Eight.

Ricotta Cheesecake
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Nako awoke to darkness. Confused, panicked, she jolted up before being overcome with dizziness and flopping back down. Feeling out her surroundings, she realised she was in a large bed full of pillows. She reached out blindly, and pulled at the blanket covering her. She breathed in its scent. Peaches and cream. Smiling at the familiar fragrance, she cocooned herself in Hitomi’s blanket.

 

She could hear whispers just outside the room. The bedroom door creaked open just an inch, letting in the faintest sliver of light. “Do you think she’s awake?” she heard a quiet voice ask through the gap.

 

Nako lifted her head up as far as she could without inducing another terrible headache. “Hyewon?” she croaked. “Hii-chan?”

 

The sound of feet shuffling around, then: “Can we come in?”

 

Nako laughed; the noise that came out sounded like a braying horse. was too dry for her to make any other sound. “Hii-chan, you don’t have to ask me that. This is your room, isn’t it?”

 

“How did you know?” Hitomi asked, walking in with a tray of medicine and a glass of water. Hyewon trailed after her, stopping to turn on the lamp next to the bed.

 

“The blanket smells like you.” Hitomi blushed at Nako’s blunt statement. Leaning down, she placed a soft kiss on her girlfriend’s forehead.

 

“You two are the grossest couple I know,” Hyewon complained as she perched on the side of the bed. Sticking her hand under the blanket, she took Nako’s hand. “You feeling better?”

 

Nako nodded, turning on her side to look at Hitomi properly. “What happened?”

 

“You fainted. The doctor said it was heat exhaustion.” Hitomi offered a hand, propping Nako up against the bed frame. Picking up the glass of water, she pressed the rim of the cup against Nako’s lips, encouraging her to hydrate. Nako took cautious sips of water, holding Hitomi’s hand to keep the cup steady.

 

Watching this simple yet loving moment before her, Hyewon slowly started to feel as if she didn’t belong here. She shifted awkwardly, waiting in silence until Nako addressed her. “Hyewon, have you told Eunbi about this?”

 

“No, not yet. I tried calling her just now, but her phone might be on silent.”

 

“Good.” Nako sighed in relief and started to rise from the bed. “Don’t tell her, or else she’ll get worried. Hii-chan, can you help me up?”

 

“Wait, wait, why?” Hyewon and Hitomi asked at the same time. Hitomi placed firm hands on Nako’s shoulders, trying to push her back down. “You need rest!”

 

“I need to get home before Eunbi does,” Nako insisted, throwing the covers off. Nothing Hitomi and Hyewon said could dissuade her, and before they knew it, she was already walking out of the bedroom. Hitomi recognised the expression on Nako’s face; it was the one that she always wore when she was determined not to let anyone worry about her. She wished Nako would learn to rely on people a little bit more, but Nako insisted on being as sturdy as a stone. Even though Hitomi could see past through the cracks in her facade, not many others could.

 

Hitomi wondered whether Eunbi could see through Nako. Hitomi really hoped she could.

 

“We’ll walk

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter