Special Chapter 1.3

Ricotta Cheesecake
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Special Chapter 1.3: How To Win Your Girl Back (a guide by Honda Hitomi)

 

Step One: Pay attention to her likes and dislikes.

There were a few things Hitomi knew already, from when they hung out as just friends. For example, Nako liked ice-cream, but hated olives. Hitomi remembered this because of how Nako would always steal her ice-cream when they went out to discover new dessert parlours, and if any pizza or salad they ordered had olives in it, Hitomi would eat them in Nako’s stead. Hitomi used to not mind eating olives - they were healthy and she quite liked them - but after eating what must be her hundredth olive this week, Hitomi decided she truly hated olives.

 

Hitomi soon discovered an interesting fact about Nako’s palate: she loved mint chocolate ice-cream (much to Hitomi’s chagrin) but had a strong distaste for either of the flavours separately, or when they were in a form that is not ice-cream. Hitomi figured this out when she bought Nako some mint chocolate macarons as a gift. Nako had taken one bite and pulled a face that Hitomi hoped she’d never see ever again. 

 

That day, Hitomi was left with a full box of macarons of a flavour she didn’t even like while Nako went off gallivanting with Nayoung. Sighing, Hitomi munched into a macaron. Romance sure was hard.

 

Step Two: Help her when she needs help, but without being overbearing.

If there was one thing that Nako absolutely needed help with, it was to pick out a book from the upper shelves of the library. And if there was one thing that Nako insisted she didn’t need help with, it was taking out that damn book on the top shelf that they needed for this week’s reading.

 

Leaning on the adjacent shelf, Hitomi raised her eyebrows as Nako futilely attempted to pull out the thick leather-bound book. Hitomi would have offered to help, but whenever she did that Nako would smack her hands away and hiss at her. So now all she could do was warily watch as Nako went on the tips of her toes, balancing dangerously on the small stepladder their university library had so graciously offered, reaching for the book. The more Nako struggled to reach for the book, the more the ladder swayed under her weight.

 

Just as Nako’s fingers brushed the spine of the book, the ladder finally gave way under her. She went down, toppling over into Hitomi’s already outstretched arms. Huffing in disbelief, Nako glanced up at Hitomi’s amused face. “Thanks, Hitomi.”

 

“Next time, just ask for help, won’t you?”

 

“I thought I could-” Nako broke off when she noticed that not only had Hitomi caught her mid-fall, but had also blocked the toppled ladder with her forearm. An ugly blue-black colour was already beginning to  spread across Hitomi’s arm. Nako gasped. “Hitomi! Your arm!”

 

“It’s nothing.” Hitomi attempted to shrug it off, but winced when the ladder shifted on her arm.

 

“It’s not nothing, you idiot!” Nako shouted. She shoved the ladder off Hitomi with all her strength. Grabbing Hitomi’s hand, she pulled the blonde out of the library and headed straight for the nurse’s office. The book was left forgotten in the library, and continued to stay that way for the rest of the year.

 

Step Three: Act like you’re not bothered with her hanging out with your rival.

Hitomi was fine. Yes, totally fine. Nothing to see here, nothing at all, unless you counted the fact that your love interest was hanging out with your captain-slash-love-rival right in front of your eyes!

 

No, calm down, Hitomi. You’re an adult with control over your feelings and actions. Just because they’re hanging out together doesn’t mean that they’re dating. Nako’s already said that they weren’t dating so everything’s fine. No need to be so jealous.

 

Why was Nako laughing? Did Nayoung say something funny? Or was Nako flirting?

 

No way, Nako wasn’t flirting with her. Well, fine. She might have been. That’s none of your business though, Honda Hitomi, Nako’s not answerable to anyone except herself. She’s certainly not attached to you (yet) so you really shouldn’t be this bothered. 

 

Oh gods, Nako’s looking over this way. Smile and wave, Hitomi, smile and wave. Her smile really was so beautiful, wasn’t it, with a dimple as deep as a canyon carving itself into her cheek. And those eyes… Hitomi could drown in them.

 

Ah, she’s looked away again.

 

Hitomi placed a hand over her heart, feeling it race beneath her palm. If that was what just one look could do to Hitomi, what more a hug or (Hitomi wishes) a kiss? She couldn’t wait to find out.

 

Step Four: Surprise her with nice things.

Near Hitomi’s home there was this quaint little cafe that housed a large variety of second-hand books and a well-curated collection of vinyls. While Hitomi was a regular enough visitor, she usually didn’t have the time to slowly go through all the merchandise available. Today, however, she was celebrating the end of an assignment, and decided to take her time at the cafe. She scoured through boxes stacked upon each other, through shelves that lined the walls, searching for nothing in particular. And then, out of the corner of her eye, Hitomi spotted something haphazardly tucked into a wooden box.

 

It had to be fate. There was no other explanation for it. She immediately pounced on it, ready to fork over an absurd amount of money for the book she held in her hand. 

 

It didn’t even cost that much, Hitomi later mused as she left the cafe. Whoever decided to give away the book was either a very rich person or an absolute idiot. Probably both. Armed with a latte in one hand and a book in the other, she marched straight to cheerleading practice. 

 

As usual, Nako was sitting with Nayoung in the bleachers, chatting about things Hitomi didn’t particularly care about. Skipping through the gym doors, Hitomi made her way to the couple. Nako spotted her first and raised a hand in greeting. (Hitomi considered it a win for herself when Nako left Nayoung sitting alone to run towards her instead.)

 

“What’s that?” Nako pointed to the small paper bag in Hitomi’s hand.

 

Hitomi pressed the bag into Nako’s hand. “I saw it and thought of you.”

 

Nako raised her eyebrows and peered into the bag. The gasp of pure delight she emitted had Hitomi grinning like a fool. Nako reac

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter