Mango Szn

Byun, the Californian Prince

"." Yixing cursed once he saw Baekhyun read the message on LINE. ", , ." The number he was using was Chanyeol's, but the problem was he accidentally copied the wrong message and pasted it to Baekhyun very quickly. He didn't noticed until it was sent.

 

Chanyeol, who was playing a game on his PS4, heard the elder curse and paused. He looked at Yixing at the dining area and plopped the controller on his lap. "What did you do?"

 

Yixing forced a smile and waved his phone in the air. "I got it, Yeol. Continue your 2K game." He managed to get Chanyeol to resume his game, but he received some glares before he was distracted once again. Yixing knew that he has no way out of this now because of what he sent. He can't let Chanyeol know either because he has to keep his identity at a low-profile, although he exposes his name out. It wasn't a problem since there could be a lot more Park Chanyeols in the world. Besides, Chanyeol doesn't look like who he was before so that was a plus.

 

"Did Baekhyun respond? You are horrible at being a wingman." Chanyeol asked.

 

"Did you just admit to something?" Yixing asked with a small grin growing on his face. 

 

"That's too soon to say." Chanyeol admitted as he started moving his thumbs furiously on the controller.

 

Yixing scoffed. "If you say so. He has not responded."

 

For Chanyeol, he did not expect to constantly think about the tiny, pink-haired boy. Ever since the night they had a real conversation, Chanyeol couldn't stop thinking about those brown orbs. Even the cute mole above his lips was attractive to wonder about sometimes. He found it odd because he couldn't really tell what the feeling was. He wouldn't assume it was a small attraction because he has never experienced love. It was true in both romantically and a family way. From all he could even remember, he has never felt sincere love. The only love he has experienced was from his older sister, Yoora, Jongdae, and Yixing. But what about his parents?

 

"Chanyeol," Yixing called, "I think you should change your number."

 

"What?" Chanyeol paused his game and got off of the floor to go towards Yixing. "Why do I have to change it? Is someone contacting me?"

 

Yixing gawked at him for a bit until he made up the perfect excuse. "Someone from the main office tried to contact you."

 

Chanyeol rolled his eyes and took his phone out of his hold. "Did you delete the message?" Yixing nodded. "What did they say?"

 

"The usual. 'Is this Prince Park Chanyeol?'"

 

Chanyeol whinced at his title. "I can't believe I'm a prince. Even though I grew up as one, it still doesn't sound fitting."

 

"Yeah because you—" Yixing gulped, catching himself with loss of words. "You wanted to run away." He didn't lie.

 

Chanyeol nodded. "I did, and here I am!" Yixing inwardly praised himself for saving him from spilling something horrible. Not only was Jongdae the only one who knows of this secret, but Yixing happens to know of it too. Jongdae and Yixing were close friends since elementary and middle school. They drifted apart when Jongdae went to work for the Byuns and Yixing moved back to China to take care of his own family. Yixing was a temporary transfer student since he was a child, and through Jongdae he met Chanyeol. Both didn't get along at first because Chanyeol was at a point in his life where things happened and Yixing assumed he was sick. Little did he know that something was happening, but that isn't the problem now!

 

"Can I still borrow your phone?" Yixing asked, extending his hand out towards the phone. "I want to hear your recordings." Chanyeol gave him his phone and walked back to continue his game. Yixing tried to drive his attention off of the text message incident and made a mental note to change Chanyeol's number later on in the day.

 

[Mango Szn]

 

"The number is not reachable anymore." Baekhyun said as he deleted the conversation with Chanyeol's number. "Isn't that weird? Why would someone in the Parks send that to me? Couldn't it been a mistake?"

 

"Probably. I thought it was Chanyeol trying to contact you." Jongdae said as he was hanging up outfits in Baekhyun's closet. "If it was him, you know I'll be up on your about it." Baekhyun giggled and closed the novel he was reading. Jongin came into the room from the bathroom and plopped down on Baekhyun's bed. Jongdae closed the closet and made his way to the edge of the bed.

 

"Do you want to do something that is part of a royal routine?" Jongdae asked suddenly. Jongin perked his head up and faced Baekhyun to answer the question. "I noticed that throughout your whole stay, you've done nothing of what people do here on a daily basis."

 

Jongin started tugging on Baekhyun's arm. "Remember how you always wanted to ride a horse?? WE can do that NOW!" He raised his voice with excitement. Baekhyun rolled his eyes and tugged his arm away from his cousin. "Baek, come on! We can finally go horseback riding!"

 

Baekhyun whined and lied flat on his bed. "Do you not see how early it is right now?" Both of the boys turned their head to the clock in the room and huffed. Baekhyun looked at it and whined more. "It's almost eleven! I want to sleep in!"

 

"Baekhyun!" Jongin cried while shaking Baekhyun's body. "You can rest later! Let's go!"

 

"You're so ing annoying, Jongin!" Baekhyun whined as he flipped his body over and buried his face under the fluffy pillows. 

 

"You're both annoying. Go change into something comfortable and light and meet me in the garden." Jongdae directed and got off the bed to leave the room to change. Jongin slapped Baekhyun's and earned a yelp from the smaller. He jumped off and went to the edge of the bed where Baekhyun's feet is. He grabbed both of his ankles and started dragging him towards him. 

 

As soon as they got dressed and Baekhyun was dragged out of the house, they made their way to an area to horseride. When Baekhyun was younger, his mom would sometimes take him to farms if she chose to not take him to the beach to play. To ride a horse was something he wanted to do with his dad besides collecting seashells and making sandcastles. He didn't know the exact reason why he wanted to ride a horse with his dad, but he thought it'd be an honor. Especially when his dad is a king and rides a horse when he wants to. 

 

The boys arrived at the private session and were directed to the open field where the three horses were waiting. The maids who assist Baekhyun were standing under the shady area and so were two people. First thing that Baekhyun noticed were the two people besides the maids. They looked awfully familiar to him. It was like he've seen them at the inaugurational ceremony. In fact, he was right.

 

"Baekhyun!" The man about the age of seventy called out with a wave. Baekhyun's mind clicked and he started jogging towards his grandfather, Byun Woo. His grandfather pulled him in for an embrace, making Baekhyun surprised at the action. Baekhyun carefully placed his arms around him and met eyes with his great grandmother, the mother of Byun Woo and grandmother of Byun Soeun, Byun Hyesung.

 

Woo released his grandson and directed him to his mother. She, too, embraced him with open arms. He hugged back cautiously, afraid to squeeze her little form. Jongdae smiled at the interaction and Jongin was close to tears. For all of his life with his cousin, he has never seen Baekhyun receiving so much love from his dad's side. He always prayed that one day Baekhyun could get what he deserved, and now his prayers are answered.

 

"You are so beautiful, my great grandson." Hyesung said as she backed away and cupped his face. "I am so blessed to finally meet you after finding out who you are."

 

Her voice was soft like a whisper. It was a voice made to tell lullabies or to sing as how Baekhyun replayed her voice in his head. He let out a smile and she cooed. "We must get to know each other. I don't have much time left."

 

"Mother!" Woo whined. Hyesung let out a giggle and grabbed Barkhyun's hand in between her hands and patted it. "She is very healthy and has plenty of time left. Please, Baekhyun, talk to us when you are done horseriding." He said with a nod.

 

"I will come back, grandfather and great grandmother. Please enjoy your time." Once he gave them a final smile and walked back to where Jongdae and Jongin were, he remembered one thing that Somin told him. His grandfather threatened her and his dad to cut ties with his mom. The same man he encountered was also that man he heard from Somin. He started to wonder about why he would do such a thing and why he would think of his mom as a bad person.

 

He approached his two maids and they bowed their heads. "My prince, here is your horse. Her name is Byul." Baekhyun looked at the horse and started petting her. "She is one of the nicest horses here. You will love her just like how your father does."

 

"I will take care of her." Baekhyun said softly as he ran his fingers through her hair.

 

Byul was a beautiful horse with white hair. Baekhyun had never seen such a beautiful horse who is clean unlike what he've seen in the farms back at his home. She was so gentle towards him too as she leaned into his touches and allowed him to pet her more. There was something about Byul that warmed Baekhyun's heart. He was assisted up and settled on top. Jongdae and Jongin followed suit and were ready for Baekhyun to start. The maids gave Baekhyun safety rules and instructions to guide his horse and advised him to remain calm before letting him go.

 

Baekhyun turned his head around and smiled at his great grandmother and his grandfather on the bench. "You guys ready?" He asked the boys and they both nodded. Baekhyun gently patted Byul and she began to move in one direction out on the field.

 

As the three boys were moving farther away from everyone, a figure made its way to where Woo was and sat down right besides him. He turned his head and smiled brightly at her. "You're back!" Exclaimed the man. The woman giggled and turned her focused to Baekhyun in the distance.

 

[Mango Szn]

 

Chanyeol unlocked the door of Yixing's (his temporary home) home and stepped inside with bags full of groceries. It was about time that they had actual food for once instead of feeding off of leftovers. It was only two in the afternoon and he woke up three hours ago just to get up, get bothered with Yixing and the phone number incident, and leave the house at twelve for grocery shopping. He placed his glasses on top of his head, removed the fake nose piercing, tossed his hat on the hook at the door, and started jogging towards the kitchen. Placing the bags down, he immediately stripped off his hoodie and revealed his fluff ball of hair (this is how Chanyeol looks). He took a deep breath and placed his hoodie over his shoulder. He needs a nap.

 

Yixing finally got him a new phone number after what had happened. It turns out that his number still had 0614 in it, and it was a shock to Chanyeol. He thought of it as good luck. That same number was also his locker number in high school, which was something Chanyeol found shocking to remember. He doesn't remember a lot of things. If he was asked about his past, all he can say is his birthday, his sister, his schools, and his dream to produce music. Other than that, nothing else. 

 

When he came back, Yixing already left to do his royal duties around Seoul. Later on in the evening he has to return to China for a few days before coming back to his second home with Chanyeol as his temporary roommate. This was a daily thing for Chanyeol: eat, sleep, play, produce, repeat. In fact, he just remembered he has a gig tonight at a gay bar.

 

"I need to store these away." He mumbled and began taking the food out and putting them in the fridge or in cabinents. Once he was done, he immediately made his way to his bedroom and shut the door locked. Even when he is alone he still locks the door. It was a natural habit of his and he didn't know how it started. It may be normal to others, but he cannot stand unlocked doors whenever he is alone. With others, he can tolerate. By himself? Never.

 

He took off the cardigan he had on and revealed his toned arms. He ran his finger along the guitar tattoo and looked at his Loey tattoo on his left hand inner middle finger. They were the only tattoos he got recently, and they hurt like a . He almost passed out and cried during the procedure. After examining his fully healed tattoos, he looked at himself in the mirror and lifted his shirt up. His abs were barely forming at the moment.

 

"Maybe I need to borrow Yixing's trainer." He said to himself and put his shirt down. "I need a nap!" He moaned and threw himself on his bed face down. He honestly didn't want to finish his unfinished songs anyways.

 

[Mango Szn]

 

Two hours later, Yixing arrived back at his house and noticed how quiet it was. He didn't hear Chanyeol playing in his personal studio or see him in the kitchen or the living room. At times like these, Yixing would be extremely worried because either Chanyeol was out or he is locked in his own room sleeping. When Chanyeol doesn't inform him about his whereabouts or his schedule, he would go crazy because who knows if he would get caught. Taking in deep breaths, Yixing took out his phone and called Chanyeol. The chicken ringtone rang in his own room and he sighed of relief. 

 

"Thank God for his dumb ringtone." He muttered and made his way to the door of his room. 

 

He cleared his throat and knocked on the door. No response. He pressed his ear against the door and he heard soft snoring on the other side. Shaking his head, he knocked on the door again, but this time a bit louder. Still not response. He knocked against the door harder and louder, but not stopping this time. "Chanyeol? Open the door. Please."

 

On the other side of the door, Chanyeol flinched at the sound of the knockings on the door in his sleep and he hugged himself unconsciously. Although Yixing wasn't knocking on the door so loud that it sounded like he was next to the door, the knocking was echoing in his head and the sound began to grow louder. Chanyeol's heart began to beat faster than normal and he was sweating. His body also began to shake and he was whimpering a little bit. The knocking soon turned into loud banging and he could hear yelling behind the door. 

 

Chanyeol, open the door!

Chanyeol, unlock this door right now!

Don't make me count to three, you little !

 

"S-Stop it... Leave me alone..." Chanyeol whispered as he suddenly felt hot. "Don't come near me..."

 

You piece of !

Break this door open!

PARK CHANYEOL!

 

Chanyeol began screaming as soon as Yixing unlocked the door and witnessed him in his state. The elder ran to his side as fast as he could and shook his awake.

 

"CHANYEOL! CHANYEOL, WAKE UP! IT'S ME!" Yixing shouted over the screams while pinning Chanyeol's arms down on the bed. The taller's body was drenched in sweat and his eyes were wide awake. Tears were running out of his eyes and his breathing was uneven. "You had a nightmare." Yixing whispered.

 

"T-The same one." Chanyeol choked. "Why does it keep occuring? Why did it felt so—"

 

"Real?" Yixing knows. "I know. Maybe you should have some more fun. You have been a little pressured." 

 

Chanyeol quickly nodded his head. "I should do that. Starting tonight with my gig." Yixing agreed and let go of Chanyeol's arms. "Thank you for waking me up. That was terrible." He said as he sat up and ran to the bathroom. Yixing didn't know how long he was going to have these nightmares, especially when they were becoming more vivid each time it occurs.

 

[Mango Szn]

 

"How old is my dad again?" Baekhyun asked as he stared at the sun while standing besides his horse.

 

"Forty-three. I remember because your mother is thirty-nine becoming forty soon, am I correct?" Jongdae answered, causing Baekhyun to look at him with wide eyes.

 

"How do you know my mom's age?"

 

"Somin talked about her once. She used to be her 'close friend' until King Woo demanded the whole family to cut all ties."

 

"That is exactly what I want to know!" Baekhyun gasped, clasping his hands together. "Can you tell me what he did that? My mom is not a bad person!"

 

Jongdae stiffened up and stopped brushing his horse's hair. He should've kept quiet because once the elder talks, he will demand to get his answer. He sighed and shook his head. "Just know that your mom did nothing wrong. She was wrongly labeled. I will not go any deeper." Jongdae climbed on top of his horse and Baekhyun faced him.

 

"Why would somebody do that?" Baekhyun croaked.

 

"To ruin what the future was going to bring." Jongdae said and started going back to where Jongin was with the maids. Baekhyun exhaled deeply and followed Jongdae from behind with thoughts lingering throughout his mind.

 

Baekhyun saw his grandfather wave at him, gesturing him to come to him, and Baekhyun made his way over. He stopped right in front of him and got off of his horse. 

 

"Did you have a great time? The place is beautiful, isn't it?" Woo asked with a smile. Baekhyun nodded in agreement and looked down at the plate of chopped mangoes. Woo noticed and offered his grandson. "These just arrived! July is right around the corner and this time is the best for purchasing mangoes. Try some, Baekhyun." He fed one into Baekhyun's mouth and smiled widely as Baekhyun's face lit up.

 

"That is delicious!" He exclaimed.

 

"You can thank me!" 

 

Baekhyun and Woo faced in the direction of where the voice came from and it was the woman Baekhyun forgot all about: Martha, the famous doctor in Bucheon who blackmailed Somin and is in a secret arranged marriage with his dad. She had beautiful gold curls and wine-colored stained lips. Her form was beautiful too. The only thing that throws Baekhyun off was she was set to marry his dad after a few months of dating. To Baekhyun, she was suspicious. What could she use against his aunt for? Martha made her way towards Baekhyun and bowed her head towards Woo.

 

"Good afternoon, my King. Good afternoon to my soon-to-be son!" She said cheerfully with a huge smile plastered on her face. "Goodness, he has my honey's smile!" Martha approached Baekhyun and pulled him in for an embrace. Even the sudden interaction was throwing him off. "I have never met an American before. This is such an honor! Please, have more mango!"

 

He never got the chance to speak as he was constantly being fed mango by Martha. She never allowed him to answer any of her questions either because all she did was assume things about him. Even insults him softly by calling him incompatible for the throne because of his American mannerism or exposing too much of his preferences through his body language. She was exactly what Somin told him: nobody likes her, except his grandfather.

 

[Mango Szn]

 

Sitting at the bar surrounded by gay strippers, Chanyeol stared at his clean conversation with Baekhyun. He sighed and tried to compose a message after performing the same covers on stage with different people.

 

[+0614: I think I need more gummy bears, Baekhyun :P]

 

"That will freak him out." He mumbled under his breath. A bartender slid a drink towards him and Chanyeol peeked his head up. He looked at the yellow drink and looked at the bartender. He shrugged his shoulders and took a sip of the drink. His face scrunched up and he let out a satisfied 'ahh' after one sip. The bartender came over and motioned him to come closer.

 

"On the house. Mango Szn." He said and slid him another glass.

 

Because of that drink, he finally had an idea of what to text Baekhyun.

 

Meanwhile, as Chanyeol was slowly getting addicted to the drink, Baekhyun was sitting his a tub full of bubbles and received a message from LINE. He took his phone and opened the message, grabbing a piece of mango off the plate besides the tub.

 

[+0614: Baekhyun, happy mango szn. This is Chanyeol by the way. Also this is my new number.]

 

Choking on his piece of mango, Baekhyun dropped his phone in the bath water and gasped out loud. He picked his phone up and sighed of relief. "Oh my God. Mango season just got BETTER!"

 

[Mango Szn]