Seven.

Ricotta Cheesecake
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Nako loved her days off. It was nice being able to wake up late, nice to shuffle around in her pyjamas and bedroom slippers, nice to just lounge around in the apartment without a care in the world. Nice, at least until she started feeling really lonely in the empty house. And it was only ten in the morning.

 

Huffing, she got changed into a black blouse with see-through sleeves and a white skirt, ready to go out and explore. Glancing out the window, it seemed like a good day to go out. The sun was bright, birds were chirping, and a bunch of kids who were probably taller than her were playing outside. The unfortunate reminder of her petite frame made Nako also tug on a pair of platform sneakers.

 

No harm in cheating the system, she thought. Just because she was born small didn’t mean she couldn’t try to be taller. Flinging their apartment door open, Nako took in a deep breath of the fresh air outside that smelled a little bit like grass and a little bit like carbon pollution, and went on her way.

 

By habit, she wound up walking through her university campus. She followed the route she knew by heart, nodding at the few students who stayed back for summer school or to catch up on their theses. Heading for the gymnasium, she paused in front of the large wooden doors before turning the corner. For once, the vending machines in front of the gym were fully stocked, and she bought a bottle of cold water before walking into the gym.

 

The difference in noise level between outside and inside was astounding. The gym echoed with shoes squeaking on polished floors, balls bouncing with thunderous thuds, and the shouting of over a dozen enthusiastic students. Lord knew how these people could shout while run; Nako could only wish she could have their broken levels of stamina.

 

Nako found her quarry at the other end of the gym practising cheerleading moves and doing backflips. Blonde hair clung to Hitomi’s sweaty face, her cheeks reddened from exertion as she finished her routine with a split. The cheerleader got to her feet amidst cheers and claps from the rest of her team, grinning shyly. Her captain went up to her and offered her a small face towel. “Nicely done, Hii-chan. If we keep this up, we’ll win semis, no problem.”

 

“That goes without saying,” Hitomi agreed, taking the towel and wiping away her sweat. Glancing to her left, she caught Nako hiding behind a pillar, watching them with a steady gaze. “I think I see someone, hold on a minute.”

 

She approached Nako and grinned down at her. “This is unexpected.”

 

Nako shrugged, pretending she wasn’t embarrassed that she was caught so easily. “It’s my free day.” She pressed one of the cold water bottles against Hitomi’s cheek to cool the taller girl down. “You were amazing doing those backflips and stuff.”

 

“Thanks, babe.” Cracking open the water bottle, Hitomi took a big gulp of water. It was the most refreshing thing she did today, aside from seeing Nako’s adorable face. “Oh, that sure hits the spot.”

 

Looking down at Nako, she wiggled her eyebrows. “You know what else would hit the spot?” Hitomi leaned down to peck Nako on the lips. “That.”

 

Nako blushed but backed away. “I know this is a ruse to get me to hug your sweaty body, which isn’t happening any time soon.”

 

“Saw right through her, didn’t you?” Hitomi’s captain appeared from behind Hitomi and waved at Nako. “Hey, long time no see.”

 

 “H-hi, Nayoung.” A silly grin formed on Nako’s face when she greeted the captain of the cheerleading team. 

 

Narrowing her eyes at the reaction, Hitomi took that as her cue. She grabbed Nako’s hand and pulled her closer. “Nayoung, is it okay if I t

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter