Pink Skies

Byun, the Californian Prince

"Byun Soeun, the upcoming King of Bucheon, will be holding his inauguration in Seoul on the 15th of June at nine in the morning! We as the people of Lotus Channel would like to congratulate the prince for making his way to become the new king! We would also like to congratulate the current king, King Byun Woo, for his services!"

 

Baekhyun immediately paused the video and examined the current king's face. He memorized his face and his name before clicking play. Jongin was sitting right besides him eating pizza that the boys ordered right after looking through every single thing that Baekhyun's mom kept from his father. Most of the letters were written during the time they were together and all of the postcards were sent during and after the relationship. The most recent postcard she received was during Baekhyun and Jongin's graduation where he went to Greece. It looked like most of where he went were for visits. It was until today that he had discovered Korean broadcasts and television because he was never really exposed to Korean television. 

 

"Byun Soeun will be the first prince to become a king without an heir or a spouse on his side! That is really ground-breaking in the history of his family." The broadcaster said until Baekhyun paused the video. 

 

"He will once I come down there!" Baekhyun exclaimed. Jongin only sighed heavily and took another slice of the buffalo pizza. "This man clearly has no idea that he had me, huh? Is my mom even communicating with him?"

 

Jongin shrugged. "How would I know? She probably is."

 

"I can't directly ask her about it. She'll suspect me of knowing something."

 

"Well, she will know something when you suddenly spend close to a thousand dollars to go to Bucheon and expose yourself! Besides, we are far different than how they are. We are too— how do I say— American." 

 

Baekhyun huffed and crossed his arms. His cousin does have a point. "That won't stop me though. So what if I'm too American? Isn't that what they want to see?" 

 

"Not all Koreans will like the American behavior, Baek." 

 

Baekhyun pouted and opened another window to find airplane tickets. "Will you come with me?" He asked the younger and he immediately shook his head. "That might be a good idea because I don't want your parents to kill me for kidnapping you to South Korea. It will be lonely to go there by myself though, but I know my mom might not want to see him."

 

Jongin finished his slice of pizza and leaned over to grab the napkins from Baekhyun's side. Baekhyun looked at the prices of the tickets and pondered about them. He was definitely sure about flying over there, but he was afraid to bring his dad into a scandal because it will leave a bad image on his name. Especially when the broadcaster mentioned his dad being the only prince to be crowned without an heir or a spouse. He would take on any scandal, but he didn't want to be rejected by his own dad because of the sudden appearance. The elder sighed and closed his laptop. He looked over for the pizza and took the last slice of buffalo pizza. 

 

"How long do you think of staying?" The younger asked. 

 

"I'm thinking until he kicks me out. I'm only going for one way right now. Not a round trip." Baekhyun answered in between chews. Jongin hummed and looked outside the window. He saw a car pull up at the driveway and checked the clock. 

 

"Your mom is home." Baekhyun looked outside the window and sat straight up. He grabbed the empty pizza box and folded it flat while Jongin grabbed the plates to the sink. Baekhyun's mom unlocked the front door and made her way in while carrying bags of groceries. 

 

Baekhyun smiled widely at his mom and stuff the pizza in his mouth while wiping his hands with a napkin. He walked towards her and grabbed the bags out of her hands. 

 

"Hi, auntie!" Jongin greeted. 

 

"Hi, baby! Hanging out today?" She asked while removing her heels. 

 

"Yeah. Later I will take Baekhyun out to the malls and eat sushi with our friend, Sehun." Jongin said while wiping his hands dry on the towel. 

 

Oh Sehun is a childhood friend to both Baekhyun and Jongin. He's usually around Kyungsoo, their tiny neighbor, since Sehun lives with him. They are friends and nothing more, which is something Jongin really appreciated because lately he has been catching feelings for his tiny neighbor. Sehun moved from Seoul to California when he was entering university, and he attended the same school as Baekhyun and Jongin. Kyungsoo, on the other hand, went to a different university and is a childhood friend to Baekhyun and Jongdae. He was originally from Los Angeles. 

 

"That sounds fun. Come home by 11, you two." The woman said and both boys hummed. 

 

While Baekhyun was taking food out and putting them into the cabinets and the fridge, Jongin came besides him and leaned in his ear. "You think you want to renew your passport on the way? Just in case?" The elder turned his head and nodded.

 

[Pink Skies]

 

"Your dad is the man who is going to be the king? My mom loves him!" Sehun said when he opened the curtains and flashed his fit. Jongin shook his head and Baekhyun reached out to adjust the belt. 

 

"Yeah, that's my dad. I'm planning to go on Friday in the evening." Baekhyun said and pushed Sehun back into the fitting room. 

 

"What about your mom? How will you tell her that you found her special box and will leave to find your dad?" Sehun asked. 

 

"I'm not entirely sure, but either way I hope she doesn't get mad at me."

 

Jongin scoffed and drank his drink. Sehun walked out and Baekhyun gasped. Jongin once again shook his head.

 

"Take this off! I want to try this on!" Baekhyun tugged on the shirt and Sehun went back inside to change out of the clothes and back into his own clothing. Jongin slouched on the couch and took out his phone to see a notification from Kyungsoo. He placed his drink besides him and started texting with a stupid smile painted on his face. 

 

Sehun came out and gave the shirt to Baekhyun and the smaller ran inside the fitting room. Sehun sat down next to Jongin and looked at his phone. 

 

"Why are you texting my roommate? He's trying to learn how to make the jiggly pancakes for me." Sehun asked and tried to get a better look at the conversation by taking his phone. 

 

Jongin glared at the younger and snatched his phone back. "I can't talk to my friend?" 

 

"I can't look at what you're trying to do? I know what you are doing, Jongin, and it might not work. Lots of men are lining up for him right now!"

 

Baekhyun came out of the fitting room and showed off the shirt that Sehun wore before. Jongin nodded in approval and Sehun gave him a thumbs up. "I'm going to buy it. It's on sale too!" Baekhyun chirrped and ran back inside the fitting room.

 

"Wait," Sehun faced the door Baekhyun is in, "tell me more about your plan because all we did was renew your passport."

 

Baekhyun came out with his own shirt and motioned the two to get up. Then they made their way out to the register. "I already found tickets, but have not booked them yet. My plan is to show up at the Royal House and find him myself in that gigantic house. When I find him, I will properly introduce myself, show evidence that I am his and my mom's son, and ask him if I he believes me." Baekhyun pulled his credit card out for the worker and she swiped his card. 

 

"That's tough." Sehun said. 

 

"It is, but how will he say no when he has a beautiful son?" Baekhyun chuckled and grabbed the bag from the girl and thanked her. 

 

The boys made their way out of the store and walked all the way to the sushi restaurant and waited in line to be seated. They waited ten minutes before they got seated. While ordering, Sehun placed the menu down. 

 

"I don't know about this, Baekhyun. It sounds really dangerous because he doesn't know you." Sehun said with a hint of fear in his tone. Jongin placed his menu down and agreed with the younger. 

 

"Sehun has a point. I'm scared for you too. What if he thinks you're a spy with real evidence that can be considered stolen?" 

 

Baekhyun placed his menu down and sighed. "You are both thinking too negatively about this. I know what I'm going to do and it will work. Besides, I can't back out now. I bought the ticket."

 

"YOU WHAT?" Jongin and Sehun shouted in unison, causing people nearby the turn heads. "When?" Jongin asked.

 

Baekhyun laughed and placed his menu back up. "While you two were bickering over which dessert place to go afterwards. I'm leaving on Friday at six in the evening." Jongin and Sehun looked at each other in shock while Baekhyun called for a waiter. During Baekhyun's order, Jongin looked at the menu and then looked up at the waiter. 

 

"Give me spicy platter—"

 

"Me too." Sehun butted.

 

"Then give me a four orders of the house special drink."

 

"We can't drink alcohol! Sehun is underage still!" Baekhyun hissed. 

 

"Who said he is drinking?" Jongin said and gave his menu back to waiter.

 

The night was going to be a very long one and Sehun has to be the one who drags them back home. He regrets telling Kyungsoo to stay home and watch his dog.

 

[Pink Skies]

 

Baekhyun sat at his desk laughing to himself as he hiccupped and took his pen out of the cup. He grabbed a piece of paper and begin writing down his letter to his mom.

 

Mom,

I love you so much. I hope you know that because I show it everyday :]

Just so you know that when you read this, I am on a plane.

I found your box full of dad's (Byun Soeun, soon-to-be-king of Bucheon) letters and found him out through those.

I won't be coming back until he kicks me out, so please call me when you can okay?

I wuv u mommy <3 please don't murder me! >_<

 

He placed his pen down and looked at his handwriting. It was beautifully yet drunkenly written and he smiled proudly. He folded it up and opened his desk drawer and threw it in there. He slammed it closed and got up laughing. Waddling with his clothes and towel, he walked to the bathroom and fell into the bathtub.

 

[Pink Skies]

 

It's Friday evening when Baekhyun's mom came home from work. She came in the house and she tossed her bag on the couch. The lights in the house were dim and she saw leftover spaghetti left out on the counter. She smiled at her son's gesture and made her way to the kitchen to warm the food up. Putting the spaghetti in the microwave for about two minutes, she turned and saw a paper hanging on the fridge. She read it briefly and looked at the skies turning into a pink color.

 

P.S. If the skies are pink, I just departed! Love, Baekhyun <3

 

She sighed and snatched the paper off of the fridge, folding it back to what it originally was, and placed it in her pocket. Now she has to call Soeun, and this time she is initiating.

 

[Pink Skies]

 

It took Baekhyun two days to arrive in Bucheon and he was extremely exhausted. Even though he's exhausted, he was excited to be in a different country outside of the U.S. He has zero knowledge about Korea, but luckily he is fluent thanks to his mom and family. He pulled up Google to find his hotel and find a nearby store to buy instant ramen.

 

Once he checked in to his hotel and bought his ramen, he went to his room and cooked the ramen. His plan was to stay at the hotel for three days and two nights familiarizing the area before going to where his dad's lives, which isn't that far from the hotel.

 

When he finished making his ramen and the TV to find some dramas, his phone started to vibrate. He looked over from the bed and saw his mom's name. He took it and answered immediately. "Mom? Are you awake?" 

 

"Yeah I am. Did you arrive safely? I really can't believe you left." His mom said while yawning. 

 

Baekhyun felt guilty when he was on the plane. He knew his mom wouldn't let him out. "I'm sorry, mom. I really wanted to find him. I need him to know me."

 

"But baby I could figure it out on my own. I don't want you to get into trouble with other royal families."

 

"There's more?" Baekhyun froze.

 

"Yes, and your father is involved in a dispute with one of the families. I don't know a lot of the details, but I don't want you to go too deep with your father. It could ruin his image."

 

Baekhyun shook his head. "It may ruin his image, but it will be historical that he has a secret son that you never told. I am not only yours, mom. I am Byun Soeun's son too. How do you know this? Does he keep in contact with you? Is he the person who would call in the middle of the night?"

 

He heard his mom sigh heavily and stopped his questioning. She was shuffling around her bed and he remained silent until she spoke. 

 

"I don't want you to be involved, but whatever you do please be careful." She warned him. 

 

"Definitely, mom. I love you. Seriously." He said softly. 

 

"I love you more. Go to sleep soon." She said and hung up. 

 

Baekhyun knew that what he said was right and that telling his dad will only give him relief. He just wanted to let him be aware that he has a son and that he is an heir. His phone vibrated and it was a message from his mom. It was a photo of the sunrise with pink skies and the beautiful oceanview. Baekhyun smiled and turned his phone off. He can only hope for the best.

 

Morning came and Baekhyun found multiple places to sightsee. He went to see a stationery store first. He was able to buy colored pens for Jongin's nieces from there and made his way to a pop-up store. He snatched up some shirts for his mom and Sehun. Then he moved to a bakery store for a snack. He bought a cute yellow apron with a penguin on the front for Kyungsoo. Throughout the morning to the afternoon was mostly shopping with some breaks for meals. In the evening, Baekhyun made his way to a restaurant he found online.

 

He was seated at a table in the middle of the restaurant and opened the menu to order. There was a lot of commotion happening in the restaurant when he came in and he wasn't sure why there were so many photographers and newscasters at the place. From what he saw on reviews it was only a three star restaurant. One waiter came over to his table and he ordered his food. 

 

"Excuse me, can you tell me what is going on?" Baekhyun asked the waiter. 

 

"One of the royal members of Bucheon is here. I cannot confirm who it is." The waiter answered and tilted his head to get a look at who it was. 

 

Baekhyun was thinking that the person who was here could be his father, so he got up from his seat and stood on his toes. The photographers were blocking the person's face, which made it difficult for Baekhyun to see. It was until one of the security guards moved them away and Baekhyun saw the person. 

 

"No, that's not my dad." Baekhyun blurted. The waiter looked at Baekhyun weirdly and walked away with his order in hand. The person was a woman who Baekhyun has never seen before. Could it be his aunt? She had similar features like his dad. Does his mom know her? Baekhyun made a mental note to do more research about his dad's family. He sat back down and watched as she smiled at some journalists and made her way towards his direction. 

 

Baekhyun held his breath when she passed his table and she took a quick glance at him. He quickly looked away and she turned back around to exit the restaurant. He didn't understand why she looked back to look at him, but he assumed he was so pretty so she had to look. He spent the whole night eating until he arrived at his hotel and ended his first day.

 

[Pink Skies]

 

Baekhyun reached at the house where his dad lives at and the place is huge. He could literally sneak in and no one would know he got in. There were some people at the house trying to see certain people from the family or were touring the location. Baekhyun walked up to the gates and faced the security guard standing on the other side of the gate. 

 

"Hello! Is there a way to come in?" Baekhyun greeted with a wide grin. 

 

"Do you have an appointment?" The guard asked. 

 

"No? You had to get an appointment?" Baekhyun asked dumbfoundedly. 

 

The guard looked done with him. "No appointment means no entry." 

 

Baekhyun pressed his lips together and turned around to think about a way to get in. There was only one way.

 

It took him twenty minutes to find the perfect spot to get in without getting caught and he threw his shoes over the neatly trimmed bushes. He found a small opening in between the bushes and knew that this was the only acceptable and safe way to get in. He took one deep breath and got on his knees. "May the Lord guide me." He mumbled and began to squeeze into the small space. Fortunately he made it through and he got up with relief. He slid on his shoes and was welcomed to a garden. 

 

"Damn. I better get a free stay." He said as he knelt down and pulled his suitcase through the gap and roam around to find an entrance. 

 

[Pink Skies]

 

"Is it me, or I've seen somebody so familiar last evening at a local restaurant." Byun Somin, younger sister of Byun Soeun, asked as she sipped her morning tea. Soeun shrugged at her response and sipped his tea. "I'm serious! The child looked very familiar, Soeun. It's like I've seen that face somewhere before. He looked like you too and it scared me." 

 

Soeun stopped midway of his drink and scrunched his eyebrows together in confusion. His sister nodded her head and placed her cup down. "I know I am not crazy!"

 

"I say you are, Somin. You've been going crazy ever since the party we went to two nights ago with dad." Soeun said. 

 

During this conversation, Baekhyun passed the garden while dragging his suitcase and was in awe. The place was so huge and spacious. It was way too beautiful too. He still couldn't find any way to get into the house up to this point. He was too busy looking all around the mansion, or should he say a castle. He passed by the windows where Soeun and Somin were sitting at and a maid saw him passed. She gasped in shock and Somin looked at her. 

 

"Something wrong?" She asked and looked outside the window.

 

"I saw somebody walking outside, my lady."

 

Somin looked around and shook her head. "Nobody?"

 

Baekhyun stopped when he saw an opened window that leads to the living room and smiled when he finally found a way. He walked towards it in a hurry. 

 

"Are you sure it wasn't our gardener?" Somin asked as she got up and walked towards the window. The maid shook her head and followed her from behind. Soeun only sighed and looked down at his newspaper to see him as today's head news. It was titled Byun Soeun and His Secret Relationship? He groaned and folded the newspaper up. 

 

Baekhyun was trying to jump to reach the window, but failed due to how short he is. He tried again and still failed. He kept going until he got a scratch from the bricks and began to bleed. "Well ." He cursed out loud.

 

"Did you hear someone?" Somin asked. The maid nodded and they both headed out of the kitchen together, leaving Soeun turning around to think whether or not to follow. 

 

", , ! Where the is my emergency kit?" Baekhyun cursed as he knelt down and opened his luggage. 

 

The maid heard Baekhyun's voice outside in the hall and turned around towards the windows. She marched over and saw Baekhyun rummaging through his clothes. Somin looked over her shoulder and gasped. Baekhyun shot his head up and froze in his position with the emergency kit in his hand. 

 

"That's him! SOEUN!" Somin shouted and Baekhyun charged. He ran away from the window and the maid made a run to call security to bring him in. Security quickly ran after Baekhyun and caught him in a matter of seconds. They brought back a pouty boy and sat him down on the chair the maid had in the middle of the entrance hall. Somin examined his face and dragged her older brother, his father, to see him. 

 

"This is who I'm talking about, Soeun. Doesn't he look familiar?" 

 

Soeun looked at him up and down then back to his face. Baekhyun tried to keep his eyes on the man in front of him, his heart beating wildly against his chest as he sits before his father. 

 

"Get him taken cared of. His hand is bruised." He commanded. 

 

"W-Wait! Don't you want to know who I am?" Baekhyun squeaked. "She thinks I am familiar and I want to confirm that what she could be thinking is true." He said nervously. 

 

"I don't quite understand where you are going with this—"

 

"Byun Baekhyun! Does that have a ring to it?" Baekhyun blurted suddenly. "My name is Byun Baekhyun. I am from Santa Monica, California. I am twenty-one years old."

 

Somin's eyes widened as she kept quiet. Soeun stayed calm and listened to the kid.

 

"Okay, I'll give you more information." Baekhyun reached for his shoulder bag and pulled out a photo, a postcard, and his birth certificate. "This is my certificate. This is a postcard that you sent to my house the day of my graduation from med school and university. Supposedly you went to this university too! I graduated from med school early because I wanted to be a pediatrician right away, and since I'm smart I succeeded. Finally, I want you to take a deep breath and flip this photo."

 

He gave the man the photo and Soeun took it. He glared at the boy and flipped the photo over. It was him and his mom at the beach two years before he was born with the sky painted pink like sunrise and sunset. His sister gasped and held her excitement in while he stood still with a heart beating out of control. He looked at the boy before him and immediately saw his eyes, his nose, and his famous smile. 

 

"You, Byun Soeun, are my father." Baekhyun said slowly, struggling to hold his smile back. 

 

Soeun looked at the photo one last time and gave it back to him, earning a confused expression. "I want you to grab your belongings and get out."

 

[Pink Skies]