Cucumber Sandwiches

Byun, the Californian Prince

Jongdae came out of Baekhyun's bathroom with an oversized shirt and shorts and met Baekhyun at the coffee table. He sat down on the seat diagonally from him and tapped his finger to the music playing from the vinyl. Baekhyun looked up from his phone and watched him tapped his finger. Both were waiting for each other to wash up before talking more with Baekhyun going first so Jongdae can have more time in the bathroom after he was finished. Jongdae had his short hair pushed back from showering and a rubber mask on his face.

 

"Is this Chet Baker?" Jongdae asked. Baekhyun shrugged in response and looked at the record cover. He nodded in agreement and placed his phone besides him as he hugged his legs in his seat.

 

"I have been listening to my dad's favorite songs on repeat and I cannot feel the vibe." Baekhyun groaned.

 

"The vibe? You mean the melody?" Jongdae bit back a laugh.

 

"Yeah, the melody if that's what you call it." Baekhyun said and tilted his head. "Have you always been the designer for my family? You're oddly young to already be a designer."

 

Jongdae chuckled and ruffled his wet hair. "I am young, but they considered me as an expert because I would help aunt Somin with her clothes during the times she tutored me when I was fifteen."

 

"You've been here for five years?" Baekhyun gasped, holding his hand up to his mouth. Jongdae nodded with a small smile. "From being tutored to a certified designer?" Jongdae nodded. "You gotta be that good to be kept here."

 

"I believe so." Jongdae smiled. "Can I tell you more about myself? I never had a real friend before. Well, if you consider me—"

 

Baekhyun interrupted. "You're my first friend here! Please tell me more." Baekhyun's eyes sparkled as he grabbed the pillow behind his back and hugged it. Jongdae smiled from how he settled himself to listen to his story and he, too, got comfortable by grabbing a pillow and holding it on his lap.

 

He sighed and recollected his thoughts. "I came here when I was fifteen to be tutored. I was not the smartest kid— child— would you rather have me talk to you informally? I can break the formality for you." Jongdae suggested and Baekhyun nodded immediately. "You must be tired from all the proper talk."

 

"Believe me, it's been teaching me how to be proper, but tiring to listen to. You can talk to me normally." Baekhyun said.

 

Jongdae took his consideration. "Okay, so I wasn't smart as a kid growing up and needed enrichment in my math and reading. My parents had me write a letter to your family for help and your aunt took me in every day after school. I would sometimes stay overnight too. She was like an aunt to me, so I would call her aunt too. When I became a senior in high school, she appointed me to become a designer because I would leave my sketchbook in my room, which is my office. Living here has been a blessing to me and I never felt so secured."

 

Baekhyun smiled at his little story and clapped his hands quietly, eliciting a laugh from the smaller. "How is it to talk normally?"

 

"Feels less pressuring. I've been using the tone for two years and 's hard. Oh —" Jongdae shut himself up, causing Baekhyun to laugh out loud. "I tend to curse a lot and talk loudly, so I hope you can handle that because I am really controlling it."

 

Baekhyun calmed down and lightly his Jongdae with his pillow. "I cursed in front of my dad and I could've sworn that he wanted to beat my right at the spot."

 

"I've heard of that. I really wanted to talk to you because of that." Jongdae chuckled. "Can I talk to you more? I haven't felt this relaxed towards a person, Baekhyun."

 

Baekhyun placed his hand on his chest. "Why ask when you're already doing it? My new best friend, you may converse with me as you please."

 

"Eww, oh my god." Jongdae threw his pillow at the blonde, causing Baekhyun to grin mischieviously. He grabbed his pillow and whacked him with it as Jongdae raised his voice and grabbed his pillow back to hit him. They both began to have a pillow fight in the middle of the room, laughing out loud and cursing each other playfully.

 

Soeun came upstairs to the third floor with a box of records in his hands as he walked quietly to Baekhyun's room. He was contemplating as he walked down the quiet hall to disturb Baekhyun with more records to have him warm up or to leave the box at the door and have him come out to get it. He shook his head and decided to talk to him. Just as he reached the door, he cleared his throat and used the door knocker. He received no response.

 

"B-Baekhyun?" He called out and opened a crack between the doors and peeked in. He saw as the designer and Baekhyun were wheezing as they playfully fought each other on the ground. What the upcoming king didn't watch out was the rubber mask being thrown in his direction, landing on his face without the two being aware. Baekhyun shouted as he got on top and cheered.

 

"YAY! I'm a black belt in taekwondo by the way." He stuck his tongue out and tapped Jongdae's . "I won!!"

 

Soeun closed the door and threw the rubber mask off of his face with his back against the doors. He shook his head with a small smile on his face. "Just like his mother." He slipped out a note he has written previously out of his pocket and placed it on top of the box for Baekhyun. For now he will meditate and leave the boy alone with his new best friend.

 

[Cucumber Sandwiches]

 

It's the morning of the pre-inauguration tea party and everyone in the house were scrambling from one side to the other. Baekhyun was standing on the platform getting fitted in his mint green suit and his hair was being styled. Today, Baekhyun would attend his first royal party. He didn't know how to act as he was getting dressed because the only time he dressed up was for special occasions, something that rarely happens when he was in California. His hair was styled with a wavy look and Jongdae patted Baekhyun's to move. Baekhyun bit on his lower lip as he smiled and checked himself out in the mirror. He turned around to see his behind and saw how the dress pants hugged it perfectly.

 

"I'm looking a lil' thick!" Baekhyun smiled at the designer in the mirror and winked at him. Jongdae shrugged at his work and laughed. "Even my hair looks nice like this!" He touched his slightly textured hair.

 

Baekhyun got down from the platform and was taken by the makeup artist to the desk in the corner of the office. He was seated and the makeup artist looked at what she had in her makeup box. 

 

"Have you ever colored your face, Baekhyun? The artist asked, choosing a shimmery eyeshadow. Baekhyun shook his head and cooed when he saw more eyeshadow colors. "Would you like me to apply makeup?"

 

"I wouldn't mind! Do you have a color to coordinate my outfit? Maybe a light green or perhaps a light yellow? I want to my eyes to pop." Baekhyun blabbered as he stared inside the makeup box. The makeup artist laughed at how cute the prince is and nodded. 

 

"We can do all kinds of colors, but for this occasion let me decide, hm?" Baekhyun nodded and closed his eyes for the makeup artist to start.

 

Jongdae came over with a pair of clip-on earrings and some jewelry for Baekhyun to try on. He clipped the earrings on his ears and clipped a cartilage earring on him. The makeup artist dabbed on a combination of the two colors Baekhyun mentioned with a gold shimmery eyeshadow over it. She reached in her box to find a pink lip balm and swept the color across his lips. Soeun came at the doors and stopped midway when he saw Baekhyun. He stared at the boy as the makeup artist showed him a mirror and Baekhyun squealed. He bit back a smile just as Baekhyun stood up and saw him.

 

"Soeun! Happy pre-inauguration!" Baekhyun greeted as he approached him. 

 

Soeun looked at him from head to toe, letting the look sink in as he looked into the eyes of his own son. "Thank you, Baekhyun." He said softly and Baekhyun smiled even more brighter. Soeun had to be honest and had to admit that he was harsh on Baekhyun when he came two days ago. Now that he has settled and accepted the fact that he is his son by the looks of how he acts and the things he did around the house, he slowly softened up and wants to learn more about him. Noa he is trying so hard not to smile at his son gushing over himself.

 

"I just finished getting ready. I feel like a real prince!" The blonde chirrped as he spun around. Soeun kept his emotions inside and looked at Jongdae. Jongdae nodded and he called for Baekhyun to come over to him. Baekhyun came over and he was told to hold out his wrist so he could put on a Cartier bracelet on and slipped on a small diamond ring on his ring finger. Soeun cleared his throat and looked at the time on his wrist. 

 

"When you are done, please come downstairs." Soeun said and turned his heels to leave. Baekhyun took one more look at his dad and back to Jongdae. 

 

"Will you be coming, Jongdae?" Baekhyun asked as he stared at the diamond ring on his finger.

 

Jongdae nodded and clapped his hand with Baekhyun's hand in between. "I will be coming. I have to get dressed first though, so will you wait for me?"

 

"That's the dumbest question you've ever asked me today." Baekhyun said and Jongdae smiled as he made his way to his bedroom in the hallway down from his office. Baekhyun walked towards the mirror and checked himself one last time. He looked at the ring on his finger and sighed at how expensive it looked. Everything on him were really expensive and it made him feel exclusive. It was a new feeling. It took Jongdae a few minutes to come out in a pastel yellow suit with his hair styled a little ruffled and he gestured Baekhyun out. 

 

Both walked out of the office on the second floor and made their way down the stairs. The maids watched as Baekhyun made his way down and smiled in awe. It made Baekhyun smile as soon as he stepped foot on the entrance hall and greeted each maid. Jongdae followed behind as they exited the doors and Baekhyun covered his eyes from the sunlight hitting directly on him. Somin gasped as she saw her nephew and clasped her hands together. 

 

"He is beautiful." She cooed as Baekhyun made his way down the concrete steps to the cars lining up around the water fountain. Soeun hummed and got into the passenger seat of his car. Somin sighed and made her way into the back seat. 

 

Baekhyun and Jongdae followed one of the guards to their car and he opened the back seat door for them. Jongdae climbed in before Baekhyun could and they were welcomed with the cool air. 

 

"It's hot as outside." Jongdae groaned as he stuffed his face against the air coming out from the front. Baekhyun pressed his lips together as the air was blocked out of his direction because Jongdae was hogging it all for himself. 

 

"We just got in here, Jongdae!" Baekhyun whined and pulled him by the shoulder to sit down. Jongdae pouted and encircled his arm to link with Baekhyun. The private driver came in and greeted Jongdae through the mirror.

 

"Hi, Dae! Haven't seen you out of the house in a while," the driver said, "who is with you?"

 

Jongdae gulped and looked at Baekhyun, earning a nod and Baekhyun flipped his bangs away from his eyes. "This is Prince Baekhyun, sir. He is the son of Byun Soeun." The driver gasped and turned around to look at him properly. 

 

"So you are the prince Somin was telling me about. My, I didn't believe her one bit, but now I owe her an apology. I am honored to meet you." He said as he bowed his head and Baekhyun bowed back. Jongdae could tell that Baekhyun was holding back from extending his hand, so he grabbed his hand and extended it out for him. 

 

"In America, they shake hands, sir. I believe it is time to spread his culture onto you." The driver gave him a big smile before extending his hand and shaking Baekhyun's hand softly. Baekhyun blushed and bowed his head again to the driver. One of the guards opened the passenger seat and climbed in, instructing the driver to follow the rest of the cars in front.

 

Baekhyun looked outside of the window as they turned towards the exit and was welcomed to the green landscape of the mansion. Although he has been here for a bit, he still couldn't sink in where he is living. This was a temporary lifestyle that he has to cope with, and he is proud of his decision to come to Korea for his dad.

 

[Cucumber Sandwiches]

 

The family arrived at a church venue at the edge of Bucheon and came out to a crowd of reporters, photographers, and more family members from their family and from other families of different locations. There are a total of four different families in the Royal Families of Korea: the Kims, the Chois, the Parks, and the Lees. The Byuns are in the top three families whom the country mostly looks up to, ranking in second place. The other two families were the Parks and the Kims, with the Parks being ranked first and most powerful and the Kims ranking third. Out of the four families, one of them are in rivalry with the Byuns, and that is one thing Baekhyun wants to uncover today as the families are gathered to celebrate his dad's pre-inauguration.

 

Baekhyun and Jongdae arrived at the red carpet and Jongdae made his appearance out first. He turned around and extended his hand out for Baekhyun to get out. Baekhyun took a deep breath and took his hand. Once he got all, everyone gasped and the photographers were capturing his first photos. He squinted his eyes and blinked continuously as the flashes. Some of the photographers were shouting him out to get his attention and many people were curious about who he is. Jongdae directed him to go up front and Baekhyun looked back not knowing what to do. The younger nodded his head at him to reassure him and Baekhyun faced straight towards the carpet.

 

Baekhyun made his way as he walked passed many photographers and catching reporters' attention as he passed them. Many were shouting "who are you" and "please look at me, boy in the mint!" Baekhyun wasn't fully confident about having all of the attention on him, but when he was brave enough, he stopped in the middle of the carpet and slightly turned around at the cameras and flashed a small smile, putting his hands in his pockets. The crowd swooned over him and all the cameras were on him. 

 

Somin at the entrance of the venue tapped on her brother's shoulder and pointed at Baekhyun. Soeun watched as he did another turn and smiled with teeth. 

 

"He has the whole world wrapped around his pretty fingers now, brother." She whispered and smiled proudly as Baekhyun bowed his head and made his way to her and his dad. Jongdae followed suit and bowed his head to Somin and Soeun. Baekhyun smiled cutely at the two and bowed his head slightly. Somin leaned over towards Baekhyun's ear, covering so nobody would read her lips. "Your father looks very proud of you." 

 

Baekhyun glanced at his dad making his way in the venue and gave his aunt a soft grin before gesturing her to go inside. Jongdae walked behind Somin and Baekhyun followed, glancing back one last time at the crowd and walked in as more families behind him were coming in.

 

Once Baekhyun stepped inside, he was welcomed to a crowd of families all over the country. Uneasiness came creeping in his head as he rubbed his hands together and looked around from one side of the venue to the other. Jongdae quickly noticed it and stood besides him, guiding him inside.

 

"It's normal, Baekhyun," he whispered, "I was once like this too. You will grow towards it. For now, keep your identity on low profile." Baekhyun nodded and clutched onto Jongdae's sleeve as Jongdae guided him closer to his dad. 

 

Most of everyone's eyes were not only on the soon-to-be-king, but they were also on Baekhyun. Curiosity filled the atmosphere of the hall as Baekhyun passed them without making eye contact. His head was down and his free hand was in a fist. He was feeling too anxious being in the spotlight and was not prepared for it at all. He really wanted to be himself, but he thought that maybe he should keep it low for now and be like his family.

 

The Byuns made their way outside to the gardens of the venue and they were greeted by known celebrities and celebrities from the fashion and music industry. Everyone went their separate ways and Jongdae was left alone with a sweaty Baekhyun. 

 

"Baekhyun, do you need a handkierchief?" Jongdae asked, reaching in his pocket for one.

 

"N-No, I'm good, Jongdae. Thank you for offering." Baekhyun stuttered, looking around and landed his eyes on the food displayed at a section. Jongdae saw the table and got the idea.

 

"Do you want food?" Jongdae asked, now walking him towards the table of sandwiches and tea. 

 

Baekhyun stared at the small sandwiches that looked as if nothing were between the bread and reached over for a plate. He grabbed four small sandwiches and a cup of tea, causing some women around him to gawk at him and gossip. Jongdae laughed nervously and bowed his head to the women before grabbing his fill and following Baekhyun to an empty table. Baekhyun sat down and grabbed a sandwich. Jongdae bowed his head to more women walking behind him and picked up his sandwich. The blonde took a bite and hummed when he tasted the salmon.

 

"I've never had tea sandwiches before." Baekhyun said with a mouth full, covering his mouth to be polite. "I hope none of these have cucumber." He picked up a different sandwich and took a bite.

 

Jongdae saw a piece of cucumber fell out of the sandwich Baekhyun bit into and he saw Baekhyun's space scrunch up. "S-Spoke too soon?" Jongdae grabbed the sandwich from Baekhyun's fingers and Baekhyun grabbed the napkin under his plate and spat it out. The people sitting around them looked at Baekhyun with a questioning look. One person even said that the behavior was very American-like since he has visited there recently. Baekhyun noticed everything and slumped his shoulders. He hid the crumbled napkin under his plate and leaned forward to Jongdae's ear.

 

"Do you know Spanish? I'm very positive that no one here knows Spanish." Baekhyun whispered and luckily Jongdae nodded. "I don't like how they think Americans are not well behaved and are disrepectful." He said in Spanish.

 

"I know and I want to apologize about that assumption, Baekhyun." He replied in Spanish. 

 

"Some people can be like that, but it's definitely not me. I am not like that." Baekhyun huffed as he looked around, making sure no one was watching him and Jongdae. He mentally praised himself for pertaining some Spanish from high school. While stuffing his face more with the sandwiches he had, asking Jongdae to check each other before he ate them, a group of women came over to their table.

 

One of the women tapped Baekhyun's shoulder. Baekhyun looked up and covered his mouth.

 

"Hello. May I ask for your name?" She asked, flashing a pretty grin towards him. Jongdae raised his upper lip while Baekhyun swallowed everything he had in his mouth. He wiped his mouth clean and stood up, grabbing her hand and shaking it.

 

"I'm gay!" Baekhyun said and the girl took her hand out of his hold in shock. "Oh! Sorry for grabbing your hand. It's natural for me to do that."

 

Jongdae stood up and extended his hand out to make the situation look better, but the girl scoffed at Jongdae and looked back at Baekhyun.

 

"I accept your apology, but I was not expecting you to blurt your preferences, even towards a woman who is interested." She said, batting her eyelashes. 

 

Baekhyun scrunched his lips and shook his head. "Nice of you to think you have a chance." He said as he crossed his arms and stood close to her. One of the women behind her dragged her by the arm to not waste her breath on him and called out his behavior as disrespectful like his country's president, without the knowledge of him being an American in their heads. With a now cold cup of tea in hand, Baekhyun faced many judging eyes throughout the day and a a burden of shame carried on his shoulders.

 

[Cucumber Sandwiches]

 

"Nobody knows me yet they call me out for being American-like without knowing me personally. But they're right! I am an American although they just don't know!" Baekhyun blabbered as he stared at the chandelier from his bed. He groaned loudly and grabbed a pillow from above his head to hug it. "If Jongin was to face this with me, he'd go sicko mode."

 

"Sicko mode?" Jongdae asked as he shot his head up from the magazine he was reading. "Look, I may be a 'normie,' but I'm not fully intelligent enough to know your vocabulary. What is sicko mode?"

 

Baekhyun scrunched his face with irritation and shot up from his bed. "I'm tired of being labeled as a rude, anonymous person who does not know proper etiquette! Even though it's ing true, but still! I am still learning!"

 

"Try to say that when you are asked to reveal yourself someday." Jongdae said plainly.

 

The blonde shot his eyes at him, imagining that he was strangling the younger before getting up and going towards the windows. He moved the curtains aside and looked at his view. He sighed and crossed his arms at his chest.

 

"I have to do so much better now, Jongdae. I gotta be like a prince. Talk like one, act like one, walk like one, and even smell like one!" Baekhyun took one sniff at his armpits and shook his head. "Name a prince who wears fruity perfume."

 

"Prince Kim Minseok." Jongdae answered softly.

 

The elder scoffed and turned his body in his direction. "I don't know who he is, but glad to know I am similar to another prince in this royal system."

 

He walked towards the younger at the coffee table and plopped down on the couch. He stared at him reading his Vogue magazine and sighed. Being labeled isn't fun.

 

[Cucumber Sandwiches]

 

"Make sure to return this in his room," Somin said as he placed a thick photo album on her brother's desk. "I found it under his bed. It was peeking out when I came to visit him before my time to rest."

 

Soeun stared at the photo album in front of him that had a photo of Baekhyun's feet print on them with his name spelled out from different letterings from a variety of magazines glued on the cover. Somin smiled before closimg the door behind her, leaving him alone with the album. He took a deep breath in and touched the front cover gently and subtly. After saying a mental prayer, he opened the book and smiled upon a photo of his son swaddled in hospital cloths. Byun Baekhyun: Our Special Gift.

 

[Cucumber Sandwiches]