chapter XIII

The Task of Pandora
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
13 DARK VEIL  

Sumin decided to pretend that she had not heard anything last night, but she was mildly disappointed somehow when Kai also did the same. Then she felt ashamed and embarrassed for even feeling disappointed over such a simple thing that she wasn't even sure she heard it correctly.

But then, she also noticed the sudden change in Kai's actions as time passed.

One time, while they were training, Sumin fell down hard after Kai had kicked her in surprise. Sumin groaned, feeling that her ankle was feeling all sorts of pain, which indicated that her ankle was twisted when she fell.

"You okay?" Kai asked, panting as he walked over to her.

Sumin sat up, trying to move her leg but she hissed when she got pain instead. Her ankle was officially sprained, that she was sure of.

Kai crouched down, checking on her ankle and touched it to check. His touch was gentle and soft, which honestly surprised her. After examining for a moment, Kai sighed and helped her to stand up, which earned complaints from Sumin of course.

"You should rest," Kai stated.

"It's only a sprained ankle," Sumin defended herself, feeling a light jab to her very own pride at his words.

Kai only replied by rolling his eyes, yet he suddenly sent her a small smile which made her feel a slight lurch in the region of her stomach.

"I've never done this with anyone, but do you trust me?" He asked, staring down right at her eyes.

Sumin felt like she wanted to tear her gaze away from his intense one or just squirm slightly, but that would be embarrassing and not Sumin-like, so she stayed put. She felt her chest tightened when she noticed he still held around her arm gently, and it was an odd feeling for her.

"Truthfully, no," Sumin said with a straight face.

Kai's smile turned into a smirk that she usually would punch for the heck of it, but before she could do it though, she suddenly felt as if she had been pulled into a tight pipe.

Everything went dark and she felt like she was zooming to something she wasn't even sure of. She felt like her body was squeezed as she flew through and her stomach lurched, but this time  it was from nerves.

All of the sudden, she was dropped and her feet lost balance from the sudden touch on the ground, also added by her sprained ankle. Sumin would have fallen to the ground if only Kai didn't hold her back.

"W ㅡ what the was that?" Sumin said, panting as her sight had black spots all over.

"I just teleported you here," Kai said in a matter-of-fact tone.

"You could have warned me first!" Sumin snapped.

Kai shrugged and brought her to a bed, which she soon realized was her bed and both of them were actually in their bedroom.

"It's lucky that we were successfully able to come here," Kai suddenly uttered.

"Lucky?" Sumin asked, incredulous.

"Well, first off, we could have been trapped in that space if I had not concentrated enough and you were heavy as hell ㅡ "

"What?" Sumin snapped again, sitting up from the bed in anger. Did he just say they could have been trapped? And did he just say she was heavy?

"ㅡ and it kind of drained my Energy Core more than I had thought, but seeing how I did it on my first try, then it's nice," Kai said, ignoring her complaints and smiled proudly to himself.

"Sweet Otrera, I hate you," Sumin complained, throwing herself back to the bed.

He vanished after leaving her with a smirk, just right after she threw her pillow at him.

Then, the second one was when he voluntarily accompanied her at the library.

Of course it surprised Sumin because none of the boys would have ever wanted to go there if not by the request of the Queen's. But here he was, following her with his own wish.

"What are you doing?" Sumin asked, lifting her eyes up from her book.

"Bored," Kai merely replied. He had his arms folded on the table and his chin on top of them.

Sumin ignored his words, then went back to her book. As long as he didn't annoy her, then she wouldn't mind.

His knee suddenly touched hers, which sent a jolt to her heart. Sumin ignored it, trying to read but the feeling that he was staring at her made her a little uncomfortable.

Some strands of her black hair fell down from her ear, which she wanted to brush back, but Kai beat her to it. He suddenly pulled his arm and brushed her hair back, which of course grabbed her attention. That familiar lurch in her stomach returned again and her hold around the book tightened instinctively.

They didn't say anything, but none of them wanted to tear their gaze. Kai then smiled a little at her then teleported away.

It wasn't only Sumin who felt something was odd though; Luhan seemed to also notice the sudden change.

"He's becoming weirder and weirder," Luhan said as the both of them walked around the garden.

Sumin shrugged, agreeing with her best friend. If Luhan also thought the same, then that meant it wasn't only her who thought like that.

Luhan's eyes suddenly widened, and she could imagine a lightbulb had appeared beside his eyes. He looked down at her, then suddenly frowned in realization.

"What?" Sumin asked, confused.

Unfortunately, Luhan didn't answer her question.

After that day though, Luhan kept coming over when Sumin and Kai were alone.

"What are you doing here?" Kai asked, furrowing his eyebrows at the older guy who walked over to their table at the library.

"Why? Can't I come and visit my friend?" Luhan taunted, cocking his head to the side with a smirk.

Kai wanted to complain, but then Luhan took a seat beside Sumin, whom had no interest with their quarrel.

That was only one of the examples, though. Luhan kept walking over when he spotted Kai wanted to talk with Sumin, which annoyed Kai to no end. Chen found this amusing, and he couldn't help but laugh

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter