Santa Monica

Byun, the Californian Prince

The waves are roaring, the people are crowding every single spot on the beach, and Baekhyun is so close to be washed over by a huge wave.

 

"Baekhyun, move!" Jongin yelled. It took Baekhyun two seconds to be engulfed by the huge wave, making the younger sigh on shore. The little guy's head popped up from the ocean and he was laughing out loud. His short, platinum mop of hair was pushed back.

 

"That was amazing, Jongin!!" He screamed as he waddled back up to shore. "It felt so refreshing!"

 

"Yeah, yeah, whatever. Your mom is calling us for lunch." Jongin said and Baekhyun grabbed his arm as he lost his balance from coming up.

 

Jongin and Baekhyun are cousins who live in Santa Monica, California. They're not beach dudes who surf all day and chase babes. They are more like dudes who play tag in the ocean and drool over hot dudes surfing or passing by. That's who they are. Previously they graduated from university and now being left with nothing but to enjoy their summer before going back to work in the hospital as pediatricians.

 

Both ran towards their tent and grabbed a plate of food set aside for them. Baekhyun's mom was napping while Jongin's parents were reading novels together.

 

"Welcome back, boys!" Jongin's dad greeted as he closed his novel and stood up. "Is the water still cold?"

 

"It's perfect now, dad." Jongin answered and took a bite out of his sandwich. 

 

Baekhyun unwrapped his sandwich and tossed the plastic wrap in the bag next to his mom. He took a bite and scanned his surroundings. There is a man under every umbrella or tent that is either playing with his child or caring for his child. It has Baekhyun wondering for the last twenty-one years of his life. He has no memory of his father and has no idea what he looks like. For all he knows, everyone can confirm that he looks exactly like his mom, but that's not the point here.

 

He wants to find his father and know who he is. What he also wants is to have a moment like what these kids are having: to build a sand castle and collect shells. That's his wish that hasn't been fufilled in twenty-one years.

 

"Baek, do you want to collect shells? I think we can find some pretty ones this time." Jongin asked as he opened a bag of vinegar chips.

 

"We always collect shells and they would always look the same." Baekhyun complained.

 

"Come on! It's our tradition!" Honestly, it was a tradition he would rather do with a father more than his cousin because he has been collecting two or three perfect shells with him his whole life. Baekhyun sighed and nodded his head while he finished his sandwich.

 

Baekhyun's mom woke up from her nap and she turned her head towards her son. She smiled and softly touched his arm. "You're back! Did you put sunscreen on?"

 

The boy shook his head. "I will when I head out, mom." She nodded her head and moved her sunglasses on top of her head.

 

[Santa Monica]

 

Spending two hours on the beach playing with the ocean, walking from one side of the beach to the other, and spying on boys who were sitting on their surfboards watching the sun, Baekhyun was drained. The two families packed up and began walking to their homes that were right in front of the beach. They were neighbors in the same neighborhood so it was very convenient.

 

Baekhyun finished putting away the beach chairs and the tent back in the basement and walked back upstairs to meet his mom. His mom was in the kitchen cleaning the dishes. He walked over to the fridge and opened it to find leftover kimbap. He grabbed the plate and placed it on the countertop.

 

"Mom, you want some?" 

 

His mom looked over her shoulder and shook her head. "I ate too much of Jongin's mom's jjapchae, so I'm very full. Thank you, baby—"

 

"I have a question, mom."

 

His mom finished cleaning and turned off the water. She turned around and leaned over the counter while her son was stuffing all of the kimbap into his mouth. She chuckled and patted his back to gesture him to slow down. She kinda knew what the question was because he will stuff his mouth just to stall.

 

"Who isth my daf?" He struggled with a full mouth and covered his mouth. 

 

"Somebody who we don't have to worry about, baby."

 

"Why?" Baekhyun finally swallowed all of the kimbap and pouted at his mom. "I'm twenty-one, mom. I have been missing a father for two decades. Don't you think I deserve to know who he is?"

 

"I believe you do, but I don't think he would deserve to see such a beautiful baby I raised." She said as she leaned over and pinched her son's cheeks. He whined and got out of her hold. 

 

"He does! He deserves to see such a cute son he made!" He pouted harder. 

 

His mom only smiled and squished his cheeks together. "Don't worry about your father. Let him find you. Don't waste your time trying, baby. It's not worth it."

 

Not worth it? Bull! Baekhyun's mind screamed. He sighed and moved out of his mom's hold and grabbed the empty plate to wash it. His mom watched him with guilt. It was always like this when he asks about his dad. What made her more guilty was that it wasn't because she wanted to keep him away from his dad. It was because of his dad's parents.

 

Byun Soeun and Kim Hana met at the same beach she just went with her son. She was collecting shells and suddenly he grabbed the same shell she was trying to pick up. So what did they do? They fought. It ended rough because they fell right into the ocean and he saved her from drowning. She hated him for that, but she fell in love just like he did. They were together for three years and Soeun planned to propose after one night of showing love through actions and words. 

 

Unfortunately, that didn't happen because he was called from his parents to return immediately back to Seoul, leaving everything behind in Santa Monica and even the love of his life. Little did he know that in a matter of four weeks, Hana was pregnant and she found out about his secret life that he never mentioned to her. Then Baekhyun came into the world being born to a California local and a potential king of Bucheon. Now that's some royal-tea.

 

Once Baekhyun finished washing the plate, he kissed his mom's forehead and headed upstairs to his room. She sighed and looked over to her phone near the toaster. She walked over and grabbed it. A notification was shown on the screen and she sighed. Swiping right, she raised the phone to her ear. 

 

Baekhyun closed his bedroom door and leaned against the door. There goes another failed attempt he thought. His eyes wandered around his room and they landed on the square block in his ceiling. He always looked at that square block and thought of it as the fake chimney on top of his house, yet there was no chimney so he just thought of it as an accidental hole. But tonight was different.

 

He walked towards his bed with his eyes still glued on the ceiling. He knelt down on his bed and reached to touch the block. It was secured. He needed something to hit against so he could open it. Baekhyun flinched when he heard his mom's footsteps and quickly lied down on the bed and opened his laptop. He randomly pressed a song and his mom opened his door. Baekhyun stared at his mom. His mom stared back and leaned against the doorpost. 

 

"Don't think about it, Baekhyun. It's your summer so don't stuff anything wild into that head of yours." He quickly nodded and she blew him a kiss good night. 

 

"I love you and I am sorry." He said softly and she laughed as she closed the door shut.

 

"Baekhyun!" Someone shouted outside. He faced the window and ran to open it as Jongin was waving his arms in his room across from his. Baekhyun pushed it open and waved at his younger cousin.

 

"What's up?" Baekhyun shouted. Jongin threw a can towards him and he caught it. It was the cans with the string attached. Jongin recently made it because they were communicating more by shouting out their windows and their tiny neighbor and friend, Kyungsoo, would get irritated because they had big mouths.

 

"Do you know the big thing in my ceiling?" Baekhyun asked through the can. He saw Jongin nod and smiled with hope. "I don't think it's a fake chimney or a cover up for a hole."

 

"Who said you had a chimney? We live near the beach!" Jongin said confusedly. Baekhyun shrugged in response. "What are you trying to do?"

 

"I'm trying to open it and I might need your help since you are stronger and know more with tools." Baekhyun said. "It might be a secret attic!"

 

Jongin gasped. "Is this a way of you trying to find Mr. Byun?" Baekhyun hummed in reply and Jongin's jaw dropped. "Wait, you're actually TRYING to find him?"

 

"Yeah! I'm sick and tired of waiting for a stranger to pop up and tell me I'm his son. If he isn't coming, then I'm coming."

 

Jongin was silent for a bit and Baekhyun saw him resting on his hands. He placed the can down and clasped his hands together, begging his cousin to help him with his situation. Jongin was never the type to take huge risks, unless Baekhyun bickers him to it. This was one of those moments. The younger sighed and picked up his can. "You're lucky that I love you."

 

The elder squealed into the can. Jongin only chuckled and placed the can down to go ask his parents to come over. Baekhyun placed his can down and did a small dance. He was feeling excited because his cousin could help him with his mission. It was overwhelming too because he has never thought of taking huge risks to find his dad. Jongin came back to the window and picked up his can. 

 

"Baekhyun?" He called and Baekhyun turned back around and grabbed the can. "My parents said it's too late to come over, but that won't stop me because I'm excited too. I'm going to try my best okay?" 

 

"If you can't come over tonight, we can try another time. We have all summer!" Baekhyun said. Jongin nodded apologetically and said good night to his cousin for the time being. Baekhyun went downstairs quietly and opened a small crack in the living room for Jongin to crawl in if it was clear to sneak over.

 

[Santa Monica]

 

Unfortunately Jongin couldn't come over until two nights later. Within those two nights, Baekhyun has been staring at the ceiling wondering if he should just break it open since he was becoming impatient. Jongin crawled over with a screwdriver in his pajamas pocket and quietly made his way in the house from the kitchen window that Baekhyun opened for him. He swiftly ran upstairs and went into Baekhyun's room. He shut the door quietly and faced Baekhyun who was digging his fingers at the outline of the block. 

 

"You're so curious about this, Baek." Jongin chuckled and slipped out of his slippers. He came on the bed and looked at the ceiling. He saw the small screws on each corner and pulled out his screwdriver. Baekhyun pulled his fingers out and watched his cousin try to remove one of the screws. Jongin hummed as he struggled to unscrew it and tried another side. He continued for three minutes and gave up, making Baekhyun pout.

 

"We need a drill to get the screws out. It tightly secured to the ceiling." Jongin said and Baekhyun sighed of defeat. "We can try when your mom leaves for work. Do you have plans tomorrow?"

 

Baekhyun shook his head. "I'm free. We won't have our first day as pediatricians until September, remember?" Jongin nodded his head and sat down on the bed. He put the screwdriver back in his pocket and patted Baekhyun's head. 

 

"I'm going to crawl back. It's almost midnight."

 

They said their goodbyes and Jongin successfully escaped his house through the same window and walked back home. Baekhyun closed the window quietly and made his way to the fridge. He opened it and grabbed the passion fruit juice out. He grabbed a glass and poured himself some of the juice, then he placed the juice back in the fridge and sat on the kitchen counter. Drinking out of the glass, he thought about all the possibilities. If he were to find something relating to his dad, what will he do next? Find him? That would cost a lot wherever he is. Would he tell his mom? He doesn't even know himself. With his shoulders slumped, he downed his juice and cleaned the glass before going back upstairs to sleep.

 

In the morning right when Baekhyun's mom left for work, Jongin came over with more tools. They made breakfast before getting right to the process. When Baekhyun finished cleaning everything, they both went upstairs and moved Baekhyun's bed to the side. Jongin tried the drill and he managed to get one screw out, which made Baekhyun excited as he continued to take out the other three screws. Once he got them all out, they both carefully moved the block out. 

 

"It's not an attic," Jongin said when he peeked in the hole, "but there is something here. It's really dark and dusty." He reached over and Baekhyun hugged his legs to prevent him from losing balance. Jongin grunted as he pulled a box towards him and Baekhyun gasped. He came down with the box and Baekhyun grabbed it from his hands. He ripped open the tape and opened it with eager eyes. Inside were letters, postcards, a journal, and a bunch of photos. Baekhyun's eyes landed on one specific picture and he grabbed it out. He looked at the man in the photo and turned it around. Byun Soeun, the man who has my heart. 

 

"Is that?" Jongin asked, looking at the photo over Baekhyun's shoulder. Baekhyun nodded and smiled brightly. He found out who his father is. 

 

"Wait, Baek." Jongin reached in and grabbed a postcard that showed a photo of Bucheon. He flipped the postcard over and it was written in his father's handwriting. He gawked at the postcard and gave it to Baekhyun. "You need to read this." 

 

Baekhyun took the postcard and read it. His eyebrows scrunched together as he disected what he wrote and he dropped the postcard. 

 

"My dad— no way! This can't be real!" Baekhyun panicked. "I'm— I'm the son of the prince of Bucheon??" Jongin nodded and shook him by the shoulders. Baekhyun's heart was beating crazily as he stared at his father's photo. Thoughts raced through his head and a tiny bit of regret was beginning to linger as he threw everything back in the box and closed it. His breathing quickened and he looked at Jongin. 

 

"What now, Baek?" Jongin asked, trying to calm him down. 

 

Baekhyun looked back at the box and back to his cousin with wide eyes. He literally has two things in his head and he can't decide which one to do. Jongin looked at him until he finally spoke.

 

"I guess I have to find him in Bucheon, Jongin." He said shakily, managing to smile determinedly as he made his decision.

 

[Santa Monica]