The statue

White nocturnes
Please log in to read the full chapter

1,627 words 

Sunggyu went to see the famous memorial statue.

 

 

[SUNGGYU]

 

Sunggyu has always been an avid fan of myths and fantasy stories. 

 

There is one famous myth in the city he lives in. A beautiful statue in the middle of the city. The statue was dressed in an old traditional clothes. It is said that the statue was a prince who got cursed for falling in love with a peasant. There is one particular popular rumour circulated the statue, which is, whomever its soulmate is, the person would be able to break the curse if they were touching and the statue would once again be human.  

 

No one really knows how the rumour started. What they know is, one day, the statue was moved from a rural district. The city where it was originally from refused to keep the said cursed statue on their land, claiming the statue moves around at night. Many visitors would pay a visit and also try their luck to break the curse but to no avail, no one has succeeded. The statue has been so popular that it has been declared as a memorial place. As more years passes, people has started to treat the statue as another myth and no more. No one has try to break the curse anymore, instead it has become one of the most popular site to take picture with. 

 

Sunggyu remembered being so fascinated with it since he was old enough to read and understand everything he read and it has been on his list to visit the statue one day. To be honest, Sunggyu doesn’t really believe that the statue was a person before. In his opinion, it’s more believable to say it was carved by a really popular carver. The delicate and intricate design is what pulling people into it in the first place as the smooth carve is what makes the statue looks more alive. He’s more into the theory that the statue was the memory of the said prince instead of the real deal. He means, who would have believe that though? Even he, the self-proclaimed myth’s lover has his doubt. Whatever it is, the fascination over the statue has solely exist for its lack of source story.

 

Today is the day he finally has the chance to do so. So he wakes up early in the morning and takes an early bus there. He feels the excitement fills him as he travels closer to the memorial. 

 

It’s almost ten when he arrives. As today is weekend, many people has gather around the place. Sunggyu pouts. He has planned to take a picture with the statue for his collection but it seems like he won’t be able to do it anytime soon. He decides to grab a bite first then to fill his empty stomach. 

 

There are stalls selling food and drink scattered around the place. They sell lots of Korean snacks. There is one stall that particularly captured the man’s eyes. As he paddles his way to the stall, his eyes keep on gazing to the statue’s direction, waiting for the right moment. 

 

There's something he can't explain about the statue.

 

After getting his order of one hotdog and one tall iced coffee, he struts back to the bench near the statue. He knows he has to squeeze his way to the crowd if he wanted to take a picture anytime soon with the statue. He finishes his breakfast in record time and chokes himself in the process but anything for the statue he reckons.

 

Sunggyu doesn’t have anything to clean himself with so he wipes his hands on his pants, getting breadcrumbs everywhere. (The hotdog was made with a cheap bread apparently, but anything for a quick bite.) He walks towards the statue, and as if his luck is turning to his good side again, people seems to disperse from making a crowd around the place and Sunggyu manages to make his way next to the commemorate place with ease. He pulls his phone from his front pocket and lifts it up so that he’ll

Please log in to read the full chapter