27. Doubts

Across The Universe
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Taeyeon was still unsure of her decision when the group managed to reach Stoneguard by noon. She stood on top of Ginger when Heechul climbed down from the horse and helped the boys to unpack all the load from the horses.

“Cheer up, Cap! We’ve finally arrived!” He exclaimed happily for the end of that journey. “It’s time for a good bath and a good bowl of rice!”

Taeyeon sighed, feeling a little heavy on the shoulders. As Heechul moved to help Minho and Jonghyun, Taeyeon stood still on Ginger. Her silence and quiet mood made Lady Hwang get closer to her on her own horse. “Are you alright?” She asked, curiously, finding Taeyeon’s behavior a little odd.

Taeyeon just nodded, not giving her too much attention. “Yeah, I’m alright. Just tired enough, I guess.” She tried to dismiss it.

“Try to have some rest.” She suggested. “You must’ve been exhausted with all those nights without sleeping. As we finally arrived here, take rest at a good inn and give yourself some air from all the trouble you’re having.”

Taeyeon sighed, twisting her lips. “Yeah, I might do that.” She slowly nodded.

“We should all do that.” Sooyoung suddenly spoke, just as tired. “Honestly, I never knew Midsummar was so away from any sort of civilization.”

“You have seen nothing!” Leeteuk added upon hearing their conversation. “There is a much bigger desert between Stoneguard and Kang’s Province!”

“Seven heavens!” Yuri shrudded. “I guess this is why Master Shin calls The Red Mountains impregnable.”

“Tough terrain indeed.” Leeteuk agreed.

“And now that we are here… what should we do?” Seohyun asked politely, climbing down from the horse she was riding with Lady Hwang.

“Well, I don’t know about you, ladies, but we have some glasses to raise up and a little dust to shake off!” He completed, relieved.

“What’s that supposed to mean?” The lady servant asked, confused.

“Booze and .” He answered as nonchalantly as he could.

“Oiy!” Taeyeon called. “Please be respectful with Lady Hwang. She doesn’t need to hear your bedroom affairs and bad language!”

“It’s alright. Don’t worry about me.” She quickly intervened.

“See, cap? No need to do your prince game!”

“There is no prince game! I’m just a nice person!”

“Yeah, yeah, yadda yadda… can we get some money for booze and ? Please?”

Taeyeon rolled her eyes, and threw a small pouch in his direction, to which Leeteuk grabbed it on the air with his hand. “You all have this money to endure the stay around here. I won’t belittle you on what you do with it but please have some responsibilities.”

“Thanks, Cap!”

“Why Leeteuk’s the one who is keepin’ it?” Donghae asked. “Don’t you remember what happened the last time he kept our money?”

“Yeah, Donghae is right!” Shindong approached. “It’s not Leeteuk who should keep it.”

“Well, I don’t care who will keep it.” Taeyeon replied. “Whoever will be the keeper, just be considerate with the rest of the group and understand our priorities.”

“Our priorities right now are booze and !” Leeteuk retorted, amused, making Taeyeon close her eyes, a little tired of them.

“Alright, then. Go for it.” She gave up, not really in the mood to discuss anything else. Maybe she really needed a good rest as Lady Hwang suggested.

“Alright, boys! Here we go! Come along!” Leeteuk called the others, inviting them to follow him in search of the nearest brothel. Shindong, Minho and Donghae followed them, leaving Heechul and Jonghyun behind.

“Did you really give those tyheads all the money we had?” Jonghyun asked, beside Taeyeon. She turned her eyes towards him.

“Do you think I’m stupid to give ‘em all the money we had? No. I gave them what we had in hand before robbing those noble lords. They won’t last even three days with it. But it is better than nothing.”

Jonghyun chuckled.

“Alright. We need some air from all the dust. Hae-Sun’s tavern might be welcome at this time.” Heechul recalled.

Taeyeon nodded. “Yeah, if we are lucky, there might be a stable nearby where we could keep the horses.”

“Let’s go then.” He called it, walking forward. And Jonghyun followed him.

Taeyeon stood still. And then she looked at Lady Hwang still on top of her own horse.

“Would you like to have some tea with us?” Taeyeon invited.

Lady Hwang chuckled. “You ask weird questions sometimes, bastard Taeyeon.”

“Do I?” Taeyeon blinked, oblivious. Was that inappropriate somehow?

“Yeah. But I guess it suits you.” She smiled.

“Is that a yes?” Taeyeon asked, still unsure of her answer.

“Oh for the seven gods! Obviously it is a yes!” Yuri quickly answered, annoyed somehow. Sooyoung tapped Yuri’s shoulder, disapproving her manners. “No, I’m sorry, but what kind of question is that? Why do you think this princess here wouldn’t like to have a drink after crossing a ing desert?”

Taeyeon blinked, feeling her cheeks get red by embarrassment. “I’m sorry, I didn’t want to...”

“It’s alright.” Lady Hwang quickly intervened, not letting Taeyeon finish her sentence. “I understand you were just trying to be respectful.”

Taeyeon closed her eyes, a little ashamed for her own silly question.

“We are waiting.” Lady Hwang spoke up again, after a couple of seconds.

Taeyeon lifted her head towards her. “Waiting? Waiting for what?”

She smiled. “For you to show the way towards Hae-Sun’s Tavern.”

“Right.” Taeyeon cleared up , feeling even more embarrassed. Why was she being so slow that morning? Maybe she really needed a good rest.

“C’mon, just follow me.” She called, tapping her heels on Ginger and making him walk forward.

Taeyeon didn’t dare to look behind in shame and embarrassment.

~~*~~

When the group arrived at the tavern, the owner of the place, Hae-Sun quickly recognized them. “What you silly travellers are doing here? Have you lost your way to Midsummar and decided to come back?” He giggled, inviting them to the his counter.

“We had to take a detour.” Heechul answered, approaching him.

“And some nice company, I see.” He added, noticing the girls behind. Taeyeon actually felt a little offended on their behalf but she stood silent.

“It’s not really what you think.” Heechul answered. “We are just helping them cross the desert safe.”

“Ah yeah,” the man nodded, smiling. “Bunch of gentlemen bastards you are, aren’t you? Helping those nice ladies to cross the desert safe...” He turned around to fetch some glasses of beer for Jonghyun and Heechul.

Taeyeon turned her head towards the women, noticing their timid behavior inside the bar. Lady Hwang was not feeling comfortable with what Hae-Sun was just implying and Taeyeon couldn’t help feeling bad about the lady and her friends. They were all tired and stressed, with so many dangers knockin in their doors and they still had to listen to some men making jokes and insinuations about them. Lady Hwang had it worst, as she had her hair all disgrained and oily; with sand on her clothes and hair. On top of that, she was still dressed as a from the brothels of Midsummar. For a highborn like her, that would probably be the most humiliating thing of all.

“What about you, lit’le fella? Water or your hot tea?” Hae-Sun asked Taeyeon, remembering Taeyeon’s odd choices for drinks.

Taeyeon gave him a timid smile. “I’ll actually have some rest. Are there any rooms available?”

“This is Stoneguard! No one stays here for long. There are always rooms available.” He retorted it, amused. “You can have the second room on the corridor.”

“Thank you, Hae-Sun.” She nodded.

“No worries, lit’le fella.”

“Get some water and food for the ladies here as they are tired and hungry.” Taeyeon added.

“Yeah, sure.” He nodded, turning around to fetch glasses of water for all the girls.

Taeyeon looked at Heechul, her friend was at the counter, already with his glass of beer, talking to Jonghyun. She twisted her lips, unsure of what to do. She wanted to help Lady Hwang somehow but she knew Heechul would get angry, and she really wanted to avoid any argument she could have with him.

Maybe she could help Lady Hwang in secret. If Heechul doesn’t find it, then he wouldn’t get angry with it. Yeah, that could work.

Taeyeon approached Lady Hwang carefully, and placing her hand over her shoulder, whispered in her ear. “After you finish eating, meet me in my room. Make sure no one is around when you do it.”

Taeyeon noticed Lady Hwang turn her eyes towards her, and in silence, she took a little bow with her head.

And then, Taeyeon proceeded to climb the stairs of the tavern and get inside the room Hae-Sun provided.

After arranging her belongings around the room, Taeyeon stretched her neck, and decided to lay down for a rest for a couple of minutes.

It didn’t take long for her to actually fall asleep.

~~*~~

Taeyeon was sitting on the floor, looking at the map in front of her, when she heard some knocks on her door.

“Come in.”

Then the door slid open to the side as quietly as possible and Lady Hwang entered the room. “You wanted to see me.” She recalled.

Taeyeon nodded, and stood up from her position, going to her satchel and retrieving a small pouch. She squeezed the cloth pouch in her hand, feeling the coins of money inside.

“Isn’t that a map?” She heard Lady Hwang ask her suddenly.

Taeyeon turned herself around and noticed Lady Hwang was looking at the scroll attentively.

“Yes, it is a map.” She answered, approaching her.

Lady Miyoung got closer. “A map of Joseon?”

“Yes.”

“How can you have a map of Joseon?” She asked, intrigued, still looking at the map on the floor.

“Master Kim had given me this map as a present for my 18th birthday.” She explained, putting herself at Lady Hwang’s side.

“Why is it written in another language?”

Another language? What that woman was talking about? “What? No. It’s not written in another language! That’s Hangul.”

And Lady Hwang hummed, intrigued. “So, that’s Hangul. The language of common folks and bastards.”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter