Champagnepapi

Byun, the Californian Prince

"L-Leave? Why leave?" Baekhyun stuttered as he held tightly onto the photo of his parents. 

 

"I am not looking forward to a scandal, although is seems to me like somebody is exposing my relationship—"

 

"RELATIONSHIP?" Baekhyun stood up, standing very closely to his dad. 

 

"Someone exposed your relationship with Martha?" Somin asked with wide eyes. Soeun groaned loudly and cupped his cheeks to calm himself down while backing up from standing closely to Baekhyun.

 

"I do that too when I'm stressed!" Baekhyun pointed. Somin ran to his side and grabbed his arm to gesture him to stop talking. "Who the is Martha?" He huffed.

 

"Watch your profanity." Soeun spat and turned his back away from Baekhyun. "Please him out. I cannot let this stranger stay here any longer." Baekhyun's eyes widened as the maid grabbed his arm and Somin stopped her by pulling her grasp off of him.

 

"He is not going anywhere! Soeun, this is your son! We will make sure this won't become a scandal." She begged. Her brother shook his head and instructed the maid to have Baekhyun out immediately. Somin had her grip around Baekhyun and he whined a bit from the sudden hold. "He is staying here! I will have this under control. Baekhyun, follow me." She instructed and told the maid to grab his things from outside. She lead the way upstairs and Baekhyun followed, looking at his dad one last time before speeding up the stairs skipping steps. His father noticed how he skipped steps and exhaled heavily.

 

Baekhyun and Somin reached the third floor and she lead him towards two doors at the end of one hall. The maid behind them followed up front and waited for her commands. "I don't care about what they say. You are going to stay here, okay? Don't worry about a thing." Somin said and pulled out a key from her dress suit. She unlocked the doors and opened them.

 

Baekhyun's eyes sparkled as he was welcomed to a master bedroom with a huge bathroom next door. He stared at the chandelier and moved his attention towards the bed. There was a huge dresser with an elegant mirror standing next to it with a white kamerscherm. The color scheme was white and cream, which are Baekhyun's two favorite colors. He stared out at the huge windows and saw the scenery of the garden. Everything was beautiful and Baekhyun felt safe.

 

"It's my favorite room in the whole mansion because the walls are sound proof and it's the biggest guest room." Somin complimented. 

 

"I don't know why you wanted me to stay." He paused, not knowing how to address her.

 

She noticed and grabbed both of his hands. "Don't be formal! You're my nephew!" She smiled widely.

 

"So I can call you aunt Somin?" Baekhyun croaked. She nodded her head and he smiled nervously.

 

"You have your dad's famous smile. I do too, but who cares about me?" She ran her thumb over her nephew's knuckles. 

 

"What? Women should be equally cared for too." Baekhyun said sternly. His aunt shrugged her shoulders and led him to the bed bench. She sat him down and she sat besides him.

 

"You know that I had a feeling you belonged to this family from where I saw you yesterday, right?" Somin asked. Baekhyun shook his head. "When I saw those eyes, I knew who you are. By your appearance, your style is exactly like your mother's. Now thinking about her, I miss her very much. She was my best friend until your father came home and our father threatened us to cut connection with her."

 

Baekhyun processed what she was saying and played with his hands on his lap, ignoring the dried blood and his cut. Why would his grandfather want to cut ties with his mom? "Even when that happened, I became very sad because your mom was everything I could ever want in a woman." She sighed.

 

"Aunt Somin, are you—" His aunt interrupted before he could finish.

 

"Yes I am, and I am very proud of it. But I have not yet announced about my, preferences, to the world." She patted the top of his hands and remembered about his wound.

 

When Baekhyun was about to argue, she gave him the key to the room and stood up. Just when she was about to call for the maid outside of the room, he stopped her. "Aunt Somin, do you know anything about my dad calling my mom?" He asked. 

 

Somin raised her eyebrows and crossed her arms. "I thought it was only the postcard that was surprising, Baekhyun. No I do not."

 

Baekhyun rubbed his arms and nodded. "O-Okay. I'm going to get settled. Thank you for everything, aunt Somin." The woman smiled for a moment and exited through the doors.

 

Somin instructed the maid to go inside and clean his cut. Once she came in, Somin marched to her brother's office.

 

Baekhyun stayed put where he was while the maid came out with a bowl of water and a towel. The emergency kit that the nurse gave back was kept closed besides him while the maid knelt down and asked for his hand. He awkwardly held her hand and he saw that she was trying not to laugh.

 

"I'm sorry," Baekhyun apologized softly, "I'm not used to being taken cared of like this. I'm not royal."

 

The maid let out a small laugh and began to clean his cut. "I never expected the new king to suddenly have a son who is very, may I say, American." Baekhyun was taken aback by her comment.

 

"Well, I am a Korean-American. That's who I am." Baekhyun said, scrunching his nose when he felt a slight sting. 

 

"With that behavior here, everyone would look down on your so-called father." She said in almost a whisper and pressed harshly on his cut. He whined at the pain and moved his hand out of her hold. She placed the bowl and towel down and picked up the bandage. She took his hand again and wrapped the cloth around it.

 

Baekhyun carefully studied her face while she wrapped the cloth around his hand. He can officially say that he hates this maid. While this was happening, Somin was sitting in her brother's office. She stared at him in the silence as he was tapping on the keyboard. As the silence was becoming too hard to bear, she finally opened . "Will you say something?"

 

"I have nothing to say about this matter." He answered plainly.

 

"You won't admit he is your son." Somin said coldly and got up from her seat. He watched her carefully as she moved over to his side and grabbed his shoulder. "Why are you calling her and sending her postcards? We are not allowed to do that."

 

"I know we aren't—"

 

"What about Martha? Dad set this up for a reason—"

 

"You and dad don't understand that this secret arranged marriage will not work for somebody who is still in love after being unreasonably told to never go back to her!" He hissed as he threw his attention towards his sister.

 

She pushed his shoulder away. "I knew it! You never loved Martha! Neither did I, but with you confirming that it makes everything lovely!"

 

"No it's not because she never mentioned this child! How could she not have told me for the past two decades, Somin?"

 

The princess shrugged. "Maybe it's because you left so suddenly. No child would ever want to know that."

 

Soeun sighed as he laid back in his chair and rubbed his temple. Somin backed away and patted his right cheek. "Process everything out, brother. Learn more about Baekhyun too. He wants to know you. Besides, he is your little prince!"

 

"Don't say that." He growled and Somin laughed. She left his office and left her brother alone. He looked at the framed photo on his desk and sighed. "Hana—" His office phone began to ring and he rolled his eyes at the sudden call. He reached over to pick it up and answered. 

 

"Soeun, we need to talk."

 

"Yes we do. We need to talk about my secret son." He chuckled lowly. 

 

"Is he safe? Is he with you? He's not answering his phone." Hana asked worriedly over the other side of the phone. "I had a feeling that he could've found you."

 

"It's funny how this is the only time you would initiate a call, and he is with me. Mainly with Somin. I cannot breathe right now."

 

"Thank God!" She exclaimed, not giving a damn about the man on the other line.

 

"Why did you hide him from me? He's my son too, Hana." Soeun asked, picking up the framed photo of her and looking at it.

 

"What do you think?" She laughed lowly. "You left me and never returned. You never started to contact me until he was only five-years-old. Do you think I want him to know about a man like you? I didn't expect you to be like that."

 

"I didn't expect you to hide something like this from me, Hana. I guess we are both hypocrites." Soeun admitted. Hana kept mum and felt offended over what he said. She mentally admitted that it was true, but she did the right thing for somebody who left suddenly and wants nothing to do with her. Not even phone calls and postcards will help her. 

 

[Champagnepapi]

 

Baekhyun got out of the bathroom in a silk robe and walked quickly to the bed. He grabbed his phone and called Jongin. He threw his phone waiting and unwrapped his bandages to get a new cloth. The line connected and he gasped. "Jongin!" He shouted while picking up the phone with his other hand. He put him on speaker and tossed his phone down. 

 

"Baekhyun! I miss you so much!" Jongin cried while faking some sniffles. 

 

"Turn on your camera. Now." Jongin immediately turned the call to FaceTime and gasped at the chandelier above the bed. "I know! I'm at my dad's house!"

 

"Oh my god, Baekhyun! Did he take you in?" Jongin asked excitedly. Baekhyun shook his head. "What? Did you sneak in then?"

 

"My aunt took me in. Her name is Somin. My dad didn't accept me yet." Baekhyun assured with a hint of doubt in his voice. He began to wrap his hand with a new bandage and whinced when he did it too tightly.

 

"Don't worry, my cousin. He will! He's only overwhelmed right now." Jongin said brightly, bringing a fist to the camera.

 

Baekhyun hummed in agreement and ran his newly bandaged hand through his now blonde hair. "Can you believe I'm a prince though? Does that even sound cute? I'll have all these royal men lined up at my door!"

 

"That is too exquisite for us Americans." Jongin laughed. "Wow, you're an American prince!"

 

"I guess I am!" Baekhyun giggled and a knock came from the door. "Come in." He shouted and the doors were open. Somin appeared at the door and walked in with a box in her hand.

 

She sat on the bed with her nephew and looked at the phone. "Who is this?" She asked. 

 

"My cousin! Jongin, this is aunt, Somin." He introduced him and Jongin greeted her. She waved at him and waited for Baekhyun to finish speaking to him. "I'll call you later, okay? I miss you!" He pouted and they both said goodbye before hanging up the call. He placed his phone down besides him and looked at the box on his aunt's lap. "What's this?"

 

"I thought that you might want to borrow your dad's vinyl. I found it in a closet along with some records." She pulled out the vinyl out of the box and Baekhyun carefully took it from her hands. He looked around the room and thought about putting in on the coffee table near his dresser. 

 

"Thank you, aunt Somin. I'll take care of this during my stay." His face brightened up as he looked through the records in the box. 

 

"You're always welcome. Do you want to eat? You never came down for dinner." Baekhyun glanced at the clock. It was only eight in the evening. "We have supper early at six. I can have the maid bring up dinner for you." She said and pulled out her phone to contact the maid. Before she could call the maid up, Baekhyun stopped her. 

 

"Is there a nicer maid? The maid caring for me was harsh on my hand and she was rude to me." The blonde frowned while touching the bandage.

 

"That's unacceptable. I'll her out and make sure she says nothing about you and your dad's 'relationship' before she leaves."

 

Speaking of relationship, before she tried to call for security, Baekhyun tapped her hand. "Who is Martha?"

 

Somin sent a text message to security and sighed at the way he said Martha's name. She does not like hearing her name, especially when it's coming from her nephew. 

 

"It's not a real relationship, but a forced one." She told him. "Believe me, your father doesn't want to be involved with her. She is a famous doctor here in Bucheon and they have been together for a few months." She watched as her nephew shuffled around on his bed, feeling uncomfortable about Martha. "It's not his choice, Baekhyun, but trust me, nobody likes her."

 

"She's a doctor though, which is pretty cool." Baekhyun complimented. 

 

"A doctor who blackmailed me for a reason I cannot let out right now." Somin whispered. Baekhyun got chills all over when he heard that. "Don't mention it to anyone. No one knows." He nodded and held out his pinky. 

 

She looked at his pinky and cracked a smile. "We don't do this here, but for you I will." She held out her pinky and they promised. The gesture reminded her of her brother and Hana when they made certain promises to each other. "Your dinner is coming up soon, so make sure to finish it. Your dad hates waste."

 

"I will. I hate waste too." Baekhyun said proudly and his aunt patted his still damp hair. She got up and left him alone with the vinyl while saying goodbye.

 

Baekhyun reached in the box and pulled out some of the records his dad owned. He pulled out old classics and known artists from the box, studying how they still looked brand new. Even the vinyl itself still looked new. He carried it to the coffee table and hooked it up in the outlet. He took one of the records and placed it down. Once everything was set, he turned it on and music started to play. It wasn't his type of music, of course, but he'll stick with it until he goes out and buy records of his own liking.

 

[Champagnepapi]

 

"Two days until inauguration, sir." The butler said as he poured out morning tea for Soeun at the dining table. Soeun let out a small smile and thanked the butler for the tea. "I was told earlier that your relationship is still away from the public eye, so do not fear anything being published, sir."

 

"Thank you very much." Soeun said and grabbed his tea. Somin came downstairs and went to the dining room and greeted her brother. She looked around and didn't see her nephew in sight. Maybe it was because it was seven in the morning. She took her usual spot at the table and was greeted by the butler.

 

"Did dad come down for breakfast yet?" Somin asked. Soeun nodded and flipped the next page of the daily newspaper. She thanked the butler for the tea and took a small sip in case it was too hot to drink. She watched as her brother kept silent and read his newspaper and the maids running back and forth with decorations for tomorrow evening's party for Soeun's inauguration. A part of her really wanted Baekhyun to be at the table and try to break the ice with her brother, yet another part wanted Baekhyun to sleep in until he is full of energy.

 

Soeun glanced up at her from his reading and sighed as he grabbed his cup. "Where is the boy?" He asked while bringing the cup to his lips.

 

"Sleeping. I am positive of that." She answered. 

 

"He should follow our routine. He isn't in California now. If he is a prince, he should follow our routine." Soeun said and folded his newspaper up and tossing it to the side. 

 

"So you consider him a prince?" Somin said with a brighter tone. He rolled his eyes at his sister and looked outside. "You see him as a prince?"

 

"Well what else is he besides an American?" Soeun asked. 

 

"A smart, young pediatrician!" Somin sipped her tea. 

 

Soeun watched as the gardeners set up the venue outside for the party tomorrow to get away from his conversation with his sister. It was true that he accepted Baekhyun as a prince, but cannot fully accept him as his son yet due to lack of other evidence. A birth certificate and a photo of himself and his mother were not enough. He wanted more to make it realistic. Not even his appearance could confirm it.

 

Somin looked through her phone to look at her schedule until something loud drew her attention to the entrance hall. She looked out in the hall and heard the music becoming louder. Soeun noticed the sound too and placed his cup down on the table. "You heard that?" He asked his sister.

 

"What is that sound?" She asked as the music became clearer when Baekhyun opened his doors. The mansion was that quiet that you could hear almost everything inside and outside of it. It was a type of music they've never heard before and it wasn't even in Korean for them to make out what it was. "I think it's rap?" She got out of her seat and walked out to the hall. 

 

Somin looked up at the third floor and Baekhyun was dancing around the stairs with his music being blasted throughout the house. She shouted his name to get his attention and Baekhyun looked down. 

 

"Oh shoot! Alexa, stop!" Baekhyun shouted and the music stopped immediately. His aunt laughed nervously and the nephew rubbed his neck. "G-Good morning, aunt Somin." He shyly greeted.

 

"Good morning, Baekhyun. May I ask what that was?" 

 

"Champagnepapi. I won't let that happen again, aunt Somin." He bowed his head as an apology and she smiled up at him. 

 

"I am not sure who that is, although I can understand what he is saying, but please keep it inside your room and keep it clean." She said and he understood. He ran back into his room and closed the doors.

 

Somin went back into the dining table and took a seat besides her brother. Soeun looked at her with a disappointed look. "Do you know who Champagnepapi is?" Soeun blinked at her and she nodded her head. "Like father like son. You both are wild when it comes to music." Her brother got up from his seat and marched out of the dining room to go to his office, leaving a grinning Somin to be by herself.

 

[Champagnepapi]

 

Somin didn't want to keep Baekhyun in the house on his first day, so she decided to take him out to shop in disguise. Baekhyun was dressed in jeans and wore a UCLA shirt because he wanted to represent his school. His aunt wore glasses and casual clothing, something not many royals could have the privilege to do. Her black hair was tied up and clipped in place. They left without security and took her car to go around shopping centers to find clothing for Baekhyun. The first stopped was at a suit boutique.

 

Baekhyun opened the door for his aunt and entered into the boutique. It was chic and classy with expensive suits in a varitey of colors hung up on hangers for display. Somin took off her glasses and waved at the woman behind the register. 

 

"Hello! I need to find some suits." She said as the woman looked at Baekhyun and gave him a questioning look. Somin noticed it and blocked him from her view. "Do you think you can give me a few neutral colored suits and dark colored suits? Measure him quickly because I have a tight schedule." The woman went right to work, forgetting about Baekhyun. 

 

Somin pushed her nephew to follow the woman with her behind and he got his measurements sorted out. Once that was done, she immediately dragged him out of the boutique and went to the next stop. She went in and ordered more clothing and went to the next store she could think of. It felt nothing like shopping to Baekhyun until they went into a store that he could shop freely. It wasn't full of suits, tuxes, or anything formal. It was something that suited his taste.

 

"You can use my card and buy whatever you want. I know you didn't bring much clothes with you because of how small your suitcase was." Somin said and gave him her credit card. He took it with trembling hands and immediately felt the guilt creeping up on him. "Don't worry about it! I am allowed to spoil you. I think those shirts behind you will look great on you."

 

Baekhyun turned around and saw the silk shirts. Immediately he fell in love and took one of the shirts his size. From there he tried on everything and bought almost a new closet of clothing that consisted of mostly oversized clothing and some fitting pants and shirts. He walked out with at least five bags worth of clothing, already wearing a blue and white button down shirt with black skinny jeans. He also put on fake earrings to complete the look and his aunt never looked so proud in her life.

 

"This is definitely better than the university shirt!" She praised him as he climbed in the passenger seat. 

 

"I owe you my life, aunt Somin." He giggled and buckled his seatbelt. He saw her reaction turn into a serious one and he laughed out loud. "Not like that, aunt Somin!" She started the engine and placed her sunglasses down. 

 

"It will take me a while to understand the way you talk, so bear with me, my nephew." She said. 

 

The radio was with classical music and Baekhyun frowned upon it. He searched through his new Balenciaga waist bag and pulled out his USB chord and inserted it in the USB outlet. He grabbed his phone and hooked it up without his aunt noticing yet. He pressed on one song and it began to play, putting his aunt off guard. 

 

"Is that—" The volume of the music became louder and Baekhyun stuck his tongue out playfully at her. 

 

"This is Champagnepapi, aunt Somin. This is just a snippet of what I listen to in the States!" 

 

His aunt never felt so pumped and energized from a song made by Drake, and it was the song that had people in Korea hopping out of their cars to dance. Throughout the whole day, they were picking up personalized clothing for Baekhyun and exploring new places to eat. Baekhyun has never felt so welcomed to be accepted by a new family member who is far from his reality, and he was beginning to like the royal treatment with a hint of his American side popping out here and there. He was truly a unique prince in the hiding.

 

[Champagnepapi]

 

"Turn him around for me." Soeun instructed as the designer of the family turned Baekhyun around in his pink suit. This was the second encounter that Soeun had with Baekhyun, this time being a little different than yesterday. There was little to no conversation between them.

 

Baekhyun looked at the baby pink suit on him at the mirror and scrunched his face cutely while puckering his lips out. He did a small pose and smile to himself at how he looked.

 

"Maybe he can wear this for the evening party tomorrow." Soeun said and asked the designer to put him in a different suit. Before the designer could do that, Baekhyun moved away from him a bit and looked at his dad.

 

"You think this is the best one?" He asked, afraid of what his dad could say. Soeun tilted his head and nodded his head. "It's a nice color on you."

 

Baekhyun looked at the designer. "You heard the king. Next suit!" He said and went behind the kamerscherm with the designer. Soeun stood up from the chair in the fitting office and whispered in the guard's ear. The guard nodded and made his way out of the room. Baekhyun's arms were in the air as the designer adjusted his pants and placed his arms down. Soeun watched as he wandered around the designer's fitting office, waiting for Baekhyun to walk out.

 

Baekhyun walked out and stood on the platform, presenting himself to his dad. His dad looked up and widened his eyes. Baekhyun saw his eyes and turned to the mirror, being welcomed in a sleek black suit with a white silky dress shirt that is plunged down and tied at his collarbones. Soeun hummed as he nodded his head thinking while Baekhyun was feeling himself in front of the mirror.

 

"What do you think, Mr. Byun"

 

"Soeun is good enough, Baekhyun."

 

Baekhyun blushed as his dad said his name for the first time and turned around to properly face him. "Is this better than the pink?"

 

Soeun pondered. "More appropriate for tomorrow. The pink is more of a dress code for tea parties or weddings. Please set this aside for tomorrow. That is all I will look at for tonight."

 

The designer bowed to the man and took Baekhyun back to change. "Soeun?" Baekhyun called, making Soeun turn his head to the kamerscherm.

 

"Baekhyun?" He answered. 

 

"If you're curious about me, search up Champagnepapi and I will give you more information about myself." Baekhyun said while stepping out of his dress pants. 

 

"Excuse me?"

 

"Trust me, you'll like it! I believe you have that side of you, Soeun." Baekhyun giggled and removed the silky shirt off of him. Soeun blinked multiple times at the sudden request and made his way out of the office flabbergasted. Baekhyun giggled more and got dressed in his pajamas.

 

"You're a unique prince, Baekhyun." The designer grinned. Baelhyun couldn't agree more with the man. "The prince used to be really funny until he came back and turned into who he is today from what I was informed. I've worked under him since I was only fifteen."

 

"What's your name? I'm tired of calling you designer." Baekhyun asked while blinking cutely at the man.

 

"My name is Kim Jongdae, and I am one year younger than you, Baekhyun." Jongdae said, bowing his head. Baekhyun smiled while holding his hand out, confusing the younger as he scratched his short brown hair.

 

"In America, we typically shake hands with someone we meet. I hope this doesn't come out as rude towards you." Baekhyun said. Jongdae shook his head and held his hand, slightly shaking it.

 

"I am not offended. In fact, I am curious about your culture. You act like your father, but your aura is still quite foreign to me." Jongdae said.

 

Baekhyun thought for a second before smiling mischieviously. "Do you know Champagnepapi?" When Jongdae shook his head, he immediately held his hand properly and dragged him out of his office to the third floor.

 

While the two were going towards Baekhyun's room, Soeun was in his office searching up who Champagnepapi is. He clicked on one link that directed him to YouTube and the video began to play. Soeun's eyes widened as he listened to the words and feeling the beat of the song. He caught himself feeling the vibe and immediately exited out of YouTube. His door was busted open by his sister, who was in her pajamas, and she had earphones in her ear.

 

"Do you hear this?" She flashed her phone with a whole playlist of Drake's music shown to him. Soeun closed his eyes as his sister sings along to one of his songs and left his office. Soeun knew that he is in for one hell of a ride, and it's not only involving Drake.

 

[Champagnepapi]