chapter XXV

The Task of Pandora
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
25 UNICORN'S TEARS  

After surviving through Math, Sumin found out their Professor was just quite mad.

Professor Richard Gerald was a middle-aged man who had a sandy complexion and tawny. He had a pair of thick eyeglasses that enlarged his brown eyes that seemed to observe all of them. He seemed to be rather in love with Math, or just plainly obsessed. Sumin didn't know whether she should envy how large his brain seemed to work with all these numbers, or be relieved that she wasn't as mad as him.

After their very first lesson, Professor Gerald immediately gave them assignments to do, which brought complaints from most of them. But obviously, those complaints fell dead in his ears as Professor Gerald continued to ramble how absolutely beautiful Math was.

At least Sumin now realized Professor Hilda (their History Professor) was very normal compared to Professor Gerald.

After the horrendous Math, all of them headed to the Majestic Forest for their last lesson of the day: Mythical Creatures. Sumin felt like every fiber of her being was pumped with anticipation of this particular lesson, and she wondered what creatures would the Professor show to them. She hoped that it wouldn't dim her excitement as she got there, though.

Speaking of creatures, Sumin suddenly thought about Eren, her Pegasus. She wondered whether Eren was doing all right; after all, Eren seemed to be one 'amazing' horse.

"You do know I can sense your sarcasm, right?"

Sumin immediately halted her steps in the hallway, surprising Luhan whom was walking alongside her. Luhan cocked his head slightly to the side, putting his one hand on his hip lazily. "Is everything okay?"

After realizing her embarrassing action, Sumin hastily recovered herself and nodded, although a bit reluctantly. "I'm okay."

Luhan didn't seem to buy her answer, but he continued to walk again and Sumin followed. As they walked, Sumin rolled her eyes before answering Eren through her connection, 'You should have told me before you suddenly opened our connection, Eren.'

"What? So you're expecting me to say 'Knock, knock Princess, because I'm about to barge in through our connection'? Like that?"

'Not exactly like that, but you understand what I mean.'

Eren whinnied lowly, and Sumin had a good feeling it resembled something of a scoff. "I already told you before that all you have to do is just call my name and our connection will be like poof! Opened."

'Well, you didn't tell me that calling your name in my mind also works.'

"....I haven't?"

'No.'

"....but still! I thought you are smarter than that, Princess!"

'Don't use my intelligence as your excuse. And stop calling me that!'

"Yeah, yeah, yeah."

Sumin shook her head a little to cut off the connection, and it did. She let out a sigh that somehow sounded close to a relief, before she realized that she was already right in front of the Majestic Forest.

The wind blew the leaves that rustled in the trees, and there weren't any animals to be spotted behind the giant gate. She peered closer without her realization, hoping for any signs of animals. But there was still nothing, and her shoulders sagged in dismay.

She changed her attention to the gate that seemed to sparkle, which made her wonder whether it was made out of pure diamonds or not. If she could, she would touch it and feel it right under her fingertips, but she also remembered that she would be harmed if she let even a single feather-like touch of her finger on it.

Somehow, Sumin felt something familiar stirring inside her: She wanted to open the gate and enter it. She wanted to feel her feet right under the grasses beyond the gate. She wanted to find the animals inside the Majestic Forest herself, and she had a feeling there were plenty of it.

She wanted to know what was inside this forest.

Sumin's gaze followed the gate until she reached the top, clucking her tongue. Even if there weren't any protections on the gate, there was no way she could climb that far. Even if she could, she wasn't sure she had enough amount of energy for her to climb down safely. Kai couldn't teleport her into the forest too. Yifan couldn't do it too as the gate had been charmed for those with flight ability to fly over it; but, it wasn't like she would ask Yifan even if there weren't any of those obstacles. It would be really awkward if she asked Yifan as they weren't close yet, and the position would always involve with body contact so that was out of option.

She stared at the rustling trees, spotting a few leaves that were tucked off from their branches, before suddenly an idea fell into her brain like a click of a switch.

Just wait for me, I'll find out what is inside of you, Sumin thought as she sent a small smirk at the Majestic Forest before turning her attention away.

There was a cozy, small, wooden cottage in front of the Majestic Forest, with smokes escaping from the chimney. Beside the cottage was a long wooden trough that she presumed would be the place for the creatures' food.

Suddenly, the door to the cottage was opened, revealing a short, plump woman with a big bucket in her gloved hands. Yixing, being the nearest to the cottage, didn't hesitate to come over and helped the woman with her bucket with his warm dimpled smile.

"Oh, you kind lad, thank you so much," the woman said, obviously flattered by Yixing's good mannerism.

Yixing only smiled in response as he brought the bucket and set it down beside the trough.

The woman smiled and clapped her hands twice to gather all of their attentions, before she finally introduced herself, "Aye, aye! The Class of Reomir! Welcome to Mythical Creatures Lesson, and I'm Professor Jung Tami. I'll be teaching you lots and various amazing creatures that will charm you in different ways.

"After all," Professor Jung said, grinning, "only Magives can attract creatures that are deemed as mythical. If you are interested, you might want to consider working in the Creatures Department after graduating, or something like that."

Sumin had no interest in that department, she was just excited to see the creatures, nothing more. She wasn't even sure if everything would be the same after the Second Battle.

"Right!" Professor Jung clapped her hands, showing her toothy grin. "Today, we are going to learn about Unicorns! Does anyone know about anything related to these majestic beings?"

Sumin was about to rake through her memories until Suho took her chance by raising his hand.

"Yes, dear boy? What's your name?" Professor Jung pointed at Suho with a nod.

"Kim Junmyeon, Professor. Unicorn is indeed majestic, and a rather gentle creature. Its drop of pure tears can cure almost any sickness, except when the person is so near to death's door. However, the tears should be let out by the Unicorns with their own intentions, and should not be forced. Unicorn's tears are extremely rare and hard to gain, and while Unicorns are all right with us touching them and talk to them, it is very difficult to make Unicorns trust us. Only when the person is deemed by the Unicorns not to use their tears in the wrong way, will the Unicorns let out their tears," Suho said in a stoic face, yet Sumin noticed the pride he held behind his eyes.

Lifen, who stood behind Sumin, huffed slightly, as if she was annoyed.

"Excellent boy, excellent!" Professor Jung bellowed excitedly with a huge smile on her face. She quickly pulled out a a paper out from her pocket then jotted down something before she tucked the paper in again. "I'm very relieved to know that you already know that much about Unicorns. Marvelous, marvelous!"

A light shade of pink adorned Suho's cheeks, and Sumin inwardly thought that was one of the most adorable things she had ever seen.

Why were everyone either beautiful or adorable? Sumin didn't know whether that was a good thing, or a curse for her.

Then, Luhan raised his hand, which surprised Sumin. She definitely did not expect Luhan would want to do these kind of things; she didn't even know Luhan knew things about creatures!

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter