Ten.

Ricotta Cheesecake
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Why did Hyewon take up modelling, of all things? She watched the other models who had arrived a while later prepare for practice, and as they strutted around in their heels, Hyewon came to realise how unqualified she was to be a model. They were so tall, so slim, so elegant; they were everything she wasn’t. 

 

Sure, Hyewon was slim. But that was where the similarities ended. She was awkward and clumsy. Throughout her years at school she was given the ‘hyung’ title, as everyone saw her as a ragtag, boyish figure rather than the graceful being she sought to be. 

 

Standing next to the models, she could sense the intimidating aura oozing from the other models that made her feel like she was a peasant standing among royalty. Every time one of them tried to engage her in conversation, she forced herself to stutter her way through it, and could barely even hold a conversation for a minute before imaginary crickets started to chirp.

 

And standing on the humongous stage, the runway stretching far ahead, with these ethereal beings, was unreal. Hyewon could feel herself trembling where she stood as she scanned the stage. Everything was so new and so terrifying, and it took her everything in her body not to just collapse into a heap of panic.

 

She knew the only reason she hadn’t yet bolted out of the door was the woman who stood before her and the other models, directing them with simple instructions and observing them with clear eyes.

 

When did Kwon Eunbi become such a cornerstone in her life?

 

As Eunbi beckoned to her with a hand, Hyewon moved forward instinctively, guided by an invisible thread that linked her and the fashion designer. She was Eunbi’s marionette, following every instruction without a second thought. She crossed the stage shakily in her natural awkward gait, unused to wearing heels for prolonged periods of time, but gave a shy smile when the models applauded her for a solid try.

 

Maybe this wasn’t as bad as she had first thought.

 

“What do you think of doing a quick walk down the runway, girls?” Eunbi asked. “I’ll go downstage, see how it looks like from down there.”

 

No, Hyewon wanted to shout, don’t leave me here alone! But with the words failing on her tongue, it seemed as if she had gone mute. Eunbi climbed down from the stage, and when she did that, the stage suddenly became a lot more unfriendly than before. Hyewon shook her head when the other models offered her the first walk, allowing them to go ahead without her. She was more than content where she was; in fact, to be able to stand on this stage without breaking down was already a feat in itself.

 

The rehearsal went over in a flash, surprising Hyewon. Almost half the time was spent watching Eunbi glide around, both on and offstage, making note of what went where. The other models left first, waving goodbye to her and Sian as they waited at the side of the stage for Eunbi to finish up.

 

The air between them was stifling. Hyewon wasn’t as familiar with Sian as she was with Eunbi. She didn’t know her ins and outs, had never seen her without their boss, and most importantly, was extremely uncomfortable with the glares Sian would sometimes shoot her way if she got too close with Eunbi.

 

“Can I ask you something?” Without looking Hyewon’s way, Sian broke the ice.

 

“Sure.”

 

“You… what do you think of Eunbi?”

 

“She’s a really nice person,” Hyewon immediately said.

 

“You know that’s not what I mean.”

 

“It’s not?” Hyewon wondered, confused.

 

Sian tore her eyes away from Eunbi’s wandering figure to glance, eyebrows raised, at Hyewon. She shook her head at

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter