Chapter Eight

Please Stay, Don't Go
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Please, Minjoo," Yujin said over the phone after finally finding the perfect set of light fixtures for her bedroom. "Can we pause for a while?"

They have just finished discussing over the phone and through email about some of the items that will be added to the new house, including the ones that would be customized—the upholstery, window treatments, and so on. It's what Minjoo usually does for work, so she's used to it, but Yujin was getting overwhelmed, wanting a break from it all.

Minjoo hesitated. "I need to finish some paperwork." She never intended to meet with the younger girl in person today. 

"Well, then, I'll wait. Let's meet after you finished work," Yujin said with a determined tone.

Minjoo finds it cute when Yujin is acting like this, more like a 7-year-old child than an adult hosting a popular morning show.

"All right. Let's meet in an hour."

She heard a scream, and she could picture Yujin raising a fist. She laughed at the image in her head.

The smile on her lips remained long even after the call was over, feeling like she was being transported back to a time when things weren't that complicated.

They decided to meet at a nearby park. The weather was perfect, with a refreshing breeze and a bit of the snug warmth of the big yellow ball in the sky, just awaiting its time to set.

Picnic blankets were spead across the tender green grass, as if to say that spring really is the perfect season for outdoor dining. Couples giggled and cuddled as they fed each other goodies from their baskets.

Minjoo's mood has definitely improved, like she didn't just spend the whole day looking at designs. She was glad Yujin was able to persuade her to go out.

Yujin. She has never seen her this happy. Today, she got a glimpse of the Yujin she used to know. Not the prim and proper morning host Yujin, but the child Yujin—the one who's bright and carefree and smiles a lot. She has to admit, she is more comfortable with this Yujin.

"Do you want to get some ice cream?" Yujin suddenly asked, halting in front of an ice cream stall.

It took her a moment to respond. She checked her surroundings and saw the banner with a picture of an ice cream with colorful toppings.

"Sure," she eventually said, a small smile forming on her lips.

"What were you thinking?"

"Huh?"

"You seemed lost in thought."

"I did?"

Yujin slowly nodded.

"I don't know. I wasn't really thinking of anything."

"Liar."

She laughed at Yujin's response.

"Anyway, whatever that is, I hope it includes which flavor of ice cream you're getting," Yujin added.

"If you really wanted to know, I was actually thinking of how much I missed this side of you."

"Y-you what?"

Yujin's lips parted a bit, her eyes grew slightly bigger, and her face turned a little red.

Not that she wanted to see Yujin in this state, but it somehow comforted her that she could bring out this kind of reaction from the younger girl.

She gave another hearty laugh. "Chocolate. I like to get chocolate."

With a frown, Yujin walked near the ice cream stall. "Two scoops of chocolate ice cream, please. With some marshmallows on top."

It was her turn to look surprise when Yujin came back with a medium cup of ice cream. "Just one?"

"I got us two scoops."

She suddenly remembered the time they ate pasta in Yujin's car with just one pair of chopsticks. "Sure. I was expecting to see you holding two cones, though."

"I like it better in a cup. Here."

She stared at the small wooden spoon being offered to her. "At least we got two spoons."

"I was half hoping they would run out of it, but whatever," Yujin muttered under her breath.

She heard her. "What?"

"Nothing. This seems like a good spot. Let's stay here for a while, shall we?"

That wasn't nothing. If it was, her heart wouldn't have beaten faster.

"Sure," she managed to reply, sitting at the bench that Yujin chose.

For a moment, they were just eating ice cream, savoring the rich taste of the cold, frozen cocoa slowly dissolving in their mouths. No words needed. Just an understanding between them, and their hearts and minds were at peace.

 

 


"What happened to your date with Wonyoung?" Minjoo was the first to speak, breaking the silence.

"What?" Yujin snapped her head so hard that she swore she heard it crack a bit. "Why are you suddenly asking me that?"

"I've been meaning to ask you about it before, but I kept forgetting."

Yujin stared at her curiously. "Why do you want to know?"

"I'm just curious."

"Well." The younger girl let out a sigh. "Nothing much happened."

"Why don't you ask her out again?"

"Why would I?" An annoyed Yujin emerged, replacing the bright and happy Yujin of earlier.

"Why not?" 

"Uhm, maybe because I don't look at her that way," Yujin said, followed by a roll of eyes. "I mean, I can see her as a friend or a younger sister, but nothing more."

"She seems to really like you, though."

"Huh? How would you know? You just met her once, or maybe twice, because of work. You said she's Sakura's client."

She shook her head. "She usually comes to our office to bring food. We work in the same building. Her office is just two floors above us."

"What?" Another surprised look. "She didn't tell me that."

"So you still keep in to

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter