0614

Byun, the Californian Prince

Chanyeol bit his lip when Baekhyun said his name. "Byun Baekhyun? That's a cute name." He complimented as he let go of his hand. Baekhyun began to sweat underneath his hoodie as he took his hand back and clasped his hands together on his lap. His bottom lip was trapped between his teeth as his eyes were now focused on the concrete ground. He could feel Chanyeol's stare still on him, waiting for him to speak.

 

"The name doesn't ring a bell?" Baekhyun asked, inwardly praying that the prince doesn't know a thing. Chanyeol shook his head honestly, making him cheer inwardly to himself in his mind. There was a small moment of silence between them until Chanyeol scooted himself closer to the smaller.

 

"Are you a known person?" The giant asked. Baekhyun shook his head, trying his best not to blush. "Tourist? No one here shakes hands." For that he nodded.

 

Baekhyun pulled on the sleeves of his hoodie over his hands and stared at his shoes. "I'm from California. Santa Monica to be exact. I'm visiting for," say a lie, "my job?" He said uncertainly. "I'm a pediatrician." That he did not lie.

 

"You look too young to be one." Chanyeol chuckled, making Baekhyun's heart melt. Even the wrinkles at his eyes were going to be the death of him.

 

"I studied early." He managed to say.

 

The taller leaned back on the bench and nodded. He rummaged through his bookbag and took out a brown paper bag. It appears to be a fast food bag and he took out a burger. Baekhyun side eyed him as he ate his ramen and nearly choked seeing him take a bite.

 

"This is my only meal. I barely eat since I have no money." Chanyeol said in between chews. "I don't have a job and honestly, I don't know what I'm doing."

 

Baekhyun knew that this man had money because of who is really is, but what he also knew was that he is on his own with no support for God knows how long. Besides, why would a total "stranger" talk to him like a well-known friend? Is he that friendly of a person? Perhaps, a prince? The smaller looked into his bag for snacks to offer and took out a pack of sour gummies, extending his hand out towards him. Chanyeol looked down and met eyes with the smaller.

 

"You made it seem as if I'm poor." He cracked a smile, taking the gummies out of his hand and bowing acceptingly. "Thank you, Baekhyun."

 

The pink boy shrugged and continued eating. "Friendly gesture." He said, trying to hide his face by looking away towards the Han River and the bridge.

 

Chanyeol placed the gummies besides him and finished his burger while Baekhyun tried to calm himself down. His phone in his pocket was constantly vibrating, indicating that someone was trying to contact him at the moment but he knew if he looked he would have to flee. He ignored the call and looked in Baekhyun's direction. His pink strands were escaping the hold of the purple hoodie as the small breeze swept it out. Chanyeol even took the time to study his side. He noticed that his cheeks were sticking out naturally and his lips were plump. His eyelashes were long too. One other thing he noticed was his cute nose. Honestly, Chanyeol didn't know what was happening, but whatever it was he felt pretty pleasant about it. It was something new and something warm to him.

 

"Chanyeol, what are you exactly?" Baekhyun asked with his eyes still fixed on the bridge. "You always have that guitar whenever I see you, but is that all you are?"

 

Chanyeol shifted in his position, trying to collect his words at the sudden approach. "I guess I can consider myself a musician, yet I feel like I am going nowhere with my talent. If I didn't come to this point, I would be stuck with my parents." He said honestly with a hint of irritation at the thought of his parents.

 

"Is that a problem?" Baekhyun asked again, this time facing him with sparkling eyes filled with curiosity. Seeing those eyes made Chanyeol flustered. "Being with your parents? Did they disapprove of you?"

 

Clearly Baekhyun wanted to know more about him but in a way that makes him get an insight about his life as an ex-royal. Even with the question bringing up his parents, he wanted to know although he felt as if he was being too fast.

 

"T-They disapproved," the giant stuttered, "but they still supported." He lied.

 

Baekhyun took it as a sign to stop and backed off of his investigation. Chanyeol tossed his trash in the bin besides him and threw his arms behind his head, leaning back on the bench with his eyes glued on Baekhyun.

 

"Are you cold? Remove this." He said as he pulled down Baekhyun's hoodie, revealing the messy mop of pink hair. "I don't know why you have to hide. Is Jongdae acting up?" He chuckled as his eyes made their way to look at his soft pink hair. 

 

The smaller shook his head and tried his best to study Chanyeol's face more clearly without becoming giggly. "You know I'm friends with Jongdae?"

 

"I saw you wasted with him. I even texted him to meet you but I guess God led us towards each other somehow." The giant explained. "Jongdae is my friend since birth. He started acting indifferent when he began being apart of a royal family. I really don't keep up with that though. Do you know anything about the royals?" Chanyeol blabbered, making Baekhyun feel uncomfortable as the younger was tugging his hoodie up to cover his hair.

 

"Why ask a foreigner?" Baekhyun saved himself. Chanyeol shrugged.

 

"Wouldn't a foreigner know something about it? I guess nobody cares." Chanyeol sighed and ruffled his black hair, showing off the waviness underneath his hoodie. 

 

Baekhyun's eyes sparkled as he took in the sight. He spotted a small tattoo on his finger and gulped. This dude has a tattoo on his left middle finger. What else could he have? Earrings? More tattoos? The feeling in his stomach began to bother him and Baekhyun began to rub his belly once he put down his ramen.

 

Why is he so attractive? He thought to himself.

 

Baekhyun's phone began to vibrate and he quickly took it out to see the caller. He frowned immediately when he saw Jongdae's name on the screen. He sighed and looked at the giant. "Hey, I have to take this real quick. I think I'm needed home." He told him as he got up and took the call when he was far from Chanyeol. "What's wrong, Jongdae?"

 

"I need you at the hotel. It's important."

 

"What happened?" Baekhyun asked with concern.

 

"Park is all over the news right now so I need you to hurry because someone starts speculating rumors about you!"

 

Baekhyun frowned harder. Why would people start rumors with him when he just came into the world of royalty and social media fame? "But— okay fine. I'll be back in five."

 

While Baekhyun was in his call at a safe distance, Chanyeol took out his vibrating phone and picked it up. "Yixing? What's with the constant calls?" He hissed.

 

"I need you back home. You're all over the news. People are suspecting you of lingering around here, which is true."

 

"I can't leave now. I'm talking to somebody." Chanyeol said as he took a quick glance at the smaller.

 

"What do you mean? You know what don't tell me. Just come home now." Yixing hung up the phone as he saw Chanyeol standing outside of a club appear on the TV.

 

Chanyeol and Baekhyun ended their calls and looked at each other at the same time. Chanyeol grabbed his stuff and walked towards him, causing Baekhyun to stiffen when he appeared in front of him. The height distance was too perfect.

 

The taller placed his hoodie up and stuffed his hands in his pockets. "Everything okay with you?" He asked.

 

"Not so much. I have to finish something at home." Baekhyun lied. "What about you? I saw you on a phone call." Chanyeol chuckled as he looked around his surroundings to make sure he was safe before bending down towards the younger at eye level. He fished out his phone and had a stupid smile on his face.

 

"I, too, have to go home, so may I have your number?" Chanyeol asked with a hint of nervousness. Baekhyun bit his lip while smiling and nodded his head, taking the Samsung phone out of his hand and typing in his number. He called it and felt his phone vibrating in his pocket.

 

"Nice to finally talk, Chanyeol." Baekhyun said softly, patting his hand when he gave him his phone back, touching the same hand he touched the first time.

 

The giant smiled at him as he straightened himself up. "Same goes for you, Baekhyun."

 

After waving goodbye and Baekhyun taking his good time to watch the giant shrink into the distance, he immediately bursted into small giggles and bright smiles for getting his enemy's number and being able to talk to him. The night easily became one of the best nights he had in his life, until he came back to the hotel and saw himself on the news with his face blurred out.

 

"Unbelievable! How long has he been back?" Somin asked, pointing at the TV. "Did Barcelona not want him any longer?"

 

"He lived in Barcelona?" Baekhyun asked surprisingly.

 

Somin pursed her lips and nodded frantically. "He ran away there. He was there for a year, or that's maybe all that we know because what if it's a lie. Why would he be back in his territory for?" She continuously asked, trying to find her answers about the prince.

 

Baekhyun sat in silence as he stared at the screen of the photo of Chanyeol and him on the bench together. It was the first photo of them together, and to be honest, Baekhyun was digging it. Now he could see how they would look together and he was proud of how well they seemed to look. Even though his face was blurred out.

 

"Some officials are claiming that he recently came back and was seen in Bucheon." One of the men said to Somin. Somin raised a hand to and threw her leg over her left leg.

 

"How sudden. Does he feel regret? Why in our territory? What business does he have there?"

 

Jongdae focused his attention on Baekhyun as he continued to stare at the screen. He knew something was off because by looking at the socks of the man blurred out in the photo, Baekhyun's socks matched the man. Even the purple hoodie matched and nobody noticed it but himself. Jongdae quickly got up and tapped Baekhyun to follow him, leaving Somin alone with the guards in the living room. Jongdae led him into his room and closed the door shut, not forgetting to lock it behind.

 

"You met him." Jongdae croaked.

 

Baekhyun immediately began to sweat under his hoodie. "On accident! I will admit to you. It was an accident."

 

"You're lucky the men who took those photos didn't recognize you!" Jongdae hissed at the elder, making him cower in fear. "If they knew, you would be so dead."

 

Baekhyun bowed his head down feeling terrified. "I know I would! I just didn't expect this whole thing to be a big deal!" He straightened himself up and began to take off his hoodie, leaving him in a graphic shirt.

 

"Well it is because his family is number one and everyone looks up to them! They were so perfect until he decided to disappear and go underground with a failing career."

 

"Jongdae, he is achieving what he wants though!" Baekhyun fought back. "He may be unhappy, but he is still glad that he is doing what he wants to do."

 

The younger clicked his tongue and folded his arms across his chest as he leaned against the door frame. "There is so much that you don't know about him, and his parents are not what you think." Jongdae said sternly.

 

"What's wrong with them? You just said they are highly looked upon." Baekhyun pursed his lips.

 

"That's what the public eye sees. What we see though? Pure torture behind the curtains." The younger's eyes widened and he closed his eyes in regret.

 

Baekhyun felt goosebumps all over his body when he took the new information in. "What does that mean?"

 

Jongdae knew he was on thin ice if he were to let out the truth about Chanyeol's parents. Nobody but himself knew the truth. Not even the Byuns know. No one in this system knew who the Parks were. Realizing what he just let out to Baekhyun, he covered it up with a small smile and got off the door frame.

 

"You'll know when the time is right." Jongdae exhaled, rubbing his temples before going towards Baekhyun and having him sit on the bed besides him.

 

"Even for a family like his, everything isn't normal. To be completely and fully honest, he isn't the bad guy." Jongdae admitted. "He never was."

 

Baekhyun scrunched his eyebrows together. "Why do you dislike him then?"

 

"To get you away from this mess. But turns out you found him on your own, so what I have to do now is to prevent it more. Therefore," Jongdae held his hand, "you can't be with him. No exceptions."

 

Looking at his hand extended, Baekhyun knew that this was a promise that has to be made. He stared at the younger with pleading eyes as he kept his hands on his lap and shook his head. "I don't want this." He said firmly. "You said he's not the bad guy in this situation, which means he ran away for a good reason. It wasn't only because of something he wanted. It was his parents."

 

"Baekhyun, stop it."

 

"I will not stay away from him. I will not promise you whether you like it or not. You know he is a good person."

 

Jongdae sighed deeply. "I should've kept quiet." He got up and went to his luggage to pull out new clothes for Baekhyun. When he took out a pair of shorts and a lilac colored oversized shirt, he tossed it at him and Baekhyun took them. "Whatever you do," he looked at him with genuine eyes, "don't get caught. I'll help you."

 

"You're actually letting me?" Baekhyun asked.

 

"Don't make me regret this and take it back." Baekhyun immediately nodded his head and ran to the bathroom to change his clothes. Jongdae plopped his back down on his bed and covered his eyes with his left arm. He was glad that he saved himself, but he knew that whatever he knew was going to get out someday. The chances of that now increased because now Baekhyun has an idea. He heard Baekhyun come out from the bathroom and raised his head up to see him with his clothes balled up in his hands.

 

"I'll return your clothes tomorrow. I have to hide these in my bag." Baekhyun addressed. 

 

Just as he made his way to the door, he opened his mouth. "Thank you for supporting me, but whatever you know about Chanyeol, I'm going to find out later. I guarantee you that whatever it is, you could be posing as a big threat to my family." Jongdae hovered his arm over his eyes as fear took over his body. "Yet I still trust you. Don't mess with me, Jongdae. Good night." Then Baekhyun left.

 

[0614]

 

"I don't think you can keep running away and hide any longer." Yixing said bluntly. "If they caught you once, they can do it again. They know what you look like." Yixing turned off the TV and tossed the remote control on the couch. Chanyeol directed his eyes towards the elder and stopped writing on his music sheet. "They caught you at the club you were performing at too."

 

"I know." Chanyeol croaked. "I know everything. I have to be more careful."

 

Yixing scoffed. "Careful? You've been doing so well until you decided to come back from Barcelona." The elder made his way to his kitchen and went straight to the fridge. "I made sure you were safe over there. I made sure you were safe commuting from Seoul to Bucheon. Now you're not safe anymore. They can easily pin you down and have your parents—"

 

Chanyeol got up from the couch and faced the elder. "Yixing, I know and I am sorry, okay? You knew I had to come back here at one point. My career over in Barcelona is dead!"

 

"It sure was and you thought you could do just as good here." Yixing took out leftover food and closed the fridge. "Chanyeol, you have to turn yourself in if you can't do this well. Your career here isn't that smooth either." The fact that what he was saying at the moment was honestly the truth and Chanyeol knew he was right. Even by performing in disguise, he wasn't getting the attention he deserved. He wasn't paid well, not treated well, and not given the opportunity to play his own songs. Despite those, he still held onto hope, although hope can be evil sometimes.

 

The elder placed his leftover food in the microwave and looked at the giant standing at the counter with his arms acrossed his chest with a small pout. He his lips and leaned against the counter behind him.

 

"You should kniw that I am still going to keep this up with you. Either way we are going to get caught and you know that." Chanyeol nodded. "If you want to keep running, then do it. I'm with you. If you want to go back, I'm with you on that too." The microwave stopped operating and Yixing turned around to get his food.

 

Chanyeol watched as he got his food and went to the dining table silently. He looked at the time and saw that it was now one in the morning. His stomach growled and he immediately went to the fridge. He opened it and took out leftover pasta and a sandwich. The giant went to warm up the pasta and unwrapped the sandwich to eat as he waited. Yixing glanced up from time to time as he ate his noodle soup to check on him and noticed him devouring the sandwich.

 

"Don't stress eat. You know where that will lead you." Yixing said. Chanyeol stopped eating midway and his eyes landed on the pack of cigarettes on the coffee table. He sighed and nodded his head. "You've been keeping up a good amount of days avoiding them."

 

"I was helping us get rid of the amount of leftovers we had. Besides, we need a home cooked meal." Chanyeol tossed the balled up foil in the trash below the counter and took his pasta out of the microwave. "So I am doing a good thing." He came over to sit across from the elder and locked eyes with him.

 

"I really want to laugh, but I'm still pissed with you." Yixing said with a straight face.

 

Chanyeol sighed. "Trust me, Yixing. Everything will be fine." He reassured with a small smile. "Now hurry up so you can sleep. You have meetings tomorrow."

 

[0614]

 

Baekhyun woke up to Somin banging on his door to wake up to go back home to Bucheon. He made everyone late due to how slow he was taking his time to get ready, but somehow managed to make it on time for their private flight. Jongdae took his seat in front of Baekhyun and Somin sat next to her nephew. They were settling down before the time of the flight waiting for the pilot to come in. Somin took out her phone to check her schedule while Jongdae reached over the table and picked up a magazine. Baekhyun only stared outside of the window. He was wondering about Chanyeol and remembering what happened last night. He wondered if he was okay, if he had an appropriate meal, if he slept well, and if he was thinking about texting him anytime soon. It was really stupid to think of such things, but he couldn't help it if he was in love.

 

Somin noticed how he looked sentimental while looking out of the window and turned her phone off. "What's wrong, my nephew?" She asked while throwing her arm around him and hugging him against her.

 

"Missing home." Baekhyun half lied. "I miss seeing Soeun too." Right when he mentioned his dad, his mind shifted its attention towards him. How was he? Did he miss him? He began to grow more curious about his dad back at home. How was Jongin? Was he doing fine by himself?

 

While the three were waiting on their plane, Soeun and Jongin were home alone with the maids. Jongin ate his cereal in silence as Soeun was reading the newspaper. Since Baekhyun was out, the past days were a bit quiet in the house. On the bright side, Jongin did something good.

 

Baekhyun left early in the morning right when Jongin woke up. Even for the past few days of being in Korea, Jongin was still not adjusted to the timezone difference. He would sometimes wake up way too early or wake up way too late, and it was becoming a pattern. He woke up at exactly five in the morning when Baekhyun left. Reaching for his phone, he opened the notifications he received and then stuffed it back underneath his pillow. He sighed as he stared at the chandelier above him. Now he doesn't know what to do. His head shot towards the door when Soeun peeked his head in.

 

"Jongin? Have you waken up yet?" He asked softly.

 

The boy sat up while covering his torso and nodded his head. "I am awake, uncle Soeun. Come in."

 

Soeun entered the room and closed the door behind him. He approached Jongin and sat at the foot of the bed with an album in his hand. Jongin noticed it right away and his eyes lit up. "That's Baekhyun's album!" He pointed.

 

The elder flashed a tiny smile and nodded his head as Jongin searched for his shirt under the thick blankets. "It is. I didn't expect him to bring this with him." Soeun said as he ran his hand over the lettering on the cover of the album. "I feel like I'm getting to know him more through this." It was true. Soeun felt like he caught up with Baekhyun through the album and some other findings that he found when the maids came into his room to clean. He saw the postcards he would send, the old films Hana kept, and many more photos. 

 

"He brought more items with him, uncle! Not just the album." Jongin chirpped. 

 

"I am aware of that. The maids found them under his bed."

 

Ever since that morning, Soeun and Jongin were talking to each other more about Baekhyun and his childhood. They even discussed his teenage years and his university life. Throughout those discussions, Soeun never felt so proud in his life to have a son that acted like him but was a replica of his mother. He needed to give her multiple calls after what he had learned about his son, but due to timezone differences it was impossible. Especially with how occupied he was. Together as Baekhyun was away, they rummaged through everything Baekhyun brought over and Soeun received nostalgia. 

 

"How is society, uncle?" Jongin asked after he swallowed his cereal.

 

"Nothing different, nephew." Soeun said and folded the newspaper. "Do you know when Baekhyun will return today? I want to have a word with him whenever I have the chance."

 

Jongin pondered for a bit and raised his hands up to his shoulders. "No idea, uncle. He must be on a plane—"

 

The front entrance doors were slammed opened and Baekhyun ran in with his luggage. With a loud exhale throughout the whole hall, he moaned out, "I'M HOME!" Jongin instantly got up from his seat and rushed out to embrace his tiny cousin. Soeun stood up and peeked his head from where he stood. Jongdae walked in with an exhausted sigh and patted Jongin on the back. Somin came in and made her way into the dining room to see her brother.

 

"Hi, brother!" She exclaimed. "We honestly didn't need the private plane, but it was nice to be off the ground for a short period of time." She examined her brother's face and squinted her eyes. "Did you eat more? You look much healthier."

 

"Soeun?"

 

Soeun faced the doorway and saw his son. His face was glowing more than usual, his cheeks were more plump, his hair color was beginning to fade into a cotton pink color, and he looked more skinnier. Compared to the time before he left, Soeun saw Baekhyun more as a son with a strong acceptance. Now that he was back, he can finally know him better through communication and, of course, more time together.

 

Baekhyun made his way into the dining room and stood in front of his dad. He smiled and extended his hand out. "I missed you, old man." Soeun stared down at his hand and met with Baekhyun's eyes. Baekhyun scoffed. "You're going to leave me hanging?"

 

Soeun chuckled and instead of grabbing his hand, he pulled him into a small embrace. Baekhyun was squished to his dad's chest and his hands were against his chest pressed together. Somin squealed at what she was witnessing and Jongin and Jongdae were peeking from the hall. Baekhyun didn't know what to do, especially with his dad's arms firmly secured around him. He decided to slowly move his hands and wrapped them around the elder's waist, fully accepting the hug and giving him one in return.

 

"Hi, Soeun." Baekhyun cooed as his dad was letting him go. "What's with the sudden affection?" He teased.

 

Soeun avoided eye contact and cleared his throat. Even he didn't know what gotten into him. It was way too soon! "Lack of tea." Baekhyun let out the cutest laugh and turned to the maid standing in the corner to gesture her more tea for his dad. Soeun made a mental note to be slower next time.

 

Somin reached in her pocket and pulled out Baekhyun's phone. There was a notification from an unknown number and she furrowed her eyebrows. Following her brother to his seat, she gestured Baekhyun to her and extended her arm out with his phone. Baekhyun took it and excused himself to the hall. Jongdae and Jongin moved aside and leaned in on both of Baekhyun's sides, hovering over him.

 

"Who is 0614?" Baekhyun mumbled. "Why is the person so formal?" Jongdae bit his lip and Jongin stared at the phone dumbfoundedly. "Why is it giving me service hours to the Parks main office?"

 

[0614]