided to kiss her.

"You're so cute, Chanyeol. Have you ever kissed someone?" Sumin asked as she fixed her position and sat down on the floor.

Chanyeol covered his face with his palms, obviously embarrassed with this topic. "This is so embarrassing, Sumin!"

"So, have you or have you not?"

The Pyrokinesis Magive didn't immediately answer as he looked around the library, completely avoiding her gaze. Then, finally, he casted his gaze downwards as he played with his fingers awkwardly. "I ㅡ I have never..."

Sumin somehow felt elated by the revelation, and she didn't hide it as another smile bloomed in her lips. She crawled closer to Chanyeol then cupped both his cheeks softly, to show him that he didn't have to run away. She actually didn't know what really got into her to be this brave, but at that moment, all she wanted was to feel the way his lips on hers; whether if it would feel as beautiful as his smile.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter