8. Midsummar

Across The Universe
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

The journey to the Red Mountains was long and exhausting. It took four days of travel so the Hwangs could finally reach Midsummar, the capital city of the region.

Seo Juhyun opened in awe upon noticing the great stepped brick pyramid, which was four hundred feet high. The bricks were colors of red, to which reminded her of the sky color at sunset time. The pyramid seemed to be the main palace of the city, where it lived Shin Yunsuk, the Master Lord of the Red Mountains.

“The entire city is built with red bricks, it is said.” Her Lady Master, Hwang Miyoung, spoke up at her side.

As the greater gate of the city opened for the visitors, Lady Miyoung seemed to be right about her information. The streets, plazas, the fountains, the pyramid, the buildings, the city walls have all been constructed with the same kind of red brick. Some buildings were old and crumbling, as Juhyun could notice red dust to be found over the stone ways.

When their carriages passed by the main plaza, a red brick fountain with a hammered bronze statue of a local warrior stood in its center. The warrior held a round shield on his arm and ruby and amber gemstones adorned around the rim of the shield.

“Everything is so red…” Juhyun said, timidly. It was a really different region from the colorful and flowery fields of Rosegarden and the Hwang Estate. If she wasn’t accompanying her lady master, Juhyun would say that city doesn’t belong to the lands of Joseon.

“It’s red, and hot, and sandy… Just to think that I’ll live here gives me a migraine.” Lady Miyoung said, unpleasant with the red city.

On an aisle near the open market of the city, Juhyun saw noble borns inviting merchants and customers to view their slaves. The slaves had tanned amber skins, broad noses and small eyes, with their heads shaved completely, from the top of their hair, and even their eyebrows, to their chins.

Rosegarden had slaves too. In the Hwang Estate, they were called Harvesters. The Hwangs had them working on the rice and wheat fields, and when it was springtime, the flower fields were their main local of labour. Master Hwang didn’t shave their heads, nor their eyebrows. In fact, Master Hwang used to give the slaves a small portion of the rice and wheat they sowed as gratitude for their services.

All in all, the slaves from Rosegarden looked completely different from the slaves from Midsummar and Juhyun wondered if those servants were from far away lands across the sea.

When their carriages stopped just by the main entrance of the palace, the Hwang company were greeted by the noble guards, their under tunics embroidered with linen and their overall coats with gold yellow silk.

“We’ve finally arrived.” Lady Miyoung relieved.

Juhyun helped her lady master leave the carriage, holding her hand, so she wouldn’t fall from the vehicle. As Lady Miyoung stepped on the floor, the guards bowed to her, opening the way so she could walk to the main Entrance.

The banner of the House Shin, a golden sun in crimson background, decorated all the stairway to the main entrance of the pyramid. Soon, the blue rose of House Hwang would be held high on the stairway too.

“Welcome to Midsummar, the great capital city of the Red Mountains!” Announced the official spokesperson of the city. As he said those words, Juhyun heard a few blows of hornets. “Master Shin awaits you all in the main palace.”

Lady Miyoung bowed to the man as he welcomed the whole Hwang Company. Juhyun followed her lady master, always careful to not dirt her sandals too much of the red dust collected on the floor.

It was indeed a really hot place, as they walked up through the stairs of the pyramid, they all seemed to start sweating. Lady Miyoung was unfortunate, Juhyun thought. She always hated the dry air heat of summers.

As they climbed higher and higher at stairs, the red dust had gone considerably sparse till not a single grain could be found. An iron curved horn lied before the main gates, to which the guards cleaned the heels of their boots. Juhyun did the same before entering the palace, just as her masters did leading their way.

When the main gates of the palace were opened, the official spoke again. “Keep your shoes on the step by the side.” And the Hwang Company followed his words just promptly.

The interior of the palace was truly mesmerizing, as red and yellow precious precious gemstones decorated gates, furniture, and candlelights through the corridors. The stained glass windows allowed sunlight to enter the palace and a beam of sunray shone brightly upon the man sitting on a small throne in the center of the room.

“Why does he sit on a throne? Does he think he is some sort of king?” Juhyun heard Hwang Liu’s wife say low to her husband.

The man rose up from the throne, as red as that city, and opened his arms wide. “Welcome to Midsummar! It is an honour to receive the Hwang Family in our region. An ever great honour to seal our alliances with the lords of Rosegarden.”

Master Hwang acknowledged his words.

“My, my, you are a beauty indeed.” Master Shin said, taking a closer look at Miyoung. Juhyun noticed her lady master tense up from his sudden closeness. “Fear not, my dear, you shall receive gifts of jewelry to calm your nerves. Legend says Midsummar and its gems are a gift from the sun. And it is a custom of ours to present our visitors with what makes u

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter