Nineteen.

Ricotta Cheesecake
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

She must be dreaming, except it was the sort of dream that ripped apart your insides and left you hollow. A nightmare, that was it. She must be having a nightmare right now, because why else would Eunbi be hearing these words? In her shocked state, she heard Hyewon’s faint voice in the distance. 

 

“I’ve been scouted by a fashion brand, and they want me to move to the U.S. for half a year,” Hyewon was saying. “If it wasn’t for you, I wouldn’t have this opportunity. I thought I should tell you before I leave.”

 

“When are you leaving?” Eunbi heard herself ask.

 

Hyewon hesitated to answer. She averted her gaze. “Tonight,” she mumbled.

 

Eunbi immediately got to her feet; the sudden action nearly upended the table. “T-tonight? What do you mean, tonight?”

 

“The flight is in two hours, and there’s a cab with my bags in it waiting outside. I just…” Hyewon reached out to hold Eunbi’s hands, her eyes beseeching. “I just wanted to see you one more time before I leave.”

 

“Have you told the others?”

 

Hyewon nodded. "I texted everyone else, but I thought I should tell you in person."

 

Eunbi’s brows tilted down as she fought back the whirlpool of emotions that brewed in her chest. “But why?”

 

“Isn’t it obvious?” Hyewon’s eyes softened. She brought Eunbi’s hands closer to her lips, brushing a light kiss across Eunbi’s knuckles. Eunbi’s heart leaped into , agape as her face grew hot. A shameless grin spread across Hyewon’s face; she was clearly enjoying the effect she had on Eunbi. “It’s because I like you.”

 

“You say that with so much confidence, like you think I like you or something,” Eunbi spluttered. She immediately regretted her words, but Hyewon only laughed.

 

“Who’s to say? After all, that night, after the fashion show… You might not remember, but you were the one who kissed me, not the other way round.” Hyewon shrugged. “Although that could have just been the wine.”

 

“It wasn’t the wine!”

 

“Ah, so you do remember.” Hyewon raised her eyebrows. “Do you like me, then?”

 

If Eunbi could spontaneously combust then and there, she would gladly do so. It would at least save her from the embarrassment she was feeling right now. It also didn’t help that Hyewon was still holding tight onto her hands, onto palms that Eunbi swore were getting very sweaty. Eunbi hemmed and hawed, struggling to formulate the words needed to express the fire burning in her chest.

 

Hyewon sighed and stood up. “Well, it doesn’t matter whether you like me or not. It won’t change my feelings for you. Just thought you should know, that’s all.” She let go of Eunbi’s hands and stuffed her own into the pockets of her jeans. “I should go. Don’t want to miss my plane.”

 

Hyewon turned and headed for the cafe door. Disappointment weighed heavily on her shoulders and made them sag. Pushing the door open, she stepped out into the cool August air and slid into the backseat of her waiting taxi.

 

“Wait!” Eunbi ran out of the cafe and slammed her hands on the window of the taxi. She tapped on Hyewon’s window and rotated her hand mid-air, a winding-down gesture. Amused, Hyewon complied and smirked at Eunbi.

 

“You know cars nowadays don’t actually have that crank to wind down windows, right?”

 

“I know I’m old, shut up,” Eunbi huffed. Taking a deep breath, she uttered the wor

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter